Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Are you guys getting all hosed up on children's books again, jesus christ we've been over this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

post-escalator, the two american political parties are defined by a split between morons obsessed with childrens books and nazis obsessed with childrens cartoons

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You know, I'm still surprised they didn't make a Harry Potter animated series.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Shear Modulus posted:

post-escalator, the two american political parties are defined by a split between morons obsessed with childrens books and nazis obsessed with childrens cartoons

Just going to point out hentai is cartoons featuring children not children's cartoons

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Crane Fist posted:

Are you guys getting all hosed up on children's books again, jesus christ we've been over this

Animorphs are actual fuckin cool and dealt with actual things that happen in war and the ending is actually super lovely even tho the space Nazis get beaten on Earth

More kids books need to be like yeah good job you won exactly one fight, universe still sucks, get used to it

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

finally, an event for all those racists still looking for a black friend

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Animorphs are actual fuckin cool and dealt with actual things that happen in war and the ending is actually super lovely even tho the space Nazis get beaten on Earth

More kids books need to be like yeah good job you won exactly one fight, universe still sucks, get used to it

Animorphs is a bit of an odd duck given how long ago and how differently it came out; basically there's a shitload of books, a lot of them are ghostwritten and basically filler, and probably tonally all over the place, but they handle violence and death in a way closer to like, Hunger Games than Harry Potter.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Animorphs is a bit of an odd duck given how long ago and how differently it came out; basically there's a shitload of books, a lot of them are ghostwritten and basically filler, and probably tonally all over the place, but they handle violence and death in a way closer to like, Hunger Games than Harry Potter.

I think it works out to being exactly half of the main books that are ghostwritten, I'm kind of interested to go back and figure out what of the post-David pre-final arc books you could cut out without losing any of the major plot stuff

I'm not gonna reread thirty children's books I say as I hide my phone

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I think it works out to being exactly half of the main books that are ghostwritten, I'm kind of interested to go back and figure out what of the post-David pre-final arc books you could cut out without losing any of the major plot stuff

I'm not gonna reread thirty children's books I say as I hide my phone

IIRC most of them are really short. Harry Potter changed the game iirc by showing kids would be happy to read long books. (didn't Narnia already prove that?)

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC most of them are really short. Harry Potter changed the game iirc by showing kids would be happy to read long books. (didn't Narnia already prove that?)

Nah Narnia isn't much longer than an animorphs book

And yeah they're all 150-200 pages

According to wiki 26 of the 54 main books were ghost written, and all of the side books were written by Applegate, so this actually wouldn't be that dumb of a thing to examine, or take that long if I just wanted to do those ghost written ones

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

https://www.theonion.com/the-onion-reviews-christopher-robin-1828056997

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Nah Narnia isn't much longer than an animorphs book

And yeah they're all 150-200 pages

According to wiki 26 of the 54 main books were ghost written, and all of the side books were written by Applegate, so this actually wouldn't be that dumb of a thing to examine, or take that long if I just wanted to do those ghost written ones

gently caress, really? narnia is that short. i have to read through them again someday. they were ok at times.

Dapper_Swindler has issued a correction as of 02:41 on Aug 4, 2018

SgtMongoose
Feb 10, 2007

the bitcoin of weed posted:

turns out a lot of (white) latinos are FYGM shitheads who think they'll be excluded from the camps because they pass the paper bag test and their particular immigration method was technically legal whenever they arrived, and they're probably right. minorities aren't a monolith especially one as diverse as latinos

I see the redefinition of Latinos to White (like most immigrant groups before them) is well underway.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dapper_Swindler posted:

gently caress, really? narnia is that short. i have to read through them again someday. they were ok at times.

They got super hard to read once I realized how insanely Christian they are and how hosed up it is that the Pevensie kids just straight up cut their sister out for deciding she wants to gently caress and now she can't go to heaven

So sometime around the time I was ten

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/CIA/status/1025051074028351488

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

They got super hard to read once I realized how insanely Christian they are and how hosed up it is that the Pevensie kids just straight up cut their sister out for deciding she wants to gently caress and now she can't go to heaven

i thought it was more implied she wasn't on the train but yeah it gets eyerolling a ton. that being said the BBC shows are funny.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i thought it was more implied she wasn't on the train but yeah it gets eyerolling a ton. that being said the BBC shows are funny.

No that's later when they all go to Super Heaven and it's explicitly stated

When the Peavensies et al first appear someone's like hey where's Susan and they talk about how she doesn't believe in Narnia anymore and she's more interested in make up and boys

Last Battle or w/e is a super weird fuckin book, it's literally Revelation for kids but weirder, like the end of the book is the loving rapture

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gee I wonder why people got so bad when I said black panther was imperialist whitewashing to cover up the CIA’s crimes against humanity in Africa

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The white sidekick being a loving agency goon is incredibly ftw

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

I was like eight when I read... was it book five?... where they got trapped underground and there was a twenty-page argument where the bad guy tried to get them to not believe in the Sun because they couldn't see it.

