Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Clanpot Shake posted:

Where is the open gaming area? Is that the one on Lucas oil field? Or a different thing?

We’re in the JW ballroom one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Be sure to T.O.V.A. on Saturday at 4! In the Auction room. Stands for Toys, Oddities, Video (/Games), and Art. Thanks to Auction Josh it has been my favorite part of Gen-Con since like 2005? when I first attended it, between being hilarious and having some of the strangest possible gaming-related material at the convention.

Leading up to it at 3 they are going to try to run a bunch of the excess books and art that often slow down the goofy stuff, so we will see how that experiment goes.

Edit: oh to be fair I will likely be auctioneering too so that is kind of a vested interest, except I get nothing specific out of increased attendance other than knowing other Goons are chilling in the right place.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Funzo posted:

We’re in the JW ballroom one.

Oh I'm done for the night, good to know for tomorrow though

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Lawen posted:

I picked up Kids On Bikes and it seems cool and good if you like that type of game.

Me too!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Does anyone know if the space marines they're giving away at the paint and take area are normal or primaris? I'd never painted a space marine before and was kind of shocked at how huge they were.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I will have to add this to the opening post next year, unless it is already there and I hilariously just forgot, but dude, Fat Rooster in the Hyatt has to be the best overall place to eat lunch if you must eat lunch; it is RIGHT THERE, it was virtually abandoned when we went in for a late lunch, and they have a cooked-to-order pasta bar ala the omelette bars in the nicer hotels, and the pasta bar also has a salad bar and a sandwich bar?! and desserts (non-lovely) included too, oh my goodness, I want to go eat there again already

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Pizza di Tito is right there as well and they're open late.

Ceebees
Nov 2, 2011

I'm intentionally being as verbose as possible in negotiations for my own amusement.

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone know if the space marines they're giving away at the paint and take area are normal or primaris? I'd never painted a space marine before and was kind of shocked at how huge they were.

Primaris.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
I JUST GOT BACK FROM MY FIRST GEN CON.

It was fun!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

CubeTheory posted:

I JUST GOT BACK FROM MY FIRST GEN CON.

It was fun!

Congratulations. The first hit is free.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Toshimo posted:

Congratulations. The first hit is free.

This is funny because a friend bought me a one day pass and it was.

I've already made plans to get a room and a four day pass next year.

edit: also I got very drunk

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Whats the deal with root

Had someone explain it to the four of us and they walked us through 2 turns then said sorry thats the end of the demo despite other people still playing real games

Solid 2/10, unsold on the game from that one experience

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Some demoers are real bad at the task :(

Interviewed the designer and artist for Root today and they both told me they love my photography, rad!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I demoed Nyctophobia and it was real bad. The hunter being able to see totally throws off the dynamic and makes it very ridiculous IMO.

The demo instructor was kinda bad too though so I guess that could’ve ruined it.

The Mind is loving fantastic though.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
When I demo'd Keyforge I asked the man giving the demo a rules question that he could not answer, and then he suggested that my opponent and I discuss and agree on how it should be resolved. I still really liked Keyforge, and the demo guy was nice, but boy was that a sad moment.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

I demoed Nyctophobia and it was real bad. The hunter being able to see totally throws off the dynamic and makes it very ridiculous IMO.

The demo instructor was kinda bad too though so I guess that could’ve ruined it.

Nycto is indeed trash, but I did enjoy watching people play it

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I had an absolute disaster demo dude at Whistle Stop. It wasn’t entirely his fault (the rules are really poorly done), but man it was unpleasant. I don’t think he’d played it. And then a group showed up with event specific tickets that he had to turn away because the dev/publisher hadn’t given him enough copies of the game . . .

But overall, great first Gencon for me. Spirit Island is really cool. Before There Were Stars is low key potentially the best drinking game I’ve ever played. Expancity is cool even though I got dumped on by card luck

nashona
May 8, 2014

Though she be but little, she is fierce

sportsgenius86 posted:

A fellow goon bought a copy and we were playing it tonight. Talking to a guy watching us they mentioned playing the rounds with cards face down and seeing the results as an option.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Whats the deal with root

Had someone explain it to the four of us and they walked us through 2 turns then said sorry thats the end of the demo despite other people still playing real games

Solid 2/10, unsold on the game from that one different experience

Each of the four factions (6 with expansion) are trying to accomplish the same goals (expand territory, earn victory points, keep the others in check) while playing completely differently. The bird people are very strict in how and when they do their actions, the cats are trying to industrialize the entire forest with sawmills and workshops, the woodland alliance are guerrilla warfare types, and the vagabond/raccoon is a solo character that weaves in and out of the other factions, trading and doing quests to earn victory points.

