Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I had good Gundam luck in Akihabara, fwiw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

ntan1 posted:

Marugo or Manpei. There are a couple of others too iirc.

Both overrated. Yamaichi is the heat.

Tonkatsu Yamaichi - 神田須田町1-8-4, 玉井ビル 1F - http://4sq.com/4Et4kP

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Re: duty free, go to places less busy to buy your shopping. Nothing is really rare so go to other places.

As for receipts you need to make sure you hand in those forms before you clear departures. Nowadays there’s a box where everyone just drops off the receipts before passport control, nobody checks anything anymore.

Or be chinese and get instant Alipay tax free shopping

Stringent posted:

I’m a convert.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Stringent posted:

ya that's the one Im forgetting, go there.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Stringent posted:

Duty free paperwork takes two minutes tops?

i'll do it for liquor, but not for 1500 yen worth of gimmick candy

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Phone posted:

i'll do it for liquor, but not for 1500 yen worth of gimmick candy

I've seen your posts. Your time isn't that valuable.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

ntan1 posted:

ya that's the one Im forgetting, go there.

Cool. Thanks Stringent and ntan.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Welcome new JETs! Join us in JGOON LINE CHAT and prove you are(n't) a shithead.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Akiba also has one of the best ramen places i ate at when i was in tokyo, place called Menya Haruka. They make taiwan style ramen, which is basically without broth and with more other food stuff.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

what about someone like me, who was kicked out of JGOON chat for defending himself against a false charge >:[

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

You have my line anyway just ask to be reinvited lol (Hawaii counts as Japan, mostly)

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

peanut posted:

i joined it and I'm not a JET or even in japan mwaahaha

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

You have my line anyway just ask to be reinvited lol (Hawaii counts as Japan, mostly)

I actually very rarely get to play the victim card, so I'm living this one up with screen shots and the like, in groups I'm in. this is one way that it is far worse than China goon chat, as people that aren't even in Japan and have nothing to do with Japan can just boot you out of the chat

it's, crazily enough, been an experience I've gotten a lot of discussion out of in other places

I'm done with group chats so it's all good, tell everyone I say hi :D

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

lol

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Great Autismo! posted:

I actually very rarely get to play the victim card, so I'm living this one up with screen shots and the like, in groups I'm in. this is one way that it is far worse than China goon chat, as people that aren't even in Japan and have nothing to do with Japan can just boot you out of the chat

it's, crazily enough, been an experience I've gotten a lot of discussion out of in other places

I'm done with group chats so it's all good, tell everyone I say hi :D

Who is in the chat that has nothing to do with Japan?

Maybe we need to see those screenshots itt.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Wait did nobody invite him back after I kicked him a month ago or something? Or is this another time.

Either way lol at having lots of discussions with various parties about Japan goon chat of all things.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Cool line group chat drama. What I come to this lovely old thread to see.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Cool line group chat drama. What I come to this lovely old thread to see.
If you'd rather, I can ship up this thread with tales from my bicycle riding through the Tohoku:

The day before yesterday my partner and I stopped in an Iwanuma restaurant that was recommended in Touring Mapple. The chef saw me holding Touring Mapple and said "oh, Rider Sushi!", which ended up being a pretty good sushi set meal that was big enough to be filling for 1080 yen.
While he was preparing our meal his wife hauled six photo albums to our table full of pictures taken over the past 20+ years of people in front of the restaurant posing with the chef and their motorcycle (with a few bicycles mixed in).
He is/was an avid motorcycle rider and tried hard to communicate with us about are trip, but I'm a bad tourist and don't know any Japanese. I was at least able to pantomime how much fun it was decsending the Irohazaka (which I highly recommend if you like being stupid on two wheels).
As we were leaving they pulled out a disposable film camera to take a picture with us.

Today we were riding along the coast in areas struck by the 2011 tsunami. All the debris is cleaned up by now, but it is eerie to see hints of all the damage that was done. There are very few buildings that look to be more than a few years old and everywhere large sea walls are still under construction.
We passed through Higashimatsushima and pretty much all that remains of the old town is a JR station that has been converted into a memorial slash family mart.

E: again, because I'm a lovely tourist who can't take any meaningful photos of my own, have a picture of a before/after picture:

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Aug 4, 2018

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

caberham posted:

Akiba is fine for nerd poo poo.

Or go to Taipei they have a mandrake store there with official translated goods

Mandarake has a great web store, I've been buying all my doujins and novels and poo poo from the Osaka one. A++ would buy again. I guess if I want to go on an anime trip I'll just go to Nipponbashi if Tokyo can't do it anymore.

Lehugo
Oct 29, 2007
walla
Is one day in Fukuoka enough or do I need more to really appreciate all the beer food?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Fukuoka also has baseball sometimes, and sumo in November.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Just popping in to say I just spent 4 days in Aomori and I wish I had spent more time in Aomori

Aomori rules

Apples

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Did you go to Osore-zan?????? (Mount FEAR) It looks spookycool.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I liked Akiba, Yodabashi is fun and the side streets have all the small shops selling used games and JAMMA arcade boards and such. The one board game shop I stumbled into with a few D&D games running was awesome to people watch.

And the random electronics stores are like a brick and mortar Digi-Key, there was even a vending machine for NOS Yamaha FM synths. Hong Kong had way more depressing shops and stores of electronic parts and computer stuff.

