Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
they've realized that any old crap with the star trek name on it will be moderately successful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

naem
May 29, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

they've realized that any old crap with the star trek name on it will be moderately successful.

I don't see why they don't ever take things a step farther and make "a good show"

THS
Sep 15, 2017

naem posted:

I don't see why they don't ever take things a step farther and make "a good show"

considering the trash that netflix puts out while they throw a dart at anything and give randos production money - im starting to think its actually really hard to make a good tv show. i assume people try and fail?? or osmething

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Moridin920 posted:

same

ST:D has a long way to go to unfuck itself in my mind for name dropping Elon Musk as some kind of human hero. That's an okay start but I remain skeptical. Isn't it set 100 years before TNG?

It is set 10 years before the beginning of the original series. Which seems like a really strange and confined setting since they can't use anything that was discovered by Kirk or anyone later, and they can't themselves discover anything new that turns out to be important unless they also write in why nobody else ever knows about it.

Oh well, maybe Picard will get to have a Horta sidekick.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
God drat Malcolm is such a bitch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Automatic Slim posted:

Apparently Season 2 has a bunch of new writers and a new show runner. That’s a good start. The preview with Pike looks promising, but I don’t see the reason of revisiting Spock.

Stewart promised the new Picard show would be something different. Star Trek is at its best when it honors its past but steps into something new.

Apparently, there will be four Trek series on CBS Access. Discovery, the Picard show, an anthology, and something else.

CBS = CSI network
CBS Access = Star Trek network.

Season 2 looks an awful lot like they realized The Orville ran rings around them in every respect and spent a long night binging on the show while taking notes.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing in ST:D's case.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
P-Stew is 78, how many seasons can this show last??

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

P-Stew is 78, how many seasons can this show last??

He’s British and he has a young wife, so he’s good for at least another 15 years

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Compare a picture of Patrick Stewart to any other former series captain. The man is in better shape than men half his age.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

That's because star trek is that good.

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power
Yea he was old in Dune. I can't see him still being a captain. He's either going to be a retired admiral or professor, pulled from either to negotiate some crises.
I want to see him pull Nechayevs rear end out of the fire and remind her that he has taken down at least 4 other admirals in his time as captain.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
P-Stew hasn't aged a day since 1987. I don't see why he'd start now.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He both is and looks old as poo poo, and despite being bald in 1987 he looked way younger then

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Any 78 year old man would have a tough time helming a major scifi TV series, he's not a god.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

They could always make him the head of a team that does things. That way he can mostly do his stuff from a comfy chair in the studio, and leave away missions to the younger crowd.

Or, as I suggested in the bad thread, a sitcom featuring Bendii Syndrome Sarek and Irumodic Syndrome Picard in a federation retirement home. :v:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Facebook Aunt posted:

They could always make him the head of a team that does things. That way he can mostly do his stuff from a comfy chair in the studio, and leave away missions to the younger crowd.

Or, as I suggested in the bad thread, a sitcom featuring Bendii Syndrome Sarek and Irumodic Syndrome Picard in a federation retirement home. :v:

Maybe he could have mind powers to help out while still sitting in his chair. Oh and make the chair like an advanced techno wheelchair and the younger team all has powers too.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

counterfeitsaint posted:

Maybe he could have mind powers to help out while still sitting in his chair. Oh and make the chair like an advanced techno wheelchair and the younger team all has powers too.

Finally, the film adaptation of The X-Men and Star Trek crossover.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

counterfeitsaint posted:

Alternately: his team can include a grumpy amnesiac Worf.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

I dunno, a series about Ambassador Picard playing alien politics could be really good. Could be really bad, too, depending on how poo poo the political stuff is.

I'd give it a shot, which is more than I can say about STD. Still haven't watched an episode, and not going to start now.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
If not for the fact would die in 4 episodes, a thing I've said before is that I wish Enterprise had been more like Caprica.

Set it more in a window just after First Contact and have it be about EARTH uniting more than us uniting the quadrant. So, something like a sci-fi military, industrial, political drama. You've got every country on Earth trying to rapidly build Cochran Drive ships, you have haphazard (inter)planetary tension due to various Earth factions all with different motives and activities, some early days of human/alien interaction on Earth, the first real attempts at people being forced to literally consider their place in the universe.

