Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

If someone can, they will hire 10000 players and give them all the best warships and troll you for hours.

If they can't, there's no pvp and money is worthless because there's no conflict so you just fly around looking at space and blowing up npcs for no real reason

Pick one, buddy.
they had a full time makeup gal on staff not long ago

she's fuckin gone now too
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/821889625090179072

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Drunk Theory posted:

So, I've got to wonder, why did this particular uproar get two responses. Was Chris just bored and felt he should post some more poo poo to laugh at all the idiots giving him money?

Normally after one CIG response so the cultists get their marching orders they usually shut up and let their zealots handle things. But this particular issue got two responses. We're the zealots running out of steam on this one?

This round of criticism is getting right under his skin, especially since he already totally absolved himself of everything he's hosed up before. It's like the letter to the Escapist that took 8 hours to write, or the alleged AMD letter. A lot of "How dare they?" or "How could they not understand?!"

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Hav posted:

Kruschev's 'we will bury you' while banging the table with a shoe.

That was 1956. Khrushchev died in 1971 and was out of power by 1964.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

I don't subscribe to that point of view.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Morphix posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G42MQ1aVjlA&t=1972s

can someone get this award wining hollywood director some makeup, the backers expect excellence, and we can't have our lead protagonist sweating and looking all guilty

That is one fidelitious flop sweat he's sporting. It's like he's just had a bucket of grease thrown at his face.

There are automotive paint technicians out there who strive to get that level of shine on their projects, he literally has a good five passes of clear coat on his noggin.

You *can* polish a turd it seems.

Since he's been squirming a lot recently maybe he's going for the tactic of being 'slippery when wet' to help him evade difficult questions.

I could go on.

(I don't feel bad for going for the low hanging fruit rather than the bollocks he spouts about 'the economy' that doesn't exist in the game that has no ability to support one)

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 4, 2018

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

I see this differently.

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

Hav posted:

Layoff would imply that they're eliminating the position, so maybe they just fired his rear end, or he wanted a couple of weeks before starting a new job on August 1st. The third option seems likely to me, personally. People here don't always like a fuss when leaving, and sometimes you'll be asked not to talk about it.*

Or maybe even after labor day. Usually if you are switching jobs you may not have PTO until after your first year. So if you want to take a vacation you take a few weeks off between your end date and start date at the new position.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

I often browse this thread with a stiff leather belt roped round my neck to intensify the rubbing

your posts have replaced the need for that, my worn out makeup kit from sephora and terrible lies I would have to tell to my coworkers to cover up the purple spots thank you

Just imagine what you'll be like two weeks from now. :grin::iceburn::bravo:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

Just imagine what you'll be like two weeks from now. :grin::iceburn::bravo:
May I live a thousand years, and never call again.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
The game can't be pay to win because there are so many different definitions of winning. You can be the most dangerous pvper, or the most productive miner, or the fastest racer, or the largest landowner, or a transport baron, or ....

Wait, each of those goals is individually pay to win. Well, you can win at, uh, ....

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
how can you win at anything, when all life is fleeting

death, the great pay-to-win equalizer

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Maybe it's imperial date vs metric date.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

deekay at MOP posted:

jumped into SC to do a live local demo for friends at the meetup last weekend after 3.2.1 dropped and either it’s got some new issues going on or it didn’t like that i ddin’t manually delete the USER folder and it went like this the entire demo until i tried to log out in the master bedroom of the 600i lost gravity and died.

which to note if i had any custom in game purchased gear equipped on my ship it would then be permenently lost (until at least the next wipe when i would havbe all my money back to rebuy the gear or w/e) as is my understanding currently.

anyways a bit of egg on m face for this, plan to take a 2nd shot at a live local demo perhaps tonight or this weekend.

Chris Roberts, from the Kickstarter semo[/quote posted:

“I’m really excited about the physics!”

G0RF fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Aug 4, 2018

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I lose to win, and win to lose. This ouroboros of fail to succeed will keep me indefinitely happy with not owning any digital fidelity noclip flying Crysis jeeps.

I have already won the game. Sorry nerds. :black101:

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...

Fidelitious posted:

Crobbers just sent out another email update which has some bold claims in it and further extreme puzzlement about why people would be upset about UEC cap removed.

