Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate The Promised Neverland?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

The Promised Neverland is a thriller/mystery manga by artist Posuka Demizu and writer Kaiu Shirai currently running in Shonen Jump. It focuses on the children living at Grace Field House orphanage, who all see each other as brothers and sisters, cared for by a kind woman they all know only as Mama. By the age of 12, the children are adopted. They are instructed from a young age to never go beyond the forest immediately surrounding the orphanage grounds, as the "outside world" is said to be extremely dangerous. Emma and Norman, with the intent of returning a forgotten toy to one of their sisters, follow her after she leaves to be adopted, and see something that changes their understanding of what "outside world" actually means.

Characters

Our three protagonists.
Emma is unwaveringly optimistic, energetic, and incredibly athletic. She also thinks in pretty simple terms and has a knack for persuading others.
Norman is a thinker. He treats everything like a game of chess, and aims to be multiple steps ahead of his opponents. Always manages to beat Emma at games like hide-and-seek or tag despite her physical advantage.
Ray is much more introspective than the others, and while he gets along with everyone else just fine, he'd rather sit and read a book than play tag most days. Norman himself states that Ray is even more of a strategist than he is.
Despite their differences, the 3 of them are closer than siblings and are consistently the top scorers in their daily exams. They're generally regarded by the younger kids as "geniuses."

Isabella, or Mama as she's known by her kids, is the sole adult caretaker of Grace Field House. Kind and loving, the children all respect and look up to her.

Don and Gilda are the next oldest after our main trio, and 4th and 5th place scorers on the exams. Don is impulsive and a bit reckless, while Gilda is softspoken and quick to worry about others.

William Minerva is the mysterious author of a number of books in the orphanage library. Emma suspects these books have hidden messages in them.

Phil
Phil

Why should I read this?
Over its first year of serialization it's been received fairly well thanks to its clever mysteries and writing, unique art style, and a very interesting premise. It places pretty consistently in the top 5 of Shonen Jump rankings, even grabbing the #1 slot a couple times, generally (but not always!) when One Piece is on break or unranked that week. The first major arc has wrapped up and it remains to be seen whether it keeps up its momentum going forward, but early signs heading into the second arc are looking good.

I'm not convinced. Why should I ACTUALLY read this? Just spoil it for me.
Most of the above is pretty much saccharine chapter 1 setup. The genre of "thriller/mystery" is accurate but also, there are some horror elements. Norman and Emma (and later Ray) accidentally stumble on a dark, terrifying secret about the orphanage: they're basically cattle for a race of demons. The 3 of them resolve to not let themselves be eaten, and begin to hatch a plan to escape Grace Field House. They will have some opposition.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I knew the manga was being well received but I didn't know it was doing quite that well. I'm glad of it because it's been really good so far. Hope it manages to keep up the quality.

Also, it has the best faces in Jump.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

A good light hearted series about some kind children and their wonderful mother!

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Put Phil In The drat OP

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

This series is great, and I'm really glad it was able to keep the suspense up after the end of the first major arc!

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

rodney mullenkamp posted:

Put Phil In The drat OP

Put his bio in the first post but his image unexpectedly in the second

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Phil now properly represented in the OP thank you for looking out for what's best for everybody's friend Phil.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Don is my favorite character. That motherfucker pickpocketed Mama, which is a damned impressive accomplishment.

chefscientist
Mar 23, 2007

#1 Cockeyed Ghost fan
According to the author the wrap around on volume 4 will have a quote from Eiichiro Oda. Anyway to find out what the quote is?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Phil, tho

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

chefscientist posted:

According to the author the wrap around on volume 4 will have a quote from Eiichiro Oda. Anyway to find out what the quote is?

Phils real name is
Ph D. Il

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
phil will rescue everyone when he realises he can't smell on account of having no nose

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Holy heck-a-roonie, I just read the first chapter of this and it's absolutely incredible!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
There are some unbelievably tense scenes throughout the first major act. I dig the unique art style.

