Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Phi230 posted:

Does anybody have any experience using Woodland Scenics water stuff?

It's okay. Good for shallow puddles and the like. It can take quite a while to dry though, and can shrink and bow inward if there's any real depth to it.

If you want to have depth more than 1/8th of an inch, you'd be better served going with a 2-part clear casting resin. You can get stuff like Cast'nCraft or EasyCast at places like Michael's for pretty cheap.

Even a 2-Part epoxy glue can work for very small puddles. That can tend to yellow over time though, which may work for you if the water is scummy. You can avoid yellowing though by adding just the faintest amount of purple paint to the glue. So little that you can barely even tell you added it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Finished up my first real mini painting! Death Guard kill team! I wanted to do something that wasn't the usual brown and green I see with the nurgle guys.
Album here: https://imgur.com/a/o7QqEtQ

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Citadel's Age of Sigmar Paint + Tools set actually doesn't seem like too bad of a deal. I've seen it for like ~$35 and it comes with 13 full sized (for GW anyways) paint pots, clippers, mini-mouldline scraper, and brush. The palette selection is a little limited but it does come with some neat ones like the new Nighthaunt Gloom and Retributor Armor is a fairly decent gold.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

darnon posted:

Citadel's Age of Sigmar Paint + Tools set actually doesn't seem like too bad of a deal. I've seen it for like ~$35 and it comes with 13 full sized (for GW anyways) paint pots, clippers, mini-mouldline scraper, and brush. The palette selection is a little limited but it does come with some neat ones like the new Nighthaunt Gloom and Retributor Armor is a fairly decent gold.

The new ones with the full paint pots look good, yeah.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

That Gobbo posted:

Finished up my first real mini painting! Death Guard kill team! I wanted to do something that wasn't the usual brown and green I see with the nurgle guys.
Album here: https://imgur.com/a/o7QqEtQ

That looks really great! The tints of green on the weapons are a nice touch. It reminds me that I want to do something in a purple/green scheme (maybe those Guardians I got).

How did you do the green slime effect/color?

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

That looks really great! The tints of green on the weapons are a nice touch. It reminds me that I want to do something in a purple/green scheme (maybe those Guardians I got).

How did you do the green slime effect/color?

Thanks!

I did the green slime with a base color of TAP Witch Brew, then a layer of TAP Poisonous Cloud, wash with TAP Green Tone, drybrush of TAP Poisonous Cloud, then finish with a brushing of Future for gloss.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

Archenteron posted:

As someone who uses a lot of TAP paints and their metallics a lot: I liken Rough Iron to an un-seasoned cast iron. Hitting it with a green wash kills the red and gives it some good age/tarnish/not-rust darkening. Bright Gold is also pretty anemic. Haven't tried gun metal yet, but Shining Silver and True Copper are both pretty good.

I don't mind Greedy Gold's hue, but I don't have any Bright Gold to stack it up against. It's just that it's a very straight, ordinary gold hue with evident mica flakes, and the Tamiya X-12 has a finer finish and captures a little more of how gold looks (at least to me) when it's seen under light. I've got a pot of true copper that I haven't had a chance to use yet but I'm pretty much in love with Weapon Bronze so I look forward to it.

EDIT:
And by in love, I mean I completely changed up my minotaur army's paint scheme to use bronze rather than steel.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Those purple plauge boys are devastating. I can't handle them. I have to lay down. I can't believe I didn't do that. Gorgeous.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
I know a lot of people have been waiting with baited breath for some model pics from me, so here we go!

I finished this guy a little while back:

Just kidding, here's the Astraeus:

Don't shoot at me or my son ever again.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
holy gently caress :vince:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
God please don't ruin my beautiful little boys

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Does there exist a good reference for paint schemes for Space Marines, or other GW stuff? I was searching a bit online, and I found that there were some books released that outlined schemes, but also shoulder-pad symbols for company and rank.

Here's a snapshots from one book I came across while searching online:
http://pro.bols.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DSC05972.jpg

I ask because I ordered a set of the Blood Angel Tactical Marines today, and I thought it might help out with some of the details. On top of that, I'm also not sure what colors to paint some of the other models. The default colors for the Guardians are red, but I've seen other colors for them.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Aug 4, 2018

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Ok, so I'm painting metal miniatures. I've apparently hosed up by using a Tamiya spray paint for primer (since that's what the local hobby shop had, and I wanted to spray that very day). The guys are chipping like crazy even now that I'm putting down base coats over the sprayed paint.

Would it work to spray a layer of varnish over the paint, to keep it from chipping, or would I be better off either just dealing with it and repairing the paint job until I can varnish, or give up and strip 'em and prime them properly? I'd really not want to do the last option as we're talking some 80 minis with various stages of base coats, but if the end result will be an unplayable force, I might have to go apocalyptic on them. :(

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Max Wilco posted:

Does there exist a good reference for paint schemes for Space Marines, or other GW stuff? I was searching a bit online, and I found that there were some books released that outlined schemes, but also shoulder-pad symbols for company and rank.

Here's a snapshots from one book I came across while searching online:
http://pro.bols.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/DSC05972.jpg

I ask because I ordered a set of the Blood Angel Tactical Marines today, and I thought it might help out with some of the details. On top of that, I'm also not sure what colors to paint some of the other models. The default colors for the Guardians are red, but I've seen other colors for them.

