Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Plastik posted:

I mean, all the MCU movies did is remove a plot hole where a high school student at a technology magnet school can make an attractive, practical, breathable, durable, combat-resilient full-body suit in the space of a few weeks on a freelance photographer's budget.

Don't get me wrong, I'd enjoy a movie that was Peter Parker watching Youtube videos and trying to cobble together a super-suit, only to face the realization over and over that there's a stark (heh) difference between Comic-Con cosplays and real, actual combat clothing. Might be fun if he's running around in hastily-debranded Under Armor and milsurp in somewhat-matching colors, proving to be a real, competent superhero before Tony shows up and gives him a suit because he's just embarrassing himself.

We didn't get that movie, and I doubt most people would have identified with it, but I'd like to imagine that those events did occur more or less while he was filming his Youtube videos.

The way you describe the costume I don't think we're talking about the same thing. The classic Spider-Man costume is just conventional materials and fabrics, the same as it was in other Spider-Man movies. No durability, resiliency, or combat-readiness, and the joke's often been that it's not particularly comfortable or breathable.

If you can't believe a teenager could make a classic Spider-Man costume fit for a Hollywood production, that's fine (though it's not a plot hole), but part of the criticism of Peter getting the suit from Stark in Civil War is that Spider-Man did not actually design the Spider-Man look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Plastik posted:

I mean, all the MCU movies did is remove a plot hole where a high school student at a technology magnet school can make an attractive, practical, breathable, durable, combat-resilient full-body suit in the space of a few weeks on a freelance photographer's budget.

Don't get me wrong, I'd enjoy a movie that was Peter Parker watching Youtube videos and trying to cobble together a super-suit, only to face the realization over and over that there's a stark (heh) difference between Comic-Con cosplays and real, actual combat clothing. Might be fun if he's running around in hastily-debranded Under Armor and milsurp in somewhat-matching colors, proving to be a real, competent superhero before Tony shows up and gives him a suit because he's just embarrassing himself.

We didn't get that movie, and I doubt most people would have identified with it, but I'd like to imagine that those events did occur more or less while he was filming his Youtube videos.

ASM did a great job demonstrating how Peter cobbled together the suit and Raimi's films at least paid lip service to it. I don't even really give a gently caress about any of that. I just didn't care for so much Iron Man and Tony Stark in my Peter Parker Spiderman movie and didn't think it was a good fit or that was executed very well. I liked most everything else about Homecoming but the computer interface and video gamey unlocking upgrades and poo poo just didn't work for me and I didn't think it was rally needed to drive the story.

That's all. Personal preference I guess that I didn't care for.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I think having Peter design his own suit makes sense for the Raimi Spiderman where he is fundamentally a loner who his power isolates. But the Homecoming Spiderman is about a Peter in contact with a wider community of comrades and confidants, and his major struggle is figuring out his identity within that.

So it doesn't make sense thematically for him to individually make his suit from scratch, symbolically creating his identity, at the very start of his arc. Maybe in the third film he could make his own suit or something but he's nowhere near that point.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I liked Kick-rear end designing his own suit

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I thought it was different and interesting and fun to see Spider-Man have superparents in the form of Tony and Karen.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i think the ai stark-driven suit lends credibility that a middle aged billionaire with experience in profound failure would trust a 15 year old kid to go out and play superhero

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
Well he did lock up most of the more dangerous Fe. Unfortunately the fifteen year old kid and all his friends happen to be science prodigies who hacked the suit with a laptop.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I liked Kick-rear end designing his own suit

I liked Bruce designing his suit in Batman Begins.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Jamesman posted:

I thought it was different and interesting and fun to see Spider-Man have superparents in the form of Tony and Karen.

Yeah. It was an interesting dynamic that doesn’t go against what makes Spider-Man Spider-Man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BiggerBoat posted:

I liked Bruce designing his suit in Batman Begins.

The twangy guitar riff during the costume design scene in the first Raimi Spider-Man is one of my favourite pieces of music in the whole trilogy. It sounds like a Spider-Man theme song.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Watching yet another 10 minute montage of Peter building his suit wouldn’t have been very entertaining.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember seeing that parody video with Jack Black designing Spider-Man suits and drawing pictures of a biker and a sailor then labelling "NOT GAY ENOUGH" or "TOO GAY" and then drawing the Spider-Man costume and writing "EXACTLY THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF GAY" and for quite some time afterwards I thought that was actually in the movie.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Today my sister decided to tell me that her theory is that Strange threw the Time Stone into the future, the heroes used it to win, and then threw it back in time to him so he could give it to Thanos. It shattered my brain, but I'm also kind of in love with it.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Strange saw only one possible scenario where Thanos is beaten, which means he made it to the end. If we are on that path, that means he has to be alive in some form.

