Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

iirc, the first time something like this happened to deku and he tells all might about it, he says he never saw the other o4a users like deku did

Except when recovery girl mentions right after that Midoriya also saw All Might, he says that is a good thing. I'm thinking that it's like an initiation. That OFA begins to share not just the power that others have built up in the quirk but also the lessons in the proper use of that power. Except if All Might told him about it before he was ready then it might negatively affect his growth as a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Dr Subterfuge posted:

The whole line is "We've long since passed the point of singularity. But don't worry, you're not alone." Deku still is his own person (:tinfoil:), and "you're not alone" isn't much comfort if you're scared about your ego merging with strangers or something, so that's probably out. It doesn't really seem like the world is past the point of Quirk singularity either, though the narrative has pointed out that Quirks are getting progressively weirder and more powerful. So maybe he's talking about One For All itself? Like, "This Quirk is already way too loving strong. But don't worry, you're not alone." That's not a very satisfying interpretation either, though. So yeah, dunno.

The last one is how I interpreted it. "I know this quirk is way too strong for one person, but we'll help you out."

Kinda makes me think that whatever happens, Deku might be the last inheritor. One For All can only build up power for so long before it becomes too much for anyone to handle, much less anyone who can be trusted with it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

A Single Sphink posted:

nooo, don't become the super special-est

He's the inheritor of the quirk that belongs to the greatest hero in the world who is literally the person that current society has been built up around. That's already what Deku is.

E: Though like he's the super special-est precisely because he was the least special before that.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Stexils posted:

despite it being a case of narrative necessity i really enjoy just how lovely a mentor all might is for deku

He's a great mentor, just a lovely teacher.

Does he even have an actual teaching degree?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

He's read "Teaching for total idiots". Basically the same thing.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Rhonne posted:

do any of the teachers?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Lunch Rush is pretty competent at his job

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
And Midnight really wants to wring out the fluids of the young male students.

It's just as well the hero exams don't seem to have written parts.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Kild posted:

do any of the teachers?

Please don't talk poo poo about dadzawa. :mad:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

gmq posted:

Please don't talk poo poo about dadzawa. :mad:

he's only a teacher because midnight signed him up

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kild posted:

do any of the teachers?

Ectoplasm seems to have a math degree. And he really gets into it.

Really, MHA seems better than most of these superhero academy settings at occasionally showing that, yes, there are regular classes on top of the hero classes, and it's a solid school... it's just that watching students study math and answer pop quizes is generally much less interesting than watching them punch people in the face.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Rhonne posted:

Well, had

Of all the previous OfA users, we only really know about 3 of them, All Might(who was quirkless), Nana(who we never got to see in action, so we don't know if she had a quirk) and the original user(who just had the ability to pass on his quirk). So we really don't have an idea about what the rest of them were like or if they had quirks themselves.

I'd kind of love it if they all had seemingly useless quirks and deku inherits them so instead of just kicking people real hard he gets to do more strategic and cool stuff.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
So, One for All is Star Platinum?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think the exciting thing here is that we have no idea what the hell is gonna happen next

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

Deku's deal is he was a no-hoper who got a chance. Giving him a quirk takes away from that.

yea giving deku a quirk is the same narrative failure as naruto actually being the hokage's son

Rouncer posted:

Except when recovery girl mentions right after that Midoriya also saw All Might, he says that is a good thing. I'm thinking that it's like an initiation. That OFA begins to share not just the power that others have built up in the quirk but also the lessons in the proper use of that power. Except if All Might told him about it before he was ready then it might negatively affect his growth as a hero.

there's no except. all might didn't know what it was, and I'm not ever gonna buy the concept that all might did something like that to make sure he taught deku right when he has no idea how to do that in the first place

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

I think the exciting thing here is that we have no idea what the hell is gonna happen next

Next will be Deku awkwardly trying to explain to Aizawa how his bed got destroyed and trying to get Momo to make copies of all the All Might merch he wrecked.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

All might didn't get dreams cause he did a really good job with ofa

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Okay, I'm really curious to see where the story goes from here.

Feels like I caught up at a good time.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

He saw them exactly once, and only when he was first coming into the power.

