Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Drunken Baker posted:

Gosling doesn't blink in Drive either.
Well, once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

Coneheads is a prime example of a skit that's outrageously funny for 2 minute intervals, maybe 3 times a season and really bad for any longer length of time.

I'm trying to think of a Saturday Night Live skit that you could watch 90 minutes of and all I'm getting is Waynes' World. The Blues Brothers was another. But Wayne's World still wins on the strength of a decent sequel don't watch the Blue Brothers 2000

Conheads is a great movie, don't know what you're talking about.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Conheads is a great movie, don't know what you're talking about.

My memory says it was a 1990’s Dan Ackroyd movie and therefore either poo poo or My Girl.

I could be wrong, but I like my odds.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I remember reading that Darth Maul never blinked, either, which is a pretty cool thing. Not blinking is one of those small, subtle things that makes you realize that this person is hosed up.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

My memory says it was a 1990’s Dan Ackroyd movie and therefore either poo poo or My Girl.

It's good. It tells a very relevant story about immigration and the Coneheads are actual characters that you end up really rooting for. It also has a bunch of legit good sci-fi moments(narfle the garthok).

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

syscall girl posted:

Another question: is "advocate" a normal pronunciation for avocado anywhere?
Sure it wasn't "aguacate"?

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.

syscall girl posted:

Another question: is "advocate" a normal pronunciation for avocado anywhere?

Is that what he's saying? I could never tell..."I'll just set down my bourbon and blah-blah-blah..."

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Advocaat.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

syscall girl posted:

Also this:

And the part where his drink is poisoned, he shows up out of sorts and "hung over" (in spite of being a raging drunk himself) tries to explain himself goes back to the hacienda and they're like, wtf are you talking about?

Very deliberate and hilarious take on a certain Cary Grant movie.

To my recollection he’s watching that movie on his computer in an earlier episode.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009
While not subtle in any way, I did appreciate in Annihilation when the backpack was shown covered in duct tape after the boathouse scene.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

Grosse Point Blank was 1999, wasn't it?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Jedit posted:

Grosse Point Blank was 1999, wasn't it?

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

I finally rewatched Quantum of Solace last night, and noticed a fun little gimmick that someone else has thankfully already uploaded to YouTube. When Bond is talking to M on the phone and asking them to look someone up, he says "Greene, G - R - Double E - N - E", and the computer starts to type "GRWE", thinking the "double" was "Double-U" before correcting itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_2hroyGKSs

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Perennial thread favourite Hot Fuzz. I noticed on my most recent watch that Danny really does take the effort to become a better policeman officer, and you can see him begin using the updated vocabulary guidelines throughout the movie and even reading them at one point.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I might have said this in the thread before but the old lady who calls Nick Angel a fascist uses a Sten gun in the gunfight at the end of the movie. The Sten gun was a submachine gun manufactured by the British for WWII.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Might have been missed by a few people, but in The Bye Bye Man, there's no plot and the entire film is hot garbage. I actively hate myself for hate watching this stupid loving movie.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Arcsquad12 posted:

Perennial thread favourite Hot Fuzz. I noticed on my most recent watch that Danny really does take the effort to become a better policeman officer, and you can see him begin using the updated vocabulary guidelines throughout the movie and even reading them at one point.

Hot Fuzz is one of those movies where you can always spot something new, like one of the Andy’s trying to smoke a sopping wet cigarette in the rain scene, or that the church roof needing to be fixed was both the reason for the fair and how they were able to murder someone by pulling a piece off.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Might have been missed by a few people, but in The Bye Bye Man, there's no plot and the entire film is hot garbage. I actively hate myself for hate watching this stupid loving movie.
It did give us this tho

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Or how the the farmer with the sea mine is named Mr Webley.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Coffee And Pie posted:

Hot Fuzz is one of those movies where you can always spot something new, like one of the Andy’s trying to smoke a sopping wet cigarette in the rain scene, or that the church roof needing to be fixed was both the reason for the fair and how they were able to murder someone by pulling a piece off.

I like how all the characters have job names, like Tailor and Grocer. Except for Nicholas, because he doesn't belong there.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."

bony tony posted:

I like how all the characters have job names, like Tailor and Grocer. Except for Nicholas, because he doesn't belong there.