OR the scenario he saw was one that already got hosed up (where the win he saw was one where The Snap didn't happen), and now he's dead, and everyone's just gonna have to wing it and hope they can do some of that avenging that they do.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Jamesman posted:

Strange saw only one possible scenario where Thanos is beaten, which means he made it to the end. If we are on that path, that means he has to be alive in some form.
Just because he saw it in the present doesn't necessarily mean that he was there for that scenario

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

SonicRulez posted:

Yes. Though in 06's case, the game fans asked for is not the one that was released.

I'm at a point where if you want a "dark and gritty" anything, you're wrong. I don't care if it's The Punisher vs A second Punisher.

Chocolate Oreo ice cream.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

SonicRulez posted:

Today my sister decided to tell me that her theory is that Strange threw the Time Stone into the future, the heroes used it to win, and then threw it back in time to him so he could give it to Thanos. It shattered my brain, but I'm also kind of in love with it.

Your sister could have written comics in the silver age.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

mikeraskol posted:

This doesn’t even make sense. His OG costume was Parker-made, he was wearing it in the videos Tony watched to initially find Peter (in Civil War) and he went back to it when Tony took the costume away. Am I missing something here?

Also, on rewatch, Infinity War still owns and I still cannot get over the massive spectacle of the thing that I literally never could have thought would be possible.

I should have phrased that better. By the OG, I meant his classic costume everyone knows. I feel like it should be something he made. Same for his webshooters, which he obviously did make originally, but in Homecoming it's shown that the suit has a bunch of different webshooter options built in. I'm not saying that I dislike the movie or that a Stark suit is a grievous sin that destroys my enjoyment of the film, but I feel like the first costume should be Peter's. Don't get me wrong though, by no means am I asking for another montage of Peter making his suit and shooters like the previous franchises, we've seen that.

Plus if nothing else, Spider-Man's costume just seems like a weird suit design to come from Tony. I mean the comic Iron Spider is red and gold and Tony even says it's because he made it, and Infinity War's Iron Spider has a black and gold scheme changing things up, but the first costume is... different. I remember reading a piece (maybe by Chris Sims, I can't remember) talking about how weird Spider-Man's costume is when you think about it and how it shouldn't work but it does somehow, and I feel like it's something a teenager would make, not an industrialist that's been making superhero super suits for years. But to each their own, I get that I'm seemingly in the minority.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TwoPair posted:

I should have phrased that better. By the OG, I meant his classic costume everyone knows. I feel like it should be something he made. Same for his webshooters, which he obviously did make originally, but in Homecoming it's shown that the suit has a bunch of different webshooter options built in. I'm not saying that I dislike the movie or that a Stark suit is a grievous sin that destroys my enjoyment of the film, but I feel like the first costume should be Peter's. Don't get me wrong though, by no means am I asking for another montage of Peter making his suit and shooters like the previous franchises, we've seen that.

Plus if nothing else, Spider-Man's costume just seems like a weird suit design to come from Tony. I mean the comic Iron Spider is red and gold and Tony even says it's because he made it, and Infinity War's Iron Spider has a black and gold scheme changing things up, but the first costume is... different. I remember reading a piece (maybe by Chris Sims, I can't remember) talking about how weird Spider-Man's costume is when you think about it and how it shouldn't work but it does somehow, and I feel like it's something a teenager would make, not an industrialist that's been making superhero super suits for years. But to each their own, I get that I'm seemingly in the minority.

Eh, I think you get enough of that from Peter's first costume that he did make, that you see briefly in Civil War and he wears for the climax of Homecoming. He's built a few gadgets into it and Stark's suit is clearly based on the costume Peter already made for himself.

