Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
https://twitter.com/OntLiberal/status/1024754904026374144?s=19

https://twitter.com/gindaanis/status/1024988255819845636?s=19

https://twitter.com/JeffClark1969/status/1024988762596564992?s=19

:smugbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

the talent deficit posted:

i mean this in the politest way but you're a loving moron. free trade is destructive BECAUSE we don't have free movement. when your job can go overseas but you can't follow you get hosed.

Is that the problem? When auto production goes to Mexico who are the Canadians that are saying "I would like to go to Mexico to keep building cars but they won't let me in"?

The problem is more like when you have free trade with places with lower standards and protections for labour.

edit: free movement would also work but not because of people following jobs but because the places that are shittier to work in won't have workers willing to stay to do those jobs to begin with

edit 2: actually wait that would probably just turn into the worst race to the bottom where all the jobs go to places that are lovely to work in and you are forced to freely move to said places to be able to feed yourself, so maybe free trade is actually bad?

edit 3: capitalism is pretty bad, guys

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Aug 4, 2018

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

T.C. posted:

Irregular border crossers aren't doing it because they're dastardly people flouting the law. It's because we have to process an asylum claim if it's made on our territory. The Safe Third Party agreement is a treaty between the US and Canada that agrees that neither party will allow people to cross the border from the other country to claim asylum except in specific situations. Basically, people have to claim asylum in whichever of the two countries they land in first, and we stop them from doing it by denying them entry into the second country.

Weirdly, people are a bit terrified of seeking asylum in the US right now, so legitimate asylum seekers are trying to get around this. If they can cross the border, they're entitled to make a claim, so they understandably do that.

People are crossing the border irregularly and then immediately reporting to the border services. The thing that's being broken is a US/Canada treat, not some criminal law. There's no crime here.

One of the exceptions to the agreement is in relation to family members. They can cross from one country to the other to make a claim so that you don't have a situation where half a family lands in Canada and has to claim there and the other half lands in the US and has to claim there. It's to avoid splitting families of these vulnerable groups.

The real lesson is that we should suspend the Safe Third Party agreement for as many situations as possible until the US relaxes on the human rights abuses a little bit. It makes us complicit.

It's all true but their ire is with the fact that these people exist at all. In their mind there is a flood of strange people who at worst secretly hate us snd will murder us, or at best have arrived to take advantage of all the benefits of our country without contributing a thing. In both cases their existence in the country will erode our freedoms and push us into a communist Sharia state.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
If they came through 'legally' that is a problem with secret muslim Justin Trudeau who is secretly working to exterminate all whites.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

I admit it is pretty smug but that is a major flaw in our election system, there is, sometimes, no half-mesure, no compromised. You win or lose, no matter how big or small is the gap between the loser and the winner. Also I deplore that there is no system in place to assure continuity of social endeavor. I was pretty excited about the basic income project and, for now, it is gone in the wind...

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

lmao

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Bleusilences posted:

I admit it is pretty smug but that is a major flaw in our election system, there is, sometimes, no half-mesure, no compromised. You win or lose, no matter how big or small is the gap between the loser and the winner. Also I deplore that there is no system in place to assure continuity of social endeavor. I was pretty excited about the basic income project and, for now, it is gone in the wind...

not really, the liberals literally said they were going to lose the election but to vote for them anyway so there wouldnt be a pc or ndp majority

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Bleusilences posted:

Those are the rules of the game but they chose a strategy that would be best for the party but harmed their constituents. They sold us all out.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Anti-immigrants are often those who don't know any non-white immigrants.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Wistful of Dollars posted:

Anti-immigrants are often those who don't know any non-white immigrants.

Agreed, it’s easy to hate what you don’t know, especially when their media diet consists all of conservative anti-immigrant rhetoric, there is literally no one and nothing contradicting their terrible opinions.

My conservative grandpa loved to debate and after a few hours I got him to admit that he does not know a single person of colour. For his generation, anecdotal evidence is most important. So despite him thinking that I am too young and naive to truly understand the world, having worked in a classroom where of 27 students, 15 different countries of origin were represented, maybe I had some experience in knowing that immigrants weren’t evil leeches.

Those who have no experience with immigrants and live in lily white neighbourhoods want to control what happens in the cities where most people think it’s not a problem.

Then the issue of trans people came up on the news and I got to go down that fun rabbit hole next.

A few pages ago when Toronto goons were freaking out about Dougie halving Toronto municipal representation, some were arguing for Toronto to become its own province. Someone said Berlin was its own province (or German equivalent) and China and Taiwan do it too.

Is anyone in Canada seriously considering this? Do we even have the legal ability to do so? Also, if you could make a city a province what would be the cut off point? Looking at electoral results in Vancouver from the 2017 election, there are still a lot of Liberals elected in the suburbs...

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ARACHTION posted:

Is anyone in Canada seriously considering this? Do we even have the legal ability to do so? Also, if you could make a city a province what would be the cut off point? Looking at electoral results in Vancouver from the 2017 election, there are still a lot of Liberals elected in the suburbs...

Cities already have boundaries. If a city became a province it wouldn't all of a sudden be walled off from its surrounding municipalities.

But unless all the big cities banded together there's no realistic way that there would be enough support for the whole country to let Toronto or any other city separate.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
We might as well divide up Ontario now anyway. Let Toronto become its own City-Province. Ottawa-Gatineau can become a separate National Capital Region and northern Ontario can split from the south.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I happened to be scrolling down the front page of Youtube and this is what I saw

The internet is poison

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

ARACHTION posted:

Agreed, it’s easy to hate what you don’t know, especially when their media diet consists all of conservative anti-immigrant rhetoric, there is literally no one and nothing contradicting their terrible opinions.

My conservative grandpa loved to debate and after a few hours I got him to admit that he does not know a single person of colour. For his generation, anecdotal evidence is most important. So despite him thinking that I am too young and naive to truly understand the world, having worked in a classroom where of 27 students, 15 different countries of origin were represented, maybe I had some experience in knowing that immigrants weren’t evil leeches.

Those who have no experience with immigrants and live in lily white neighbourhoods want to control what happens in the cities where most people think it’s not a problem.

It's harder than that. They need to have experiences with people from that group, and enough they can't just chalk it up to tokenism. Anecdotally I know immigrants or children of immigrants who think all this refugee stuff is bullshit.

They figure they are the right kind of immigrant: share canadian values, hard working, and not a leech on the system. They also complain nobody gave them help when they arrived so why should these people?

Testikles fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Aug 4, 2018

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

vyelkin posted:

I happened to be scrolling down the front page of Youtube and this is what I saw

The internet is poison

Did you subscribe?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

vyelkin posted:

The internet is poison

There were so many warning signs going back years showing the right (and far right in particular) was weaponizing the internet, its pretty amazing how we managed to ignore it until it was too late.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009

Furnaceface posted:

There were so many warning signs going back years showing the right (and far right in particular) was weaponizing the internet, its pretty amazing how we managed to ignore it until it was too late.

Loose loving change and the god drat truthers

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

*Buck-twenty-seven a beer, after you cover the higher tariff on cans.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Mulcair's retiring:

CTV posted:

Mulcair resigns as an MP, putting Montreal seat up for grabs
Published Friday, August 3, 2018
OTTAWA – Today is former NDP leader Tom Mulcair's last day as an MP, meaning his Outremont, Que. seat is soon to be up for grabs.

The NDP confirmed Thursday that Mulcair sent his letter of resignation to the Speaker of the House of Commons Geoff Regan on July 21, notifying him that he’d be vacating his seat, effective midnight Aug. 3.
Though retiring from politics, he is set to teach in the political science department at Universite de Montreal, and will appear as a political commentator on CJAD 800 in Montreal, CTV Power Play with Don Martin, and on CTV News Channel.

He's no longer relevant and it's hardly worth mentioning, except to point out he at least has the decency to continue living in the country he tried to lead. Michael Ignatieff is currently living in Turkey and deserves some kind of award for least committed former federal party leader.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Nocturtle posted:

Mulcair's retiring:

He's no longer relevant and it's hardly worth mentioning, except to point out he at least has the decency to continue living in the country he tried to lead. Michael Ignatieff is currently living in Turkey and deserves some kind of award for least committed former federal party leader.

I thought Ignatieff was at CEU in Budapest.

Anyway it's actually pretty great just how correct the Conservative attacks on Iggy were. He really didn't come back for us.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Nocturtle posted:

Mulcair's retiring:

Harper selling us out to the Trump admin has got to be up there, especially with how fast he made that turn around after losing the election.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

ARACHTION posted:

A few pages ago when Toronto goons were freaking out about Dougie halving Toronto municipal representation, some were arguing for Toronto to become its own province. Someone said Berlin was its own province (or German equivalent) and China and Taiwan do it too.

It's possible, it's unlikely, at minimum because it requires something like 2/3rds support from the other provinces and territories. We're a city of 2.7 million people, that would make us the fifth most populous province/territory in Canada right off the bat.

It's not unreasonable for us to want autonomy, and it's worth noting that this is only ever an issue when the province does something egregious.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I'd rather have do something impossibly hard like clearly define municipal powers in the constitution than start balkanizing Canada further tbh

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
It worked out well for them. It was the process of becoming the balkans that was bad

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

Bleusilences posted:

If only there was a way to change the way we elect government so that voters are fairly represented and we don't alternate between two flavors of neoliberalism 🤔

There is a lot of irony in that Kathleen Wynne pulled Zita Astravas from the federal PMO to fix her campaign. And then pull the rug under the NDP because heaven forbid Ontarians could end up liking them.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

vyelkin posted:

I thought Ignatieff was at CEU in Budapest.

Anyway it's actually pretty great just how correct the Conservative attacks on Iggy were. He really didn't come back for us.

So he is, my mistake.

Ignatieff as leader was definitely a low-point for the federal Liberals. They cynically tried to just bring in a fresh party leader without making any substantive change to the party platform or leadership. Fortunately they learned their lesson in 2011 and didn't do exactly the same thing again.

It really is great they lost official party status. I hope the loss of vote subsidy finishes them off, although I remember Ford claiming he was eliminating it anyway.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

As a non-alcoholic beverage drinker I shouldn't have to subsidies your goddamn drinking with taxes so beer only costs you a dollar. Socialized breweries before socialized dental, goddamn.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Whatever keeps the people of Ontario too loaded to find their way to the polling place next election, IMHO.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Hahaha. I can't believe that ends with a 'please drink responsibly'

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
2018 in Ontario is less bread and circuses, more beer and circuses. It's still a circus of course.

Tippecanoe
Jan 26, 2011

Syfe posted:

As a non-alcoholic beverage drinker I shouldn't have to subsidies your goddamn drinking with taxes so beer only costs you a dollar. Socialized breweries before socialized dental, goddamn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgqtBm_oUpc

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Isn't the whole "buck-a-beer" thing just lowering the minimum price (i.e. no one is going to actually charge a dollar except maybe Sol and Laker lager)?

If it's subsidizing, that's monumentally dumb, but if it's just lowering the floor that has almost no effect nowadays anyway I don't really care one way or another. Having minimum alcohol prices is among the weirder nanny-state activities that Canada engages in, and while it's roughly number 8 million on the list of priorities that a premier should care about, I don't see all that many arguments about how it's clearly an obvious good thing to set floors for beer and wine.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Price floors are a decent idea if you believe it is the place of the government to strongly discourage the consumption of substances like alcohol and tobacco -- certainly no worse than any other style of sin tax. Making those products less accessible has been shown to decrease rates of abuse, and instituting price floors rather than some sort of taxation which producers can then manoeuvre around is an effective way of doing it.

Of course, targeting addicts specifically is not a good look, because presumably if they could quit destroying their lives with alcohol or whatever, they would do so. No one's getting hosed up on a bottle of Bright's Pale Dry Select at 10AM because it's a fun and rewarding life choice.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Uh excuse me I am very healthy and this bottle of thunderbird is my favorite morning drink

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

enki42 posted:

Isn't the whole "buck-a-beer" thing just lowering the minimum price (i.e. no one is going to actually charge a dollar except maybe Sol and Laker lager)?

If it's subsidizing, that's monumentally dumb,

DoFo has lowered the minimum price. Now he's looking at "incentives" so brewers sell beer cans/bottles for a dollar - that part is subsidizing.

Mmmm cheap diluted swill

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The beer prices are artificially high in Canada anyways. The brewers shouldn't need any loving help at all. PBR is able to make a profit in the USA selling 30 packs for 14.99 . That same amount of beer in Ontario would be 50 dollars. Beer isn't that expensive to mass produce. Its like cell phone plans and cheese all over again.

Dinosaurtrain
Mar 7, 2018

by R. Guyovich
it's almost as if ontarians are dumb enough to fall for populist gimmicks

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

gently caress this stupid province.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

zapplez posted:

The beer prices are artificially high in Canada anyways. The brewers shouldn't need any loving help at all. PBR is able to make a profit in the USA selling 30 packs for 14.99 . That same amount of beer in Ontario would be 50 dollars. Beer isn't that expensive to mass produce. Its like cell phone plans and cheese all over again.

Yeah and Canadians have proven they're willing to pay that so no company will voluntarily reduce their prices when good old Doug is offering to hand them a bunch of taxpayer money without them even asking for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I still cant state how much it makes me rage when I stop at the duty free and the 60 oz bottle of Alberta Premium Rye is $16 USD there when I have to pay $60 CDN.