Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

I listened to a podcast episode about lovely Tarantino ripoffs, and there seemed to be a consensus that Way of the Gun was a diamond in the rough.

It is in no way a Tarantino rip off. Unless doing anything involving crime makes it a Tarantino rip off. If anything, it's the exact opposite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

As much as it may seem upthread that I didn't like this movie, I think McQuarrie has a huge gift for great action flicks; even the movies where he's uncredited.

Though he's listed as a writer on The Mummy. I know he's Tom Cruise's big writer/director pal, and Cruise probably brought him in a panic on to tidy poo poo up, but woof. I would have taken an Alan Smithee on that one.

I'm excited to check out Way Of The Gun on this thread's recommendation.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Halloween Jack posted:

I listened to a podcast episode about lovely Tarantino ripoffs, and there seemed to be a consensus that Way of the Gun was a diamond in the rough.

It's a movie that I'm still not sure if I like, but I definitely respect what McQuarrie was going for. It's so aggressively bleak and nasty, but the action and music are really solid. Apparently McQuarrie's ex-SEAL brother taught Phillipe and Del Toro a bunch of small unit tactics and it definitely shows.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Lumbermouth posted:

It's a movie that I'm still not sure if I like, but I definitely respect what McQuarrie was going for. It's so aggressively bleak and nasty, but the action and music are really solid. Apparently McQuarrie's ex-SEAL brother taught Phillipe and Del Toro a bunch of small unit tactics and it definitely shows.

The bit at the beginning where they're covering each other as they retreat down the hallway was pretty good.

I like Way of the Gun but I definitely wouldn't sell it as an action movie. It's like Sicario, in that the scenes where there's no action are still good and when all else fails you have Del Toro oozing cool in every scene so you're never really bored. But the action scenes it has are intense and explosive.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Basebf555 posted:

The bit at the beginning where they're covering each other as they retreat down the hallway was pretty good.

I like Way of the Gun but I definitely wouldn't sell it as an action movie. It's like Sicario, in that the scenes where there's no action are still good and when all else fails you have Del Toro oozing cool in every scene so you're never really bored. But the action scenes it has are intense and explosive.

The marketing on Way Of The Gun was generally really weird. It was sold as this kind of fun action romp, when it's really this aggressively mean, violent little caper flick.

EDIT: Like, this...is not really the tone of the movie. "Break Stuff?" Really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFtd-9bvydI

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Finally got to see Mission Impossible: Fallout (it didn't open until yesterday here) so now I can go back and read all the spoilers from the last couple of pages.

Overall really enjoyed the movie, some real good action. Tom Cruise also giving some nods to his age in that he gets banged up a lot during the movie and isn't just some superman action hero.
I liked how basically all the action was filmed in a way that really showed off the whole "yes, Tom Cruise really does all his own stunts" thing.

Completely unrelated to MI, I started watching the TV show Shooter and boy oh boy, that show might as well be titled "Headshot: The TV series" because there sure are a lot of people getting killed in this.
The entire first season (10 episodes) is the plot of the book (Point of Impact) that the movie was also based on but it is obviously more fleshed out than the movie could hope to be. I still have issues with the main character being named Bob Lee Swagger because that is an almost impossibly american name and yet "Bob Lee" doesn't really roll off the tongue very well.
I'm a few episodes into season 2 and it still has a lot of people getting shot and some pretty satisfying shootouts really. There are quite a few flashbacks to Swaggers military duty in Afghanistan which has a lot of sniper stuff for the people that like that.

edit: and point of humour, despite featuring some very gratuitous violence the word "gently caress" is still blanked out.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Some top tier Tom Cruise running in this one, goddamn!

It opened here just a few days ago so the theater was pretty much packed. Really really enjoyed this one, the tunnels shootout was a bit men, though I know what they were going for, but all the other action was great. Loved the bathroom fight. CGI was a bit noticeable I'm a few shots but it didn't bother me too much.

The plot was kind of meh but it served the purpose well enough. Wasn't there another movie where two nuclear bombs had to be defused at exactly the same time? I remember watching something like that very recently, gave me some serious déjà vu when they reveals the gimmick.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheat Loaf posted:

McQuarrie's first major credit was writing The Usual Suspects.

He won an Oscar for it.

