Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

RabidWeasel posted:

There should definitely be special rules for single province islands but separatist rebels are already pathetic so this shouldn't be a general rule.

Actually rebels (of every kind) tend to have this strange dualism where they're either pushovers, or absolutely overwhelming (esp. for OPMs and small nations early on - I've had 16-20k rebel stacks spawn when my forcelimit is still 10 or so)

There's just so many things that "work" but could be done much better (revolts, trade, colonization, estates, development...), that

Tahirovic posted:

you don't we all want EU5 for now right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Unless the wiki is out of date..

quote:

A single spawn cannot spawn more regiments than the land force limit.

And the type determines how difficult their armies are. Pretenders are the strongest (125% base morale compared to yours!), followed by Revolutionary (110% morale), Separatists (100% morale, 10 base army size where most are 1), Zealots (110% morale, no cannons), Nobles (100% morale, no cannons) and so on, excluding special type Polish-Magnate rebels (120% morale) because they only pop in Polish culture provinces.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Sage Grimm posted:

Unless the wiki is out of date..

And the type determines how difficult their armies are. Pretenders are the strongest (125% base morale compared to yours!), followed by Revolutionary (110% morale), Separatists (100% morale, 10 base army size where most are 1), Zealots (110% morale, no cannons), Nobles (100% morale, no cannons) and so on, excluding special type Polish-Magnate rebels (120% morale) because they only pop in Polish culture provinces.

Huh. I had no idea. Though I distinctly remember separatist rebels heavily outnumbering me after the first few provinces conquered as a small nation, maybe they spawned two stacks or I wasn't at full army cap?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
They can also spawn in enemy territory, that wiki is simply not up to date.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Communist Walrus posted:

Groogy, is there any plan to alter the way separatist rebels enforce their demands? Had an instance yesterday where I'd captured all of Naples, but then a stack of 18 Neapolitan separatists spawned in Malta. Before I had the chance to build enough cogs to transport my troops there to deal with them, the rebels enforced their demands and I lost the entirety of Naples, despite the rebels being confined to a single island. Seems kind of silly. One would think they'd gain independence only for the areas they'd occupied.

That's nothing, I'm still salty about the time a few thousand Ming rebels in literally unreachable Aleut, Alaska enforced their demands for mainland China

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Same, only 3k Ottomans in bumfuck Polynesia.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

TorakFade posted:

Huh. I had no idea. Though I distinctly remember separatist rebels heavily outnumbering me after the first few provinces conquered as a small nation, maybe they spawned two stacks or I wasn't at full army cap?

If i'm not mistaken its based on your theoretical forcelimit with 0 autonomy which is going to be more than your actual force limit as a small country that just took a bunch of land.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

AnoHito posted:

Same, only 3k Ottomans in bumfuck Polynesia.

Sounds like a good pitch for a reality show.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Huh, in my current stupid Catholic HRE Ottomans game there was recently two Circassias. I didn't pay enough attention to see how it came about but there they were, both of them Orthodox and right next to each other. And fighting each other and occupying each others' clay. Eventually one conquered the other. Weird.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Groke posted:

Huh, in my current stupid Catholic HRE Ottomans game there was recently two Circassias. I didn't pay enough attention to see how it came about but there they were, both of them Orthodox and right next to each other. And fighting each other and occupying each others' clay. Eventually one conquered the other. Weird.

Probably a Cossack revolter state. Those guys get dynamically generated name based on where they are so it’s not unbelievable that you could just be called Circassia.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Tahirovic posted:

They can also spawn in enemy territory, that wiki is simply not up to date.

What do you mean? When you're at war and your enemy country's unrest spawns rebels in provinces you hold? Or when you have rebels pop and they appear in enemy territory? Because I've never seen the latter.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I uh, didn't know it was possible to get personal unions as poland in elective monarchy. Just inherited a full scandinavia denmark with my palatinate sponsored monarch.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Sage Grimm posted:

What do you mean? When you're at war and your enemy country's unrest spawns rebels in provinces you hold? Or when you have rebels pop and they appear in enemy territory? Because I've never seen the latter.

