Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Pretty sure there was an alt text describing her as the conquerer of 33,000 worlds as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Chewbaccanator posted:

Wait what? Maya was a demiurge once?

"This throne was never yours, little king."

"So you all KEEP REMINDING ME."

"She's a washed up old drunk. And I am rebuilding her army."

honor Mathangi Ten Meti, Murder The Gods And Topple Their Thrones, who pleased her master with precisely one of her actions.

when she beheld the worlds she had ravaged, the palaces she had constructed over the corpses of her enemies, and the desperate hunger in the eyes of the kings who were her courtiers

and said "you know, I could really go for some noodles right now."

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Maya is a demiurge, and originally a general of the Middle Army and the conqueror of 20,000 worlds. It's strongly implied that she originally held Incubus' Key, and held his portion of the worlds, but apparently ditched this position for reasons unknown. Incubus gets mocked for not 'earning' his Key, and Jagannoth tells him the throne was never his. Incubus responds by asking 'Do you all think she'll take it back? She's a fat, washed up drunk'... which more or less fits with where we see Maya initially (though that's not a sympathetic description). The symbol in Incubus' throneroom is the same as was used for Middle Army, and Maya carries it still.

We don't know exactly what happened, but the general shape seems to be that at some point, probably late in the war, Maya abandoned her position and handed off her rank and Key to Incubus, who may have been her lieutenant. Since then he's overseen the collapse of the Middle Army into the Golden Army, with most of its leaders high on Incubus.

I think this is more likely than her selling her key to Mammon, because she is a Mendicant, who are supposed to rely only on what they are given. It makes more sense she'd simply abandon her trappings to whoever was on hand. My guess is that she saw the trap that Mottom has landed in and decided to avoid it in the most direct way, possibly influenced by the fact that her teacher (Meti) ended up living in a barrel.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Man now I want noodles.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

PMush Perfect posted:

It's heavily implied. She has a rather conspicuous scar in her head, and it would certainly explain who Mammon bought his key from.

Considering Incubus implies she was his master and complains that he's treated as a newcomer I think it's more likely that he received Maya's key.

E: f,b

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Right, forgot about that part.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I forget the pages but Incubus talks a bit about it when he's talking to Jagganoth within his domain

E: holy poo poo I'm so slow

Dr Cheeto fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 2, 2018

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

paragon1 posted:

Pretty sure there was an alt text describing her as the conquerer of 33,000 worlds as well.

That was this old tumblr post.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

wiegieman posted:

No, the bottom right panel is Maya. That's why Incubus goes into a rant about his old boss not being worthy anymore, because she became a queen and it turned to ash in her mouth, so she became a beggar instead.

ugh i meant maya, but checking facts isn't very Royal

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah, as far as we can tell Maya was once very powerful and then decided it was better to be a beggar than the ruler of 1/7 of creation and just gave it to someone arrogant enough to want it. And then probably had some noodles that tasted better than anything she'd had the entire time she was a ruler.

Chewbaccanator
Apr 7, 2010
Wow, thank you guys for the responses.
The Jagannoth <-> Incubus conversation had kept me wondering, but I did not make the Maya connection.
Better read more carefully from now on!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Do the demons killed in this debacle count towards Allison's six billion target?

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

one would assume so, as it seems frightfully inefficient to individually hack six billion demons apart with her sword

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

V. Illych L. posted:

one would assume so, as it seems frightfully inefficient to individually hack six billion demons apart with her sword

Aesma would try to do it like that but she'd lose count somewhere along the way.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Kai Tave posted:

Aesma would try to do it like that but she'd lose count somewhere along the way.

Aesma's frustration would only drive her to cut apart larger and larger crowds of enemies with the singular perfection of her brutal majesty, and reach her meaningless goal despite herself.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Allison's credentials when this is all over:

KILLED SIX BILLION DEMONS*

*includes deaths by proxy

Of which the majority of these were.

Oh God, I didn't know what the gently caress I was doing most of the time.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

A demiurge is worth 1 billion demons in value.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

wiegieman posted:

Aesma's frustration would only drive her to cut apart larger and larger crowds of enemies with the singular perfection of her brutal majesty, and reach her meaningless goal despite herself.

The greater lesson would be that the actual number of demons you slay wouldn't matter, it's the number of demons you believe and can convince people that you slew that matters.

Because who's gonna say otherwise? Some fuckin math nerd?

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Aug 3, 2018

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I'm sure her math tutor will keep her on the straight and narrow. Cio will surely cite from the most reputable of sources for her chronology.

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

I'm very excited for this training arc

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Just touching tips, no homo

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

well

that's certainly charged imagery

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
devils: not really big on the soft-sell approach

e: also that prayer right there is DEFINITELY a prayer re: fuckin'

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Aug 4, 2018

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

devils: not really big on the soft-sell approach

excellent username/post combo here

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

excellent username/post combo here

mods please change my username to She Of Many Flowers, Who Descends Upon The Spear, And Is Torn, Bless This Earthly Passage

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Abaddon's been reading Vivec's 14th Sermon again, huh.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
It's a nice touch how Allison's crown starts manifesting when she asks Cio out, too.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Fister Roboto posted:

I had faith that Abaddon wasn't just going to throw them into a cheap, unearned romance when there was never any reason to believe that Allison was even remotely attracted to Cio. It was all Cio being a creepy "nice guy" stalker. Now she's mad about carrying a printer for her.

just quoting this from several pages ago for no reason at all

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

reach heaven through smoking

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Giant Ethicist posted:

It's a nice touch how Allison's crown starts manifesting when she asks Cio out, too.

http://achewood.com/comic.php?date=11022007

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
we call that move the Roanapur

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Allison even asks for a date like a shonen protagonist.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Reene posted:

just quoting this from several pages ago for no reason at all

Cio is still a horrible creep.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Who knew Roast Beef understood royalty so perfectly?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wish i lived in an eternal twilight

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is it bad I knew that achewood was the one about kings before I even registered the dialogue, just from Ray's floppy-arms Sasquatch walk

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edward-sempai

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

paging avshalom to the thread for an expert opinion

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010