It's very complicated and daunting when you first open it but everyone seems to learn how to do their stuff after about four to five turns. Once people know how their faction works, turns go very quickly.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

nashona posted:

A fellow goon bought a copy and we were playing it tonight. Talking to a guy watching us they mentioned playing the rounds with cards face down and seeing the results as an option.

...Which I think was how they used to review candidates for the Remote Viewing program. Anyway, The Mind is terrific and even better when you get into a groove with your partners.

Root is also pretty fun! I think one issue with the 2-round "how to play" is that it doesn't take into account the uniqueness of each player's card. I'd picked a leader trait for my Eyrie, for instance, and the demo sheet just barreled ahead and said to "place X in Y territory" without considering that. (It also doesn't just give you a list of what to put on each player card and the board for the demo rounds.) Still, once you get a game of Root going, you'll start to grasp how things work really quickly and develop strategies..

I seem to have missed a bunch of Goontivities this year, but that's probably because of all the other stuff I was doing. Learning about crafting MDF terrain, game demos, and even got in a game of Frostgrave with the author! Not bad for my first GenCon in like 5 years. Good to see so many of you folks enjoyed it too!

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

sportsgenius86 posted:

I was too afraid of getting pinkeye from the glasses to try it

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Each of the four factions (6 with expansion) are trying to accomplish the same goals (expand territory, earn victory points, keep the others in check) while playing completely differently. The bird people are very strict in how and when they do their actions, the cats are trying to industrialize the entire forest with sawmills and workshops, the woodland alliance are guerrilla warfare types, and the vagabond/raccoon is a solo character that weaves in and out of the other factions, trading and doing quests to earn victory points.

It's very complicated and daunting when you first open it but everyone seems to learn how to do their stuff after about four to five turns. Once people know how their faction works, turns go very quickly.

Yeah i understand how its played but people are busting nuts over how good it is, and based on my bad introduction it seems very fiddley. The bird people seem like they get destroyed by leader loss every time and according to our demoer that is very true

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah i understand how its played but people are busting nuts over how good it is, and based on my bad introduction it seems very fiddley. The bird people seem like they get destroyed by leader loss every time and according to our demoer that is very true

The birds have a lot of potential to run away with the game if they program well and aren't put in check. They can do the most actions of any faction if they go aggressive and plan well. They are designed to ebb and flow with the turmoil system though, it doesn't make them weak, it gives an interesting tempo to their play.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 5, 2018

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Bare minimum, you will lose two victory points every time you can't complete an action from your decree; you lose a point for every Bird card, including the mandatory Loyal Viziers. If you're good or lucky enough, you can play all kinds of other card types to really branch out. The birds have the most warriors, I think, and so can build their roosts up with defenses. They also get guaranteed points every turn from having roosts up. If the birds get stuck into a spot, it can be very hard to remove them.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
It was a good con, I had more fun with demos and just bumbling around the exhibit hall (BEEPLE REFERENCE) this year than I have had in a while. Not dressing up in a hot and heavy costume helped. Ran into some old friends, drank good beer, ate good food. I am excited for Rallymans.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Reynold posted:

I am excited for Rallymans.

Me too, didn't even know they'd have copies of prototypes and my group was walking somewhere else and I made them halt and demo the game. Not sure how I feel about point to point rally racing being a stretch goal though :(

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Wait, is it just Chaos in the Old World?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

CubeTheory posted:

sorta, but good

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

CubeTheory posted:

I've only played a half game of that, four years ago, so I can, with absolute confidence, say yes.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

It was dope this year to be so close to the JW and goon hangouts, even if it was real bad for my sleep schedule. It was the second time I've done GenCon as a business in a sense, a lot more successful this time. Delivering orc Stabr was loving wild but I loved it, and it was the best possible start to the con to see all of you doofuses open the envelopes at HV.