If you’re comfortable, it’s honestly just...wander. I dropped pins on Maps where I found places that were cool.

gently caress, I miss Japan. Going to aim to go there again this year around Thanksgiving; that’s when I went last year and weather was perfect.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Next time I'm here I want to fly to Sapporo, then go down to Hakodate, take the ferry across to the osorezan peninsula, rent a car and drive around there and to Aomori and then go home from there.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

CopperHound posted:

If you'd rather, I can ship up this thread with tales from my bicycle riding through the Tohoku:

The day before yesterday my partner and I stopped in an Iwanuma restaurant that was recommended in Touring Mapple. The chef saw me holding Touring Mapple and said "oh, Rider Sushi!", which ended up being a pretty good sushi set meal that was big enough to be filling for 1080 yen.
While he was preparing our meal his wife hauled six photo albums to our table full of pictures taken over the past 20+ years of people in front of the restaurant posing with the chef and their motorcycle (with a few bicycles mixed in).
He is/was an avid motorcycle rider and tried hard to communicate with us about are trip, but I'm a bad tourist and don't know any Japanese. I was at least able to pantomime how much fun it was decsending the Irohazaka (which I highly recommend if you like being stupid on two wheels).
As we were leaving they pulled out a disposable film camera to take a picture with us.

Today we were riding along the coast in areas struck by the 2011 tsunami. All the debris is cleaned up by now, but it is eerie to see hints of all the damage that was done. There are very few buildings that look to be more than a few years old and everywhere large sea walls are still under construction.
We passed through Higashimatsushima and pretty much all that remains of the old town is a JR station that has been converted into a memorial slash family mart.

E: again, because I'm a lovely tourist who can't take any meaningful photos of my own, have a picture of a before/after picture:

I like this post. Thanks for sharing.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

Next time I'm here I want to fly to Sapporo, then go down to Hakodate, take the ferry across to the osorezan peninsula, rent a car and drive around there and to Aomori and then go home from there.

This is very similar to our upcoming plans, except for the ferry part. Any particular places you were stopping around Aomori?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

peanut posted:

Did you go to Osore-zan?????? (Mount FEAR) It looks spookycool.

I wanted to, but apart from a Nagomi Visit in Aomori-shi we mainly just drove around Hirosaki doing apple-related things.

Learning to drive on the other side was weird and fun.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Aomori is a good place. First time I went to Japan it was Aomori.

Edit: Also big ups to the Kita-Aomori highschool baseball team who gave me a ride when I was hitchhiking

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Is it worth hiring a car in that area? And is apples the biggest draw card?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Granite Octopus posted:

You need a car to get around outside of the big cities, even in Japan. There's some trains to an extent but you'll be real pressed to get most places.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

On the other hand, pretty much everywhere worth going to is served by public transport in some fashion. There may only be 2 or 3 options per day, so you'll need to work backwards a lot. And you may have to spend 30 minutes waiting at some roadside inaka bus stop, or spend a couple thousand yen on a taxi for the very last leg. But the timetables are pretty reliable and I've never found myself real pressed and needing a car.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Granite Octopus posted:

The trains in Aomori seemed to run only 1 every 40 minutes and busses weren't much more frequent.

If you're comfortable with/trying the side of the road/car they drive on I say do it. It's not that expensive for the convenience and also the experience.

Around Hirosaki there are some really nice forested mountain roads. On the way back to the hotel one night I saw some tanuki taking a stroll and a loving gigantic owl.

Also they're very good apples, and you can even go apple picking. Hirosaki in particular also has a Zen Temple District, as well as a fuckton of onsen.

I just love that level of inaka a lot. I find it extremely relaxing. I wouldn't leave if I could help it.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

mikeycp posted:

The trains in Aomori seemed to run only 1 every 40 minutes and busses weren't much more frequent.

If you're comfortable with/trying the side of the road/car they drive on I say do it. It's not that expensive for the convenience and also the experience.

Around Hirosaki there are some really nice forested mountain roads. On the way back to the hotel one night I saw some tanuki taking a stroll and a loving gigantic owl.

Also they're very good apples, and you can even go apple picking. Hirosaki in particular also has a Zen Temple District, as well as a fuckton of onsen.

I just love that level of inaka a lot. I find it extremely relaxing. I wouldn't leave if I could help it.

Sounds great. I've been twice before and never felt the need for a car, but we want to go exploring a bit further out of the main population areas so having a car for that area sounds like the way to go. Seems that trying to return the car to a different location costs way more, so might hire from Aomori and return back there.

I was hoping to find somewhere that would rent out MX-5s but didn't have any luck. Might settle for a manual kei car instead.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Some goons added me on line using the QR code but cmon guys at least send a message.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Granite Octopus posted:

Sounds great. I've been twice before and never felt the need for a car, but we want to go exploring a bit further out of the main population areas so having a car for that area sounds like the way to go. Seems that trying to return the car to a different location costs way more, so might hire from Aomori and return back there.

I was hoping to find somewhere that would rent out MX-5s but didn't have any luck. Might settle for a manual kei car instead.

Dunno if it helps but I rented from the JR rentacar at the station and it was pretty affordable. They gave me a Yaris, which bleh, but for something to learn a new way to drive with it was fine.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LimburgLimbo posted:

Wait did nobody invite him back after I kicked him a month ago or something?

you booted me because Stringent was drunk, nice work, cheers from Hawaii :cheers:

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

The Great Autismo! posted:

you booted me because Stringent was drunk, nice work, cheers from Hawaii :cheers:

but Stringent is always drunk :confused:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Even when he’s sober he’s a bad person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer