Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Softface
Feb 16, 2011

Some things can't be unseen
https://twitter.com/dril/status/972534838057230336

This one applies to my daily life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

tight aspirations posted:

Because plants and such don't feel pain in the same way animals do,

There's mounting evidence that this isn't true, and we assume it is because for most of human history we didn't really think of plants as being alive.

and aren't treated in the same cruel and inhumane way? Pretty loving basic stuff, really.

When people talk about the "cruel and inhumane" treatment of farm animals they're talking about treating animals the same way farms treat plants.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

i'm gunna post all of the fake article because its Facebook i'm not a professional of anything lol

can this be the permanent thread title

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Besesoth posted:

There's mounting evidence that this isn't true, and we assume it is because for most of human history we didn't really think of plants as being alive.

So plants have mammalian/ vertebrate central nervous systems, do they? Perhaps you would like to link some of this 'mounting evidence', and cite some sources on your "most of human history" statement, because it's both clear and obvious that plants are alive on account of how they, y'know, grow, breed and display all the agreed characteristics of being alive. People in the past weren't as stupid as you appear to think.

Besesoth posted:

When people talk about the "cruel and inhumane" treatment of farm animals they're talking about treating animals the same way farms treat plants.

You're gonna have to explain what you mean by this statement, because on face value, it's really loving dumb. Are you trying to make your initial statement appear less stupid? Because it really hasn't worked.

bhangraton
Aug 20, 2010
People have almost never thought that plants were alive, if we completely ignore animistic practices from all around the world for millenia that held otherwise and the fact that people who didn't believe in animism still thought they were alive because they clearly grow and die

like that's not even true about the West, jesus christ

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

I imagine their mentions are full of people shouting "Sylveon is trans" at them.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
this whole derail is stupid because it's pretending most vegans major hanging point is 'animals are treated cruelly' and not 'youre eating animals'. it's not like vegans would eat free-range eggs, even though they're primarily non-viable and it's just a chicken going about their life.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Cernunnos posted:

I imagine their mentions are full of people shouting "Sylveon is trans" at them.

Yes, yes it is

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

It can be shown that plants respond to stimulus. They respond to light and water. They respond to being damaged/eaten. They communicate with each other, through airborne hormones or, in some forests through chemicals sent along by symbiotic fungus living in their roots, syncing up so they all produce fruits the same year after several years of rest. Acacia trees produce bitter alkaloids in response to being eaten by giraffes, and warn other trees downwind to prepare themselves. Some plants produce pheromones that attract insects that prey on other insects eating them. Plants may not have central nervous systems, but they evidently don't need one, having evolved in such a drastically different way from kingdom animalia. They're still aware, and this is Thing we're only just realising. It's hard to know if they feel pain, exactly, but they have a form of sentience, very different and alien to our own.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

RoboRodent posted:

It can be shown that plants respond to stimulus. They respond to light and water. They respond to being damaged/eaten. They communicate with each other, through airborne hormones or, in some forests through chemicals sent along by symbiotic fungus living in their roots, syncing up so they all produce fruits the same year after several years of rest. Acacia trees produce bitter alkaloids in response to being eaten by giraffes, and warn other trees downwind to prepare themselves. Some plants produce pheromones that attract insects that prey on other insects eating them. Plants may not have central nervous systems, but they evidently don't need one, having evolved in such a drastically different way from kingdom animalia. They're still aware, and this is Thing we're only just realising. It's hard to know if they feel pain, exactly, but they have a form of sentience, very different and alien to our own.

Thanks, Lottery of Babylon

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

https://twitter.com/DrJenGunter/status/1025842875752280064

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/megynkelly/status/1025602317737840640

:ironicat:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I think the fact that we have to do tests to see if plants feel pain vs. just hearing an animal squeal in agony is kind of a clear indication.

Maybe plants feel pain, we're trying to find out. But we KNOW animals feel pain, and we either try to minimize that pain or just dole it out as we see fit. I'd go for minimization.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

this whole derail is stupid because it's pretending most vegans major hanging point is 'animals are treated cruelly' and not 'youre eating animals'. it's not like vegans would eat free-range eggs, even though they're primarily non-viable and it's just a chicken going about their life.

Right, I don't really get not eating honey, for instance, since that's one place where the animals couldn't give a poo poo about what we take because they literally make more than they could ever eat ever ever, we have zero-stress ways of collection, and the more bees kept the better for everything, especially agriculture. Is there something bad about honey I don't know? Maybe. But it seems okay to me, so I tend to take proscriptive diets with a grain of salt.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

So plants have mammalian/ vertebrate central nervous systems, do they?

Those goalposts must be heavy. Or do you actually think vertebrates are the only animals?

quote:

Perhaps you would like to link some of this 'mounting evidence'

Okay. Plants react to damage and to ill health. Plants respond to anesthetics, can learn, and can sense stimuli other than direct physical contact. Mimosa pudica has demonstrated the ability to learn and remember for at least a month.

quote:

and cite some sources on your "most of human history" statement, because it's both clear and obvious that plants are alive on account of how they, y'know, grow, breed and display all the agreed characteristics of being alive. People in the past weren't as stupid as you appear to think.

