Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will be the champs?
This poll is closed.
Dillashaw, Johnson 35 52.24%
Garbrandt, Johnson 24 35.82%
Dillashaw, Cejudo 5 7.46%
Garbrandt, Cejudo 3 4.48%
Total: 67 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Andy Dufresne posted:

Really not interested in seeing Cejudo at 135 ehhhh

It would still be better than watching TJ find out he can't make 125 anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

chaleski posted:

Yeah that's my thought, a few minutes of top control at the end of a few rounds winning a title fight seems wrong

I'm interested to see stats on how many strikes Cejudo landed from the top position. It seems less like Cejudo beat him, and more like DJ didn't do enough damage in the time he had on the feet to overcome the way judges score takedowns.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I could see either man winning this fight personally. My initial reaction was Henry but I'm gonna watch it again, at the very least he backed up that he got better and proved he belonged in the cage with Mighty Mouse when so many other guys didn't

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die

Marching Powder posted:

the judging recently has been shocking to me personally. it used to be that even if i didn't agree, i could sort of see where they're coming from. lately though it just seems that two of the three judges are not watching the same fight as me and it's happening with astounding regularity.

Well they aren't watching the same fight as you. You're watching the camera angles that the production truck chooses and hearing the microphones set up around the octagon. I'm not trying to be dismissive, but it's a totally different experience than any of the judges at ringside.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Mighty Mouse won 1-3, and possibly 5 imo.

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
genuinely amazed but not surprised Dana ghosted

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Also you were right Commonshore - sorry I told you not to worry lol

Your gut feeling was right on

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

At least DJ has twitch

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
It seems like it's wrestlers world in MMA right now because you can hit a takedown get very little control and do almost no damage and win rounds.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I could see either man winning this fight personally. My initial reaction was Henry but I'm gonna watch it again, at the very least he backed up that he got better and proved he belonged in the cage with Mighty Mouse when so many other guys didn't

that's another thing to consider - when you're dealing with a monster like mm, putting up a fight can look like a dominating performance due to subterranean expectations of the challenger

Fat Jesus
Jul 13, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2023

when judging fights, deciding which result will bring Dana White more profit is an important consideration

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Le Saboteur posted:

It seems like it's wrestlers world in MMA right now because you can hit a takedowngrt very little control and do almost no damage and win rounds.

lol welcome to 1993

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Schenck v. U.S. posted:

I'm interested to see stats on how many strikes Cejudo landed from the top position. It seems less like Cejudo beat him, and more like DJ didn't do enough damage in the time he had on the feet to overcome the way judges score takedowns.

1 min ground control = 3 mins of striking control apparently

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I gotta say Cody still being butthurt TJ switched gyms after like 2 years is starting to make him look nuts

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Also you were right Commonshore - sorry I told you not to worry lol

Your gut feeling was right on

There's something about orgasmic praise from the commentary team that's basically a curse.

there's also a 100% occurance of shenanigans when Bruce Buffer says "... and judge Sal D'Amatto scores the fight....."

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Le Saboteur posted:

It seems like it's wrestlers world in MMA right now because you can hit a takedowngrt very little control and do almost no damage and win rounds.

this is how it used to be, and then it wasn't like that for years, now it's back and it's the worst aspect of mma

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Marching Powder posted:

that's another thing to consider - when you're dealing with a monster like mm, putting up a fight can look like a dominating performance due to subterranean expectations of the challenger

i think this is why/how Cejudo takes round 2, him hitting the take down and controlling is easy to over focus on because its surprising

i don't think it was a terrible decision but thats a really rough way to lose a belt

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

CommonShore posted:

There's something about orgasmic praise from the commentary team that's basically a curse.

there's also a 100% occurance of shenanigans when Bruce Buffer says "... and judge Sal D'Amatto scores the fight....."

lmao yeah my gut dropped a bit as soon as Buffer said Sal was the deciding vote

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I'm definatly going to rewatch it in a few weeks to clear it from my head. Really need to see all those takedowns and how impactful they are. I think it's just judges weighing a takedown way more even if nothing really comes from it.

