Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Is there a way to move or replace your base computer to be indoors once you have a spot for it? Having it outside is triggering my brainworms bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andro
Jun 30, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

I do wish Chromatic Metal wasn't such a vital thing to get in large quantities. I've got a refiner and it's not too hard to find copper deposits but there's still a grind involved.

Look at the alchemy chart someone posted before. You can multiply copper or chromatic metal easily with cheap mats from the market.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Knowing that I can have more than one base on a planet just made this game a bit easier I think. lol.

metasynthetic posted:

Is there a way to move or replace your base computer to be indoors once you have a spot for it? Having it outside is triggering my brainworms bad

Reclaiming my old base dropped the computer in the center of a round room for me.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've found the place! Finally. The only thing wrong with it is about every ten minutes, there's a rainstorm of literal boiling water, and you know what? I can live with it. It has metal fingers of uranium, a crashed freighter, floating crystals, sentient plants that look like Audrey II-- it has orange grass and loads of blue ocean. And it is mine. Now I wish I'd named it more carefully instead of calling it 'Nice but the rain is very hot' along with my usual naming scheme.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Found my first extreme planet. Scorching storms frequently and super cold nights. :gonk:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ToastyPotato posted:

Found my first extreme planet. Scorching storms frequently and super cold nights. :gonk:

Prior to next some extreme planets could have dual storms.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Got my free freighter! B-rank but not a lot of cargo space. Discounts on jumps though! Still broke but found a lot of cool stuff. I've been sticking around the Vy'Keen so I can learn more of their language.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

RBA Starblade posted:

Got my free freighter! B-rank but not a lot of cargo space. Discounts on jumps though! Still broke but found a lot of cool stuff. I've been sticking around the Vy'Keen so I can learn more of their language.

The filthy Vy'Keen won't have any language once the glorious Gek empire wipes them out

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Macaluso posted:

The filthy Vy'Keen won't have any language once the glorious Gek empire wipes them out

I'm just saying I appreciate a race that's both entirely dedicated to me and going out of their way to murder sentinels.

e: I swapped out my multitool for one with a grenade launcher and I'm pretty sure I don't know the blueprint for the ammo. Still, I got a freighter, a new ship, new tool, upgrades (sort of), a base, and like 1000 nanites so I think tomorrow is going to be moneymaking day. :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 4, 2018

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I gamed an infected base for eggs by jumping back and forth over the building to avoid the monsters it spawns and now I have 5 million dollars :getin:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

RBA Starblade posted:

e: I swapped out my multitool for one with a grenade launcher and I'm pretty sure I don't know the blueprint for the ammo. Still, I got a freighter, a new ship, new tool, upgrades (sort of), a base, and like 1000 nanites so I think tomorrow is going to be moneymaking day. :v:

I'm not sure there is a blueprint for the ammo, I bought a stack off the trading post. Also the launcher has stopped firing for me. My tool's other alt weapon (shield) goes fine with RMB but not the grenade.

Immediate edit: oh wait, it's scrollwheel-click that fires a grenade isn't it? Why do different subweapons use different buttons when they can't be used at the same time?!

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

How do you get the non portable refiners and things like hallways to connect round buildings? I have the first three hirelings (to get a farmer I need a bunch of something I’ve never even heard of), but I can only make the large round building, a door, and a floor tile.

And then there is the little problem where I did one of the Artemis missions and now I’m literally on the other side of the galaxy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

HopperUK posted:

Now I wish I'd named it more carefully instead of calling it 'Nice but the rain is very hot' along with my usual naming scheme.

I named mine by the climate and my name, so I woke up on Hot Steve, went to Bleak Steve and Cold Steve, visited Gasless Steve, settled into Temperate Steve

Next is Moldy Steve or Rotting Steve

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bruceski posted:

I'm not sure there is a blueprint for the ammo, I bought a stack off the trading post. Also the launcher has stopped firing for me. My tool's other alt weapon (shield) goes fine with RMB but not the grenade.