A Trek that is a bit more in 'our era' than the TOS era.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
star trek is always kinda bad, it's just a question of whether it's a kind of bad that's kind of good

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

JediTalentAgent posted:

If not for the fact would die in 4 episodes, a thing I've said before is that I wish Enterprise had been more like Caprica.

Set it more in a window just after First Contact and have it be about EARTH uniting more than us uniting the quadrant. So, something like a sci-fi military, industrial, political drama. You've got every country on Earth trying to rapidly build Cochran Drive ships, you have haphazard (inter)planetary tension due to various Earth factions all with different motives and activities, some early days of human/alien interaction on Earth, the first real attempts at people being forced to literally consider their place in the universe.

A Trek that is a bit more in 'our era' than the TOS era.

That was the original idea as proposed. The first season would have been set entirely on earth and delved into the Human-Vulcan sociopolitical situation and the actual construction and prototyping of the NX-01. But then Paramount/UPN (or was it Berman? I can’t remember) came along and demanded that the Enterprise launch by the end of the second act of the pilot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Enterprise and Discovery (and hell, Voyager before it) seem to suffer from 'We want things to be new, fresh and different! No, not like that, it needs to be also exactly the same!' so you end up with interesting ideas being totally squandered to make the show More Like Star Trek.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Disco is nothing like Trek. Maybe S2 will be better, but S1 was a disaster that's Trek in name only. Even the reboot movies are more trek than Disco.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That was the original idea as proposed. The first season would have been set entirely on earth and delved into the Human-Vulcan sociopolitical situation and the actual construction and prototyping of the NX-01. But then Paramount/UPN (or was it Berman? I can’t remember) came along and demanded that the Enterprise launch by the end of the second act of the pilot.

I'd like to see an episode where an Earth company industrial spy steals some tech from the Vulcans and there's a tense stand off of everyone else on the planet goes, "Just give them back their loving space iPod before they blow up our cities!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'd like to see an episode where an Earth company industrial spy steals some tech from the Vulcans and there's a tense stand off of everyone else on the planet goes, "Just give them back their loving space iPod before they blow up our cities!"

Probably one of the reasons Earth got rid of capitalism.

I'd be down for it if it's just flat out the communist revolution.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
You could have worked that a lot of ways.

Maybe something like "Well, The Musk Trust has been going crazy sending overtures to everyone they can on subspace. We've got like 10 trading vessels who will only talk to them, also we have 3 ships from different places that seem to be demanding our planet's unconditional surrender. The UN is going nuts because every nation is responding back with different conditions and now the different invaders don't even know who they're supposed to be talking to."

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I thought Star Trek Beyond was pretty decent Trek. It's not perfect, but it had good camaraderie moments. Having Bones and Spock stuck on the planet while Spock was injured was good, and I liked Jaylah. I'm kind of hoping that she takes Chekov's position now that Yelchin passed away.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I never cared for Beyond. They did get the characters better than previous movies, but the villain was so painfully generic and the plot was just the worst. I can barely remember anything that happened. I know the bad guy used to be Maco but he's not now and he's super upset about things and *shocker* he's got a doomsday weapon! Why it's been literal seconds since I heard that compelling story beat. At least they didn't manage to cram a giant blue laser in the sky into it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I love how the Prophet's vision to Kai Winn at the start of the final stretch of DS9 can be summed up (in retrospect) as "She keeps loving things up for us... let's give her to the Pah-Wraiths so she can gently caress things up for them instead".

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
Did her being terrible cause them to hate her or did them hating her cause her to be terrible? Such things are beyond our comprehension.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think he can be a captain, on a bridge. When you're on the bridge no matter what is going on you pretty much have to be in the shot and you're facing a 12 hour shooting day

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

counterfeitsaint posted:

I never cared for Beyond. They did get the characters better than previous movies, but the villain was so painfully generic and the plot was just the worst. I can barely remember anything that happened. I know the bad guy used to be Maco but he's not now and he's super upset about things and *shocker* he's got a doomsday weapon! Why it's been literal seconds since I heard that compelling story beat. At least they didn't manage to cram a giant blue laser in the sky into it.