I mainly just think MCU Peter is pretty different from the standard idea of Peter Parker. He's a late-comer to the world of superheroes, and he's been taken under the wing of a veteran hero who sees great potential in him. I think that story works, even if it's not Peter's usual story. Tony clearly sees Peter as being him but better, without Tony's profound character flaws and undamaged by the things Tony's endured. Tony's looking at Peter and trying to teach him to not make the mistakes Tony did. And I like that take.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Christopher Robin is a Disney movie and I've heard it has a post-credits scene, so get ready for Winnie the Pooh as an Avenger.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Lobok posted:

Christopher Robin is a Disney movie and I've heard it has a post-credits scene, so get ready for Winnie the Pooh as an Avenger.

Please tell me everyone, including Pooh, turns to ash.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh bother... I've got a rumbly in my tumbly...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
There's a thing Jim Cummings does sometimes at convention appearances where he reads lines in Pooh's voice. The best one is Darth Vader.

"The Death Star plans are not in the main computer."
"<sigh> Oh, bother."

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

More than any suit stuff I think I'm one of the few people bothered by the scrubbing of Uncle Ben from MCU Peter. I understand that this is an unpopular opinion, and I wouldn't want a whole flashback or whatever, but maybe a couple of lines or a graveside scene. Just something more than the vague allusions in the films currently.

I just think, to me, guilt and what it can do to you and how it can change you is one of the core elements of the character and it has been kind of absent.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Now that Infinity War is out on Digital and Blue Ray, someone needs to post a HQ gif of the ~20 second Dr. Strange/Thanos sequence on Titan.

That looked great.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

These battles still are just DBZ battles

Why doesn't strange just polymorph Thanos into a goat or teleport his dick into his rear end

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

They absolutely nailed what a Doctor Strange throwdown should be, it was amazing.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They absolutely nailed what a Doctor Strange throwdown should be, it was amazing.

The completely unnecessary butterfly transmorphing that even Thanos is confused about

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zzulu posted:

or teleport his dick into his rear end

what the gently caress is wrong with you dude.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Karloff posted:

I just think, to me, guilt and what it can do to you and how it can change you is one of the core elements of the character and it has been kind of absent.

It’s there, they just don’t beat you over the head with it. In Civil War, Peter says if something bad happens that you could have stopped but didn’t, you’re as culpable as the actual perpetrators. That’s a pretty naked reference to Uncle Ben and Peter’s lingering feelings of guilt.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I wonder if they'll do his Uncle Ben moment in a flashback at some point. They'll need to get it shot soon before he starts looking older, he'll only be able to pass as 16 for a few years.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I hope they don’t, we all know the story and don’t need to see it ever again

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
i could go the rest of my life and never see uncle ben get it again and be happy

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
In infinity war 2 uncle tony is gunna say the special line as he dies

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Just come back from watching Ant-Man and the Wasp. I think someone in this thread called it refreshingly low stakes and I agree it was great that it wasn't a world ending event. I enjoyed it quite a bit but wondered if it suffered from having five writers (unless some of those writers just contributed a line or two). Go out and watch it people, if we don't support these things then they might not carry on!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Rhyno posted:

what the gently caress is wrong with you dude.

Did you miss all the memes about people saying Hawkeye and Ant-Man weren't in IW because they could beat Thanos if Clint fired an arrow on Thanos butt and Scott got inside and turned giant?

Lucky.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Samuringa posted:

Did you miss all the memes about people saying Hawkeye and Ant-Man weren't in IW because they could beat Thanos if Clint fired an arrow on Thanos butt and Scott got inside and turned giant?

I didn't know Mark Millar had a pass at the script.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Soul Glo posted:

i could go the rest of my life and never see uncle ben get it again and be happy

You have to choose one, Uncle Ben getting killed in every Spider-Man movie or the Waynes getting killed in every Batman movie. And whichever one you choose not only will you see it once all the way through, but you’ll also flashback to either the Responsibity line or the Pearls twice more during the film.

Go ahead make your choice.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

X-O posted:

You have to choose one, Uncle Ben getting killed in every Spider-Man movie or the Waynes getting killed in every Batman movie. And whichever one you choose not only will you see it once all the way through, but you’ll also flashback to either the Responsibity line or the Pearls twice more during the film.

Go ahead make your choice.

Uuugggggghhhhhh
I guess I’d go for the Uncle Ben line since it usually precedes Spidey kicking rear end instead of pearls and then Batman just quietly brooding or weeping the weepy weep way
Now release me from your clutches you goblin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The one Spider-Man movie was better than the last three Batman movies and i would like that quality to continue so sorry Batman you get the stupid flashbacks from now on

• Locked thread