Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, I'm sure little girls still enjoy it (though I imagine a lot of them have probably outgrown it after seven years)

This ignores the influx of new viewers thanks to Netflix. My friend’s 2-year-old daughter will just sit with the iPad and watch one My Little Pony episode/movie repeatedly for as long as she’s allowed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phylodox posted:

This ignores the influx of new viewers thanks to Netflix. My friend’s 2-year-old daughter will just sit with the iPad and watch one My Little Pony episode/movie repeatedly for as long as she’s allowed to.

You know, I genuinely hadn't thought of that. :haw:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
My nephew is a Brony

But it's okay because he's 39 years old

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

lelandjs posted:

I would be absolutely fascinated to see what the overlap is between former/current Bronies and the alt right.

Wait. Not fascinated. Horrified.

i was under the distinct impression that MLP allowed bronies to truly understand the depth of the horrors of the holocaust, not claim it didn't exist

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Kind of the point of the new MLP raising the bar for girls' cartoons to be merely average by cartoon standards rather than infantile garbage is that girls wouldn't turn against it so quickly when they got older, like you traditionally saw with Barbie and such. It's made by people who grew up with 80s and/or 90s TV for girls and wanted to do better.

I'd say wait 20 years and you'll get ponies coming back in full force as nostalgia, but these days I don't think they even try to wait that long to start up the eternal nostalgia train.

dirksteadfast posted:

This is just me talking out my rear end because I don’t know for sure, but I believe a lot of anime is done on very small budgets. 2D anime has had to hide their cut corners with stylization for years, but I assume CGI is recent enough that there are less people who know how to stretch it to its limits.

Animation has never been cheap, but anime infamously tends to be for most productions. Long-running stuff is especially bad with all manners of corner cutting and stylisation (more complicated character designs that you rarely see doing much dynamic movement, for one, compared to more simplified western cartoons that were built around animation. Note that this isn't exclusive, as plenty of Japanese animation does things more like an American cartoon instead) while shorter shows that have like, 12 episodes and a movie tend to save most of the budget for the big action setpieces and fill out the rest with cheap drama scenes and stock footage.

I think the 3D thing is just that most 3D cartoons tend to have real obvious jank, and quickly run up against the flaws of the medium (because new characters are expensive to make, you have to recycle the same models as much as you can, especially more so for settings and locations) on top of having to adapt to a different style of animation that your studio may or may not have proper experience with.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

There's a pliability to drawings that most CG models don't have, unless you're dealing with feature-quality rigs and have the time to polish the animation like crazy.

When you try to match the anime style by doing 8-12 "drawings" per second, the combination of lack of pliability and perfect volume conservation makes the animation look both stiff and smooth.

CG animation is great for VFX. I wish most cartoon studios still did hand drawn work. But it is nice for CG animators to be able to apply their skills in VFX, games, and features. Makes for a slightly better employment situation.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Holy poo poo, you weren’t wrong TTGttM was amazingly funny, and I loved it! The Circle of Life dream had me crying.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I just looked up what sessions are available for TTGttM at my local cinema here in Australia and for some pants-on-head-stupid reason they're not releasing it until September 13 :wtc:

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kind of the point of the new MLP raising the bar for girls' cartoons to be merely average by cartoon standards rather than infantile garbage is that girls wouldn't turn against it so quickly when they got older, like you traditionally saw with Barbie and such. It's made by people who grew up with 80s and/or 90s TV for girls and wanted to do better.

I'd say wait 20 years and you'll get ponies coming back in full force as nostalgia, but these days I don't think they even try to wait that long to start up the eternal nostalgia train.
My Little Pony isn't a great piece of animation, but I think the reason that adults liked it--not the ones who obsessed over it, but appreciated it-- was because it presented pretty humane and thoughtful messaging that invoked a lot of PBS's better children's programming like Mr. Rogers with a more Nickelodeon sense of silliness. I think there's a core level of decency that wasn't in a lot of children's cartoons of the early 2000s, especially outside of PBS.

