Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Takoluka posted:

Counterpoint: it's fine. It's cute and has decent dialogue.

You might as well just watch Steven Universe, it even has a video game now.

The bar's been raised a fair bit even for children's cartoons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Random Stranger posted:

I skipped the original release because the Lego games have been kind of running thin. Even if I like playing one from time to time, they're extremely locked into their formula and are completely unwilling to really play with the license. But Undercover's really big open world means that you can always find something else to get into, and without a license they're free to dive whole hog into their parodies.

I really wish they'd do more Lego games that weren't just movie tie-ins like Lego City: Undercover :sigh:.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really wish they'd do more Lego games that weren't just movie tie-ins like Lego City: Undercover :sigh:.

Bring back Lego Island on Switch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeANMcBAY posted:

Bring back Lego Island on Switch.

Let a whole new generation of children forever have Brick-By-Brick trapped in their heads, lurking in their memories and waiting for some bastard to mention Lego Island just to get it playing through their skull once again :stonklol:.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The Brickster’s loose! THE BRICKSTER’S LOOSE!

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I'm very ready for a clay-styled Mario or Yoshi game.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Well someone went through all the F2P online games like Fortnite and Paladins and the note of needing an online subscription to play when the service goes live is missing. Any online paid games have the more but not any F2P games. This would follow how Sony does their PSPlus service compared to Xbox Live where any online game needs the subscription

Apparently the Jackbox Party Pack games also won't need the subscription.

https://mobile.twitter.com/thebenjacobs/status/1006918960791609345

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I assume the same goes for use your words.

Since those are technically played via web device and the switch just displays what's going on

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Just want to point out that Picross 2 was released this week. Nothing really new, but if you love Picross, lots more puzzles.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

veni veni veni posted:

Anybody getting Dead Cells?

It was on sale on Steam not too long ago so I picked it up there. Looking forward to playing it, been waiting forever for it to be released. I wanted to buy it physical on the Switch but couldn't beat the Steam price.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You might as well just watch Steven Universe, it even has a video game now.

The bar's been raised a fair bit even for children's cartoons.

Call me when they make an American show as good as Avatar TLA or an anime as good as FMA Brotherhood

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I am loving Hollow Knight and it seems like Salt and Sanctuary is being spoken about like a very similar game. However I watched some gameplay and that art direction just does not jive with me at all. It looks terrible. Is the gameplay good enough to overcome that?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

it’s similar in the sense that it’s a 2d platformer with a heavy dose of dark souls inspiration. s&s is much more literally dark souls with classes and a dodge roll. I’ve only played it a little but it’s not very similar.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

also yeah it’s ugly

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

RCarr posted:

I am loving Hollow Knight and it seems like Salt and Sanctuary is being spoken about like a very similar game. However I watched some gameplay and that art direction just does not jive with me at all. It looks terrible. Is the gameplay good enough to overcome that?

Whoever said it looks like newgrounds trash is very accurate. There's no way the gameplay is smooth with those physics.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
S&S = 2D dark souls, focus on fighting poo poo. You'll traverse combat arena after combat arena until you fight a boss.

Hollow Knight is way more polished, focused more on exploration, movement, atmosphere. In my mind they are -very- different types of games. But HK is one of the best games of this generation (imo), while S&S is mediocre at best, even if you like the genre.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Kiranamos posted:

Call me when they make an American show as good as Avatar TLA or an anime as good as FMA Brotherhood

I would rank Steven Universe among those two shows.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kiranamos posted:

The averages are higher than they used to be and also you are definitely looking at both of those shows with rose-coloured glasses

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

The averages are higher than they used to be and also you are definitely looking at both of those shows with rose-coloured glasses

Having rewatched both this year, ya boi is straight wrong.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

I played a shitload of Iconoclasts yesterday, like it a lot more than I expected to reading some earlier posts in this thread.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RCarr posted:

Nope

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kiranamos posted:

Could you define what you mean by 'American Show' inf TLA doesn't count despite being American made?

TheKingofSprings posted:

TLA is still top-notch.

Legend of Korra S1, on the other hand...

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kiranamos posted:

Having rewatched both this year, ya boi is straight wrong.