Confirmed guys, he knows what the game will be and what the design is. He absolves himself of these concerns.

As the object of worship of a religion, Chris Roberts and no one else possesses the power of absolution.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Space commies are th' biggest threat t' red-blooded American Freedom we got in th' future. So me and my boys got to talking over a few hot dogs the other day and this is what we came up with...
Star Citizen isn't "pay to win" because Chris Roberts has refactored that term. Pray he doesn't refactor it any further.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

SPERMCUBE.ORG posted:

As the object of worship of a religion, Chris Roberts and no one else possesses the power of absolution.

https://twitter.com/discolando/status/1025567028621467648Mood: Wistful

https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/1025540620553728001Mood: :sandance:

https://twitter.com/deepfocus40K/status/1025491762083717123Mood: :confuoot:

https://twitter.com/Dicefailure/status/1024123827251552256Mood: :pray:

G0RF fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 4, 2018

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

The Titanic posted:

I have already won the game. Sorry nerds. :black101:
Not according to your premature rub abandonment on the last page. You've yet to win.

Also in all honesty I am beginning to find this thread's predilections about p2w objectively a little bit of "the dreaming" we like to accuse citizens of. The conversation turns away from the jittering nothing and toward some sort of imagined scenario where out among the hundred systems one space chariot is blowing another up with $70 missiles. Yes, those dreams are very unfair. When in reality the game is and shall remain pay 2 wince as your grand space crysis jeep explodes because too many people looked at it and the server got confused.

EmesiS
Feb 5, 2016

My cell mate and I enjoy fantasy and role play. I pretend he rapes me, and he rapes me. Win win.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
All this talk of P2W is seriously misguided.

First of all, there is no "pay." It's a pledge.

Secondly, CR himself has floated down from on high in his golden cloud in order to enlighten us as to "winning" in SC: :iiam:

So SC cannot be pay-to-win, it can only be pledge-to-enigma, or P2? for short.

QED

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Fitbit

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
In a way, Chris is right. There is no winning SC since there is no game.

Its pay2pay.

Which is truly sad.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Wise Learned Man posted:

So SC cannot be pay-to-win, it can only be pledge-to-enigma, or P2? for short.

Pay to wait. But I know someone who has discovered one weird trick to wait for free. Game developers hate him!

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
I don't actually know anything about real-world or video game economics, but the $25-a-day cap is just too funny to me. I wonder if fewer shitizens would have complained if they capped it at $5 a day now that you can stockpile it it indefinitely. Enough of them tithe at $150+ a month anyway, so they might not have noticed much of a difference.

I find it particularly hosed up that the game is still years from release (it's never actually going to release), but anyone who doesn't buy $25 worth of UEC on even a single day from now on will fall behind the whales who do, and can never catch up. I could see somebody like Clifford rationalizing another $9125 a year. Not that there's ever gonna be an actual game to spend all that UEC in, but if I was a shitizen I'd probably find this rather demoralizing.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I found the mockup of the bar astounding.

Like no one who designed it really step foot in one.

SPERMCUBE.ORG
Nov 3, 2011

Joey, do you like movies with bulldozers in 'em?

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

What does this even mean? What does this mean account that pretends to be Sandi?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Awesome Fidelity posted:

Bonus spectrum thread

Ok, so the question was answered and the thread closed. Seems fair. But what if we do instead an APPRECIATION thread? What then?

:laffo::laffo::laffo:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Joey: "Wait a minute. I know you. You're Derek Smart. You write a lot of blogs."

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Drunk Theory posted:

What does this even mean? What does this mean account that pretends to be Sandi?

The Bartender AI is actually some of the most important in game. If you earn reputation by showering before you visit them, and wearing the gold weezie suit, they’ll be favorably inclined to share high credit missions with you.

Of course, you have to buy a few drinks first, and he only takes UEC, but it’s going to be a small price to pay to unlock those sweet secret missions.

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
I was going to make a joke about how even that bar is pay to win because the bouncer will throw out riff-raff that haven't spent enough, then I realized they already literally have that.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

YOUTUBE: GamerMax rejects Pay 2 Win claims, runs ship giveaway

:lol::lol::lol: at his part about “haters” who he plans to mock “for a very long time.”