Immediate edit: oh wait, it's scrollwheel-click that fires a grenade isn't it? Why do different subweapons use different buttons when they can't be used at the same time?!

Oh, everything else needs a blueprint so I didn't bother to look.

I like how you can delete rooms from the freighter but delete the wrong one and half the hallways vanish because it was connecting them all. :v:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I’ve gotten in the habit of building bases inside trading posts and airports so that I don’t have to spend any money on building and I can shop right after I land. It’s like living inside the mall!

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh, everything else needs a blueprint so I didn't bother to look.

I like how you can delete rooms from the freighter but delete the wrong one and half the hallways vanish because it was connecting them all. :v:

Meanwhile if you mine large pockets of metal out of the ground, you’ll have random pieces of metal floating in the air that you didn’t zap.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 4, 2018

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So how do you get the blueprints for the stuff in that crafting tree poster in the OP?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So how do you get the blueprints for the stuff in that crafting tree poster in the OP?

Mostly by finding blueprints in manufacturing facilities and getting lucky. Try scanning with your collected navigational data to find buildings to loot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

You can build permanent refiners, farming beds and technician stations inside the freighter. I think it's time to relocate my base of operations to one that lets me use the freighter's storage as well.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I miss the enormous skyscraper sized rectangular mineral deposits that you’d find in the game at launch. I remember I found one that was just cities of enormous gold mesas that I could mine for hours

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Donovan Trip posted:

I gamed an infected base for eggs by jumping back and forth over the building to avoid the monsters it spawns and now I have 5 million dollars :getin:

That didn't work for me because I don't have enough jetpack to reliably get away every time and the one building I decided to try that tech on had unkillable ceiling fuckers that kept damaging me THROUGH the roof so I was taking damage even if I avoided the lunges. It kind of sucks that they disabled the multitool indoors (I'm guessing to prevent griefing). I am pretty sure I remember being able to clear out those ceiling plants from inside before. Now I have to cheese it by shooting in from outside, but one of the building types (Korvax?) has a wonky hit box on the doors so the plants seem to take no damage?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I do have an unfortunate tendency to forget the trigger button is confirm when typing things, so there's just a planet called S in my galaxy.

Forget what I was saying about base building earlier, it was just so long ago I plum forgot how it was done. Now the lovely (if a little hot and slightly toxic) world of Desalai is home to my swingin' space pad.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
The good ship Dulcinea (S rank, 23 + 6 slots, 2.5 million, very good value) going where barely any man has gone before:

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Mandrel posted:

I miss the enormous skyscraper sized rectangular mineral deposits that you’d find in the game at launch. I remember I found one that was just cities of enormous gold mesas that I could mine for hours

Oh, I don't. It looked too jarring and made every planet seem the same.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Prior to next some extreme planets could have dual storms.

I was on a planet earlier this week that was 98 celcius normally and had intense firestorms. I hopped out to check the temperature because my HUD was screwed up again and it gave me 6 seconds before critical damage - 320 celcius. The worst part was the story kept sending me back there.

But I have been redeemed, I found one paradise today with grouchy sentinels but everything else great so I started a base. I jumped into a Korvex system to get a scientist and hey, another paradise. Curitosity got the better of me so I landed to look - lo and behold it's utter perfection.

Sure system is a bit hostile and crappy economy but I plopped down a base claim anyway. I'll go back there and build a manor once I have all the blueprints etc.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I saw an exotic ship a couple of days ago that was a golden orb with white engines on it and like a fool I passed because it only had 16 storage slots and I was still looking for my multitool. Should've grabbed it, fashion is greater than inventory space.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
I think I'm sick of survival and am going to switch to normal. It just feels grindy but not harder. Just annoying.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
once i realized your exosuit holds more cargo than most ships/freighters combined i realized slots in ships are not a big deal

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
:frogsiren: NEXT is here! :frogsiren:

So, after testing some of my old saves after Next dropped I just went "Nope!" and restarted. This is how my trip turned out (Part 1):

First, it's kind of neat how every new game starts with this random mass of stars and nebulas just rushing into your face. I always rationalize this as you hallucinating after you hit your head in your crash.