I think a hallmark of the last ten years is a lot of folks warming to stuff that highlights general decency, and I think the non-child appreciation of MLP was similar to why people got really into Parks and Recreation or part of why people are so into Steven Universe.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 4, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Timeless Appeal posted:

My Little Pony isn't a great piece of animation, but I think the reason that adults liked it--not the ones who obsessed over it, but appreciated it-- was because it presented pretty humane and thoughtful messaging that invoked a lot of PBS's better children's programming like Mr. Rogers with a more Nickelodeon sense of silliness. I think there's a core level of decency that wasn't in a lot of children's cartoons of the early 2000s, especially outside of PBS.

I think a hallmark of the last ten years is a lot of folks warming to stuff that highlights general decency, and I think the non-child like appreciation of MLP was similar to why people got really into Parks and Recreation or part of why people are so into Steven Universe.

I don't know who you are or where you come from, but you're dead-on.

I think there was just a huge, heartfelt desire for something we weren't seeing: tv that was just nice. As in pleasant. Otherwise, media had gotten so dark and miserable, people really needed an outlet. I actually think that fun is on an upswing again, but especially when MLP was first coming out, everything else around was just grim.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

I think there was just a huge, heartfelt desire for something we weren't seeing: tv that was just nice. As in pleasant. Otherwise, media had gotten so dark and miserable, people really needed an outlet. I actually think that fun is on an upswing again, but especially when MLP was first coming out, everything else around was just grim.

It's been 10 years but I still remember being in a discussion with a guy who was upset that the live-action Speed Racer movie was "silly" because he thought fans who'd grown up on the cartoon "deserve(d) edgier fare" as adults, comparing to The Dark Knight. As stupid as it is, it's one of those exchanges which I think actually had a pretty big impact on what I think of "fandom" as a concept.

I suppose it goes back and forth and Batman is a good example. Fans spent nearly 30 years being ashamed of and embarrassed by the Adam West series. I don't know if people are bored of Batman being all grim all the time yet (though people certainly liked Batman: The Brave & the Bold a whole lot) but that's been the norm for the character in mainstream consciousness since the late 80s.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
You can find old posts going back where I maintain Schumacher's Batman movies are better than Nolan's and I stand by that.

Although LEGO Batman is certainly the best, and does a good job of challenging grim-Batman.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The 60's Batman movie is the best one, and always has been. BAS comes close, though. I thought LEGO Batman was more LEGO Dimensions than Batman.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 4, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Pick posted:

You can find old posts going back where I maintain Schumacher's Batman movies are better than Nolan's and I stand by that.

One of my favourite Kevin Smith stories (because it reflects poorly on him in my estimation) is when he recounts being on the set of Batman & Robin on day one and being disgusted and horrified when Schumacher announced to the assembled cast and crew, "Remember, people, this is a cartoon!" Of course, Smith recently had that tweet where he gushed about how thrilled he was that Robin says, "gently caress Batman," now instead of, "Holy moly, Batman!" :v:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

As someone who didn't really watch TTG, TTGTTM is AMAZING. Why isn't anyone talking about that stinger right at the end of the movie??

"KIDS, ASK YOUR PARENTS WHERE BABIES COME FROM!!"

The only ones in my theater who laughed at that were the adults. None of the kids understood why we were all cracking up in utter shock.

This grandpa was forced to go take his grand-daughter after his brother went to go see it and told him to sit through ALL of the credits because something special was at the very end. He was not pleased. haha It's not worth sitting through, honestly.

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think a hallmark of the last ten years is a lot of folks warming to stuff that highlights general decency, and I think the non-child like appreciation of MLP was similar to why people got really into Parks and Recreation or part of why people are so into Steven Universe.

Honestly, I liked it because of what you said but what really made me just stop watching was there was no character development after Lauren Faust left. Maybe shows like Steven Universe and Gravity Falls have spoiled me. Every season, the characters in MLP learn the same lessons over and over all while getting yet another power upgrade.

That's another weird thing...MLP has power creep now and that's the weirdest thing of all.