He’s so in-the-know he made a “What to Expect from CIG at Gamescom This Year” video that lasted 20 minutes on his channel before he deleted it.

You’re doing it wrong, GamerMax. But keep doing what you’re doing!

G0RF fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Aug 4, 2018

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

this guy is legit stupid

give crossbar more money gamermax lol

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

TheAgent posted:

this guy is legit stupid

give crossbar more money gamermax lol

I’m dying at his Elite Dangerous discussion.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

They've been planning a bar where the bartender serves drinks and cleans up messes for at least as far back as 2.6.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

I just watched the latest ATV and I'm watching the RTV with the coked up bear himself. Some thoughts so far.

1. Man their effort for these videos continues to decline week by week. Now even the production value is majorly slipping. The sound is awful, their voices are full of static and the camera work and lighting is shoddy looking. Like YouTubers operating out of their bedrooms have better production value. I guess they figure that it doesn't matter since they are only preaching to the faithful now and only averaging around 20-30K views.

2. The new message from CIG seems to be "This is the game!" as in this broken tech demo of 3.5 moons and a space station is actually a game. They keep harping on the most boring and shallow implementation of mining in a space game somehow represents a cornucopia of content. They also keep showing "emergent gameplay" led by paid streamers soldiering through hours of crashes, bugs and sub 20fps to get 50 players together to virtual LARP fight each other over imaginary objectives. Teases of Hurston and other planets are almost nowhere to be seen, and they seem to be trying to slowly acclimate backers to the idea that no worthwhile content is coming soon and all they can expect is baby step mechanical improvements. The mythical OCS is still a Herculean and unprecedented feat of game development coming "soon", and no game ever has had to manage what is rendered around its player character. But 3.3 will still be the God Patch right?

3. Chris again mentioned the declining faithful congregation on Reddit, he seemed to almost be trying to rally the remaining hardcore Reddit commandos like Vertice and Kazan to even greater efforts for the cause.

4. Again and again they are trying to normalize the idea that this project is in very early days and will take many years to complete, even though according to Chris himself its been under development since 2011.

5. Chris on UEC "Ending the UEC Cap is not making SC Pay to Win because JPEG sales have already made it Pay to Win." Checkmate Goons!

6. The Vanduul look awful and their stick weapons are silly and janky looking, like someone's phallic insecurity in physical form. Even the Ferengi Energy Whip from Star Trek was cooler.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 4, 2018

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

trucutru posted:

I see this differently. The richest man on Earth (real world) can't run class 5 rapids or scale Mt Everest. His wealth only gives him access to equipment, but that's just tools useful only in the hands of a skilled user.

I see Star Citizen in the same way. You can own every ship and every weapon in the game and have an unlimited bank account, but having that wealth isn't any sort of goal in the game. The goal of the game is to experience it, and there is absolutely no reason that a person running around the system in his Freelancer won't be having 10 times as much fun with the game as the guy with 10 Javelins sitting in storage...as a matter of fact I would bet the game experience will be much more enjoyable for the former than the latter.

Goons!

I rest my case :smuggo:

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Is it just me or is Sandi's head, like, too big for her body? I'm not even trying to be a dick, I am genuinely making sure there's not something wrong with my eyes. She looks like big head mode on NBA Jam.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Here is some in game footage of bartender subsumption.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqrRKStaN_4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Golli posted:

They will counter inflation by keeping UEC pegged to the USD, and continuing to sell ships for cash.

I know they said (or implied) that they won't sell ships for cash after launch, but it's not like they've never lied before.

They will however keep the earn rate from in-game activities very low relative to in-game ship prices, so the $/effort ratio will always be in favor of cash purchases.

Correct me if I am wrong, and I am way behind in pages, but pegging UEC to the USD (having a fixed USD price for UEC) will neither curbe in any way UEC generation in game nor put a value floor to UEC. As a result hyper inflation will happen sooner or later. What EVE or WoW have done is to ensure that in game curreny is pegged to something that has a real and fixed value in USD, in their case, the subscription price, via Tokens or Plex. The Tokens and Plex value itself (in in game currency) is not fixed, it is subject to players supply and demand, but the system effectively gives in game currency a floor value based on how players value grind time vs subscriptions cost.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Aug 4, 2018