Then you slowly wake up on the planet you crashed into.

Apparently Merry Nadhor, space explorer extraordinaire, got catapulted a good mile away from her ship and over a mountain. Impressive. And by impressive I mean it's impressive she survived this with a light bop on the head and some weird head-trauma induced hallucinations. :shepface:

Strange minerals everywhere, as if the smoking plants weren't enough weirdness.

I take it back. Apparently Merry hit her head a lot harder than I assumed, since she is suffering from severe amnesia!

It's either because of her amnesia, or because the translation device of this alien gizmo is damaged, but Merry doesn't understand anything here and just stands around gormlessly to the right.

And then the great space ship repair begins: This planet isn't really friendly enough to spent the rest of our lives here, after all. Also those giant smoke plants are even spookier in the dark.

After suffering through tons of firestorms and the scorching heat of just every day on this planet, Merry renames it to Hellstart. As in we started here and it's hell

Still, the planet looks nice enough, in a spooky alien kind of way. Also if you look to the left, you may notice me standing around for far too long making dumb pictures

The infamous starter ship. A piece of poo poo, but at least it looks slightly better in Next. Also it's still hilarious to me that whatever crashed us on this planet hit my character hard enough to induce hollywood movie amnesia, but not hard enough to kill her

So this very important part is on the other side of another mountain? Son of a bitch

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Bruceski posted:

There is a blueprint for the ammo for the grenade launcher, unstable plasma, I just got it yesterday. But I did get a whole lot of very high-level blueprints, including atlas pass v3, before this unlocked so it might be really rare.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Ratzap posted:

That always gets me when the story line waffles on endlessly about being sooooo alone. Every bloody rock has a frog dude selling hotdogs behind it.

I cleared 2 crashed freighters now and got less than 800k worth from both. The radiation leak each time you open a cargo box is another nice "gently caress you" as well. Eating sodium and oxygen like mad just trying to make a buck and they throw that poo poo at me for yuks. Still, I have a crappy freighter, 1 frigate, a wooden hovel, 22 slot tool and 2 fixer upper ships - could be doing worse.

Man, most of my crashed freighters I come away with fuel cells and launcher fuel. I'd love to average even 400k of salable goods. Out of like 30+ visited, I got a cyropump once.

I'm getting really annoyed with the inventory system. I had been gathering uncommon items since I have like 75% of the blueprints to make stasis devices, but got so frustrated with managing all these low-density items and the stupid "You're not in your freighter, gently caress you" and "You're not standing next to your storage cubes, gently caress you" I just sold most of what I've been hoarding.

I also just discovered that every door you add to a bio-dome consumes 3 of its growing slots, so you have to build a ladder to get in from underneath if you want all 16 slots. Except the ladder must go in the middle of the room below, so if you put domes on top of your teleporter or refinery rooms, you're out of luck. Guess I'll have to set up a farm elsewhere.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Ultimate Mango posted:

How do you get the non portable refiners and things like hallways to connect round buildings?
For purposes of building, the round rooms are octagons. Hallways can only connect to every other wall section (like they can connect to N, E, S, W but not NE or SW).

Edit: I’ve noticed recently getting hallways to connect while you’re standing outside the building is really tricky. It’s a lot easier to do it from the inside.