The movie was great though and I want Emily Blunt to be a villain again in some other animated thing. Maybe Spider-Man's upcoming cartoon.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
As soon as any show is spearheaded/written by its fans, it begins to suck. And the power creep ended up causing problems, primarily because they started trying to be "EPIC" when what was appealing about the early seasons was it was dealing with stuff like running errands politely. One of the best examples of the early writing is bringing Discord around because it's done in a kind of banal way (i.e. it requires no magic or power, it's just interactions any person could do) and then later there's like giant evil clouds more powerful than gods or something I don't know I wasn't watching any more.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Meanwhile, most of us were horrified by the 'gently caress Batman', Batman and Robins usually had pretty rocky relationships especially when they get older, but they're family, the bat group is best when they're a bunch of messed up people who love each other but are bad at expressing it instead of well... open antagonism, or Batman/Robin going solo and telling everyone they suppose to care for to gently caress off and never talk to them.

And honestly the costumes look loving horrible on top of it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The Challengers of the Unknown being there was a fantastic running joke. That was about as obscure as you can get.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Robindaybird posted:

Meanwhile, most of us were horrified by the 'gently caress Batman', Batman and Robins usually had pretty rocky relationships especially when they get older, but they're family, the bat group is best when they're a bunch of messed up people who love each other but are bad at expressing it instead of well... open antagonism, or Batman/Robin going solo and telling everyone they suppose to care for to gently caress off and never talk to them.

And honestly the costumes look loving horrible on top of it.

The line from Raven "Sometimes...the darkness inside me... I Like it..." made my crops wither and gave me dysentery.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ThermoPhysical posted:

Honestly, I liked it because of what you said but what really made me just stop watching was there was no character development after Lauren Faust left. Maybe shows like Steven Universe and Gravity Falls have spoiled me. Every season, the characters in MLP learn the same lessons over and over all while getting yet another power upgrade.

That's another weird thing...MLP has power creep now and that's the weirdest thing of all.

What.

Can I get an explanation here? I know Twilight Sparkle became a princess, but aside from that, how does the show have power creep?

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

paradoxGentleman posted:

The line from Raven "Sometimes...the darkness inside me... I Like it..." made my crops wither and gave me dysentery.

Like, Teen Titans can have genuinely dark storylines (Jericho and Deathstroke), but you cant' do grim dark... with those awful costumes.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Vandar posted:

What.

Can I get an explanation here? I know Twilight Sparkle became a princess, but aside from that, how does the show have power creep?

Same. I watched half of the first season back in 2009, and then heard that she became a princess, but am also intrigued.

E: I also watched the discord episodes because I love john de lancey, but it's still been nearly ten years.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

https://youtu.be/eoowtoEle14?t=26
Well, here's an example. You'll notice this is closer to a DBZ fight than something you'd expect out of MLP.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, I'm sure little girls still enjoy it (though I imagine a lot of them have probably outgrown it after seven years) but I meant are bronies still a big thing? I don't feel like I hear about them a lot when they used to be everywhere on the Internet a few years back.

there was a bronycon in Baltimore's huge convention center last week that was extremely heavily attended by people who looked exactly like you're picturing them looking. It's just all the rest of the internet has moved on to obsessing over frog nazis and etc.

Wheat Loaf posted:

It's been 10 years but I still remember being in a discussion with a guy who was upset that the live-action Speed Racer movie was "silly" because he thought fans who'd grown up on the cartoon "deserve(d) edgier fare" as adults, comparing to The Dark Knight. As stupid as it is, it's one of those exchanges which I think actually had a pretty big impact on what I think of "fandom" as a concept.

I suppose it goes back and forth and Batman is a good example. Fans spent nearly 30 years being ashamed of and embarrassed by the Adam West series. I don't know if people are bored of Batman being all grim all the time yet (though people certainly liked Batman: The Brave & the Bold a whole lot) but that's been the norm for the character in mainstream consciousness since the late 80s.

yeah it seems like this poo poo comes in cyclical fads, I do wonder how many of the 30-year-old teenage boys insisting every piece of childrens' media needs to be improved by making it grimdark are just like that because their tastes got formed by 90s cartoons that tried to stick pizza and backwards baseball hats and an edgy 'tude on everything possible

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Much like the anime boom, certain pieces and types of media blow up because they're the first to service a need everything else is neglecting.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

As far as MLP goes, I watched Season 1 repeatedly, half of Season 2 repeatedly, the remainder of Season 2 and all of Seasons 3 and 4 once, and never touched anything since (movie included, to make it relevant to this thread). Sorta meant to do so, just never have. I can't imagine the quality suddenly got much better, but it was at an okay place when I dropped it anyway, I guess.