In popularity in the magazine this does really well but it only recently started selling alright as far as volumes go.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The volumes aren't out in English yet right? Is the only way to read this right now to sign up for SJ? I'd rather buy physical books that a digital subscription.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 11, 2017

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I'm interested to see some more worldbuilding but I don't think this story will be able to keep up the pace from the first act.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Its like Attack on Titan except the artist is skilled.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
It's like Attack on Titan meets Ender's Game meets The Maze Runner.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The chatter in the misc. shounen thread convinced me to give this a shot after it'd been on my radar the last few months. Just halfway through the first chapter now.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Pewdiepie posted:

I'm interested to see some more worldbuilding but I don't think this story will be able to keep up the pace from the first act.

I dunno, the first arc shows me that the writer has a real knack for pacing. I thought for sure it would either end like 20 chapters earlier than it did, or drag things out too much and get boring.

But they threaded that needle perfectly, it's some high quality classic serial writing. A new cliffhanger every week, but not in a way that feels forced or artificial.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Welp that got a powerful suck of air through the nose from me

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jul 12, 2017

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'd probably say this was my favorite work in SJ if My Hero Academia wasn't in it. The concern has always been how it would handle itself once it took care of the initial "hook" but so far it's done quite well; hopefully the current conversation leads to a lot of world building.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"It won't be impossible to kill her :)"

Norman is insanely gangster rn

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Some pretty hardcore kids in this manga.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

No, Ray, you're the spy aren't you

My mind is being blown here, totally hooked now.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

EmmyOk posted:

Welp that got a powerful suck of air through the nose from me

I kinda think this is the best panel in the entire comic to this point.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Radish posted:

Best I've seen so far anyway! I just got to the scene where Don and Gilda discover the real truth and it was handled and written super well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Radish posted:

My favourite is the panel of emma slapping ray

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

SyntheticPolygon posted:

My favourite is the panel of emma slapping ray

The one where she tells him not to try anything is good too.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Isabella is just so loving intense, i am so into this manga rn

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Can someone explain what happened with Sister Crone? As far as I understand her arc went like this:

Isabella gets her sent in to help monitor the kids.
Crone decides early on she is going to go rogue in order to pull a power play and take her position as Mama.
Crone discovers who knows the truth about the farm then tries to pretend to ally with the kids.
Crone finds the evidence that the kids know.
Isabella gives Crone the notice she is going to be promoted to another farm Mama which Crone thinks is fake.
When she leaves Crone tells their boss that Isabella hosed up which their boss doesn't care about and then Crone is killed.

So my questions are:

Ray told Isabella very early on that Emma and Norman where the ones so she didn't really need help and introducing a variable she had to know would be working against her based on how cut throat the whole mama program inherently is seemed unwise so why did she do it?
Was Crone really getting promoted and then revealing that she knew Isabella screwed up caused her to get killed or was her being executed already the plan?
Why exactly was Crone killed? She didn't really screw anything up or stop any of the kids from being killed. She was trying to be a thorn in Isabella's side but not in a way that would really hurt the farm as she was planning on sending the kids to the demons regardless.
Her involvement just seems kinda pointless but maybe she's there to show that the adult humans are just as expendable and as much as victims as the kids in the hosed up system and even working within it doesn't really offer any actual safety. She did deliver the pen which is really important.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jul 13, 2017

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
Oh good, Neverland's got its thread. I've been really anxious for it, wasn't sure if it was on enough radars to warrant it.

Manga's real loving good, I've been following it since Chapter 1 and can honestly say it's a highlight of my week. I hit a bit of a manga interest ghetto after a ton of Jump series ended close to each other, so I'm real invested in Promised Neverland's success.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Radish posted:

Can someone explain what happened with Sister Crone? As far as I understand her arc went like this:

Isabella gets her sent in to help monitor the kids.
Crone decides early on she is going to go rogue in order to pull a power play and take her position as Mama.
Crone discovers who knows the truth about the farm then tries to pretend to ally with the kids.
Crone finds the evidence that the kids know.
Isabella gives Crone the notice she is going to be promoted to another farm Mama which Crone thinks is fake.
When she leaves Crone tells their boss that Isabella hosed up which their boss doesn't care about and then Crone is killed.

