Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

GenericOverusedName posted:

What else would the space weebabirds call it? :v:

Mods plz change my name to Space Weabird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

How's the AI in these games? I'm pretty experienced in 4X titles, so braindead opponents kind of ruin Civ V and especially VI for me. No doubt it'll take a while to learn and to come to grip with things like FIDSI and faction differences, but I'm still a bit leery.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
It's braindead.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

AKA only turn on the Academy Quest if the entire game is human because you'll end having to do everything by yourself because the AI sure as hell won't do it for you.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Some of the eclipse effects are suuuper useful. Like the forgotten cash grab. You can get a decent (for the pre-ramp struggle) dusz infusion and cheap seniority at even the lowest infiltration levels... While also loving your enemy. It's a little thing, but it counts.

Also, somewhere along the way they made What's Yours Is Mine give extra infiltration power. That's nice.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Fuligin posted:

How's the AI in these games? I'm pretty experienced in 4X titles, so braindead opponents kind of ruin Civ V and especially VI for me. No doubt it'll take a while to learn and to come to grip with things like FIDSI and faction differences, but I'm still a bit leery.

Are there any modern 4x games that don't have braindead AI?

MP is by far the best way to play these.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
4x as a genre is basically too complex for competent AI that can balance all aspects.

Galciv 2, the Pinnacle of 4x AI had a lot of simplified systems like linear research that allowed that ai to work.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
So I'm not sure what's wrong with me, but I prefer ES 1 over 2 so much it isn't funny.

I actually liked the hands off watch a battle with phases versus the XWing tabletop movement.

Are there any mods that make the combat in 2 like 1 or am I just stuck ?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Fuligin posted:

It's much worse than the Civ V AI.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

It's much worse than the Civ V AI.

Is this for all of the Endless 4X games? Or is the AI especially bad in, say, one of the Endless Space games? I'm curious because I generally suck at 4X games and I've only started to scratch the surface of solo Endless Legend (with DLC). I'm not some strategy mastermind, so I'm kind of hoping that the AI can at least put up enough of a fight to enjoy the experience overall.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
All are pretty bad. If playing on higher difficulties still doesn't give you any challenge, try
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=851891695
I'm not sure there's anything like this for ES2 yet.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

The only challenge AI's can give is through the ridiculous bonuses they get on higher difficulties. Even on the hardest difficulty if you just start chewing away at the weakest factions first you can easily steamroll the rest. Multiplayer is where its at, but organising a good 6-8 hour multiplayer session is completely unheard of in my mid-30's with young children age group.

Fastest settings smallest worlds might lead to some fun games but would heavily benefit factions with good early militaries (Necros, Wild Walkers, Drakken) and factions relying on gradually building steam would probably be pretty useless (Broken Lords, Cultists, Morgawr). Still, I'd give it a go if there's others knockin about.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

I like a good 4x. Which endless game should I get? Es2 or el? Would anyone be kind enough to do a quick summary for me the thread is long and winding!

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Endless Legend is closer in form to Civilization, what with the hex grid, unit movement, etc. It is set in a high fantasy world (which is actually an alien planet full of high technology and cast offs from an ancient civilization), with all the trappings that involves.

Endless Space 2 is closer to Master of Orion, with node based moment and hands-free fleet combat. The scale of ES2 feels much grander, but that also means it feels more empty and soulless, in my opinion anyway.

Both are great, and operate under a lot of the same core concepts. So it really comes down to "fantasy or sci-fi".

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

I like a good 4x. Which endless game should I get? Es2 or el? Would anyone be kind enough to do a quick summary for me the thread is long and winding!
If you have played some of the more recent Space-based 4x games Endless Space is an interesting take on them and a pretty decent game. If you're tired of space-based 4x then I would skip it or do more research before buying.