Veganism is part of a long Western tradition of treating non-animal life as things. (Yes, animism is a good example of people not doing that.) The Bible distinguishes between vegetation and living beings. Even in the last "Guardians of the Galaxy" movie there's a scene where a character looks out over a planet full of lush gardens and asks "isn't there any life here?". This isn't exactly a controversial statement.

quote:

You're gonna have to explain what you mean by this statement, because on face value, it's really loving dumb. Are you trying to make your initial statement appear less stupid? Because it really hasn't worked.

See, I felt like this one would be self-evident to anyone who's familiar with a farm. Cruel treatment of animals on farms involves keeping them in one place their entire lives, not giving them stimuli, only feeding them exactly what they need to survive, and slaughtering them mechanically or gathering their products (eggs, milk) mechanically and without regard to the health and well-being of the animal. The only difference between the way corn is treated and the way beef cattle are treated on industrial farms is that the combine harvester has to go to the plants, whereas the cows can be led to the abattoir.

Also,

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

The point I was originally trying to make is that vegans treat eating one kingdom of life as horrible and wrong, but every other kingdom is A-OK to gobble up, and just once I'd like a vegan to examine why that is. If their answer is "I know animals feel pain and I don't know whether plants do, and I'm comfortable assuming they don't", fine.

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Aug 4, 2018

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Brawnfire posted:

the more bees kept the better for everything, especially agriculture.

Honey bees are invasive to the new world and compete with native pollinators. Domestic honey bees even compete with wild honey bees in places where they are endemic. Bee keeping is good for the honey and honey bee pollinated crop industries but that's about as far as the benefits of it goes.

Mak0rz has a new favorite as of 22:20 on Aug 4, 2018

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Brawnfire posted:

I think the fact that we have to do tests to see if plants feel pain vs. just hearing an animal squeal in agony is kind of a clear indication.

Maybe plants feel pain, we're trying to find out. But we KNOW animals feel pain, and we either try to minimize that pain or just dole it out as we see fit. I'd go for minimization.

So what you're telling me is that we need to breed brainless crippled animals that can't feel or scream and everyone would be happy to watch farmers shovel around their limp, blobby shapes?

I don't understand this. Especially since, if I'm remembering my pokemon at least, there is at least one pokemon that does actually switch gender, or at least presentation? when it evolves.

EDIT: Also is the implication that every single Sylveon trans? This boggles my mind way more than it should.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

"FREEDOM OF SPEECH" I shout until my voice becomes a croak and the words have lost all meaning

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

That's like 800 calories a bowl.

I'm not a lumberjack working in Antarctica. I can't use up those calories.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Because plants and such don't feel pain in the same way animals do, and aren't treated in the same cruel and inhumane way? Pretty loving basic stuff, really.

But what if they were triffids?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

I asked for your "mounting evidence that plants feel pain in the same way as animals". That passage does not give any.

Besesoth posted:

Veganism is part of a long Western tradition of treating non-animal life as things. (Yes, animism is a good example of people not doing that.) The Bible distinguishes between vegetation and living beings. Even in the last "Guardians of the Galaxy" movie there's a scene where a character looks out over a planet full of lush gardens and asks "isn't there any life here?". This isn't exactly a controversial statement.

I asked for evidence that "for most of human history we didn't really think of plants as being alive." That passage does not give any.

Besesoth posted:

See, I felt like this one would be self-evident to anyone who's familiar with a farm. Cruel treatment of animals on farms involves keeping them in one place their entire lives, not giving them stimuli, only feeding them exactly what they need to survive, and slaughtering them mechanically or gathering their products (eggs, milk) mechanically and without regard to the health and well-being of the animal. The only difference between the way corn is treated and the way beef cattle are treated on industrial farms is that the combine harvester has to go to the plants, whereas the cows can be led to the abattoir.

As, I said before, comparing the treatment of animals and plants is loving dumb, there is an absolute world of difference between them. Here's one example: transport of live animals is intensely cruel and inhumane - plants don't need to be transported in such a way. There are many, many types of cruel and inhuman treatment for animals, over and above what you stated - do you think cows like being separated from their calves? Do you think wheat has separation anxiety? Cows are given hormones to stimulate milk production, stressing their bodies. Soya does not.

Besesoth posted:

The point I was originally trying to make is that vegans treat eating one kingdom of life as horrible and wrong, but every other kingdom is A-OK to gobble up, and just once I'd like a vegan to examine why that is. If their answer is "I know animals feel pain and I don't know whether plants do, and I'm comfortable assuming they don't", fine.