He's an Angel who saves the community from evil, seems job name enough to me.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

TGG posted:

Ahem

Angle

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Arcsquad12 posted:

I loved this because it's both character development and forshadowing when Danny says his mother died in a traffic "collision"

TGG posted:

When Angel arrives at the hotel the landlady remarks "it appears the heavens have opened"

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I am still irrationally angry that the butcher's glass meat case is bulletproof, but can be smashed by shopping carts.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Krispy Wafer posted:

I am still irrationally angry that the butcher's glass meat case is bulletproof, but can be smashed by shopping carts.

Director’s commentary revealed that the glass was insanely expensive so they didn’t actually break it.

E: I think its because it’s a large shaped piece of glass?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

VanSandman posted:

Director’s commentary revealed that the glass was insanely expensive so they didn’t actually break it.

I could have sworn they broke it with the shopping carts? Although that scene was shot from behind the counter so it was almost certainly a different cheaper piece of glass brought in specifically to break.

I guess there's some stupid 80's or 90's cop movie where bullets just ricochet off glass that they can say was being parodied.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I think they just smash the whole thing back? I don't remember glass shattering.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Just pulled it up on Netflix. Glass shatters into a million pieces, but it's almost off frame and from a different angle so it's not the insanely expensive glass.

"nothing like a bit girl on girl."

I think the lady cop actress is going to be the next Queen in the Crown series.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Olivia Colman is such a fantastic actor. I don’t know if you’ve watched Broadchurch but she does such a good job in that series. If you haven’t watched it yet, fair warning, it is bleak.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 36 hours!
Her career is just so genuinely, delightfully weird if you're not paying full attention to her. She crops up in a bunch of the internet-favorite late 00s British comedies like Mitchell and Webb and Look Around you, she's a constant fixture on Peep Show, she gets a couple bit parts in larger things like Hot Fuzz... and then you're not looking for a couple years and suddenly she's a serious dramatic actress on Broadchurch and then gets cast as the Queen. I'm sure it was a more understandable transition for people who follow British media more closely, butfor me it was just "wait, who are we talking about? Her? Is 'Olivia Colman' the same person as 'Liv Colman'?"

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
She’s an absolute treasure. My favourite performance of hers is in the miniseries ‘Exile’, playing the sister of John Simm’s character as they try to untangle a family mystery that only their Alzheimer’s-ridden father has the answer to. Jim Broadbent plays the dad and it’s probably a 7 out of 10 script with a 10 out of 10 cast.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tyrannosaur is probably her best performance. It’s a highly underrated movie and I recommend everyone checks it out

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

TGG posted:

That’s why his badge number is 777

VanSandman posted:

I just watched it the other day, what actually happened was they were told they couldn’t break it (thus the bulletproof glass bit) and then they proceeded to accidentally shatter it with the carts.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Coffee And Pie posted:

That's why his badge number is 777

This is a subtle movie moment. I did not catch that.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

iajanus posted:

Ahem

Angle

Non Angli, sed Angeli.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Krispy Wafer posted:

I guess there's some stupid 80's or 90's cop movie where bullets just ricochet off glass that they can say was being parodied.

I pretty sure at the end of Robocop 2 there are ricochet sparks on the tires of the APC they're taking cover behind.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Cat Hatter posted:

I pretty sure at the end of Robocop 2 there are ricochet sparks on the tires of the APC they're taking cover behind.

The last season of Walking Dead was like that where they were just burning through thousands of rounds that didn't leave any holes or break any windows. Even when they were shooting at cars with sparks everywhere showing the bullet strikes.

But I was thinking Dirty Harry where Clint Eastwood talks about weak cop guns ricocheting off windshields.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Olivia colman was also the voice on the end of the phone in that Tom hardy movie set entirely in his car,fantastic movie i recommend everyone watches it,seriously.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Olivia colman was also the voice on the end of the phone in that Tom hardy movie set entirely in his car,fantastic movie i recommend everyone watches it,seriously.

How can we watch it if we don't know the title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s called Locke, and it’s by the creator of Peaky Blinders, an excellent British show which unfortunately doesn’t have Olivia Colman (yet)