I have Mighty Mouse winning it but it could go both ways.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Cody finally gets to gently caress his wife (TJ) tonight

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Cody looks ready to explode out there

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

I gotta say Cody still being butthurt TJ switched gyms after like 2 years is starting to make him look nuts

Yeah but everything Cody says is weird

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
I don't disbelieve the Los but man what a lovely loss

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Yeah but everything Cody says is weird

this is true

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Digital Jedi posted:

I'm definatly going to rewatch it in a few weeks to clear it from my head. Really need to see all those takedowns and how impactful they are. I think it's just judges weighing a takedown way more even if nothing really comes from it.

I have Mighty Mouse winning it but it could go both ways.

I think ti's the takedowns plus that Mighty Mouse wasn't doing a lot of visually notable offense--lots of leg kicks, not a lot of punches, judges tend to get bored and not give a poo poo. "He was moving forward more" is a thing judges have cited as rationale for their decisions.

I had MM winning, but I don't think Cejudo's an unconscionable call. Hell of a fight.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

But he also needs to realize that adults make decisions that best benefit them and their career and frats are something you leave once you graduate

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Has anyone commented on how smart cody is yet

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
Go meteor

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

"He and dwayne ludwig have a really unusual relationship"

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Soothing Vapors posted:

TJ pretty much summed it up that Faber is the one that's mad about TJ choosing Duane Ludwig over him and Cody is an idiot and very loyal to Faber so he's the one carrying the grudge

Vitamin Boss
Oct 23, 2006
Burn it to the ground

Soothing Vapors posted:

He holds TJ responsible for breaking Urijah's heart, he's never going to let that grudge go. Look at how personally he took the Cruz fight despite having no history of his own with the guy

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

Alright with the RHCP walkout now I really have to root for TJ

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Making money off of the whole snake thing isn't the worst idea I guess

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

I hate the personality of both of these guys so uhh, go whoever.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

extra row of teeth posted:

Yeah it's just gonna be rad watching them both beat each other stupid

Neither of them are particularly likable

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CarlCX posted:

I think ti's the takedowns plus that Mighty Mouse wasn't doing a lot of visually notable offense--lots of leg kicks, not a lot of punches, judges tend to get bored and not give a poo poo. "He was moving forward more" is a thing judges have cited as rationale for their decisions.

I had MM winning, but I don't think Cejudo's an unconscionable call. Hell of a fight.

It really says a lot about the state of judging where we have a grey centre area where we say "The wrong guy got his hand raised but it was only medium wrong."

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

But he also needs to realize that adults make decisions that best benefit them and their career and frats are something you leave once you graduate
Complex concepts probably can't penetrate his skull

Vitamin Boss posted:

He holds TJ responsible for breaking Urijah's heart, he's never going to let that grudge go. Look at how personally he took the Cruz fight despite having no history of his own with the guy

Dr. Abysmal posted:

TJ pretty much summed it up that Faber is the one that's mad about TJ choosing Duane Ludwig over him and Cody is an idiot and very loyal to Faber so he's the one carrying the grudge
I honestly forgot all about Cody whiteknighting Uriah during the Cruz buildup

true love I guess

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

extra row of teeth posted:

yeah. they're great fighters but they're both stupid dickheads.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

It's great how psyched up the fighters get about Bruce Buffer's intros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

CarlCX posted:

Yeah, I think both guys landed decent punches but I'm not sure Cejudo landed a single decent kick. DJ landed a nice headkick that Cejudo seemed to shrug off, a few very hard body kicks, and lots and lots of leg kicks. He never put Cejudo on rubber legs, but you might assume that when Cejudo switched to southpaw it was because a leg kick had scored hard, and he was doing that a lot.

• Locked thread