I’ve only built a medium refiner inside, but it gets plopped right in the center of a round room. So far, I only built a large refiner on a floor tile placed outside.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Aug 4, 2018

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Is there any kind of uncovered walkway piece that snaps to round / square buildings / launch pads? I'm building a base on top of a mountain and want to extend the pad out over the edge if possible.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Libluini posted:

Also it's still hilarious to me that whatever crashed us on this planet hit my character hard enough to induce hollywood movie amnesia, but not hard enough to kill her

I'm sure you're aware of this already if you've played the game before, but (story spoilers) you don't actually have amnesia. The Atlas simulation created you right there as a Traveller. You have no memory of before because you have no before.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

By the way, is the quick charge toolbar supposed to snap to the thing with the lowest charge? Mine just always starts at the Hot-Hazard thing, which is always full because I never spend any time on hot planets.

Also, speaking of the Quick Charge toolbar
"Oh hey, I have a lot of carbon, I should dump some of it into my mining tool & Sniper laser."
Quick Charge: Carbon
Oh, it pulled from a stack that only had 3 carbon in it
Oh, it pulled from a different stack in the other inventroy which had 10 carbon in it.
Ah, there, finally.

I really wish it would just treat the available resources as 1 pool, because it displays it that way.
But no, it just pulls ( likely based on which one is first in the inventory arrays.) from the first stack it finds, and if that stack empties, it stops.

It's a small gripe, but one of many that just keep cropping up over and over.
I wonder if they're going to ever be willing to overhaul the UI, especially to make a more pc-compliant one.
(The crafting menu itself is an abomination, and I don't understand why they can't just either let it craft intermediates automatically, or just drop them in a lot of cases.
Stuff like needing 1 iron plate for unstable plasma & starship launch fuel is just an extra press for no reason, you might as well just have it use 50 ferrite dust directly. )

e: Hello games please add automatic inventory defragmentation. I would love it if my stack of 200 oxygen in the cargo inventory would just suck up oxygen from the main inventory automatically, to make the inventory use as few slots as possible automatically.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Try looking for a veridescant world. They seem to be paradise worlds to me without bullshit storms.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
MY new trashtube ship shortly before space cops hosed me up....

Looking for stuff....

I really wish the stupid base tutorial would spawn so I can get my employees.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

They'll spawn in your new base if you make one and build the terminals, and the stuff you had in containers in the old base will appear in new ones.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Burns posted:

Try looking for a veridescant world. They seem to be paradise worlds to me without bullshit storms.

That's what the one I found in my starting system was, viridescent. (Thinking it's a portmanteau of iridescent and viridian? This is metaphorical only, of course, my particular planet is super orange.)

Dreadwroth posted:

MY new trashtube ship shortly before space cops hosed me up....

Looking for stuff....

I really wish the stupid base tutorial would spawn so I can get my employees.

I like the little nozzle on the top, makes it look like an enormous kazoo

Phy fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Aug 4, 2018

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I'm pleased to report that earlier in the thread someone posted a picture of putting a signal booster (the thing you deploy and put nav data to scan for stuff) in the middle of whispering eggs will prevent horrors to attack you if you jump on top of it.

It can prevent you from looting/shooting the eggs so I started to put it on the edge of the circle of eggs and I can usually get almost all of them, pick up the signal booster when done, jump on top of the nearby building for them to go away and repeat for each nest.

It's not really my idea of fun doing these eggs but when I find some, doing this for 2-3 nests will net you a nice sum in the midst of whatever you were already doing when you encountered that building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Cantorsdust posted:

I'm sure you're aware of this already if you've played the game before, but (story spoilers) you don't actually have amnesia. The Atlas simulation created you right there as a Traveller. You have no memory of before because you have no before.

Yes, I know. But I don't really like stories trying too hard, especially not in a sandbox-game. The freedom of a sandbox-game works best with minimal or unintrusiv story. And NMS cheeky ha ha you aren't real you're in a simulation -shtick would only be interesting in a story-driven game.

NMS however, is an incredibly bad fit for what the devs wanted to tell, so to prevent my enjoyment from evaporating, I've decided long ago to agressively roleplay as if 90% of the devs story doesn't exist and replaced it with a more fitting story in my mind.