Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

And they've been able to track the jammers by looking at the signature of the interference being generated
Yeah that's the interesting thing. Some people have deployed sensor networks able to locate the jammers and are also characterizing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

prisoner of waffles posted:

truck driver doesn't like how they get treated when this information is gathered on them and brings a GPS-jammer on their drive

Wouldn't it be obvious that the driver was jamming the signal when the company receives no data on their routes? Is the truck driver shortage bad enough that they're not just firing these guys?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Inept posted:

Wouldn't it be obvious that the driver was jamming the signal when the company receives no data on their routes? Is the truck driver shortage bad enough that they're not just firing these guys?
Not sure why you'd immediately jump to firing the guy making minimum wage when it's way easier to prove a cheap tracking device doesn't work in every condition

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

anthonypants posted:

Not sure why you'd immediately jump to firing the guy making minimum wage when it's way easier to prove a cheap tracking device doesn't work in every condition

also if the cargo still gets there in an acceptable timeframe isn't that good enough for you?

*goes back to his cab, takes speed, drives for another 36 hours straight*

Softcox
Jul 13, 2004

But I will not hesitate.
Not for a second.

wyoak posted:

I just ran into an issue where some of our partners were pulling the incorrect IPv4 addresses for their payment processor (CES / FirstData).

The payment gateways are:
vxn.datawire.net
vxn1.datawire.net
vxn2.datawire.net

The correct IP's are 216.220.36.75, 205.167.140.10, and 64.243.142.36. However, our affected locations (in Alaska on two different ISP's) were getting 45.227.252.17 as the IPv4 address, which I think is registered to a web hosting company in the Caribbean. The HTTPS site at that IP is using a self-signed SSL certificate, issued on 7-5, for those domain names. The Hello World text is the same as the actual servers. This all looks like someone trying to harvest credit card records. Fortunately for us, our card processing software does verify the SSL certificate and didn't send any transactions since the cert wasn't signed by a trusted CA, but this is still really weird and I'm wondering how the ISP DNS servers are getting the wrong server. My initial thought was their router got popped by some bot since I'm sure no one updates their firwmare ever, but on investigating the bad records were actually coming from the ISP nameservers.

From googling around and trying different public DNS servers in that corner of the world, I found that the University of British Colombia is serving the incorrect IP as well. Doing an NSLOOKUP against the public servers listed on this page will get you the wrong IP (at least as of 8:54 AM mountain time on 7-13-2018).

One of the originally affected sites is now getting the correct IP information from their ISP (MTA Online), but ACS Alaska's nameservers are still serving incorrect info.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone else is seeing this and how the records were poisoned, and who I would go try to report this to if I was so inclined.

Interesting follow up to this post from last month:

https://dyn.com/blog/bgp-dns-hijacks-target-payment-systems/

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Heads up, two Linux kernel CVEs are about to drop, in the networking stack

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

hackbunny posted:

Rce or dos?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

No idea, they're embargoed and people are very tight-lipped about it. The rumored codenames for both include the word "smack", for what it's worth

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

hackbunny posted:

No idea, they're embargoed and people are very tight-lipped about it. The rumored codenames for both include the word "smack", for what it's worth

Oh, they have codenames now?

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Volguus posted:

Oh, they have codenames now?

Cant go public without codenames

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Thanks Ants posted:

Does it still not work on IPv6 networks?

No idea. We're gonna roll it out though, because our security department is a bunch of creeps :\

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

apseudonym posted:

Cant go public without codenames

Especially in August.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Endless September. :getin:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

D. Ebdrup posted:

https://twitter.com/hashcat/status/1025786562666213377

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

:rip:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

D. Ebdrup posted:

Beccara
Feb 3, 2005
SegmentSmack and FragmentSmack?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
What a bunch of losers:

https://twitter.com/blackroomsec/status/1026116256343224321

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sore losers, at that

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

hackbunny posted:

It's just DoS, but only takes a few very easily blocked packets.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

hackbunny posted:

What were they?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
goddammit, this poo poo was bad enough when it was a figurative security theatre. is every lovely dos vuln gonna come with months of embargo and codenames now?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Truga posted:

goddammit, this poo poo was bad enough when it was a figurative security theatre. is every lovely dos vuln gonna come with months of embargo and codenames now?

if you're not trending on twitter what even is the point

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Oh my God

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

rafikki posted:

if you're not trending on twitter what even is the point

:allears:
https://twitter.com/GNUr000t/status/1025939641206272000

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

anthonypants posted:

Truck drivers make a lot more than minimum wage.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jose Valasquez posted:

Truck drivers make a lot more than minimum wage.

