Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Empress Brosephine posted:

I restarted with olberic as my main instead of haanit . Game is much better now but I die a lot more lol.

Should I really ever be buffing myself as olberic or leave it to others? Right now he’s a apothecary but I don’t know if that’s the best choice.

Bluffs and debuffs in this game are huge and always hit. Yes use them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

Empress Brosephine posted:

I restarted with olberic as my main instead of haanit . Game is much better now but I die a lot more lol.

Should I really ever be buffing myself as olberic or leave it to others? Right now he’s a apothecary but I don’t know if that’s the best choice.

I only ever used Level Slash and Cross Strike early on because it wrecked everything, so his job never mattered to me until Warmaster. I wouldn't waste turns buffing himself, let others buff him and debuff enemies.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bombadilillo posted:

The divine skills not working on other divine skills is the games break limit. It is very aware of these cheese combinations.

To be fair, if you could double cast the warmaster divine skill that would be pretty ridiculous. Sure, you can doublecast sorcerer spells that've been buffed to higher (single target) damage but at least that takes multiple divine skills to do so it's sorta balanced out by that and the fact that you'd have to have BP being fed to make use of it.

Bombadilillo posted:

Yeah. Had cyrus doin some sorcerer breaking and damage, but I might switch him out with alf sorcerer to BP battery and occasion elemental debuff.

First time I wish I could swap out therion from the part all game. I could go finish his chp4 but I trying to get the advance jobs before i start 4s

Therion is more than good enough for all 4 advanced job bosses even when your party is underleveled. :colbert:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Therion is more than good enough for all 4 advanced job bosses even when your party is underleveled. :colbert:

I want the concoct skill though! That's all I mean. Therion still best boi.

Update: did without switching parties. Archmagus and starseer down. Who's next? Holy poo poo cyrus is powerful with sorcerer

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 4, 2018

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

OK, I think I'm stumped. I'm still fairly new to this game and obviously not playing optimally. I started with Tressa (natch), picked up Cyrus, and now I'm doing Ophilia. I'm having some serious problems with Ophilia's Chapter 1 boss for some reason. I can't kill it before it summons the three little dudes who set the clock ticking down to three more turns, and then I can't kill those little fuckers before they explode and wipe my party. I've tried twice and gotten Game Over both times. Idk what I'm doing wrong. I'm using attacks that are strong against all of them, but obviously not strong enough. How much HP does the main dude have? Can you even kill it before the second stage?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Lobster posted:

OK, I think I'm stumped. I'm still fairly new to this game and obviously not playing optimally. I started with Tressa (natch), picked up Cyrus, and now I'm doing Ophilia. I'm having some serious problems with Ophilia's Chapter 1 boss for some reason. I can't kill it before it summons the three little dudes who set the clock ticking down to three more turns, and then I can't kill those little fuckers before they explode and wipe my party. I've tried twice and gotten Game Over both times. Idk what I'm doing wrong. I'm using attacks that are strong against all of them, but obviously not strong enough. How much HP does the main dude have? Can you even kill it before the second stage?

Are you using Ophilia's summon ability? Get a townperson who knows Call Winds and make sure they're up whenever the adds are and the fight should be a doddle

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

multijoe posted:

Are you using Ophilia's summon ability? Get a townperson who knows Call Winds and make sure they're up whenever the adds are and the fight should be a doddle

OK. The Townsperson she's been summoning sucks so that definitely is probably part of the problem.

Edit: Yeah, that did the trick, and super fast, too!

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 4, 2018

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

What exactly am I missing in regard to the optional boss in quicksand caves? I tried it at around level 40, and now at around level 53, and it is always the same.

Fight starts, snake goes first or second, casts sleep on my whole party, and ten seconds later I am dead.

I tried the fight about ten times now, it it's ALWAYS snake first or second plus sleep for my complete party.

I red things about never having both of them active at the same time, but I can't even reach third turn?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Do you have a sleep prevention accessory? If so, you can put that on a Hunter and use Leghold Trap to get some breathing room.

Or put it on Alfyn and Concoct a sleep heal for the team.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

tuo posted:

What exactly am I missing in regard to the optional boss in quicksand caves? I tried it at around level 40, and now at around level 53, and it is always the same.

Fight starts, snake goes first or second, casts sleep on my whole party, and ten seconds later I am dead.

I tried the fight about ten times now, it it's ALWAYS snake first or second plus sleep for my complete party.

I red things about never having both of them active at the same time, but I can't even reach third turn?

Survive the rng to sleep. Leghold trap.

Once you get past that first round of sleep you can break him pretty easy if snake goes last. The guy just bids the snake you are about to break half the time but I killed him first anyhow.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 4, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Runemaster down. I couldnt one shot even with the cleric/scholar boosting sorcerer damage. But with some judicious leghold trapping was able to keep broken from yellow to the end.

Holy poo poo. Warmaster cannot handle sidestep. Didnt get hit. Lol

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 4, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

YUP

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bombadilillo posted:

Runemaster down. I couldnt one shot even with the cleric/scholar boosting sorcerer damage. But with some judicious leghold trapping was able to keep broken from yellow to the end.

Runelord can't handle sidestep either. The first half of the fight can be taken care of by Olberic and Tressa swapping tank duties, or just one of them doing it if you want to have someone else (alfyn) feeding BP often. Therion/Alfyn/Olberic/Tressa can manhandle Runelord, and if you have sufficient money on hand you can do so even at very low levels thanks to merchant summon damage being its own thing (which is good early on, not so good once people are geared and higher levels).

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Runelord can't handle sidestep either. The first half of the fight can be taken care of by Olberic and Tressa swapping tank duties, or just one of them doing it if you want to have someone else (alfyn) feeding BP often. Therion/Alfyn/Olberic/Tressa can manhandle Runelord, and if you have sufficient money on hand you can do so even at very low levels thanks to merchant summon damage being its own thing (which is good early on, not so good once people are geared and higher levels).

Cant rune sidestep everyone before you kill runemasrer though!

Cleric divine on sorcerer let me break runemaster pretty easily after legtrap. Then you just have to survive the first attacks after a break

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Cleric divine on sorcerer let me break runemaster pretty easily after legtrap. Then you just have to survive the first attacks after a break

True, but you can Incite/Sidestep while Runemaster is doing single target attacks.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

True, but you can Incite/Sidestep while Runemaster is doing single target attacks.

I was healing past those fine, until the swipes started. Offense was the best defense and cyrus sorcerer with cleric backup is break king (and damage king).

Got all the jobs time to finish chp3s with something to do with all this jp!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
In case anyone's going for completing all side quests, (:siren: SPOILERS :siren:) I sorted the side quests by area so that it's easier to figure out which ones you might be missing, since the spreadsheet's got the post C4 ones in a random order and there's a couple that are counted in one area despite initiating in a different one.

Also the side quests own and are nice if only for world building and the occasional bit of lore. It's kinda cool there's one mini-quest line per area, showing other travelers on their own adventures and kinda throwing some hooks for potential sequels.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Aug 4, 2018

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I love having Patience, Second Serving and Eye for an Eye on Olberic in duels. He just vomits damage.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
What place gives the best xp end game for leveling up the B team?

And are there only battle-tested weapons and shield or are there also headgear and armor? Not sure if it's worth the grind to get some of them, although the shield is pretty awesome.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Shyfted One posted:

What place gives the best xp end game for leveling up the B team?

https://www.reddit.com/r/octopathtraveler/comments/91v4ql/a_guide_to_optimized_endgame_grinding/

quote:

And are there only battle-tested weapons and shield or are there also headgear and armor? Not sure if it's worth the grind to get some of them, although the shield is pretty awesome.

No headgear/armor. You can buy/steal one of each from certain NPCs, I'd just personally do that and not bother grinding Challenge fights for more since the drop rates are bad.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Thanks.

I already did grind out a second shield and staff because I wanted something mindless to do after finishing up so many quests.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

4 jobs get! Warmaster was a breeze when I had Tressa with Transfer Rune.

"Please help me find my daughter. Her name is Ellie"

gently caress YOU OLD MAN

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Bombadilillo posted:

You don't need to rune sidestep everyone, you have a warrior/merchant sidestep+taunt tank the Runelord. Guard break it once AOE is about to become a threat and then nuke them down with the power of money and/or divine skills.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is it possible to win the forced duel with Erhardt at the end of chapter 3?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Detective No. 27 posted:

You can lose....?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

You lost?!?!?!?!?!?

What happens...?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
:psyboom:
HOW?!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Hes...vulnerable to swords...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I should probably get around to playing this and seeing if the game is less boring with 3+ characters, huh

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I should probably get around to playing this and seeing if the game is less boring with 3+ characters, huh

Did you just try the demo? It's real good.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Relax guys. I didn't lose. I'm in the middle of the fight and was wondering. You know how some JRPGs will put you in an unwinnable story fight. Was wondering if it was one of those times.

My Olberic is pretty underleveled though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Unless you speed rush it, it's relatively hard to get good time with 3 characters on the demo.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lol he killed me.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Lol he killed me.

Was hoping for a cool alternate story angle.if you lose. Red screen of death?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Just give Obero Second Serving and heal during the break.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Was hoping for a cool alternate story angle.if you lose. Red screen of death?

Yup. And since I didn't realize it would lock me into the duel, I gotta redo the lizard boss fight. I wish I knew to save.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

It should be pretty hard to lose that fight, I was kinda underleveled too and it just took a while. Put Abide on with your first BP or two and keep it on, and then just whack him till he breaks and then full-boost Cross Strike (or Divine, if you have it - I didn't). You have full access to your items, so just eat a grape when you need to, since he doesn't hit that hard.

It also seems good to stack Evasion on him for Challenge fights, since it's 1-on-1 and they use a lot of physical attacks most of the time.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Is there a guide where I can find strategies for the second tier bosses all in one place?

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Bean posted:

Is there a guide where I can find strategies for the second tier bosses all in one place?

Hit them until they die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I was worried about my b team having less jp than my a team for the final stretch.

It is no longer an issue.