Raising animals is a way more costly exercise in terms of land, water, feed and other sundry items, therefore the environmental impact of meat is so much higher than plants. Is that an acceptable reason? Here's another - humans don't need to eat meat. They however, cannot get by without eating plants. One more: the practice of the commodification of sentient biological life is awful.

There, you've had three goes at it, and you still look as loving dumb as when you said "plants aren't really alive".

tight aspirations has a new favorite as of 22:40 on Aug 4, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Once we realize even plants suffer at our greedy hands we'll either all voluntarily commit suicide for the betterment of the planet or decide the pain of others doesn't matter if it stands in the way of our nourishment and thus change our behavior to reflect that.

And that's how our grandkids all become full blown cannibalistic omnivores. Just eating anything slow enough for us to catch it.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Nuebot posted:

So what you're telling me is that we need to breed brainless crippled animals that can't feel or scream and everyone would be happy to watch farmers shovel around their limp, blobby shapes?

There's some debate among vegans about whether it would be okay to eat synthetic "cultured meat". Votes seem to be split pretty evenly between "yes, because no animals were harmed", "no, because you can't prove that", and "no, because ew".

quote:

I don't understand this. Especially since, if I'm remembering my pokemon at least, there is at least one pokemon that does actually switch gender, or at least presentation? when it evolves.

EDIT: Also is the implication that every single Sylveon trans? This boggles my mind way more than it should.

It's a ridiculous meme based on the fact that Sylveon's colors are roughly the same as the trans pride flag. Some transphobes take it way too seriously.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh god please stop

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Yes Miss Bird, sorry Miss Bird :smith:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Wow I didn't know LAB's friend posted here

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Krispy Wafer posted:

Once we realize even plants suffer at our greedy hands we'll either all voluntarily commit suicide for the betterment of the planet or decide the pain of others doesn't matter if it stands in the way of our nourishment and thus change our behavior to reflect that.

And that's how our grandkids all become full blown cannibalistic omnivores. Just eating anything slow enough for us to catch it.

There's like a level of veganism where you only eat plants that want to be eaten, like apples, berries, tomatoes, eggplant etc.

They spread their seeds by being eaten and so put a lot of energy into making their seeds delicious.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Oh god please stop

Vegan chat or trans chat?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

There's like a level of veganism where you only eat plants that want to be eaten, like apples, berries, tomatoes, eggplant etc.

They spread their seeds by being eaten and so put a lot of energy into making their seeds delicious.

Yes, but even then you can only eat that fruit if you poop outside. Otherwise you are violating the food contract.

So you go through all that effort to make sure the Fruitarianist your son brought home has something to eat and now the dog in the backyard is really confused.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

We can have both. A tomato is a fruit that can pass for a vegetable, agree/disagree?

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Krispy Wafer posted:

Yes, but even then you can only eat that fruit if you poop outside. Otherwise you are violating the food contract.

So you go through all that effort to make sure the Fruitarianist your son brought home has something to eat and now the dog in the backyard is really confused.

What if I spit out the seeds at the poop?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

"FREEDOM OF SPEECH" I shout until my voice becomes a croak and the words have lost all meaning
as the woman in question once quoted a goon saying about herself

Sarah Jeong Did Nothing Wreong

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Besesoth posted:

It's a ridiculous meme based on the fact that Sylveon's colors are roughly the same as the trans pride flag. Some transphobes take it way too seriously.

Aha, so most of the comments are just dumping on the guy who made the page defending the honor of his pokemon waifu? I understand now.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

IncredibleIgloo posted:

We can have both. A tomato is a fruit that can pass for a vegetable, agree/disagree?
Tomato Exclusionary Radical Fruitarians

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

DACK FAYDEN posted:

as the woman in question once quoted a goon saying about herself

Sarah Jeong Did Nothing Wreong

How will the internet feel when they find out Sarah is a goon?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Pyromaniac Ida posted:

The former :saddowns:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

EL BROMANCE posted:

How will the internet feel when they find out Sarah is a goon?

:aaaaa:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Right, I don't really get not eating honey, for instance, since that's one place where the animals couldn't give a poo poo about what we take because they literally make more than they could ever eat ever ever, we have zero-stress ways of collection, and the more bees kept the better for everything, especially agriculture. Is there something bad about honey I don't know? Maybe. But it seems okay to me, so I tend to take proscriptive diets with a grain of salt.

If honey good why bees hurt?? checkmate athiests

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Was a goon, until goony goons gooned off at her and she peaced out.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Weatherman posted:

Was a goon, until goony goons gooned off at her and she peaced out.
Yeah, if she was still a goon that'd be one thing, but ladies getting gooned away is a common story (even if it's not always true - I think Kate Beaton just left of her own accord but then over time the story evolved into getting gooned out by goony goon goons)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/hannah_blooms/status/1025729068111745024
https://twitter.com/EqualityEd/status/1025876153960222720
https://twitter.com/AlainnFocail/status/1025882601096142848
https://twitter.com/EqualityEd/status/1025884616538898433

:allears: