Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

Sharkopath posted:

they all friggin suck.
While I'm getting pretty burnt out on the isekai genre myself, there are some enjoyable ones in the bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

theres so much good anime out there that you probably havent seen that i cant imagine watching a show because 'eh, gotta watch something'
It used to be there would generally be like, one or two must see series a year, maybe one per season. Now there's so goddamn much coming out there's probably at least three to four good shows per season.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

RanKizama posted:

While I'm getting pretty burnt out on the isekai genre myself, there are some enjoyable ones in the bunch.
Yeah, like Bakarina, or Accomplishments of the Duke's Daughter

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Yami Shibai says Don't steal umbrellas!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

RanKizama posted:

i keep telling myself this but it's been a longg time since I thought a isekai anime was OK. Do MMOs count?

Beato Believer
May 23, 2009

I believe in Beato.
Even when she's driving.
At night.
In a snowstorm.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hell, I gotta watch SOMETHIN'.

This is how people end up looking at a wall watching the paint dry.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Beato Believer posted:

This is how people end up looking at a wall watching the paint dry.

Or watching video game streams.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Alder posted:

i keep telling myself this but it's been a longg time since I thought a isekai anime was OK. Do MMOs count?

The snake throwing one is pretty fun and the one where the protagonist's super-power is her experience with double-entry bookkeeping is also pretty good, partially because the rest of the cast are actually competent at what they do and better at their own drat jobs than the MC despite her out of setting knowledge.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

The Spider Isekai is getting an anime next year so that will be really good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it may or may not be good because i have no idea how they will adapt 100 chapters of a spider babbling to herself while she kills and eats monsters.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the one to look forward to is slimedad

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I'm gunna do it, I'm gunna watch an anime!

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Here's the only isekai you should be looking forward to:

[I'm]goatse.cx/hello.jpg[/img]

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RanKizama posted:

Konosuba.

An isekai set in a world where almost all of its problems arise from throwing dead Japanese teenagers at the previous problems.

Also, you see why the goddess in charge of the afterlife thinks this will work.

(It is because she is stupid.)

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Knorth posted:

I'm gunna do it, I'm gunna watch an anime!

:same:

Guess I'll continue Shirobako...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

GorfZaplen posted:

Here's the only isekai you should be looking forward to:

[I'm]goatse.cx/hello.jpg[/img]

a hard sell on cells at work

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it may or may not be good because i have no idea how they will adapt 100 chapters of a spider babbling to herself while she kills and eats monsters.
If the manga is any indication it'll be by making her absurdly adorable.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The Iron Wall

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1025917629066702849/pu/vid/640x360/DtaVphxzbgLIQWx9.mp4

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

It's simple, really. Just have her split her personalities so they can talk to each other as she grinds! It's genius!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
That series sucks cuz she just pulls more power from the arbitrary power hole whenever sometyimgs remotely challenging

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dis with no respect for power holes.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Mast Cell..... :3:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DisDisDis posted:

That series sucks cuz she just pulls more power from the arbitrary power hole whenever sometyimgs remotely challenging
Yeah! It's great.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
No it sucks actually. what about that is good.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I'd like an isekai where the op mc really tries to save the world by eliminating slavery, eating the rich, etc. In a few episodes, they would be bigger threat to the authorities than the demon lord or whatever other generic evil the powerful postpone dealing with.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

Tekne posted:

I'd like an isekai where the op mc really tries to save the world by eliminating slavery, eating the rich, etc. In a few episodes, they would be bigger threat to the authorities than the demon lord or whatever other generic evil the powerful postpone dealing with.

I'd watch the hell out of this

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Tekne posted:

That'll be slimedad coming this fall

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

It's going to suck when Netflix finally releases High Score Girl and a bunch of people will disregard it because they think the 3d looks "lovely" because it's such a good show

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
The spider isekai was very good when it was just the spider MC running around, learning about the world mechanics and barely surviving through guerilla warfare because she sucked at direct fighting. It then became extremely bad when it turned into "hmmm, there is this one weird skill that everyone seems to hate, I wonder what happens when I invest skill points into it....Wow, now I have billion HP, million attack, can slow down time, fire disintegration rays from my eyes and I gained a title of Super Ultra Awesome Dark Queen of Mega Annihilation Apocalypse! That sure is convenient!".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Tekne posted:

there's the guardians of the flame series, which are novels from the 80's. i'm not sure how well they hold up, though.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Waci posted:

The snake throwing one is pretty fun and the one where the protagonist's super-power is her experience with double-entry bookkeeping

tell me what this is called

e: wait are these two separate shows

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Konosuba is super good and redeems Isekai imo. Aqua has got to be one of my favorite characters of all time.

To misquote achewood, if whining was playing the piano, Aqua would be a bold and unpredictable new pianist.

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 5, 2018

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

where the red fern gropes posted:

The snake throwing one is Destruction Flag Otome. It’s good, silly fun about a girl who fundamentally misunderstands what sort of isekai she’s in.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Tekne posted:

https://www.novelupdates.com/series/release-that-witch/
https://www.novelupdates.com/series/genjitsushugi-yuusha-no-oukoku-saikenki/

They're rare but they exist.

where the red fern gropes posted:

The bookeeping one is https://mangadex.org/manga/17720/koushaku-reijou-no-tashinami (also originally a web novel but the manga is being translated at a decent rate) which doesn't really qualify for the above list since she's struggling to keep herself alive within the corrupt nobility so far.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 5, 2018

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

reading a 883 chapter web novel sounds like absolute torture

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Davincie posted:

reading a 883 chapter web novel sounds like absolute torture

Sometimes only about half of the chapters have awful translations!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

...because the other half doesn't have any translations at all.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Tekne posted:

Allarion posted:

That'll be slimedad coming this fall
I don't remember any of that happening in the slime isekai..?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Jackard posted:

I don't remember any of that happening in the slime isekai..?

I exaggerate partially, but at the same time allude to stuff that hasn't been scanlated. At the very least they stop slavery and indirectly eat the rich, while also becoming the strongest being in the world

• Locked thread