Regardless, this is far different.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think people are being a bit too credulous about what All Might said there, given that a page or two later he was established as having not told the whole truth to Deku. He could have been lying to a degree even, we don't know.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 4, 2018

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I interpreted the singularity line as meaning One for All's power and that, however it works or manifests, the past holders will help share and/or ease the burden on Izuku. Perhaps it's precisely because it's past the singularity that they can interact with him to this extent now. Whatever the extent of his knowledge on the matter is, All Might may have been the last wielder to be able to truly mantle the quirk under his own limits, and greatly underestimated the scale of power he was cultivating for the next user.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Counter point. all Might took to OFA very easily. His body could handle it without issue and beyond experience he never needed to develop the quirk. It's possible that because of being a natural genius for it that All Might simply couldn't unlock more than the surface level super strength. I do think deku having a secret quirk or the doctor having stolen his quirk would undermine the story. But I think expanding the scope of OFA with deku is fair game to making him the world's greatest hero

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
I have a question that may have partially been answered in the last issue:

All Might said that OFA is passed down through ingesting DNA, right? Midoriya got AM's power from hair. Since Himiko drank a little of Midoriya's blood, wouldn't OFA have been transferred to her?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

KittenofDoom posted:

I have a question that may have partially been answered in the last issue:

All Might said that OFA is passed down through ingesting DNA, right? Midoriya got AM's power from hair. Since Himiko drank a little of Midoriya's blood, wouldn't OFA have been transferred to her?

Has to be done with the original bearer’s blessing

It’s why AfO couldn’t just snatch it away

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Yeah, super strength aside, the thing that makes OFA uniquely able to stand against All For One is that he can't just steal it away.

They originally talk about it after the Stain fight, since he also consumed blood for his quirk. All Might thought Deku would be worried about it, but it hadn't occurred to him either.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Shere posted:

Yeah, super strength aside, the thing that makes OFA uniquely able to stand against All For One is that he can't just steal it away.

They originally talk about it after the Stain fight, since he also consumed blood for his quirk. All Might thought Deku would be worried about it, but it hadn't occurred to him either.

That was also where we learned the origin of OfA and AfO. It was exactly the same as in this latest chapter. I kept waiting for there to be some kind of swerve or reveal, but I guess not.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

oh jay posted:

That was also where we learned the origin of OfA and AfO. It was exactly the same as in this latest chapter. I kept waiting for there to be some kind of swerve or reveal, but I guess not.

This chapter was more an expansion. We see that AFO is Ursula and why he seems to understand how to twist heroic words to suit his purpose.

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I always thought the previous OFA users had the most potential for compelling stories so I'm really getting my wish with the movie plus the latest chapter of the manga even if it blueballs you

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe this wouldn't be very shonen but I always hoped the way it was discovered that OfA could be passed on is the younger brother is dying and his romantic interest kisses him and consumes some of the blood on his lips

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So what I find as interesting from both the prequel manga and this, is just how insidious AFO is. He has no desire beyond his conquering of Japan, to the point All Might is safe in America because he has no intention of chasing him there. But he also permits that UA and other hero schools exist. It seems ultimately his goal is to rule, but for society to function. It's really interesting because like with his brother in the chapter, he can easily claim that he's only helping people and they're just... friends. Crime is high, but heroes are allowed and in the end, that masks his existence, which he enjoys.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
AFO is perfectly happy with society and law existing so long as it serves his whims. I think the part where AFO expresses his delight that he didn't even NEED to tell someone to murder a faction of people who refused to join him is pretty much a perfect encapsulation of his character.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Aug 4, 2018

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Crain posted:

With the Sports Fest fight between Shinso and Deku, afterwards Deku mentions the shadows that broke him free and All Might is like "Uh that sounds scary and new".

Speaking of whom, the 4th popularity poll is open as of last week. Are we going to see Shinso once again break the top ten despite existing for a single panel during the gentle arc during the last 50 chapters?

Hopefully yes, or at least we see more of the guy. The way his powers line up against Shigaraki has potential.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I can't get over how good Aoyama's pajamas are. Of course he sleeps with a literal night cap

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

BioThermo posted:

Speaking of whom, the 4th popularity poll is open as of last week. Are we going to see Shinso once again break the top ten despite existing for a single panel during the gentle arc during the last 50 chapters?

Hopefully yes, or at least we see more of the guy. The way his powers line up against Shigaraki has potential.

the last popularity poll happened around the time shinso's episodes of the anime aired, that's why he got a huge spike out of nowhere

so going by that logic, someone like ms joke or tornado boy will do unusually well

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

the last popularity poll happened around the time shinso's episodes of the anime aired, that's why he got a huge spike out of nowhere

so going by that logic, someone like ms joke or tornado boy will do unusually well

Inasa Yoarashi, and he'll be THRILLED with wherever he places!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I hope Gentle gets a good ranking, he was great.

Also Ashido for top ten!

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Roland Jones posted:

I think people are being a bit too credulous about what All Might said there, given that a page or two later he was established as having not told the whole truth to Deku. He could have been lying to a degree even, we don't know.

That doesn't make sense though. Why lie about it when Deku is going to see more if All Might saw more?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/KlNGBUNNY/status/1025589214014889991

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Now that's a store that cares about its customers.