Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Rex-Goliath posted:

the other thing is each of the environments is just packed to the gills with memorable charm that anything else just fails to hold up. like most games have one or two areas that are forgettable but every single area just grips you in its own way. hopefully this isn’t lightning in a bottle and the team manages to keep up the good work but they’ve seriously set a high bar for themselves.

I mean, Fog Canyon is kinda just there.

kind of the magmoor caverns in metroid prime problem, it is a little too obvious that this area is Corridor Between Two Other Areas (with lategame annex)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
I like all the areas atmospherically except Queen's Gardens, which is p much just Greenpath Except Bullshit.

Also Hallownest seems like it was built for the nobility to the exclusion of everyone else, so gently caress 'em tbh.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

its insane to me that not only is this game better than most others, its also cheaper. just a ridiculously good get no matter your perspective

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hollow Knight is only one of the best games created in recent times*

*possibly ever

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
In terms of value for money this is probably one of the best games ever sold

I Said No posted:

I like all the areas atmospherically except Queen's Gardens, which is p much just Greenpath Except Bullshit.

Also Hallownest seems like it was built for the nobility to the exclusion of everyone else, so gently caress 'em tbh.

It is kind of odd that Hallownest would end up being a kind of crappy society with greedy rich fuckers exploiting everyone else. I mean the king was basically an inscrutable cosmic entity/god, it hardly seems like he was interested in amassing wealth and being decadent as gently caress.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I thought the king got so obsessed with the whole Hollow Knight vessel experiments that he locked himself away and let the City of Tears pretty much run itself. Which is probably how it ended up like it did.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

skasion posted:

In terms of value for money this is probably one of the best games ever sold

I'm not sure if it's enough to overthrow the current king of that title, The Orange Box, but the fact it's even close is a testament to it.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Broken Cog posted:

I thought the king got so obsessed with the whole Hollow Knight vessel experiments that he locked himself away and let the City of Tears pretty much run itself. Which is probably how it ended up like it did.

He was obsessed with the vessels, but because he needed to stop the Radiance invading everyone's dreams and spreading the infection. "No cost too great..." and all that. But yeah he did pretty much disappear to do it, though we still don't know what happened between the scene at the end of the PoP, the Hollow Knight's sealing, and the King appearing to be dead on his throne in the White Palace...which, is it even the real White Palace, or a memory within that Kingsmould??? :iiam:

e: One of the lines cut from my av for space/spoilers, is "You shall seal the blinding light that plagues their dreams." which is said to the Hollow Knight as the Knight climbs up out of the abyss during the Birthplace scene.

I...have spent a lot of time reading the Hollow Knight wiki, and playing this goddamn amazing game.

reitetsu fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Aug 4, 2018

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

skasion posted:

It is kind of odd that Hallownest would end up being a kind of crappy society with greedy rich fuckers exploiting everyone else. I mean the king was basically an inscrutable cosmic entity/god, it hardly seems like he was interested in amassing wealth and being decadent as gently caress.

I think it's less that it became a decadent society and more that the City of Tears best weathered the deprecation that followed after the King's disappearance.

Barely anyone in the game has a single bad thing to say about Hallownest, aside from the maggots (understandably) and the Hunter (who thought it was too nice and making the bugs soft).

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The main thing about this game is that its world is just exceptionally well-designed. Much of it is truly nonlinear, but unlike, say, Link Between Worlds (which I love), it doesn't feel obviously so. I was blown away when I talked to my brother and realized he had gone to places and things in a completely different order than I had, because my progression felt so natural. It was a "wait, you can go THERE without doing THIS first??"

The game gives you freedom but more importantly is expertly designed to lead you toward goals with the level design and signposting. It's remarkable how many things in this game are hidden away, but the designers did such a good job leading you there that you'll likely stumble upon most of them with a satisfying "I found this!" feeling.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.
drat it, I was so excited to take a flower across the street on my second try that I forgot to give one to Elderbug, and I totally forgot that the Mourner disappears. :(

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Rex-Goliath posted:

I'm not sure if it's enough to overthrow the current king of that title, The Orange Box, but the fact it's even close is a testament to it.

Once upon a time you could buy New Vegas Ultimate Edition for $2.50.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Coming in here a year late since I recently got it on switch to say that the White Palace isn't very hard

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I just got the good ending and am at 100% although I'm missing like, two charms and some dlc bosses and I think a spell upgrade. Would that make up the remaining 7%?

The true boss/ending are very well done and satisfying. It's kind of funny how this game reveals itself to be a secret Shin Megami Tensei game at the last second.