Brotherhood’s first 15 episodes rely on you having either read the manga or watched an entirely different series if you don’t want the story pared down a lot and as a series it is hyperprone to tonal whiplash.

Avatar has a first season that at times borders on painful and it gets a bit unfocused during the third season.

They are both great but they are not perfect.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
Where the gently caress is my SNES Remix

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So due to the Wii U's abysmal sales over it's near five year run, is it safe to categorize it as a "failed system" like the Dreamcast, NeoGeo Pocket, and 3DO?

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is there such thing as a game like Animal Crossing in that I can play every day for a few hours and then be done but has NPCs I interact with

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

thexerox123 posted:

I would rank Steven Universe among those two shows.

Steven Universe is a harem anime for people who are afraid of sex.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Kiranamos posted:

Call me when they make an American show as good as Avatar TLA

new DuckTales, my dude

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

TheKingofSprings posted:

Brotherhood’s first 15 episodes rely on you having either read the manga or watched an entirely different series if you don’t want the story pared down a lot and as a series it is hyperprone to tonal whiplash.

Avatar has a first season that at times borders on painful and it gets a bit unfocused during the third season.

They are both great but they are not perfect.

So what's wrong with Steven Universe?

Also I forgot this is the switch thread so uhh I just want to say I'm so ready for Dead Cells :)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Steven Universe is a harem anime for people who are afraid of sex.

Harem anime is already for people who are afraid of sex.

Kiranamos posted:

So what's wrong with Steven Universe?

Also I forgot this is the switch thread so uhh I just want to say I'm so ready for Dead Cells :)

First season Steven is pretty annoying and loud.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Guy Goodbody posted:

new game coming to eshop next week

I wonder how many VNs there are total about dating the Shinsengumi, either as a girl, a gay guy, or a straight guy and they're girls?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Bleck posted:

new DuckTales, my dude

It's really good, there's a whole episode that's just an homage to The Warriors

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is there such thing as a game like Animal Crossing in that I can play every day for a few hours and then be done but has NPCs I interact with

Not that I'm aware of. Nothing with a persistent clock as far as I'm aware. Stardew Valley is vaguely similar I guess, but it's more of a harvest moon-like than animal crossing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

LODGE NORTH posted:

Octopath has a lot of NPCs to interact with and encourage and steal from.

Of course it also has other gameplay outside that, but you could pretend the battle system and story and stuff like that is like playing the NES games of the original AC.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Octopath sidequests -- the ones that aren't explicit "come back when you find a person/place/thing" where I don't immediately see what I'm supposed to do after talking to everyone involved, should I assume that involves a path action for a party member I don't have yet?

Not looking for the solutions but as an example of what I'm talking about the two that pop up in Tressa's hometown after her Ch. 1 -- woman being wooed by a man she doesn't like, guy at the docks asks you to help him become an adventurer. Tried beating up people involved with Olberic or looking for something relevant to buy with Tressa but couldn't figure them out.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Octopath sidequests -- the ones that aren't explicit "come back when you find a person/place/thing" where I don't immediately see what I'm supposed to do after talking to everyone involved, should I assume that involves a path action for a party member I don't have yet?

Not looking for the solutions but as an example of what I'm talking about the two that pop up in Tressa's hometown after her Ch. 1 -- woman being wooed by a man she doesn't like, guy at the docks asks you to help him become an adventurer. Tried beating up people involved with Olberic or looking for something relevant to buy with Tressa but couldn't figure them out.

So I had to google the answer to a few but then the way they’re setup started to click with me. For example you would want to challenge the guy trying to woo the girl with Olberic, but you don’t want to just destroy him once you hop into battle.

And I think you were on the right path with the adventurer guy, but I can’t recall if the item he needs is in that town or another.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

It's in that town. Sidequest items have diamond marks so always look for that.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Ah cool, those were the exact solutions I suspected but I had a kink in each of them -- couldn't give the guy the gear cause I'd already beat him up and hadn't thought to reload the map; option to beat up the suitor was greyed out cause Olberic was underleveled. Thanks!

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
Yeah some stuff is level-gated. I ran into a guy I couldn’t ‘guide’ until level 40 but I was able to at least attempt to allure him with Primrose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Unexplored looks dangerous to my health

• Locked thread