I believe they are referring to the fact that separatist rebels can cross borders. Let's say you're playing the Livonian Order and you decide to take advantage of Lithuania being stomped into the ground by Russia to pinch a couple of Lithuanian provinces for yourself. After the war Lithuanian separatist rebels can spawn in both your country and Russia. The ones that spawn in your country will be limited by your force limit. The ones that spawn in Russia are however only limited by the (presumably) much higher Russian force limit. Once a mega stack of Lithuanian separatist rebels spawn in Russia they can (and probably will) cross the border and start sieging down former Lithuanian provinces in your country.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Yeah that sucks but you just need to avoid them and siege it back once they gently caress off back to Russia. Eventually they’ll get dealt with, and sometimes before everything hits 100% devastation!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There are occasionally cases where you can use that to your advantage. Like, when taking land while your manpower/forcelimits are low, give an ally a nearby fort province and any rebels that spawn in your territory will gravitate to that fort and your ally will kill them. (if it's not a fort, your ally might just watch them siege the land and wait until they buzz off before re-sieging)

The cases where both the situation calls for this and the geography allows for it are pretty rare, though.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I've had a few false starts with this game, I excel at CK/Stellaris but having trouble getting good at this game. Any of you goons have this same problem? Any tips or advice?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

who are you and who's stomping you

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Gyshall posted:

I've had a few false starts with this game, I excel at CK/Stellaris but having trouble getting good at this game. Any of you goons have this same problem? Any tips or advice?

Learn how to manage aggressive expansion and allies. Also the hardest thing for me was being ok with taking loans and hiring mercs all the time.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I have a couple of questions about independence wars I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to:

1. If you're fighting your former overlord in an independence war can you annex them?

2. If the answer to the above is yes, do you gain overlordship of any other vassals which your former overlord had or do they go independent?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gyshall posted:

it really depends.

are you having false starts as Milan?

Or are the false starts coming from a France playthrough?

Did you start your EU experience in Mezo-America?

Gives us more

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Gyshall posted:

This game has very, very asymmetrical starts (unlike Stellaris and like CK, but CK is much less centered on war than EU). Plus many, many countries are prone to false starts - or it might be that what you consider a false start is actually not that bad

So yeah, we need to know which country you use, and what are the actual problems you're encountering. Is it money? Losing battles? Being beaten up by bigger neighbors?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Playing as the Knights, I managed to form Jerusalem, but I'm not really sure where I go from here. I can't actually take on the Mamluks (I took the necessary provinces for Jerusalem while the Mamluks were getting stomped by the Ottomans) and I'm too far away from any of my allies for them to join my wars. Even if I could go toe-to-toe with the Mamluks, I think I'd just get steamrolled by the Ottomans when they finally conquer their way to my borders. Allying the Ottomans seems like a good bet, but I raided their coasts so many times as the Knights that they're going to hate my guts for several decades.

Any recommendations?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

How best to fight with Russia as Yuan? I have pretty much the needed territory + Korea, enough tributaries to be mandate positive. My army is about half Russia's, got tech parity. They're not attacking me but rather holy warring one of my buffer tributaries, if that changes things.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Communist Walrus posted:

Playing as the Knights, I managed to form Jerusalem, but I'm not really sure where I go from here. I can't actually take on the Mamluks (I took the necessary provinces for Jerusalem while the Mamluks were getting stomped by the Ottomans) and I'm too far away from any of my allies for them to join my wars. Even if I could go toe-to-toe with the Mamluks, I think I'd just get steamrolled by the Ottomans when they finally conquer their way to my borders. Allying the Ottomans seems like a good bet, but I raided their coasts so many times as the Knights that they're going to hate my guts for several decades.

Any recommendations?

If the Ottomans blobbed then i think it's impossible outside of the AI uniting to beat them for your convenience.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

RabidWeasel posted:

I have a couple of questions about independence wars I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to:

1. If you're fighting your former overlord in an independence war can you annex them?

2. If the answer to the above is yes, do you gain overlordship of any other vassals which your former overlord had or do they go independent?

In case anyone was interested the answer to both of these questions is yes, though you still need to demand independence as a separate wargoal as well. This opens up some interesting possibilities if you want to do a "vassal release and switch" strategy. Though I can't think of many large releasable states which are worth doing this with (Punjab is the obvious one, and that's all going to change next patch)

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

RabidWeasel posted:

In case anyone was interested the answer to both of these questions is yes, though you still need to demand independence as a separate wargoal as well.

Wait what the hell happens if you don't demand independence? Who would you be a vassal of?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

AnoHito posted:

Wait what the hell happens if you don't demand independence? Who would you be a vassal of?

I assume you need to become independent before you can demand anything else

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

AnoHito posted:

They fixed this so you essentially are forced to demand independence.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

I assume you need to become independent before you can demand anything else

Yeah this, you can't take anything other than WP or independence and then if you choose independence it lets you take provinces as well.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

canepazzo posted:

How best to fight with Russia as Yuan? I have pretty much the needed territory + Korea, enough tributaries to be mandate positive. My army is about half Russia's, got tech parity. They're not attacking me but rather holy warring one of my buffer tributaries, if that changes things.

Just fight them normally, Russian troops suck compared to any of the real great powers

White Coke
May 29, 2015
I didn't know about having to demand independence, so once in a Sweden game I took all of my cores from Denmark and Norway, then went back to being under a personal union. At least it tanked Denmark's prestige so I got free once the king died.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Firebatgyro posted:

Just fight them normally, Russian troops suck compared to any of the real great powers
lol, streltsy disagrees.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Got the Philippine Tiger achievement (As Cebu, recreate the Chola empire) in 1763, after a couple false starts. Then a day after the peace agreement was signed for that to happen I had Malacca, a vassal constantly pissed at me because my rivals kept supporting their independence, declare war with the help of 0-mandate Ming and a somewhat okay Japan.

Game mysteriously crashed after that, don't know what happened there.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Firebatgyro posted:

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

lol, streltsy disagrees.

So what I did was sending 3-4 merc cavalry units to siege stuff as far away as possible, as well as burning stuff, while my two actual stacks sieged the forts as far away as possible; it worked, as they evenntually peaced out with my tributary (Yeren), who requested:

Cores returned to Sweden
Cores returned to Lithuania
Cores returned to Bukhara

and 10 ducats. Thanks a lot, Yeren :sigh:

Weird thing about their army composition: miltech 17, they had 112k infantry and 2k cavalry. 0 artillery.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

canepazzo posted:

3-4 merc cavalry units to siege stuff as far away as possible, as well as burning stuff

canepazzo posted:

Weird thing about their army composition: miltech 17, they had 112k infantry and 2k cavalry. 0 artillery.

cav sucks and arty isn't that good until ~tech 16 so that's not too off

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Please never use merc cavalry. It's just way too expensive.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

oddium posted:

cav sucks and arty isn't that good until ~tech 16 so that's not too off

wrong and holy poo poo wrong

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

hmmm actually i’m right

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Senor Dog posted:

wrong and holy poo poo wrong

Cavalry has its uses but for the love of god, not merc cavaly. Having a couple cavalry on each flank is good for your main battle stack. And then splitting those 4 cav off to go around looting the enemy's territory is also smart (cav loot a lot faster than inf). It's free money. If you're not using mercs.

Artillery's only function until tech 16 is helping progress sieges. Aside from that, it is incredibly weak until you unlock better unit types and the +fire modifiers. The boosts at tech 13 are decent, but it's still hard to justify heavy spending on artillery until tech 16. And it's not until tech 22 when they become horrific murder machines.

edit: Though I guess Russia in that person's game is tech 17 so yeah, they really should have more arty.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Aug 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Artillery gets good at tech 12 when they get a 2nd fire pip, and is decent but not worth the price outside of 1-2 per army for the siege bonus unless you're rich before that, imo.