Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Has there ever been a "strongman" leader who isn't just a giant baby with an army at his command?

Most of them are like that tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Has there ever been a "strongman" leader who isn't just a giant baby with an army at his command?

I mean, the whole point of being a strongman is that your position is so unchallenged that you can just let your inner child rampage.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

caeser seemed really pragmatic for a dictator, I think

but then it didn't take more than a couple generations for that trait to slip away

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Mr. Lobe posted:

but then it didn't take more than a couple generations for that trait to slip away

Well, it didn't work out well for the original Caesar, now did it?

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Do yourself a favor and read that Caesar book by Michael Parenti, dude.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Mr. Lobe posted:

He murdered everyone who described him otherwise, and anybody'd seem good when Caligula is a followup act in living memory, hth

e; oh wait julius caesar. yeah, no. augustus: sure, a little. julius? absolute clown.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 4, 2018

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Chiang Kai-Shek, may his name never die.

Also Tito.

if you attempt to disabuse me of either of these I will appreciate the information but totally ignore its impact on my proposition

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ultramega posted:

Do yourself a favor and read that Caesar book by Michael Parenti, dude.

yeah dude was shanked by the one percenters.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Good turnout for the anti-nationality law protests in Tel Aviv. Lots more around the country.

https://twitter.com/Elizrael/status/1025806282614349824

https://twitter.com/MaarivOnline/status/1025770893421830145

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Chiang Kai-Shek, may his name never die.

Also Tito.

if you attempt to disabuse me of either of these I will appreciate the information but totally ignore its impact on my proposition

Tito was good but Chiang was kindof an incompetent baby

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Willie Tomg posted:

He murdered everyone who described him otherwise
You were thinking of Augustus to begin with. Julius has a fetish for pardoning enemies.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xander77 posted:

You were thinking of Augustus to begin with. Julius has a fetish for pardoning enemies.

Yet the esteemed senators call him vengeful, and they are all honorable men.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/simonerzim/status/1026188010541510656

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/AldermanGeo/status/1026190890170245120

Lol at the spectrum dipshit.

https://twitter.com/AldermanGeo/status/1024739798043557889

I'll never get over how loving insensitive zionists can be.

Ultramega fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 5, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Ultramega posted:

https://twitter.com/AldermanGeo/status/1026190890170245120

Lol at the spectrum dipshit.

https://twitter.com/AldermanGeo/status/1024739798043557889

I'll never get over how loving insensitive zionists can be.

Ethnic cleansing doesn't count if there exists land anywhere that this ethnicity still has some claim to. That is how it works. :madmax:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/trashselim/status/1026218752961142785

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
The last 12 hours have been about the biggest back and forth between Israeli and Hamas forces in recent years. Feels like the sort of thing that could easily escalate into thousands dead.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Volkerball posted:

The last 12 hours have been about the biggest back and forth between Israeli and Hamas forces in recent years. Feels like the sort of thing that could easily escalate into thousands (of Palestinians) dead.

Think you missed a bit.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/1027560519996252160

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm just watching the news, if anyone is confused about how things are conveyed to the Israeli citizens:

Things sure are getting heated down south, many people have been disturbed, here are some pictures of minor property damage in Israel, here are some videos of massive bombings in Gaza, mayor of Be'er-Sheva calling for peace on both sides, the game against Nikosia will commence as planned.

You may note absolutely no criticism of the government or the IDF nor any reports about Palestinian casualties.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Goddamn, the newsreader just quipped "So everything is normal in Gaza but not in the Israeli settlements nearby"
Which is technically true but completely awful.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Think you missed a bit.

Goes without saying here I think.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I give up

https://twitter.com/benabyad/status/1027456223262793729?s=21

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Calling air strikes after the recipients rather than the senders sure is a creative way of masking war crimes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

I think this'll be my go to response if I ever encounter any Israel defenders in the wild.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

icantfindaname posted:

Tito was good but Chiang was kindof an incompetent baby

I think you mean sabotaged by unpatriotic warlord scum and the international communist conspiracy

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I made the mistake of briefly listening to NPR on the way home and was treated to a spot about how some Palestinians "died in a clash between protesters and the Israeli military" that made sure to mention a grenade (and rocks!!!) allegedly being thrown by protesters at some point. In HAMAS-RULED(!!!) Gaza! It's like it went out of its way to detail every remote possibility of Palestinian-caused violence, while using language divorcing any sort of intent or fault from the violence of the IDF.

NPR offends me because it's at least as awful as most other media but somehow retains a reputation as somehow being good among many people.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ytlaya posted:

So I made the mistake of briefly listening to NPR on the way home and was treated to a spot about how some Palestinians "died in a clash between protesters and the Israeli military" that made sure to mention a grenade (and rocks!!!) allegedly being thrown by protesters at some point. In HAMAS-RULED(!!!) Gaza! It's like it went out of its way to detail every remote possibility of Palestinian-caused violence, while using language divorcing any sort of intent or fault from the violence of the IDF.

