Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

karl marx is linking RT articles

hmmm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Miloshe posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia

A guy in my SERE stick somehow managed it. Some radio show also held a contest "Hold Your Wee to Win a Wii" and some poor mother died from it years back, I believe.

I remember that, the radio hosts got in deep poo poo because a nurse called in to warn them and they laughed it off. And yeah she died, poor family.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

hmmm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-45073385

BBC is picking it up too

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

hmmm

I clicked through and either their youtube guy is getting polonium'd shortly or the attack on Maduro was way more serious than they're letting on

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Man, I could've sworn I saw that Nazi punch video years ago.

This news environment, man.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Stop-loss

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

then people should find a legit source instead of linking actual russian propaganda

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Thought that was NationalGuard.jpg?

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Thought that was NationalGuard.jpg?

[Can't it be both?] -Ed: Translated from Spanish

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

https://twitter.com/gawkenn/status/823573676125724676

Technically a parody. Philosophically true.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Vasudus posted:

psh it was only like a mile inland

who needs maps anyway when you've got a lieutenant on the spot

Story time please :allears:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

shame on an IGA posted:

I clicked through and either their youtube guy is getting polonium'd shortly or the attack on Maduro was way more serious than they're letting on

Holy poo poo frieza is involved we're hosed

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1025898909032476672?s=19

:wrong:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Holy poo poo frieza is involved we're hosed

It is in fact the retarded alternate universe Frieza. Which is ideal as we're in the retarded timeline ourselves

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

St. Sherman was from Ohio, so he's right in a roundabout sort of way.

Miloshe
Oct 25, 2009

The little chicken girl wants me to ease up!
He can't handle!
He cries like woman!

As Nero Danced posted:

I remember that, the radio hosts got in deep poo poo because a nurse called in to warn them and they laughed it off. And yeah she died, poor family.

For anyone who cares: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDND

"The Sacramento Bee released audio clips from the morning show indicating that the disc jockeys were aware of the death of Matthew Carrington by water intoxication.[8] At one point, a caller contacted the station and informed the DJs that the contest could be dangerous and potentially fatal.[9] The DJs responded by saying, "We're aware of that," and joked that the contestants had signed releases and couldn't file a lawsuit. "

Narrator voice: "They could."

"On October 29, 2009, after a week of deliberations, the jury awarded the survivors of Jennifer Strange the sum of $16,577,118 in monetary damages."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Casimir Radon posted:

So was St. U.S. Grant.

Ohio used to be A Good State.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Aug 5, 2018

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Story time please :allears:

Vasudus posted:

Being an Engineer on the Iraq/Syria border means a lot of border construction. We had a huge, huge AO and we were responsible for building a 15 foot berm between Iraq/Syria to prevent smugglers, allegedly. Since being inside dozers and ACEs in 120 degree heat is an excuse to have heat casualties, most of the work we would do was at dusk into the night.

So we're out building a berm at a new site at like 0200 and something isn't right. The paper maps had us right were we were supposed to be. The FBCB2 had us about a mile on the wrong side of the border. My XO, believing himself to be the second coming of Patton himself, said that we were fine and to continue on mission. This was his project, after all.

About 0230 rolls around and my gunner says

'uh...SGT Vasudus, a BMP is the wheeled ruskie APC right?'
'...no, why?'
'so what's wheeled with a 50 on it?'
'...that's a BRDM...are you studying for the board or something?'
'see those lights way out to the west? like 50 of those BRDM things are coming right for us'

Welp.

I immediately hop up there and look down the nightvision scope to see what the christ he was talking about. Sure as poo poo, there was a huge fuckoff wheeled and light track force heading for us at high speed. At least two whole company+ sized elements.

I tell my XO that we're on the wrong side of the border and the Syrians aren't very happy about it. He says they're wrong and we'll be fine, and he's gonna call in some air support to scare them off. He relays his coordinates and my TOC informs him that the FBCB2 is correct.

XO comes screaming over the radio 'PACK YOUR poo poo! PACK YOUR poo poo! WE'RE ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE BORDER'

So we quickly left this half finished berm project and immediately left the area back to Iraq.

I posted this in 2012. The event itself happened in 2005 long before any of the ISIS shenanigans. Said LT is now a civilian high up in the Pepsi corporation that his daddy got him a job.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nice and hot piss posted:

Hyponatremia due to severe dillution of your vascular system dropping your sodium level to less than normal variations.

