Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

eddiewalker posted:

Are you comparing your 10yo, probably nicd tools to any modern lithium including ryobi? Cause I’m calling bullshit.

Ryobi is just weekend-garage-dad-Milwaukee. It’s built to a price on purpose. Where are you trying to pricematch these things? I thought Ryobi was a Home Depot exclusive.

I don’t own any green tools, but my dad does and they do fine for him. I’m really impressed that Ryobi maintained battery compatibility with their old nicd tools so my dad can keep using the clunky old drill he loves with modern batteries.

I guess he doesn't have one of the compact Li+ battery packs, mine lasted for a month. The internet tells me that that specific model of battery is nearly guaranteed to fail if you use/store it in really high or really low temperatures. Like, say a garage, in winter

My dad's ~8 year old Li battery and my 2 year old high capacity Li+ battery are fantastic, but every once in a while you get a lemon

Also, avoid any Ryobi branded consumables, you might as well just buy Harbor Freight stuff. The only one I've used that didn't fail way too early were the grinding wheels that came with my grinders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

One of the interesting things with this entire debacle is I think (correct me if I'm wrong) Craftsman C3 tools are made by Ryobi.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

peepsalot posted:

The drill looked and battery style looked very similar one they use on ISS and I suspect theirs still might use nimh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlZ_rPxNdBQ

Yeah, even ignoring lithium’s violent failure modes, I don’t think they would replace working, tested equipment that’s already up there.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hey I've got a generic obd2 reader from Amazon I've never used, ELM327. I need some android Software to erase someone's code, any recommendation? Seems like tons of them on the Play store.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Torque.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

As a side note, a lot of those Chinese readers don't work on Fords.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

FogHelmut posted:

As a side note, a lot of those Chinese readers don't work on Fords.

I think torque has an unofficial, paid patch that fixes the Ford compatibility issues

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I use ForScan on a laptop on my Protege5 (Ford ECU) and I'm trying to buy a non $70 Bluetooth adapter, since it requires some SAE mode that no knockoffs do. Any specific suggestions?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Downloaded torque and seemed to work OK on the Saturn I was trying to read. Looks like an MAF, so it could be worse.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

The Door Frame posted:

Also, avoid any Ryobi branded consumables, you might as well just buy Harbor Freight stuff. The only one I've used that didn't fail way too early were the grinding wheels that came with my grinders

Over time I've ended up with a lot of erbauer bits and blades, they seem consistent and reasonably priced.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I finally blew up my $14 HF angle grinder after 10 years of ocassional use.

I think I just exceeded the duty cycle grinding concrete with a cup wheel. Got a pretty spectacular fireworks show out of the front too.

I’m only about 1/4 of the way through this job. Am I going to get longer runtime out of the HF $40 one (or a real brand) or should I just buy more $14 deals?

edit: Nevermind. The $14 one is SIGNIFICANTLY shittier than last time I looked. $29 looks like the equivalent, and then it’s got a paddle switch too.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jul 28, 2018

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I guess a lift is a kind of a tool. Of the dozen ways it warns you about killing yourself, I can't figure out what the warning label in the center means.

Don't become an avenging angel of death?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Uthor posted:

I guess a lift is a kind of a tool. Of the dozen ways it warns you about killing yourself, I can't figure out what the warning label in the center means.

Took me a while: it's a nice little puzzle to ponder

blind spot warning

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

You can't see poo poo, don't run your co-workers over. Unless it's Steve.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Just used my new Milwaukee M18 jigsaw and it was awesome. Burns through 4amp batteries but it is nice not having a cord. Probably not actually that bad on batteries either since I started with partly depleted ones and cut a lot, and swapped when it read low rather than a hard death. I did notice it losing a little power at the end but not much.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Uthor posted:

Whatever you do, don't look at the man on the scissor lift, you'll melt like it's the Arc of the Covenant

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The scissor lift cannot push you up into heaven to attain enlightenment as a spiritual being.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Do not operate rad laser lightshows at the top because your coworkers will be jealous.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Uthor posted:

No use of psyonics or telekinesis while the lift is elevated

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Scott Summers is annoying, store him out the way thusly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

eddiewalker posted:

I finally blew up my $14 HF angle grinder after 10 years of ocassional use.