Better fire them then, good point!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I'm not sure how practical this is for attacking a specific, suitably complex PSK. The example uses a lowercase alpha mask for 7 characters which makes it fairly trivial to brute a PSK made with those constraints, as it was for this POC. It's still an impressive discovery, and just adds urgency to WPA3 being ratified.

Also, any company using PSK for wireless and not EAP-TLS deserves everything that happens to it.

For personal home WLANs, just keep it complex 32 character alpha/num/special and let your neighbor's lower hanging fruit get plucked.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

hackbunny posted:

The first one, CVE-2018-5390, is out. It's just a DoS and I assume CVE-2018-5391 will be, too :ms:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Proteus Jones posted:

I'm not sure how practical this is for attacking a specific, suitably complex PSK. The example uses a lowercase alpha mask for 7 characters which makes it fairly trivial to brute a PSK made with those constraints, as it was for this POC. It's still an impressive discovery, and just adds urgency to WPA3 being ratified.

Also, any company using PSK for wireless and not EAP-TLS deserves everything that happens to it.

For personal home WLANs, just keep it complex 32 character alpha/num/special and let your neighbor's lower hanging fruit get plucked.

i thought WPA3 was ratified in June.

It's just not coming to devices until January, or whenever Qualcomm builds new chips to support it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It's just not coming to devices until January, or whenever Qualcomm builds new chips to support it
I didn't think WPA3 had been ratified yet?

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

hackbunny posted:

The first one, CVE-2018-5390, is out. It's just a DoS and I assume CVE-2018-5391 will be, too :ms:

FreeBSD is affected too, reported by the same researcher

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

No. The process to ratify *started* at the end of June.

Whoops, got things mixed up. WiFi alliance announced WPA3 at the end of June (probably late 2018 to see it).

I was thinking of 802.1ax which is supposed to be ratified and added to the 802.11-2016 standard (or a new 802.11-2019 created to supersede)

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 6, 2018

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Adult fanficcers beware:

https://twitter.com/kinoshitajona/status/1026642415224942592

More seriously (?), has anyone been following the Bitfi saga? They keep denying that they've been hacked, and are now threatening security researchers.

https://twitter.com/matthew_d_green/status/1026432597856006145

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/kennwhite/status/1025401519481470982

is the best thing in infosec this year i will fite u

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

evil_bunnY posted:

https://twitter.com/kennwhite/status/1025401519481470982

is the best thing in infosec this year i will fite u

Getting root to the device is not the same thing as getting access to the coins stored on it. The "hackers" shifted the goalposts pretty hard.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

AlternateAccount posted:

Getting root to the device is not the same thing as getting access to the coins stored on it. The "hackers" shifted the goalposts pretty hard.
You don't think it's possible for a rooted device, which can execute enough code to play a video, cannot execute code to transfer buttcoins to an attacker's address? Didn't McAfee shift the goalposts later to claim that his "unhackable" claim didn't include hacking by security professionals?

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 7, 2018

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

anthonypants posted:

You don't think it's possible for a rooted device, which can execute enough code to play a video, cannot execute code to transfer buttcoins to an attacker's address? Didn't McAfee shift the goalposts later to claim that his "unhackable" claim didn't include hacking by security professionals?

No passphrase/hash or actual data is stored on the device. Even if a rooted one can actually connect to the bitfi dashboard, without the passphrase that cannot be extracted from the device, it's functionally useless. They've basically abandoned storing anything sensitive on the device, instead everything's either in your brain or in the blockchain itself. That's how I read it anyway.

ozymandOS
Jun 9, 2004

AlternateAccount posted:

No passphrase/hash or actual data is stored on the device. Even if a rooted one can actually connect to the bitfi dashboard, without the passphrase that cannot be extracted from the device, it's functionally useless. They've basically abandoned storing anything sensitive on the device, instead everything's either in your brain or in the blockchain itself. That's how I read it anyway.

what do you think you could do with a rooted device the next time the user enters their passphrase to access their butts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

wait, so this is basically single factor auth? does the bifti device itself hold no purpose? lol