This and Way of the Gun are insanely obnoxious movies and explain why I've never been a fan but I will say Way of the Gun is a hidden gem for sure.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My hot take on Usual Suspects is that nobody was Keyser Soze because Keyser Soze never existed.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Absolutely loved Fallout. drat near everything about it. Tom Cruise doing his own stunts should feel like a gimmick, but it makes each scene so much more intense. Even "simple" things like Cruise on the side of the helicopter before getting in and fighting the henchmen had me on the edge of my seat, because you can tell that yup, that's really him doing this. And Cavill made a fantastic villain. A real physical threat. And the look on his face when he saw Hunt in the second helicopter, took a moment, and seemed to say, "Welp, alright, time for the big gun" was so loving good.

Gonz posted:

I enjoyed the neat little callback regarding the White Widow's mother:

Thank you! When White Widow was giving her speech when we first met her, and she talked about Max, I turned to my brother and said, "Max! She said Max!" He had no idea what I was talking about. I talked to him after the movie, and he didn't remember that character at all.

Gyges posted:

I do think that they shouldn't have [spoiler]given away the Walker betrayal so early though. There was no reason for the neon lights and airhorns making sure you knew he was a traitor with the phone scene. Especially since Isla showing up already provided the pretext for him to question Hunt, and they could have had him pass Bassett a similarly beat up phone to "check for evidence". At least give the audience a chance to think maybe he isn't a bad guy in between introducing him as the CIA's top wetwork guy being forced on the IMF, loving up the mission, and then snitching to Angela Bassett.

I thought that at first too, but once I settled into the knowledge, I was glad. This is going slightly off topic, but there's this thing with Disney movies for the last several years where they haven't had interesting villains, because they've been focusing on making the lead characters more well rounded and have more to do (which is a good thing), so the villains play second fiddle. Often this leads to the "secret villain" in things like Frozen where we only find out who the villain is at the end, so we only get to spend, like, 10 minutes with him being evil. Or how Brave has that evil bear show up a couple of times the whole movie.

By revealing Walker was evil so early on, we got to spend time with him being the "villain", even if our main characters didn't know yet. It colored every action he took from that point on. I liked it.

GazChap posted:

Also, MI:Fallout was super dope, and at the end for a few seconds I really thought they’d failed - the way the screen went completely white and then cut to Ethan looking at what looked like a nuclear explosion in the distance was a great fakeout.

You're not the only one. I thought so too, and I heard a few gasps in my theater. You thought exactly what they wanted you to think.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

GazChap posted:

Also, MI:Fallout was super dope, and at the end for a few seconds I really thought they’d failed - the way the screen went completely white and then cut to Ethan looking at what looked like a nuclear explosion in the distance was a great fakeout.

That moment totally got me too - and benefited greatly from being in a post-Infinity War cinematic vocabulary.

Part of me actually hoped they just went for it to make that kind of ending A Thing.

If a few big blockbusters had the balls to see it through, it would benefit the whole language of that kind of cinema - suddenly the unthinkable is possible, stakes are raised, and the viewer will always doubt the concept of plot armour.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Not just the white screen but how we all expected him to have to get up on top of the cliff and then get the detonator rather than just reach up and get the detonator while still on the clff face. It also helps that they primed the audience for it in the beginning with the bad news on CNN.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I'm still listening to it, but The Empire Film Podcast has a fantastic interview with Christopher McQuarrie about Mission Impossible: Fallout. Nearly 3 hours long, he goes into a bunch of great stuff. Like how he didn't start writing the script until he finishes scouting locations (which would explain why he has so many great set pieces, and the movie forms around them). He talks about Cavill's mustache, Jeremy Renner's absence, how they shot it, how they approached, etc. He also gets into the reason he revealed Walker being evil early on, and it was Tom Cruise's idea. It's great so far, thought I'd share.

New Zealand was the only country willing to let them film the helicopter chase scene.

https://soundcloud.com/empiremagazine/mission-impossible-fallout-spoiler-special-ft-christopher-mcquarrie-part-1

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 3, 2018

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Way of the Gun had probably one of the funniest lines in a movie I'd ever heard: "...shut that oval office's mouth before I come over there and gently caress-start her head" :v:

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Way of the Gun had probably one of the funniest lines in a movie I'd ever heard: "...shut that oval office's mouth before I come over there and gently caress-start her head" :v:
In retrospect Sarah Silverman imprinted on me so hard in that scene that I ended up marrying an angry, funny Jewish girl.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Tumble posted:

I loved the new Mission Impossible, like all the stunts were references and homages to action scenes from other movies and it was very clever. Tom Cruise quickdraws on 4 guys and kills them all which calls back to his 'Yo Homies' shooting scene from Collateral, the extraction scene he runs through in his head, with the guys ramming a truck over with another truck and assualting dressed in hockeymasks is a callback to Heat, there is a scene where they wedge a truck tightly between two buildings is a reference to 'The Man From UNCLE which also starred Cavill... tons of stuff like that and none of it really felt ripped off either.