NPR offends me because it's at least as awful as most other media but somehow retains a reputation as somehow being good among many people.
My understanding is that NPR has really gone off the rails with political stuff in the last 5 or so years

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
There may finally be a Palestinian Congresswoman soon, so maybe finally the Overton window can start sliding along.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Much like how the one Arab MK in the Knesset has moved the Overton window.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Ultramega posted:

Much like how the one Arab MK in the Knesset has moved the Overton window.

Fourteen, and, yes, things would probably be worse if there were none at all, hard as it is to believe.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I honestly only thought it was Ayman Odeh and that's it. drat.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ultramega posted:

I honestly only thought it was Ayman Odeh and that's it. drat.

Not only is there the Joint List, which Ayman Odeh leads, and is Arab majority (12 Arab, 1 Jew), there are also Arabs in other, Jewish-majority parties, including right-wing ones (I've bolded those in the leading coalition): Likud has a one, Zionist Camp has two (one of whom is resigning as a response to the Nationality Law), Kulanu has one, Yisrael Beitenu has one, and Meretz has one. That's 18(17)/120. Still below the 20% they are of the general population, but not as bad as, say, the representation of women.

And yet the Nationality Law passed, and I think there is pressure on the Joint List to resign en masse in protest.

There's a big protest against the Nationality Law this evening, with Meretz the only Zionist party likely to show up in any numbers.

Edit: Look where I found coverage of this protest!

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Aug 12, 2018

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
I think there is a meaningful difference, both in popular perception and in actual relations with the government, between the Druze community and "regular" Israeli Arabs. The Nationality Law is the first time I can remember that there was this much conflict between the Druze community and the government, with Druze MPs and IDF officers protesting against it. There is even talk of having some sort of law to enshrine the special status of the Druze minority in Israel.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

not as bad as, say, the representation of women.

This isn't really a uniquely Israeli problem. If anything, this is an almost universal function of "traditional" gender roles where politics and leadership were reserved to men, so women in current western politics tend to be younger, and we all know that old people tend to cling to power for as long as they can. For example, there are currently 104 congresswomen in the U.S. House of Representative (19.4%), and 34 women MKs in the Knesset (28.3%).

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

This isn't really a uniquely Israeli problem. If anything, this is an almost universal function of "traditional" gender roles where politics and leadership were reserved to men, so women in current western politics tend to be younger, and we all know that old people tend to cling to power for as long as they can. For example, there are currently 104 congresswomen in the U.S. House of Representative (19.4%), and 34 women MKs in the Knesset (28.3%).

It's unevenly applied in Israel, though, as the haredi parties outright prohibit women from running.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Main Paineframe posted:

It's unevenly applied in Israel, though, as the haredi parties outright prohibit women from running.

The haredim's influence on government and society is a whole other issue on its own. Though that makes me wonder what the hell is going on in the U.S. that women's representation is even worse.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

The haredim's influence on government and society is a whole other issue on its own. Though that makes me wonder what the hell is going on in the U.S. that women's representation is even worse.

i suspect it's connected to the fact that it's a dog poo poo country

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
The political systems are very different, presidential vs. parliamentary. That means that in the USA, all the reactionaries get to share the same party (which then has to cater to all of them at the same time) while in Israel, each particular strand of bigotry get its own party and then they make a big coalition of regression.

http://www.cawp.rutgers.edu/women-us-congress-2018

quote:

23 (17D, 6R) women currently serving in the U.S. Senate

84 women from 33 states serve in the U.S. House of Representatives.
61 Democrats
23 Republicans

Is anyone surprised by these statistics?

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

XMNN posted:

i suspect it's connected to the fact that it's a dog poo poo country

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscardus
Jun 1, 2011

Thus equipped by fortune, physique, and character, he was naturally indomitable, and subordinate to no one in the world.

It's not uniquely Israeli, but it is worth noting that electoral systems can have a huge impact, and this actually makes the Israeli example a little more egregious than it looks at first glance. The US and other first-past-the-post countries (UK, Canada, etc.) tend to struggle more with political representation for women due to the way candidates are selected and then run for election. The underlying sexism is still there, of course, but it's worsened by the nature of the process. Party list systems, on the other hand, tend to make it easier for women to be represented, because the party can just decide to include a certain percentage of women (or even mandate a 50/50 split in some cases).

A comparison to a FPTP country is thus always going to flatter Israel. It's more appropriate to compare it to other party list systems. Most European party list countries manage at least 33%. It says a lot about Israel (or more specifically about the parties that are popular in Israel) that they can't even manage that.