The Citadel Paint app on phones has all that stuff. You can search by primary colour, or by miniature. So, if you wanted to see what paints you need to get the canonical Space Wolves armour colour, then just search for Space wolves and select the Space Wolf Intercessor and you get an annotated picture of one, complete with painting steps for layering or drybrushing.

Gunder fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 4, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Jesus Dan that looks amazing.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

https://twitter.com/ravenmaster1/status/1025644345033191424?s=12

The corvid approves.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 4, 2018

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Yeah, it's a lot of edge highlighting, but everything just looks so... flat with it being largely unshaded.

TheKingsl4yer
Jul 12, 2018

The Sex Cannon posted:

[quote="The Sex Cannon" post="486740360"]

Just kidding, here's the Astraeus:

Don't shoot at me or my son ever again.

Looks loving rad though

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

The flat black + light grey edge highlighting on the Astraeus makes it look like it's on some Tron poo poo and I'm definitely here for that.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

darnon posted:

Yeah, it's a lot of edge highlighting, but everything just looks so... flat with it being largely unshaded.

Where's your Astraeus?

Also, lemme know when you come up with a good way to shade black.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Well the trick is to not start with black and have black as the shade

It's cool and an epic big thing though :coal:, just be willing to accept criticism along with the praise

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
i think that giant tank looks really cool

Gunder
May 22, 2003

There’s nothing wrong with starting with a pure black base. Games Workshop does that for Deathwatch armour, and (with good highlights) it looks great. Nice Astreus!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I like the recommendation of using a black with a very light dark blue or purple tint. It adds more depth to the black and gives you an opportunity to shade it with a black wash. I think P3 has a coal black color which is close to that.

Regardless, I loving love that Astraeus and it almost makes me want to buy one. Almost.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I like the recommendation of using a black with a very light dark blue or purple tint. It adds more depth to the black and gives you an opportunity to shade it with a black wash. I think P3 has a coal black color which is close to that.

Regardless, I loving love that Astraeus and it almost makes me want to buy one. Almost.

Your bone recipe on the turret would be pretty rad

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Wait, is it done?

I use coal black for the Bolter casings on my Marines and it's a very very blue black I don't think it would look good as a base layer

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Pendent posted:

Your bone recipe on the turret would be pretty rad

Yeah all the edges would really go well with it. I was actually thinking that would be a fun way to do vehicles for my marines; reverse the approach and use primarily bone with purple accents.

Eifert Posting posted:

I use coal black for the Bolter casings on my Marines and it's a very very blue black I don't think it would look good as a base layer

Have you tried washing it with a dark tone afterwards?

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

Well the trick is to not start with black and have black as the shade

It's cool and an epic big thing though :coal:, just be willing to accept criticism along with the praise

I'll accept criticism if it's worth a poo poo.

As long as people keep telling me to shade my black, I'll keep being flippant.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The Sex Cannon posted:

I'll accept criticism if it's worth a poo poo.

As long as people keep telling me to shade my black, I'll keep being flippant.

It was valid criticism, sorry you can't see that

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
drat some extremely gracious acceptance of constructive criticism going on :laffo:

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah all the edges would really go well with it. I was actually thinking that would be a fun way to do vehicles for my marines; reverse the approach and use primarily bone with purple accents.

Have you tried washing it with a dark tone afterwards?

You should definitely do that yeah. I feel like the metallic purple would be a bit too much as the primary color but the bone would look super good. What vehicles are you thinking about painting in the nearish future? I'm pretty curious to see how something like a Repulsor would turn out.

Pendent fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Aug 4, 2018

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I mean the dude probably has, conservatively about 3,000 points of that army painted up. Choosing black is a base is obviously a conscious decision at this point that he's committed to. If he were to suddenly just change the tone of the black for one model that won't look good, and the scheme that he's using for Raven guard is basically the default scheme suggested by GW.

Also it's a loving astraeus. Let he who has painted 5 kilos of resin this month cast the first stone.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
I think a few extra white panels would help break it up. The metallics look really flat it some pictures as well, like the ammo thingo on the turret and jets on the back look fairly flat. You could also very subtly glaze some panels with agrax earth shade to add some variation to the black without compromising it looking out of place with everything else. But looking at it next to the repulsor it really looks like an unreadable blob.

Also did you varnish it differently then the repulsor looks shinier?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The Sex Cannon posted:

Where's your Astraeus?

Also, lemme know when you come up with a good way to shade black.

I wish I had a giant flashing gif that said VALLEJO MODEL COLOUR BLACK-GREY over and over

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
^ This man gets it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Dan strip all of your Raven Guard and paint them dark gray instead

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
It's like a wireframe model, which I'm down with.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
NO FIGHTING IN THE MODEL WAR THREAD!!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
That tank matches the rest of his army and looks badass.

My question is, how are the Raven Guard being all stealthy while rolling around in that big gently caress off tank?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Bucnasti posted:

That tank matches the rest of his army and looks badass.

My question is, how are the Raven Guard being all stealthy while rolling around in that big gently caress off tank?

If you don't leave any witnesses, does it still count as being stealthy?