I just remember getting too :goonsay: about episode orderings on wikis (every season between 2 and 4 aired episodes out of production ordering, the first instance of such being episodes 11-13 of season 2, so assigning numbers to them was stuck between those two camps) and realizing, hey, yeah, maybe I should take a step back from the show if I'm getting into heated arguments like this over cartoons for children. (...So I did.)

And since the question was floated earlier, my politics lean hard left, so I guess I'm not in the overlap between bronies and the alt-right that frighteningly very likely exists.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The airing/production order shenanigans happen with pretty much every cartoon, though. New DuckTales (which is awesome btw) had a lot of that.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

paradoxGentleman posted:

Well, here's an example. You'll notice this is closer to a DBZ fight than something you'd expect out of MLP.

:stare:

No but really, :stare:.

What the hell happened to this show?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vandar posted:

:stare:

No but really, :stare:.

What the hell happened to this show?

To be fair, that's a season finale special, not a typical episode. They defeat a magical supervillain with the power of friendship lasers in the pilot, after all. (which was basically the intended plot of the pilot and the first season finale before they were told they couldn't have an ongoing plot)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

paradoxGentleman posted:

So, like... Is this played straight or is it like that time Studio 4°C animated for Gumball?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Holy poo poo, change the chroma key and this is Namek.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB2diWCfzGo

This is badass tho.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Aug 5, 2018

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

I've never actually sat through an entire episode but endless volumes of deviantart stuff told me that's exactly what my little pony is about. sometimes the ponies have guns.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Das Boo posted:

So, like... Is this played straight or is it like that time Studio 4°C animated for Gumball?

As Ghost Leviathan said, this is the big finale of a season (I think the 4th one? I don't remember), but yes it is played straight. The villain spent the time before this battle eating the magic of ponies and getting buff.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Latest seasons they basically start introducing a whole bunch of new characters (and having previously one-off or minor characters show up more often) probably because they've pretty much run out of things to do with the core cast. Pretty much the inevitable direction cartoons go when they don't turn into mean-spirited parodies of themselves ala Zombie Simpsons or have ill-advised retools. (also means they can sell more toys)

There's probably a reason most of the most praised cartoons have like, 5 seasons max. Hell, most good shows in general. The Simpsons was pretty impressive for being good as long as it was. (maybe if you don't count the first season or two when the show was clearly still finding its feet)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

paradoxGentleman posted:

As Ghost Leviathan said, this is the big finale of a season (I think the 4th one? I don't remember), but yes it is played straight. The villain spent the time before this battle eating the magic of ponies and getting buff.

Did the target demographic end up taking a hard left? I've only seen 3 episodes, but it was definitely a preschool target in the beginning. And while I won't say preschool shows can't be episodic, that was definitely an age where I was 100% happy watching that 80's MLP movie every day. Either way, this was not what I saw in my sampling at all. Maybe the first two episodes and "Rainbow Dash wants to be a Blue Angel" were coincidentally fluff episodes between Twilight's hyperbolic time chamber training and Applejack learning the spirit bomb.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
The show's 8 years old, so I think they grew it with the intended audience.

Also I think there was a time travel one.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm trying to imagine 13 year-old me watching MLP.
Teenagers are not forgiving.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

The show's 8 years old, so I think they grew it with the intended audience.

Also I think there was a time travel one.

With multiple post-apocalyptic futures! And one where the characters' home town had been converted into factory farms to feed a war effort against a magical horde from the north, and several characters had become hardened soldiers fighting on the front lines.

The first season is literally made with pre-schoolers in mind for scripting purposes given they were trying to meet Canadian standards for educational television, but modern cartoons don't really let themselves be constrained by demographics anymore. The lunatics have been running that asylum for a while now.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I currently work on a show where we can't show junk food because our demographic might be influenced. A friend pitched a preschool show but was turned down on the premise, "Your character can't be sad. Young kids don't like to see other kids sad." Young Justice got axed because too many girls liked it. Another friend is caught in reboard hell because the network is reserving intricate animation ventures for male-focused shows. Another one was told to make their lead more feminine because the boys in the test audience were confused about her gender.

There are exceptions (usually regarding your name), but the constraints are very real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Writing for pre-school kids sounds like a recipe for depression.