I think I just exceeded the duty cycle grinding concrete with a cup wheel. Got a pretty spectacular fireworks show out of the front too.

I’m only about 1/4 of the way through this job. Am I going to get longer runtime out of the HF $40 one (or a real brand) or should I just buy more $14 deals?

edit: Nevermind. The $14 one is SIGNIFICANTLY shittier than last time I looked. $29 looks like the equivalent, and then it’s got a paddle switch too.

There are two models of the :10bux: grinder. One is shittier than the other.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Platystemon posted:

It really is amazing we have to make a distinction at this price point for something that could explode.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Platystemon posted:

I think I paid 15 for the red one, but I had a coupon. I also replaced all of the earwax-like factory "grease" with some high-temp poo poo before I even spun the thing up the first time. I've beat on it pretty hard and it keeps coming back for more.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I think I paid 15 for the red one, but I had a coupon. I also replaced all of the earwax-like factory "grease" with some high-temp poo poo before I even spun the thing up the first time. I've beat on it pretty hard and it keeps coming back for more.

Please don't copy and paste a review from Backpage.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Colostomy Bag posted:

Please don't copy and paste a review from Backpage.

:laffo:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Don't forget the decimal when ordering drill bits.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
The price being 500x higher would tip you off wouldn't it?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe it was just a really good .300".

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

wesleywillis posted:

loving home wrecker ya got there

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

Before I worked there, I guess someone at work wanted to order like four feet of two inch round rod and mixed up the two dimensions. They ended up with a four foot wide disk two inches thick.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If a cylinder’s diameter is greater than its height, it is not a rod. :can:

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

R-Type posted:

loving home wrecker ya got there
"womb shifter"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Astonishing Wang posted:

The price being 500x higher would tip you off wouldn't it?

Apparently not. I saw that on fakebook. But knowing some of the people I work with.......

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That sort of stuff happens when you have a requisition system at a larger company. Guy A says to Guy B that he needs a thing, Guy B finds it on the website and orders it. Guy B tells guy A when it'll be there. Guy A never confirms the item or price.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
If you are in the Venn Diagram of homeowners and Milwaukee tools, don’t hesitate to pick up the oscillating multi tool. We just did engineered hardwood, and I’ve used this tool a ton. Now that I have it, I’m finding ways to use it more and more.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

savesthedayrocks posted:

If you are in the Venn Diagram of homeowners and Milwaukee tools, don’t hesitate to pick up the oscillating multi tool. We just did engineered hardwood, and I’ve used this tool a ton. Now that I have it, I’m finding ways to use it more and more.

Agreed. I love it especially for cutting in new electrical boxes in drywall, very clean straight cuts and corners. Also all manner of flush cuts, trim is a great one. I also used it for some cutting of PVC Pipe where I couldn't get a regular handsaw in.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Even if you aren't in the Venn diagram, you need an oscillating saw. I ran a Kawasaki ( :v: ) branded one that I ran till it burnt up, and just replaced it with a Porter-cable one that is now $69.99 (but I got Lowe's to price match Walmart who at that time had it for $39.99...)

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Fleet Farm has an in store deal for bare Dewalt tools $169.99 and up. Free tiny battery, charger, and bag.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
So I have a press-fit axle shaft seal technically its the impeller shaft seal on a jet boat, but its the same thing only smaller that wandered out of the housing it was pressed into only a few hours of use after installation via hammer/socket. Before I put a new one in, is there any sealant/adhesive that would keep this from happening again? Preferably something from a national chain of auto parts stores (or possibly a Fastenal)? Needs to survive contact with aluminum, water, gear oil, grease, and possibly steel.

Also, does the "dimple the outer metal edge of the seal once installed with a hammer and punch" trick actually work, or is that one of those hillbilly tricks that does more harm than good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Is the body of the seal where it contacts the housing rubber or metal? Usually most imperial sized seals (but not always) are painted/coated steel which help with the interference fit. If the housing is slightly worn you might, maybe, be able to get a seal a couple thou larger on the OD, but I'd probably use some loctite cylindrical retaining compound.