Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Could depend on polarization also.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

It works through my polarized Maui Jims but not my polarized Ray Bans.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Will it work if I’m the 3D glasses stooge from Back to the Future irl

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Hit or miss on sunglasses for me, depends which ones I’m wearing.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
For those of you using Apple Music, has anyone noticed that songs sometimes repeat in the "New Music Mix"? For the last couple of weeks I've always had a couple of songs in the playlist that had been in that playlist some weeks earlier. I guess maybe I don't love enough songs for it to populate the playlist with similar stuff?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LPG Giant posted:

For those of you using Apple Music, has anyone noticed that songs sometimes repeat in the "New Music Mix"? For the last couple of weeks I've always had a couple of songs in the playlist that had been in that playlist some weeks earlier. I guess maybe I don't love enough songs for it to populate the playlist with similar stuff?

I’ve had that for songs I’ve not done a “Love” or “Dislike” to. But it’s pretty rare.

It may also happen for “Love” tracks, but if I’m marking it with a heart then I also add it to my library.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

I don't know what type of backend wizardry Apple pulled off this morning but all of a sudden my buggy PB3 install can update apps without getting stuck on loading and the PB4 update appears in my settings without the cannot contact update bug.

If you were previously getting this error try again now.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I didn’t realize I had an update issue with pb3, but upgrading to 4 triggered a queue of 61 app updates. Which was fun. Text messages still seem a bit iffy.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Anyone who has looked into getting a wireless CarPlay head unit...

Basically the only 2 reasonably-priced options are the Alpine ilx107 and the Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX, which are actually both the exact same price. Has anyone looked into these two before?

From what I can gather...

The Pioneeer:
- plays CDs
- has an SD slot for music
- can play music via USB drive
- removable faceplate (not really a big deal for me personally)
- supports Android Auto in case you want to connect a poor friend’s phone for some reason

The Alpine:
- has a capacitive touch screen instead of resistive, which is rad since the cheapest Pioneer with a capacitive screen is $1200.

So I guess it’s a toss up between having a capacitive screen and being able to play media from CDs/SD cards.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Resistive screens are arse. Also kinda strange they don't make a cheaper one with a capacitive screen, since my wired Pioneer Carplay headunit has one and can be had for $330 now.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I got the ilx-107 it’s really cool and good AMA

I wanna say the alpine will do music via USB sticks etc

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
I’ve got a Kenwood DDX9903S that is delightful. You can get deals on refurb ones on Ebay.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Go mechless, it owns.

Once I saw the Alpine unit I didn't consider anything else.

It does have aux input (even supports composite video) so your filthy android using friends can play music.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Mechless? Like not a mechanical face, right? I agree that’s a disadvantage since there’s more moving parts to break.

Honestly I was sold on the Pioneer unit until I saw the Alpine unit had a capacitive screen.

Uhhhh, so does the Alpine unit have a warning nag screen on startup? And if so, does it go away automatically or do you have to hit OK? Certain Pioneers go away after 7 seconds but some persist until you hit OK, which is super annoying.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Mechless is the car audio nerd term for no moving parts, no cd, no nothing.

The Alpine had a nag prompt I had to tap "OK" on the first time I started up. Nothing since. If you do get Alpine, get this:

https://www.amazon.com/MicroBypass-Parking-Override-Bypass-Alpine/dp/B006FKAHFM

Because otherwise it locks everything down unless the hand brake is engaged, and gently caress off to that.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah the bypass is a must, and not for dangerous reasons. When I got it installed the dude went ahead and did it and said I’d be back the next day if he hadn’t

My old CarPlay unit had a really annoying prompt but yeah the alpine does only initially I believe. When I get in music starts playing and it automatically connects wirelessly, owns

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Get the ILX-207 instead of the 107 if you can. More features at the same or an extra hundred in price. Doesn’t have wireless CarPlay but everything else makes up for it in my book.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

kefkafloyd posted:

Get the ILX-207 instead of the 107 if you can. More features at the same or an extra hundred in price. Doesn’t have wireless CarPlay but everything else makes up for it in my book.

uhm lol

I get if you don’t care for wireless, but gently caress it’s really cool & good. I didn’t think I’d like or care for it as much as I do

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah what are those extra features because wireless is huge to lose.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I guess the OP didn’t really specify wanting wireless but for the 4th time it’s cool & good. Connects via wifi/Bluetooth, pretty much just as fast as wired

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Dave posted:

Yeah what are those extra features because wireless is huge to lose.