Good stuff.

I thought the most obvious homage was the French Connection-style chase under the elevated train line.

I enjoyed this a lot, but one thing that I thought was weird about M:I:F was that Tom Cruise Ethan Hunt apparently believes he is the most important person on Earth and that the world would have ended several times over if he personally had not intervened. No one else could have done his job. Only Tom Ethan. And the film pretty much appears to agree with this assessment. This claim seems to be connected to the suggestion in the last film from Alec Baldwin’s character that Tom Cruise Ethan Hunt is literally the physical embodiment of the concept of fate.

It’s weird because these films are starting to show Cruise Hunt as more vulnerable, but this is then offset by characters informing the viewer that he actually is an incredible superhuman. I kind of wonder if this is a Scientologist thing. They have a whole belief that by being a Scientologist you are helping save the entire planet (from something-or-other). And since Ethan Hunt Tom Cruise is pretty much undoubtedly the most successful Scientologist, then to his mind (or his fantasy) he’s not just a very rich, fit, handsome, and popular actor, but actively crucial to humanity’s future, and he makes this literally true of his fictional alter-ego.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

i hope it gets more and more mythological and if tom ever hands the franchise off the new person will take on the name ethan hunt. "there will always be a mission, there must always be a hunt"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
They literally said Ethan Hunt was the manifestation of Destiny in MI5, and they weren't talking about the video game

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I don't know about Scientology but Cruise/Hunt being the manifestation of fate and destiny is hella awesome.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
BTW if you want to hear McQuarrie talk about MI Fallout for 3 hours and pretty much give you a comprehensive account of every fuckin' decision he made as a director (or took from Tom Cruise) here you go, apparently there's a part 2 (holy poo poo):

https://soundcloud.com/empiremagazine/mission-impossible-fallout-spoiler-special-ft-christopher-mcquarrie-part-1

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

In the movie there's a villain named Lark who is ultimately beaten by a hero named Hunt. On the hunt > on a lark? The same character is also named Walker. What would be superceded by walking? Well, there's something Cruise is famous for in his action movies. But it's not for certain because there's a scene where Walker successfully walks to his escape with Cruise running after him.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Aug 3, 2018

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Lobok posted:

In the movie there's a villain named Lark who is ultimately beaten by a hero named Hunt. On the hunt > on a lark? The same character is also named Walker. What would be superceded by walking? Well, there's something Cruise is famous for in his action movies. But it's not for certain because there's a scene where Walker successfully walks to his escape with Cruise running after him.

You could say it was set on...Cruise control.

:newlol:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Jerkface posted:

i hope it gets more and more mythological and if tom ever hands the franchise off the new person will take on the name ethan hunt. "there will always be a mission, there must always be a hunt"

Some kind of meta-movie where all of Tom Cruise's roles meet up could be cool. Fate has merged the parallel universes and Hunt has to team up with his immortal self from the Mummy, Maverick, try to keep his bad guy from Collateral from backstabbing them, etc.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

got any sevens posted:

Some kind of meta-movie where all of Tom Cruise's roles meet up could be cool. Fate has merged the parallel universes and Hunt has to team up with his immortal self from the Mummy, Maverick, try to keep his bad guy from Collateral from backstabbing them, etc.

In the end the day is saved with pool tricks and fancy cocktail pouring.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

BTW if you want to hear McQuarrie talk about MI Fallout for 3 hours and pretty much give you a comprehensive account of every fuckin' decision he made as a director (or took from Tom Cruise) here you go, apparently there's a part 2 (holy poo poo):

I mean, I posted about this 7 posts before this post, but whatever, it’s a good listen, so as long as people give it a try...

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

IMHO drop knowledge on the reasoning behind the early Walker reveal so we don't have to spend 3 hrs

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Walker the phone thing doesnt necessarily mean he's Lark, he couldve just wanted Hunt out of the way.
Also i wonder why he killed the apostles he did. Did they not want to go along with the new order with him as stand-in boss while crazybeard was locked up?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

One thing I was a little unclear on in MI: Fallout - how did Lane communicate and setup all his planning with Lark/Walker while he was being held prisoner and subjected to like a 2+ year interrogation? At first I thought that Walker had been able to meet with him in his guise as a CIA assassin and get his instructions that way etc but then it seemed like they couldn't get access to him until Hunt did his "do the impossible" thing? And Lane makes comments that indicate he's well aware of what has been going on during his absence.

