Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
I remember something like an E/N thread someone made about a family member dying, with a reply that went on about how they also were sad when Sephiroth killed Aeris so they can relate. Anyone have that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunken fleet
Apr 25, 2010

dreams of an unchanging future,
a today like yesterday,
a tomorrow like today.
Fallen Rib
what? nobody could actually be that tone deaf... could they?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sunken fleet posted:

They could and they were. I don't recall all the details, but I do remember seeing it in a former incarnation of this thread.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is that where the XKCD strip about the mod to put Aeris back in and how anybody using it needs serious help comes from?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Greaseman posted:

I remember something like an E/N thread someone made about a family member dying, with a reply that went on about how they also were sad when Sephiroth killed Aeris so they can relate. Anyone have that?

I know it was Lissedae, and the quote was reposted in one of her wedding threads, but I don't have the original thread.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My favorite tone-deaf E/N poster was the thread where someone talked about a 21-year-old woman whose 40-something husband died, and someone waltzed in with the ol' "It's sad that he died, but at least now she's free to date someone her own age." They got called out for pages and kept trying to apologize but also couldn't stop loving that chicken. I'm sure it's colored by memory, but I remember their last post being an unhinged rant which alternated between saying you should only date age-appropriate people and screaming "I'M NOT A BAD PERSON!"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Well, did she wind up dating someone her own age?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
We don't know the details, but it sounds like the fire thing was in California during fire season. Whether or not it's legal anyone tending a fire with 4-5 foot flames in the middle of fire season is loving retard and should be beaten with a sack of charcoal briquettes.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Outrail posted:

We don't know the details, but it sounds like the fire thing was in California during fire season. Whether or not it's legal anyone tending a fire with 4-5 foot flames in the middle of fire season is loving retard and should be beaten with a sack of charcoal briquettes.

This is assuming it was indeed an actual open bonfire though, and not like a small fire pit or maybe even just a charcoal grill.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

sunken fleet posted:

We live in a world with that MLP Holocaust post. This almost seems tame in comparison.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

My favorite tone-deaf E/N poster was the thread where someone talked about a 21-year-old woman whose 40-something husband died, and someone waltzed in with the ol' "It's sad that he died, but at least now she's free to date someone her own age." They got called out for pages and kept trying to apologize but also couldn't stop loving that chicken. I'm sure it's colored by memory, but I remember their last post being an unhinged rant which alternated between saying you should only date age-appropriate people and screaming "I'M NOT A BAD PERSON!"

I would expect a full-thread assault on that topic if it came up in r/relationships.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Subjunctive posted:

I would expect a full-thread assault on that topic if it came up in r/relationships.

As many silly rules as that subreddit has, there's a reason they have the mandatory age and gender indicators.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I meant in the mock thread, but yeah.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

This is assuming it was indeed an actual open bonfire though, and not like a small fire pit or maybe even just a charcoal grill.

Nobody's having a BBQ with a gigantic bonfire.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Nobody's having a BBQ with a gigantic bonfire.

Oh I know, I was being polite

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The greatest single page in forums history.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3773374&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=35

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

i don't want to read all that, can i get a tl;dr

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Is there a point where anything happens or is it all just long-winded car wanking

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

rodbeard posted:

Is there a point where anything happens or is it all just long-winded car wanking
If the idea of a goon buying a truck and another obsessive goon traveling cross country to fix it up in exchange for a place to sleep, food, and booze interests you, you'll love it. If you're not interested in a drawn-out truck restoration drama that involves another vehicle spontaneously catching fire in the middle of a field and I won't spoil the ending for you, then it's not for you. If you want the short version, just sort by posts from the two people quoted there and skim the last few pages.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
It's basically The Old Man and the Sea except about rebuilding a ancient truck in a field located in the rear end end of ruralest Nebraska. Also a Jeep catches fire.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

tl;dr: ExplodingSims and 14" INCH DICK making poor life decisions again, to the amusement of AI goons.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

It's really good. Inch Dick is a well meaning 'sucking chest wound of a man' who struggle(s/d) with meth addiction. I hear he's doing a lot better.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I'm reading this now and can't stop. I think no attempt at a tl;dr just can't do this justice.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Inch Dick is a goddamned treasure and everything they write is gold, the simple act of reading another one of their sagas is pure joy

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Greaseman posted:

spoonce posted:

"I know I'll probably be attacked for this (video games are for losers, etc. ), but this is exactly how I felt when Aerith died. I honestly didn't know what to do, I was pretty much in a daze.. I would go into battle without any materia equipped, I'd forget to heal my characters after battles, completely neglected my chocobos. I would just go to the Golden Saucer and dick around for hours at a time playing minigames... I just didn't see any point to advancing the story, how could there be a story without her? Well, it took some time, but I got over it (and took my revenge on Sephy [KoTR + Mimic ftw]), and the point is, I'm sure you will too. If there's anything I'd take from this, it's that life goes on even after losing a loved one, it's just up to you how long it takes.
Goondolences."

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

It's really good. Inch Dick is a well meaning 'sucking chest wound of a man' who struggle(s/d) with meth addiction. I hear he's doing a lot better.
I didn't want to say it, but I kind of assumed that. Good for him, and good for the Car Gods for bestowing upon him a project to give him something to truly enjoy/
spoonce was an extremely talented fakeposter, back when trolling with that level of effort was called fakeposting rather than just trolling.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

GWBBQ posted:

If the idea of a goon buying a truck and another obsessive goon traveling cross country to fix it up in exchange for a place to sleep, food, and booze interests you, you'll love it. If you're not interested in a drawn-out truck restoration drama that involves another vehicle spontaneously catching fire in the middle of a field and I won't spoil the ending for you, then it's not for you. If you want the short version, just sort by posts from the two people quoted there and skim the last few pages.

I'm not even a gearhead and I read that whole damned thread start to finish, and then read the next one when he went back, finished the job, and the truck finally got to Florida.

Spoilered for anyone who does want to read the whole thing. loving feel-good story of the decade right there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Always inspirational when goons manage to eventually overcome their overwhelming desire to completely gently caress up basic tasks and accomplish something you could expect a functional adult to reasonably do given enough time and the proper materials.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
So he'll be selling it and buying another almost-literal dumpster fire of a car any day now, then?

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Always inspirational when goons manage to eventually overcome their overwhelming desire to completely gently caress up basic tasks and accomplish something you could expect a functional adult to reasonably do given enough time and the proper materials.

He's actually cursed as a man in addition to the addiction issues.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yes? Some folks are hosed up, so when they take steps to get un-hosed it shows us all that if Goony McGoonface can climb out of the piss-filled well then maybe those of us who are less hosed up can do so too.

Look, we got very little to be hopeful or happy about. Can't we take inspiration where we can find it?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Holy poo poo, that is a real saga :stare:.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
The occasional outbreak of total, unconditional lovebombing in the most unexpected threads is one of the best goddamned things about this place.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Some real good writing in there.

rndmnmbr posted:

If there was one thing you could absolutely trust 14" to do, it was walk into the mouth of madness and bring something hosed up but functional back out. 

Evocative.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Is that what his mom did, too?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Screaming Idiot posted:

Yes? Some folks are hosed up, so when they take steps to get un-hosed it shows us all that if Goony McGoonface can climb out of the piss-filled well then maybe those of us who are less hosed up can do so too.

Look, we got very little to be hopeful or happy about. Can't we take inspiration where we can find it?

Of course! I just found it funny. I'm certainly not one to talk.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

The Ballad of the 14" DICK is one of my favourite forum things ever. I once described it to my wife as "A broken husk of a man finds redemption in the frozen wastes of Nebraska through truck repair, one walls-melting fart at a time." It fills me with joy to see him putting himself together, anyone who's seen real addiction up close can understand the kind of hell he has gone through to get where he is now. Nothing that funny about it, really, except the farts, especially the farts

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Pirate Radar posted:

Is that what his mom did, too?

Functional? Really??

Well I guess!!!!!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
It's a simple thing, but the running joke riffing on forums poster oldpainless's username cracks me up every time.

oldpainless posted:

MightyJoe36 posted:

poo poo, I didn't even know you could read.
I’ve been able to read for years!

Sunswipe posted:

More like oldilliteracyless.

oldpainless posted:

That’s not what that means but we can see what kind of mind you have

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

More like oldkinkless

Magic Hate Ball posted:

oldpainless posted:

Fries that are not crispy.
Fries that are too crispy.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

More like oldcrunchless

Bamabalacha posted:

oldpainless posted:

My wife never puts a cap back on a bottle firmly. My life is full of dropped bottles from grasping from the top and the lid coming off once the bottle is 6 inches off the ground.
More like oldcapless.

CelticPredator posted:

oldpainless posted:

I don’t care
MORE LIKE OLD CARELESS!!!

Finally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
From the nws-but-not-actually thread

Knee posted:

Vagina dentata.

Jedit posted:

What a wonderful phrase!

The Relentless posted:

It means no bonin'
For the rest of your days

Marcade posted:

It's the penis free
gynecology

Vagina dentata

because I have the mental capacity of a literal child and didn't clue in on the joke until that last post.