HD radio, in-unit Sirius, Android compatibility, HDMI input.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I got the ilx-107 it’s really cool and good AMA

I wanna say the alpine will do music via USB sticks etc

Did you lose any USB functionality in your vehicle by making the switch? I drive a 2015 Mazda CX-5 and I’m worried that I’ll lose the fast USB charger in my center console if I change out the headunit. Crutchfield is unclear on what functionality is lost.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

illcendiary posted:

Did you lose any USB functionality in your vehicle by making the switch? I drive a 2015 Mazda CX-5 and I’m worried that I’ll lose the fast USB charger in my center console if I change out the headunit. Crutchfield is unclear on what functionality is lost.

not sure I’m following

I mean if it’s built into your current OEM headunit, then I guess yes? But if not I’m sure you could figure out the wiring. The 107 has a USB port and extension cable for wired connection and charging, but I just use a cigarette adapter to charge it when I want to, which also goes to a wireless charging mount that works “ok.”

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

not sure I’m following

I mean if it’s built into your current OEM headunit, then I guess yes?
That’s it exactly. Some cars have head units that “drive” USB ports not physically located on the head unit.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I know gently caress all about wiring but I assume they could just tap in and draw the power from another line?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

Yeah wireless is my #1 must-have.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Does the ilx107 have guide lines on the backup camera? I’ve read that the pioneer does not, which seems super odd.

Spikey Willow
Feb 26, 2008

Another one chipping in for Alpine here. Mine isn't wireless but it's a really nice system. No nag screen, fairly decent (although not perfect) and responsive screen, and much nicer than the other units like Pioneer and Sony that I played around with in the shops.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Honesty the lack of lag and general responsiveness was the biggest game changer when I upgraded

Waze integration now? Sign me the gently caress up

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
My next headunit will for sure be a wireless CarPlay one. If they integrate a qi charging pad in the car somewhere I’d almost never have to plug my phone in again.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Does the ilx107 have guide lines on the backup camera? I’ve read that the pioneer does not, which seems super odd.

Yes, and they're configurable. I laid down a shovel and a rake behind my car to line things up and was done in ten minutes. Oh and a chair to align distance off the bumper.

As for usb connectivity, it depends if there's an adapter for whatever goofy pin out your manufacturer has going. Worst case you can solder an adapter. The ilx107 has a normal USB port on the back, so if you're afraid of wires in the worst case you can snake a wire through a gap and dangle it somewhere convenient.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Yeah wireless is my #1 must-have.

The only downside with wireless (aside from limiting head unit choice) is that it's only useful for short drives. Otherwise, you're plugging something in for power anyway and power pads don't charge a plus-sized phone very quickly. It's a nice to have, but you need to weigh it against your other needs in a head unit. There's a lot of 107s out there and it's a good, responsive unit but if you need to go anywhere outside the carplay box you hit limitations very quickly.

Unfortunately, wireless means you're limited to two headunits, the iLX-107 and a Pioneer that just came out. If those are your choices, the Alpine is a better experience, but the Pioneer has more features.

xzzy posted:

HD radio, in-unit Sirius, Android compatibility, HDMI input.

Also has front/rear entertainment zone controls which are niche things but might matter to somebody. 207 has 4v preamps, versus 2v on the 107. 207 has multi-camera module support, 107 only has one. The 207 has a built-in microphone rendering the external one optional (if you choose). It can also control multiple phones (Apple or not) at the same time if need be. USB Mass storage input is also available on the 207 which isn't on the 107 as its USB only does wired carplay connections and nothing else. I also think the actual hard buttons on the 207 (as opposed to capacitive buttons on the 107) are better because you can use them with gloves, but that's a personal preference I guess. I went with the 207 instead of the 107 because of the better audio output options and the multi-camera control box as well as the fact that I could pair it with both my main phone (carplay) and work phone (bluetooth) simultaneously.

quote:

As for usb connectivity, it depends if there's an adapter for whatever goofy pin out your manufacturer has going. Worst case you can solder an adapter. The ilx107 has a normal USB port on the back, so if you're afraid of wires in the worst case you can snake a wire through a gap and dangle it somewhere convenient.

OEM USB often has adapter kits. Between Metra, Scosche, CarAV, and PAC Audio, somebody usually has one.

illcendiary posted:

There's an adapter available for CX-5s that will plug it into your new head unit's USB port. https://www.carid.com/scosche/retains-oe-usb-adaptor-mpn-mausb01b.html?singleid=1085145508&url=78716489 If you decide to go Alpine on Mazda I made a custom boot screen for Mazda users since I put an iLX-207 into my 3.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'll also point out the ilx107 is so overpowered compared to the stock head unit I've never taken the volume over 12.. which is like 1/4 the maximum.

I mean I certainly expected an improvement and I assume all aftermarket stuff in this class does the same but I had designs on an amp and fancy speakers and have felt no pressure to do so.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

xzzy posted:

Yes, and they're configurable. I laid down a shovel and a rake behind my car to line things up and was done in ten minutes. Oh and a chair to align distance off the bumper.

Electrical engineer here, so I love wires!

I think I’m actually going to go with the Alpine. Thinking on it more, I haven’t ever had the need for a CD player, and a capacitive screen would be so much nicer.

