Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate The Promised Neverland?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Looks like the next arc is going to be the requisite man is the REAL monster story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Begemot posted:

Looks like the next arc is going to be the requisite man is the REAL monster story.

Wasn't there a thread contest about that?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also the real monster is still clearly the Demons. There are just humans working with them.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also the real monster is still clearly the Demons. There are just humans working with them.

Although the mysterious "other promise" that Emma plans to use as leverage with ISM2 is an potential setup for a twist about humans being just as bad as demons, if the author wants to go there.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Studio for the anime is finally confirmed as cloverworks despite weeks of people denying it for some reason.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
http://kissmanga.com/Manga/The-Promised-Neverland/Ch-098---Sound-of-the-Beginning?id=434520

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Another new chapter.

https://readneverland.com/chapter/the-promised-neverland-chapter-99/

Looks like the group for the next arc will be Emma, Ray, Don, Gilda, Violet and Zack.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Also confirms that the Human World in Promised Neverland is our world, more or less - at the very least, the Roman Empire existed.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Chapter 100: Arrival

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Phil :sympathy:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I love my extremely human friend Andrew

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 27, 2018

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Be nice to Phil please :ohdear:

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
if anything bad happens to phil i'm closing this thread and disconnecting my internet forever

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
please be ok phil :(

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Phil can do it, believe in Phil.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
Chapter 101

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Not a fan of the elements being introduced here. Up to this point even the demons seemed to be biological creatures with limits, but now there's time travel and vague mystical stuff.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

Not a fan of the elements being introduced here. Up to this point even the demons seemed to be biological creatures with limits, but now there's time travel and vague mystical stuff.

Yes but we knew they had some sort of weird god king thing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Until now what *squiggles* is was up for debate, it still is but the possibilities are narrowed somewhat. Squiggles could have just been the progenitor of all demons, their ancient ruler still alive, their current monarch, or other plausible non-magical explanations, given that we weren't given a reason to believe that magic exists in Neverland, and everything we have seen until now is technology and biotech.

What I do find interesting is that the Grace Field head demon appears in the vision.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Sep 5, 2018

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I don't know, I feel like there's no real chance this was ever going to end without some kind of supernatural angle considering everything else that's gone on so far, and there's no real reason to immediately assume the worst just because it hasn't been a factor up until now.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The story is centered around the concept of parallel worlds we were already in full magic town

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

I too was hoping the series with bloodsucking roses, genius four year olds, and giant demons with insane bodies that can regenerate and live for thousands of years would stay grounded in reality.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Its Magical Magic vs Magical Physics.
Personally I dont mind, as long it stays internally consistent. This is a story based around mind games as a tool for survival and magic has the potential to kill that internal consistency.

Not a very good analogy but: its like a detective story suddenly having the villain display mind altering powers.
It changes your expectations for the story.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 5, 2018

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Like literally Parallel Worlds has been a thing in this series for a good long while. If you didn't think the clues given early weren't indicating the kids heading to another world I don't know what to tell you.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Could have easily been some kind of hollow world. And fancifully written legends turning out to be truth filtered through a lens of superstition or deliberate obfuscation are absolutely my poo poo so I wanted that to happen. But theres a literal dragon and a literal place where day and night meet and a god ill be disappointed when the seven walls are literally just seven walls.

Not saying its makes the manga worse, but an explicitly saying 'magic exists' wasnt where I thought it was going.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
There's not really a difference between magic and magical physics, but just saying that is slightly unfair because there is a difference between fictional powers or phenomena that follow established rules or resemble real things closely enough that you can predict what they do, and those that don't.

It's like the difference between a gun and a wizard's staff; you have a frame of reference for what a gun does, so it makes no difference if it shoots bullets or lasers, and even completely bizarre or abstract concept like a gun that shoots happiness at people (shout-outs to Larry Niven) can be accepted because the bizarre thing is just one variable of what is otherwise a familiar concept. Conversely, a wizard's staff could do anything.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the flip side of this of course is that reality is not the only source of predictability (genre conventions are nearly as good, or specific references to another work of fiction, or ground rules established ahead of time, or...) and that the predictable rules that something follows don't have to be rules of physics -- it's just as legitimate to tell a story that operates on purely emotional logic, for instance

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

AtomikKrab posted:

Like literally Parallel Worlds has been a thing in this series for a good long while. If you didn't think the clues given early weren't indicating the kids heading to another world I don't know what to tell you.

im dense, someone explain the clues towards parallel worlds to me because i can get how that's what's going on

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Futaba Anzu posted:

im dense, someone explain the clues towards parallel worlds to me because i can get how that's what's going on

The Demon world and Human world are implied to be different dimensions, what with pathways between them and one being right at Gracefield.
It was one of the first big twists when they found out the demons didn't invade Earth, but they are cattle in the Demon world.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Could have easily been some kind of hollow world. And fancifully written legends turning out to be truth filtered through a lens of superstition or deliberate obfuscation are absolutely my poo poo so I wanted that to happen. But theres a literal dragon and a literal place where day and night meet and a god ill be disappointed when the seven walls are literally just seven walls.

Not saying its makes the manga worse, but an explicitly saying 'magic exists' wasnt where I thought it was going.
I can understand to an extent being upset about the god-figure appearing before Emma in another dimension, that was pretty wild, but why is a dragon bad? There was a forest full of giant horrifying demons of all shapes and sizes, why is a dragon-demon weirder?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I can understand to an extent being upset about the god-figure appearing before Emma in another dimension, that was pretty wild, but why is a dragon bad? There was a forest full of giant horrifying demons of all shapes and sizes, why is a dragon-demon weirder?

Purely a dragon is even fine. Earth mythos has dragons all over the place no matter the setting rules magic/weird science, since there are demons why not real dragons.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Its not because its a dragon. Its because what I previously thought was deliberately obfuscated hints from minervas book has now included a literal description.

Nittiest of picks but since this manga is good and has been consistent in that since the beginning thats all thats left to critique, the small plot contrivances like Ray's perfect baby memory.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Well good news everyone you won't have to discuss the magic for much longer!

https://twitter.com/TPNManga/status/1037759951454826497?s=19

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Huh, still feels like we barely know anything, but at least there's no chance of overstaying its welcome.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

A final arc could easily mean another hundred chapters so I'm not preparing for the end quite yet.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Blockhouse posted:

Well good news everyone you won't have to discuss the magic for much longer!

https://twitter.com/TPNManga/status/1037759951454826497?s=19

Wow, that catches me by surprise. But taking the AssClass route isn't a bad idea if that's the author's intent.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also next chapter has a time skip

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/1037786709365350406

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

kidcoelacanth posted:

A final arc could easily mean another hundred chapters so I'm not preparing for the end quite yet.

yeah these style of announcements are weird to me because it's basically just saying there's nothing after they find the seven walls etc, which seems totally natural and is probably still a year away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I thought finding each Wall would be it's own Arc.