Beyond definitely has its issues, but I think the biggest problem is that it was marketed so poorly. Blowing the reveal that Krall was actually Balthazar Edison in one of the pre-release television promos was one of the more stupid mistakes Paramount has made in its long, sordid history of making stupid mistakes regarding Trek. (Of course, getting a guy like Idris Elba and putting him under ten pounds of latex makeup, with most of his dialogue being gibberish, was pretty stupid, too.)

As much as I enjoy it, though, it's a movie where you can tell that the script was rushed in order to meet a production deadline. It's no Star Trek V, where David Loughery literally had a month to write the thing, but there are definitely some holes in Beyond that make you think, "poo poo, maybe if they had another few weeks to think this through..."

The destruction of the Enterprise is still a standout sequence for me, though. Holy gently caress was that visceral.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Remember that time on Voyager where the EMH made a holographic family, and it pissed B'elanna off so much that she changed the program so his family hated him and his daughter died

What the gently caress

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Timby posted:

Beyond definitely has its issues, but I think the biggest problem is that it was marketed so poorly. Blowing the reveal that Krall was actually Balthazar Edison in one of the pre-release television promos was one of the more stupid mistakes Paramount has made in its long, sordid history of making stupid mistakes regarding Trek. (Of course, getting a guy like Idris Elba and putting him under ten pounds of latex makeup, with most of his dialogue being gibberish, was pretty stupid, too.)

As much as I enjoy it, though, it's a movie where you can tell that the script was rushed in order to meet a production deadline. It's no Star Trek V, where David Loughery literally had a month to write the thing, but there are definitely some holes in Beyond that make you think, "poo poo, maybe if they had another few weeks to think this through..."

The destruction of the Enterprise is still a standout sequence for me, though. Holy gently caress was that visceral.

Star Trek V is really memorable though. It has some of the most quotable lines in Star Trek.

Danaru posted:

Remember that time on Voyager where the EMH made a holographic family, and it pissed B'elanna off so much that she changed the program so his family hated him and his daughter died

What the gently caress

That must have been the writer who thought being half- Klingon meant B'elanna was angry all the time. It was a bad look for the character.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
BLT had a point in that episode because the Doctor programmed his family to be basically "Leave it to Beaver" on steroids and that he wasn't getting a realistic family experience.

Then she went off on a tangent because of her own issues with her family, made his wife despise him, made his son a gang member and killed his daughter to make him depressed.

As it stands she is just a gigantic rear end in a top hat that wants to punish someone because they were enjoying themselves but it could have been a really interesting episode if they had followed the premise and explored how realistic families actually work and how sometimes they might be terrible and sometimes might be amazing instead of having a poor hologram tortured by someone that completely kills his desire to have a family ever again.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I love how the Prophet's vision to Kai Winn at the start of the final stretch of DS9 can be summed up (in retrospect) as "She keeps loving things up for us... let's give her to the Pah-Wraiths so she can gently caress things up for them instead".

I thought that she never actually talked to the Prophets, that it was the Pah'wraiths she was always talking to because the Prophets couldn't be arsed to talk to anyone other than the Sisko, especially her?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

EvilTaytoMan posted:

I thought that she never actually talked to the Prophets, that it was the Pah'wraiths she was always talking to because the Prophets couldn't be arsed to talk to anyone other than the Sisko, especially her?

Yeah, basically. Though the Prophets did speak to other people every now and again- hell, Quark outright negotiated with them once. Kira, notably, never did, and never felt the need to.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Tripp and T'Pol finally went to pound town and she immediately pulls a 'Tasha Yar' on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
The original Star Trek and leave space nine are by far the best ones because they’re the ones that are the most funny. I’m really surprised this is never really taken into account, that one of the best things that a piece of media can do is make you laugh. And there’s so many of those episodes have great jokes and great timing, I would like more of that, opportunities to laugh.