I didn't get that the whole thing was a very overwrought metaphor for denying the obvious existence of the one true god etcetc so I was really confused why this stupid conversation kept going and what the point of it was and wondering when they'd get back to the action.

that's my contribution :shobon:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I was like eight when I read... was it book five?... where they got trapped underground and there was a twenty-page argument where the bad guy tried to get them to not believe in the Sun because they couldn't see it.

I didn't get that the whole thing was a very overwrought metaphor for denying the obvious existence of the one true god etcetc so I was really confused why this stupid conversation kept going and what the point of it was and wondering when they'd get back to the action.

Lmao that rules

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

No that's later when they all go to Super Heaven and it's explicitly stated

When the Peavensies et al first appear someone's like hey where's Susan and they talk about how she doesn't believe in Narnia anymore and she's more interested in make up and boys

Last Battle or w/e is a super weird fuckin book, it's literally Revelation for kids but weirder, like the end of the book is the loving rapture

sounds about right. i just remember when aslan fucks with the atheist dwarf for fun. i'll take tolkien and even "purge the filth" redwall books of cs lewis. lewis is boring because unlike his friend JRR, he doesn't do world building, outside the "time moves faster".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

yeah, thats why it gets boring and bad, lion, witch and wardrobe is somehow the least aligorical and the most fun read. also the family is full of weirdly dickish kids. Eustace is unrealistically amusingly lovely.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'll never forgive cs lewis for dragging tolkein's damaged soul back into the demiurge's infernal grip

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Taintrunner posted:

gee I wonder why people got so bad when I said black panther was imperialist whitewashing to cover up the CIA’s crimes against humanity in Africa

remember this?
http://fortune.com/2017/10/07/marvel-comics-cancels-northrop-grumman-avengers-crossover/

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, thats why it gets boring and bad, lion, witch and wardrobe is somehow the least aligorical and the most fun read. also the family is full of weirdly dickish kids. Eustace is unrealistically amusingly lovely.
Voyage of the Dawn Treader was the other one I really enjoyed, but maybe I just forgot all the weird Christian bullshit in favor of just remembering the solid travelogue story without any real antagonists.

(...wikipedia says that yep, there's like three heavily Christian scenes including one where Aslan straight up says he's known by another name in their world.)

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

I enjoy laughing at corporations swooping in like vultures at viral tweets with "witty" replies, trying to be quirky and woke, and failing miserably

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Man, Black Panther was such a mess on so many levels. The CIA goon, the fact that they are an advanced nation that still has combat to determine a leader (certainly no racist implications here, no sirree) and that they go to the UN to teach the world about unity despite having a civil war about a minute and a half previously. Oh, and Killmonger did nothing wrong.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

cenotaph posted:

the fact that they are an advanced nation that still has combat to determine a leader (certainly no racist implications here, no sirree)

This is actually cool.

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Fred Clark (Slacktivist over at Patheos, the guy who was doing a page-by-page critique of the Left Behind books for a while) had a more nuanced take on the scene.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2011/03/07/tf-proof-and-madness-2/

tl;dr: the takeaway even if the sun is gone and darkness reigns, good is inherently worth pursuing even if there is little or no chance of success.

Given the increasing frequency with which we're told to be pragmatic and accept that good things just aren't possible so we should shut up about them...

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1025917276862722049

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
this better end with a colonel mustard joke

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

wow...first john kerry stole valor and now his wife

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Stolen vinegar

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Voyage of the Dawn Treader was the other one I really enjoyed, but maybe I just forgot all the weird Christian bullshit in favor of just remembering the solid travelogue story without any real antagonists.

(...wikipedia says that yep, there's like three heavily Christian scenes including one where Aslan straight up says he's known by another name in their world.)

i was honestly never the biggest fan because i read tolkien first and i fell deeply in love with world building and so most other poo poo i like usualy has a ton of world building. and narnia is loving terrible when it comes to that because everything is in service of his apologetic bullshit. sometimes it works ok but Christ a lot of it is terrible.

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009

cenotaph posted:

Man, Black Panther was such a mess on so many levels. The CIA goon, the fact that they are an advanced nation that still has combat to determine a leader (certainly no racist implications here, no sirree) and that they go to the UN to teach the world about unity despite having a civil war about a minute and a half previously. Oh, and Killmonger did nothing wrong.

Killmonger zigged when he should have zagged.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

I read a lot in TGRS about how Killmonger is obviously terrible and villainous because of the way he treats women or something. But then I watched the movie and it’s clear he was not wrong.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

the mcu is a children's fantasy environment that has divinely inspired half-animals and strongmen fighting robots, aliens and the undead to stabilize the universe's supply of magic

applying real-world ethics to its actors because they film it in nyc (and hong kong!!!) is a waste of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
agreed so Disney should stop trying to run ads for the Obama Foundation as the post credit scene