I personally love the poo poo out of EL. The AI is not great but the game itself just feels so good. Its like a better version of Civ5 to me. The city growth/planning/management is fun and engaging (to me), the combat can be frustrating at times but is way loving better than anything the Civ series has ever provided, and the game just flows well.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Let's not forget that both games have some of the best soundtracks and sound design in the industry

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Amplitude is up there with Supergiant for amazing soundtracks.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Also being very evocative with very little. Just the factions intros will put you in the mood for playing them. I think my only real complaint setting-wise is that hero names tend to be word salads most of time.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Azran posted:

I think my only real complaint setting-wise is that hero names tend to be word salads most of time.

Raudd Klapatch
Rhync Raggiodri
Lunabarxes
Caxalxsixox Druse
Eighth of Fifteenth of Karval
Yelchin Ordara-Arrakyo
Asaroenni Dzulmaran

Yeah, that checks out.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I don't mind if that's one races gimmick, but at first I thought names were being procedurally generated. It's funny when a Broken Lord gets a name like "John II" due to the stark contrast.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Thanks guys. I do love a space 4x but also love more Civ like games. Looks like both are on sale at the moment so will probably end up buying both.

I enjoyed the original endless space but overall it felt clunky, the actual gameplay was a bit flat and it got tedious as hell by mid/late game. Combat seemed awesome at first but quickly became dull.

I'll probably start with el.

Space wise if the most recent I've played is Stellaris are there titles you would play before es2?

Good atmosphere and lore does a lot to make up for lacking gameplay for me too.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Stellaris and ES2 are p much the competing space 4x games right now.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Community hit the 1 million hours. All the fleet skins are going to make it into the game.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Chadzok posted:

The only challenge AI's can give is through the ridiculous bonuses they get on higher difficulties. Even on the hardest difficulty if you just start chewing away at the weakest factions first you can easily steamroll the rest. Multiplayer is where its at, but organising a good 6-8 hour multiplayer session is completely unheard of in my mid-30's with young children age group.

Fastest settings smallest worlds might lead to some fun games but would heavily benefit factions with good early militaries (Necros, Wild Walkers, Drakken) and factions relying on gradually building steam would probably be pretty useless (Broken Lords, Cultists, Morgawr). Still, I'd give it a go if there's others knockin about.

We had a lot of success setting these up in the past, and at Fast game settings we could reliably finish games (at least get them to a decided point) in a single 3-4 hour session.

The early advantage that Necros and others might have at Fast is kind of negated by the fact that it isn't 1-on-1 and people are usually kind of passive in the early game.

I would totally be up for starting these again if we can find a few other interested players in the thread.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Very interested in multiplayer however I am in the UK and often struggle to sync times with most goons.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I would love to MP, but live in Australia, and am part of Endless' core demographic of 30something dads with jobs...

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Tree Bucket posted:

I would love to MP, but live in Australia, and am part of Endless' core demographic of 30something dads with jobs...

This is me exactly

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Im down and currently super unemployed.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Alright, great. I'm in the US but don't mind playing in the middle of the night or early in the morning for Australian dads and British people.

Endless Legend - Make Auriga Great Again

Interested parties:

1. Avasculous - Any time on weekends, any time after 8 PM EST on weekdays
2. Chadzok
3. mitochondritom
4. TreeBucket
5. KirbyKhan
6. ???

Please reply with what times (and in what time zone) work for you. Think 3-4 hour block.

Rules - all DLC through Inferno enabled (only the host needs to own it), Fast game speed, whatever geography, we can decide World difficulty based on player experience.

Don't worry if you haven't played much or at all. These tend to be pretty friendly and casual with people giving advice and joking around in chat- it's actually probably an easier way to learn the game than SP.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Im in the Pacific Time zone. Any time yo. I've put in like 20 hours a long while ago, only ever played the vaulters. So Im a bit green.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

This comment resonates (though, not quite a Dad yet).

Avasculous posted:

3. mitochondritom

Please reply with what times (and in what time zone) work for you. Think 3-4 hour block.

I would say anytime during the week 19.00 > 00.30 BST (British summer time) which is 11.00 > 16.30 PST and at the weekends I could be more flexible say 06.30 > 02.00 BST albeit not in one huge stretch!