Matinee
Sep 15, 2007

To reference that podcast yet again, they originally had more dialogue explaining how Lane and Walker interacted, but they cut it because McQuarrie believes that audiences don't pay attention, so whatever, let's just move forward to the next set piece.

He also says, when asked to explain the plot, "Lane wants revenge. That's it.", which is maybe my biggest problem with the film. In Rogue Nation, Lane was this master tactician who was always three steps ahead, who knew people in his organisation would betray him but would incorporate that into his plan, and who always had buffers and layers of protection in place so his position wouldn't be compromised. He also cultivated a global counter-ops organisation that is, by Fallout, still active and in place, albeit with a spooky new name, but his big ambition once he gets freed is to stand next to a nuke he has hidden under a blanket because lol it will totally own Ethan Hunt. Why was he not three thousand miles away?

It's kind of amazing how much McQuarrie talks about blocking, staging, dialogue, and even the entire plot of the movie being plucked out of the air hours before they started that day's shoot. He seems very lucky to have Cruise's complete confidence and being there to vouch for him.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Well I'm glad it looks like it was something I didn't miss, but that was consciously just not included in the film. It didn't impact my enjoyment at all, I was just left with the question hanging.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This and Way of the Gun are insanely obnoxious movies and explain why I've never been a fan but I will say Way of the Gun is a hidden gem for sure.

I'm the other way around; I can't stand Way of the Gun, but I'll always have a soft spot for Usual Suspects. It's got career performances from Gabriel Byrne (his only better one is Miller's Crossing) and Benicio Del Toro, Kevin Pollak adds a poo poo-ton of dry humor, Chazz Palminteri and Pete Postlethwaite are both great, and even though gently caress Kevin Spacey, he's legitimately good in it.

Singer's direction sucks and Stephen Baldwin blows goats in it (he plays McManus far too broadly), but it's still a tight movie that I enjoy watching once or twice a year. Those last 20 minutes or so on the boat are great.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea The Usual Suspects is so well written, and has such a good cast, can you imagine if it had been given to a great director? Should've given it to Frankenheimer.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Crazyweasel posted:

IMHO drop knowledge on the reasoning behind the early Walker reveal so we don't have to spend 3 hrs

Basically, Tom Cruise didn’t want everyone to start liking Walker and have them liking him and Hunt working together just to have him turn evil. He thought it would disappoint audiences.

edit: Here's a quote:

Christopher McQuarrie posted:

He [Cruise] goes, ‘Here’s the one thing I don’t want. I don’t want the audience to be disappointed when they find out he’s a bad guy.’ He said, ‘If we set up Hunt and Walker wrong, the audience is going to be expecting them to be buddies at the end of the film. And if we get to the end of the film and that’s disappointing, we’re dead. However you create this dynamic, just let them know that this is not the beginning of a beautiful friendship. This is all gonna end badly.’ And he was right. His instincts were absolutely right.”

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 4, 2018

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I love this podcast and I like he ending about fans and the internet and him not giving a poo poo about plot holes but they’re welcome to ruin an experience for themselves if they want cause it’s relevant. And trying to bring logic into something that doesn’t have it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It's too bad McQuarrie's not interested in making a Star Wars movie any more. I'm sure it could have been good.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

thrawn527 posted:

Absolutely loved Fallout. drat near everything about it. Tom Cruise doing his own stunts should feel like a gimmick, but it makes each scene so much more intense. Even "simple" things like Cruise on the side of the helicopter before getting in and fighting the henchmen had me on the edge of my seat, because you can tell that yup, that's really him doing this. And Cavill made a fantastic villain. A real physical threat. And the look on his face when he saw Hunt in the second helicopter, took a moment, and seemed to say, "Welp, alright, time for the big gun" was so loving good.

"That's right. Prick."

I really like McQuarrie's approach to movie making and story telling, and I also appreciate his willingness to be open about the process. Christopher Nolan's "the film says more than I ever could" philosophy is obnoxious.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's too bad McQuarrie's not interested in making a Star Wars movie any more. I'm sure it could have been good.

It would’ve been hated by everyone like all the Star Wars

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Its sucks that hardcore henry was in first person because it was hilarious and it would probably be one of my favorite movies ever it wasn't

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Yeah, I found the movie to be a really frustrating experience, even though I wanted to like it. It was such a chaotic mess of visuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
it's one of my favorite movies. Seeing it in theaters was a great experience.

https://i.imgur.com/ieZnMZu.mp4