Thanks dudes!

kefkafloyd posted:

The only downside with wireless (aside from limiting head unit choice) is that it's only useful for short drives. Otherwise, you're plugging something in for power anyway and power pads don't charge a plus-sized phone very quickly. It's a nice to have, but you need to weigh it against your other needs in a head unit. There's a lot of 107s out there and it's a good, responsive unit but if you need to go anywhere outside the carplay box you hit limitations very quickly.

Yeah I’d still be plugging into my dock for my work commute, but I blast around town driving kids to their sports and poo poo all the time, so lots of short trips where I wouldn’t bother plugging in.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 5, 2018

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Also, the iLX-207 has the same capacitive screen as the 107. I dig it a lot, works great in sunlight, but it is a fingerprint magnet.

Electrical engineer here, so I love wires!

What kind of car do you drive? You should check out Five Star Car Stereo's youtube channel and see if they've worked on your model. They've done comprehensive video reviews (showing all the menus and everything) on popular units too (including the Alpine carplay units). If you're curious about wiring they go into a lot of good stuff.

iDataLink Maestro is also super handy depending on the car you drive as well.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

kefkafloyd posted:

Unfortunately, wireless means you're limited to two headunits, the iLX-107 and a Pioneer that just came out. If those are your choices, the Alpine is a better experience, but the Pioneer has more features.

Also has front/rear entertainment zone controls which are niche things but might matter to somebody. 207 has 4v preamps, versus 2v on the 107. 207 has multi-camera module support, 107 only has one. The 207 has a built-in microphone rendering the external one optional (if you choose). It can also control multiple phones (Apple or not) at the same time if need be. USB Mass storage input is also available on the 207 which isn't on the 107 as its USB only does wired carplay connections and nothing else. I also think the actual hard buttons on the 207 (as opposed to capacitive buttons on the 107) are better because you can use them with gloves, but that's a personal preference I guess. I went with the 207 instead of the 107 because of the better audio output options and the multi-camera control box as well as the fact that I could pair it with both my main phone (carplay) and work phone (bluetooth) simultaneously.

OEM USB often has adapter kits. Between Metra, Scosche, CarAV, and PAC Audio, somebody usually has one.

There's an adapter available for CX-5s that will plug it into your new head unit's USB port. https://www.carid.com/scosche/retains-oe-usb-adaptor-mpn-mausb01b.html?singleid=1085145508&url=78716489 If you decide to go Alpine on Mazda I made a custom boot screen for Mazda users since I put an iLX-207 into my 3.

This is awesome, thanks! Yeah I just want to make sure I retain some semblance of USB charging since it’s currently built-in at two spots. If I get anything it’ll
Be the iLX-207 so this is greatly appreciated.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

Also, the iLX-207 has the same capacitive screen as the 107. I dig it a lot, works great in sunlight, but it is a fingerprint magnet.

What kind of car do you drive? You should check out Five Star Car Stereo's youtube channel and see if they've worked on your model. They've done comprehensive video reviews (showing all the menus and everything) on popular units too (including the Alpine carplay units). If you're curious about wiring they go into a lot of good stuff.

iDataLink Maestro is also super handy depending on the car you drive as well.

2016 Subaru WRX. I’ll definitely check that out. Thanks!

Will definitely need to read up about the USB wiring though since I have a couple ports. Currently charge my phone via 12V adapter, but keeping my center console USB functionality would be great.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
Do note that the Alpine units only have one USB port, so if you have a second port (Power only?) it won't connect to the head unit. If you have a factory backup camera you'll also want to get an adapter for that.

For CX-5s you're gonna have two options for smart boxes: The PAC Audio Radio Pro and the iDataLink. iDataLink gets you performance/monitoring gauges and trouble code support. They don't have a Mazda harness, though, so your installer will have to hard-wire the wires.

PAC Audio does steering wheel controls only (and is slightly cheaper) but they do have Mazda harnesses so you don't have to gently caress around as much.

2016 Subaru WRX. I’ll definitely check that out. Thanks!

Will definitely need to read up about the USB wiring though since I have a couple ports. Currently charge my phone via 12V adapter, but keeping my center console USB functionality would be great.

iDataLink on Suabaru should be what you're after. There are adapters for factory USB but you'll only get one port with the alpine. You could repin the adapter and wire the second port for power only. Alternatievly, you could rewire both center console ports for power only and replace your 12v socket with a USB replacement socket (I did this on my car since it didn't have a factory USB port). Depends on what you think would be most convenient for you.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 5, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have experience with eyes-free Siri? I'm replacing the stereo in my kid's Nissan (base model, no steering wheel controls, single-din) with a JVC that I guess you just push the middle button to activate Siri and she's supposed to read your texts and take audio commands.

I've never replaced a stereo in a car before so this should be fun. The Crutchfield installation kit looks relatively easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It works well enough, if you really really must get the content of a text while driving.

The speech-to-text for sending texts is not great but it works.. just like everything Siri.