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

AEST, I could do Mon-Thurs nights from 9pm onwards, I could do anytime on a Wednesday. I guess I could do an early morning as well, 4am-8am Tuesday or Wednesday. Fri-Sun is where my work is mostly so I'll have to avoid those altogether. Timezones confuse me, if someone else takes point on that front I'll drug the children and start concocting elaborate lies to the missus.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The Weabirds are really well done, music is nice and they feel thematic and their design is better than ES1 for sure. Being a small birb empire holding off waves of Cravers feels cool and good.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Flipswitch posted:

The Weabirds are really well done, music is nice and they feel thematic and their design is better than ES1 for sure. Being a small birb empire holding off waves of Cravers feels cool and good.

Restoring worlds from depleted using Economic Behemoths is also super cool and good. Great expack.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I've got a busier than usual couple of weeks coming up. For now, i could manage 9pm onwards on saturday Australian Eastern. Which doesn't fit super well with everyone else, sorry....

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Well this is a clusterfuck.
Interested parties:

1. Avasculous - EST, Any time after 8 PM on weekdays, any time Weekends
2. Chadzok - AEST, 9 PM - ? Mon-Thursday, 4 AM-8 AM Tuesday, Anytime Wednesday
3. mitochondritom - BST, 19:00 - 0:30 Weekdays, 18:30 - 2:00 Weekends
4. TreeBucket - AEST, 9 PM onwards on Saturday
5. KirbyKhan - PST, Anytime
6. ???

I didn't really appreciate the fact that US - GB - Aus meant that unavoidably, at least one of us is playing in the middle of the (work)day, one of us is playing in the godforsaken hours of the morning, and one of us is playing at a normal time in the evening.

So far for options, I've got:
Tuesday/Wednesday: Mitochondritom 7 PM, KirbyKhan 11 AM, Chadzok 4 AM, gently caress Avasculous and TreeBucket

Saturday: mitochondritom 7 PM, Avasculous 2 PM, KirbyChan 11 AM, gently caress TreeBucket and Chadzok

Saturday: Avasculous : 7 AM, KirbyKhan: 5 AM (any time, really?), TreeBucket 9 PM, gently caress Chadzok and mitochondritom

Obviously I want to include everyone, but I don't see any options that get even 4 of the 5 of us.

So let's see if a couple more people chime in or a couple of us get fired or abandoned by our families. Ideally, maybe we'll get 2 groups playing at different times.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Avasculous posted:

Interested parties:

6. ???

I didn't really appreciate the fact that US - GB - Aus meant that unavoidably, at least one of us is playing in the middle of the (work)day, one of us is playing in the godforsaken hours of the morning, and one of us is playing at a normal time in the evening.

Tuesday/Wednesday: Mitochondritom 7 PM, KirbyKhan 11 AM, Chadzok 4 AM, gently caress Avasculous and TreeBucket

Saturday: mitochondritom 7 PM, Avasculous 2 PM, KirbyChan 11 AM, gently caress TreeBucket and Chadzok

Saturday: Avasculous : 7 AM, KirbyKhan: 5 AM (any time, really?), TreeBucket 9 PM, gently caress Chadzok and mitochondritom

Obviously I want to include everyone, but I don't see any options that get even 4 of the 5 of us.

So let's see if a couple more people chime in or a couple of us get fired or abandoned by our families. Ideally, maybe we'll get 2 groups playing at different times.

I will accept a 5AM Saturday start time if one of you gives me a wake up call using my foreal phone number. I will reciprocate the call at (your local) 5AM randomly in the future. PM for digits if you want that hanging over your head.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Avasculous posted:

Interested parties:

6. ???

I am happy to bail for the common good- I have a crazy 2-3 weeks coming up.
Looking forward to reading some post-battle reports from everyone else though!

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Its a shame that there isn't a PBEM mode like in Age of Wonders III, though my experience with those has always been fairly poor with lots of flakes. Currently, either of the Saturday options are great for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

I don't tend to know my weekend plans until midway through the week but if I'm free I'd like to join in on any Sat/Sun games. UK goon but I'll probably be free all day or not at all.