So my questions are:

Ray told Isabella very early on that Emma and Norman where the ones so she didn't really need help and introducing a variable she had to know would be working against her based on how cut throat the whole mama program inherently is seemed unwise so why did she do it?
Was Crone really getting promoted and then revealing that she knew Isabella screwed up caused her to get killed or was her being executed already the plan?
Why exactly was Crone killed? She didn't really screw anything up or stop any of the kids from being killed. She was trying to be a thorn in Isabella's side but not in a way that would really hurt the farm as she was planning on sending the kids to the demons regardless.
Her involvement just seems kinda pointless but maybe she's there to show that the adult humans are just as expendable and as much as victims as the kids in the hosed up system and even working within it doesn't really offer any actual safety.

Krone was killed because Isabella was Grandmother's favourite and didn't appreciate her being messed with even though she wasn't able to do much to actually sabotage her (until she figured she was about to be killed). It's pretty clear Isabella knew Krone was targeting her and presumably just told her boss about it after she figured her presence wasn't helping. I don't think there's anything to suggest Krone was actually being promoted and the chapter kinda presents hwe as being completely correct in thinking she was going to get murdered.

I can't quite remember the in-character reason why she showed up. I think it might have just been to add a completely unpredictable variable to screw up the kids, even if that didn't work out. But like story wise she's a wild card who provides both an advantage and disadvantage to the kids and Isabella herself and she's our first real introduction into the whole system really since we get a look into her head earlier than with Isabella, and her death chapter goes into how the Mothers had a hosed up life as well and went through the same poo poo as the kids. And although they're cunning and awful and aiding monsters they don't like the system either. Also, y'know she gave them they're secret weapon in the escape, which was kinda important.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Jul 13, 2017

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Krone was killed because Isabella was Grandmother's favourite and didn't appreciate her being messed with even though she wasn't able to do much to actually sabotage her (until she figured she was about to be killed). It's pretty clear Isabella knew Krone was targeting her and presumably just told her boss about it after she figured her presence wasn't helping. I don't think there's anything to suggest Krone was actually being promoted and the chapter kinda presents hwe as being completely correct in thinking she was going to get murdered.

I can't quite remember the in-character reason why she showed up. I think it might have just been to add a completely unpredictable variable to screw up the kids, even if that didn't work out. But like story wise she's a wild card who provides both an advantage and disadvantage to the kids and Isabella herself and she's our first real introduction into the whole system really since we get a look into her head earlier than with Isabella, and her death chapter goes into how the Mothers had a hosed up life as well and went through the same poo poo as the kids. And although they're cunning and awful and aiding monsters they don't like the system either. Also, y'know she gave them they're secret weapon in the escape, which was kinda important.

Yeah I added in the pen at the end after remembering it. Honestly the Mamas feel like the real victims in all this since they are suddenly shown the brutal real world they are participating in and given a choice of live within it or die after 12 years of an idyllic life. From their point of view the kids are going to die either way so either you become the monster like Krone and try to survive the best you can or be like Isabelle and try to make life as good for the kids as you can until they are killed while surviving since there are literally no other options for the children. They can be killed just as easily as the kids (if not easier since the kids have value) but don't have the benefit of at least not knowing the true horror of their situation. That doesn't excuse them for raising human livestock but they are just as hosed over honestly since is that really that good of a life? Isabelle clearly isn't enjoying her lot especially with her revelation about Ray.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 13, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Noooooooooooooo Norman :saddowns:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Norman's a good boy.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Radish posted:

Norman's a good boy.

He was OP and rightfully nerfed. They just escaped the cave of snakes by using the book about Ugo and Marvine. I wonder if Marvine is an anagram of Minerva and if so what Ugo is an anagram of and also if Alvapinera is one. Maybe it's an anagram of the actual place where they are in the world.

e: you can get ravine out of it and have p,a,la, left

EmmyOk fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 13, 2017

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just caught up! Current thoughts

Norman is still alive. The page where he enters the waiting room has him look shocked when he opens the door but he had seen demons before and was resolved to die. Also Mom said he'd be waiting a while, I dunno it just seemed strange to me.

I was waiting to see who Mom's actual child would end up being as soon as she said that having a child was part of becoming a plantation Mom, Ray makes a lot of sense but I'd been expecting Emma.

I really hope we don't get blueballed by Sonju wrt information about the world etc.

I wonder if we're going to get any battle Shonen elements.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I think the next chapter is going to be huge (state of the world is totally revealed) or very disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

I haven't been this stoked for an update on the status of the world at large in a manga since the end of Fishman Island in One Piece.