I felt like I didn't have enough time more than usual this year. I spent a lot of it ferrying and guiding my two friends who'd never been here, and making sure they had a good time, which was great but I missed my 13 hour Games on Demand slots. Next year when they're settled on their own I can throw deep into that room I think

Does anyone else feel like the vendor Hall is getting just way beyond manageable these days? Both people with me were saying it was basically the worst and more confusing and assaulting place at the convention and I gotta agree. I don't really know what could be done about it mind you, the vast vast majority of booths are cool poo poo that people wanna buy/play/see, it's just a lot.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

Someone at Lucas oil told me they were trying to woo some of the larger vendors over there next year for that reason, but after 2 events on the field I think I'm gonna try to avoid it in the future. Stadium lights gave me a killer headache.

I found the exhibit hall manageable, but I was alone and could weave through it without worrying about losing someone in it. I went in there all 4 days and I know I barely saw half of it.

I did meet nesbit, beegame looks cool and fun. Sadly I didn't get to try Root. Evil High Priest looked okay but I already got my one worker placement (Heaven and Ale). Watched Eschaton played and it's a definite pass. Illimat looked very interesting, gonna read more about it when I get home. Demoed the 7th Sea board game, War of the Rose, it's like a quicker Game of Thrones (the risk-like one) but very skipable. Lastly, stopped by the CK2 game and it looks promising. Didn't get a demo though.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I think they'd do better with a different layout, like larger main aisles and maybe move the artists and authors to another area. I agree that the stadium lights are migraine inducing I'm avoiding stuff on the field next year.

This year flew by. I didn't see all of the hall I'm sure but I did manage to meet a few goons and one long-time internet friend I'd never seen face to face so there's that. I managed to not buy too many games I'll likely regret in a few weeks as well. See ya next year goonses!

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Fellow Goon selnaric backed the "Who Goes There?" Kickstarter and picked up his copy at GenCon. We got it to the table Friday night and it was good! I was particularly impressed with the quality of the meeples and play aids, and the packing insert is black loving magic. I have the feeling you could throw that box in a dryer for an hour and it would come out with everything in place.

Though I didn't make it to any of the Goon events (thought about hiking to Shot Wednesday, but was cashed after the drive and had an 8am event Thursday), I had a ton of fun as usual. My wife strong-armed me into trying True Dungeon - we played it twice and I was pretty :geno: about the whole thing. Awfully expensive for what it is. I probably won't do it again if I can help it. But my travel homies scouted out the Games on Demand room, and I suspect I be spending more time there next year running games for total randos.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Another great year.

Edit I have no idea why the img host rotates those pics

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

That image host has a fantastic sense of comedic editing

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Thank you all that stopped by and said hi! It felt great to see so many supportive goons. I'll post more later, right now decrompessing with booth crew at a bar.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Did anyone else think "wait the Dice Tower guy died?" when they saw all the Jack Vasel memorial fund signs?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

nesbit37 posted:

Thank you all that stopped by and said hi! It felt great to see so many supportive goons. I'll post more later, right now decrompessing with booth crew at a bar.

Which one were you? I demoed it but didn't want to say "hey, are you on this dead comedy forum?" to some random stranger.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

It was a great year, but I'm committed to making it the last GenCon that I'm forced to drive in and out for 10 minutes each day.

I've already got two other goons who are interested in forming a new housing group for next year (Kitchen vs Catsup and Suddenly Susan). Send me a PM if you are interested or know someone who is.

Final Haul:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

81,306 steps. 27.46 miles. My feet hurt so, so much.
Got to play in two CoC games this year!
The best game we got in the VIG swag bag was Farlight. It's super fun!
It seems like every booth selling metal dice or those Hex-shaped dice vaults appear to be ordering from the same vendor on Alibaba so I'll have to track the source down.
The SJ Games/Adventure Retail booth didn't have any GURPS books. Truly a sad day for the game. (They had the fantasy box.)
Lots of cool stuff in the dealer hall. I bought over a hundred bucks worth of nerd shirts.
All of the cosplay I saw this year was fantastic!