It's actually a pretty dangerous condition that can lead to death, and requires a slow process of returning the sodium level to normal values or you run the risk of osmotic dymelination syndrome.

That's my nursing tip for you all today, tomorrow is free rectal exams

Yepper, your Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone process gets hosed up. Too much water means no renin regulation which means no sodium regulation which means (hypo?/per?i think per in this case)tensive crisis.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I think it's hypotensive. Hypertensive is high blood pressure.

Actually low blood sodium is Hyponatremia.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Vasudus posted:

I posted this in 2012. The event itself happened in 2005 long before any of the ISIS shenanigans. Said LT is now a civilian high up in the Pepsi corporation that his daddy got him a job.

Lol that's gold. How in the hell would a berm stop smugglers anyway :psyduck:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Casimir Radon posted:

And LeBron.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

It largely wouldn't, it was mostly window dressing and keeping people from just straight up walking over. Our solution has always been to just pop a tank nearby and have thermals spot them way out. But we didn't really have the equipment to spare, and we needed something that the Iraqis could do presumably if we left.

The borders there are a goddamn nightmare of crisscrossing rocks, streams, and crevices that the maps do not do proper justice. So it was also trying to standardize the concept of 'hey dipshits, use the border checkpoint'.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

I mean it could work in the same way a wall would, but only if backed by like a shitload of people manning sensors, drones, and the vehicle checkpoints everyone would get funneled to.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

It is in fact the retarded alternate universe Frieza. Which is ideal as we're in the retarded timeline ourselves

God drat I missed that it was Frost, the worst frieza

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

BBC video of the Maduro event:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-latin-america-45073420/venezuela-drone-attack-soldiers-seen-running

Definitely doesn't seem to have affected Maduro or the folks on stage, but it spooked the crap out of the troops standing at review.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

If only it worked.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Yessssss

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Terrifying Effigies posted:

BBC video of the Maduro event:

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-latin-america-45073420/venezuela-drone-attack-soldiers-seen-running

Definitely doesn't seem to have affected Maduro or the folks on stage, but it spooked the crap out of the troops standing at review.

He blamed the attack on Colombia lol

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Yes Maduro, go to war with the most well funded and best equipped military in South America. That'll work out well for you.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
maybe theyll spend the next 17 years fighting another country. how stupid would that be

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Proud Christian Mom posted:

maybe theyll spend the next 17 years fighting another country. how stupid would that be

Going to war for nearly two decades unironically owns

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

EBB posted:

Yepper, your Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone process gets hosed up. Too much water means no renin regulation which means no sodium regulation which means (hypo?/per?i think per in this case)tensive crisis.

Your blood pressure really doesn't get directly affected with hyponatremia solely on the issue of low sodium. What you worry about with hyponatremia on a physiological level is the change in osmolarity within the vascular system. As solutes *I.E sodium* leaves the body, water begins to extract from your vascular system and infiltrate cells and most importantly, the brain. Since the brain of course is in a very finite space, you begin to have significant neurological complications associated with cerebral edema/herniation which is the biggest fear factor when dealing with cases of hyponatremia.

Blood pressure usually isn't directly correlated with hyponatremia itself but usually associated with the main reason why they became hyponatremic in the first place. Things such as burns, SIADH, persistent vomiting or diuretic abuse will cause a secondary hyponatremia on top of a hypovolemic state. There are reasons that cause people to stay in a "hydrated" state or hyperhydrated state that still causes hyponatremia and really the only thing you're battling as a provider is just correcting their NA value on the lab chart.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Vasudus posted:

I had forgotten this, you invaded Syria, holy poo poo!

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.1922c8be275c

Putin's troll game is still on point. Russia names Steven Seagal a special envoy to the United States.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bird food bathtub posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.1922c8be275c

Putin's troll game is still on point. Russia names Steven Seagal a special envoy to the United States.

:lol:

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Casimir Radon posted:

Almost 10 years ago.

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

Yeah they've been Academi for a hot minute

Huh, did not know. I mean, if it's good enough for comcast...

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1026059397519290370?s=19

This seems crazy to me. Also didn't know other people did it before him

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/CBCAlerts/status/1026059397519290370?s=19

This seems crazy to me. Also didn't know other people did it before him

Looks like the beginning of the Ohio refugee crisis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

It's been going since Apollo 13

• Locked thread