Also I got all the grubs and what happens after might actually be the most upset I've been at a game moment ever. It's not fair. They're so cute and friendly. It's not fair.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
It's a good thing. The grubs are alive and happy.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Given that the 20-hour 100 achievement has leeway in what you can skip I wonder if Team Cherry will add a sadistic trophy which asks you to get 110, fill out the bestiary, beat the path of pain, and do it all on a speed run and permadeath mode, just to gently caress with people.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

I poked my head into NKG again and...decided that the best thing to do was to load up on mask buffing charms and just work on learning how to dodge him. gently caress, he's fast.

I hope Gods & Glory also has the ability to just fight old bosses straight up, in addition to boss rush, I'd like to face Grimm again some day. Who am I kidding I'm going to play this game so many more times I'll get there eventually

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

NKG is my favourite boss in a game with many very good bosses.

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Tender Bender posted:

I just got the good ending and am at 100% although I'm missing like, two charms and some dlc bosses and I think a spell upgrade. Would that make up the remaining 7%?

The true boss/ending are very well done and satisfying. It's kind of funny how this game reveals itself to be a secret Shin Megami Tensei game at the last second.

Also I got all the grubs and what happens after might actually be the most upset I've been at a game moment ever. It's not fair. They're so cute and friendly. It's not fair.

Given the name of the achievement and the charm you get, it seems like the Grubfather is doing some sort of incubating so all the grubs can move on to the next stage of their lives as Grubberflies.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Arrhythmia posted:

It's a good thing. The grubs are alive and happy.

This is my favorite thing people argue about in this thread.

You're 100% right, the achievement is literally called "Metamorphosis" and you can hear their happy little noises. People just want everything to be edgy despite it not really fitting the tone of the rest of the game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also the grubs are clearly skilled tunnelers because they quickly dig away when you free them, so it makes absolutely no sense that all fourty of them would sit and wait to be eaten one by one while they're still alive?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

All of you and your naivety will allow that vicious killer to strike again.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Your Computer posted:

This is my favorite thing people argue about in this thread.

You're 100% right, the achievement is literally called "Metamorphosis" and you can hear their happy little noises. People just want everything to be edgy despite it not really fitting the tone of the rest of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGPI76PVjnw

This has all the sounds they make, with metamorphosis at the end, and... I dunno, they really don't sound very happy.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I somehow got to the crystal mines and bullshitted my way to what I think is a separate area and found a weird moth thing and then got a dream nail? Then some dream warrior murdered me after I couldn't get through a door. Goodbye souls, I doubt I can make it back to you.
I love this game.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

There's a way to get your soul back without going to collect it. A very smelly way

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Ok I beat the soul master and found the royal waterways. New plan is to explore crystal peak or deep nest. Both are scary but deep nest seems scarier. Also what are the 3 new markers on my map from getting dream nail? Boss locations?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

RC Cola posted:

Ok I beat the soul master and found the royal waterways. New plan is to explore crystal peak or deep nest. Both are scary but deep nest seems scarier. Also what are the 3 new markers on my map from getting dream nail? Boss locations?

They're the three objectives you need to claim to progress. It'll take you most of the game.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

They're the three objectives you need to claim to progress. It'll take you most of the game.

Got it. Also is there a double jump? If so what region is it in?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

RC Cola posted:

Got it. Also is there a double jump? If so what region is it in?

There is, down near the bottom of the map. Ancient Basin

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

people way overthink the grub thing. they get eaten and it's funny and the achievement name is a joke

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

romanowski posted:

people way overthink the grub thing. they get eaten and it's funny and the achievement name is a joke

Actually you way underthink it.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Ok so I beat The mantis lords a while ago and came back to the mantis village for the first time since and realized they are all docile and bowing to me now.
Game is so cool and I was able to fully explore it now and found a bench yay

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

Mymla posted:

Actually you way underthink it.

Seriously. This game has a good deal of humor, but none of it is edgy for the sake of being edgy. Claiming that the achievement name and charm description (and appearance) are just mean-spirited jokes just doesn't jive with the rest of the game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It's not being edgy. Bugs eat each other all the time in this game.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Regy Rusty posted:

It's not being edgy.

I mean, it is, when all evidence points towards the opposite being true.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
What do people think of Willow the tall bug or that weird laughing lady in the city? Bugs eat each other and can be cruel in Hallownest

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mymla posted:

I mean, it is, when all evidence points towards the opposite being true.

There's at least one other quest where your actions lead to someone getting eaten, let alone all the Hunter's text, and the poor maggots.

Hallownest is a rough place to live.

E: I'm not trying to like "prove" that the outcome wasn't a good one, if people think it is that's fine. But I think it's very silly to act like somehow the other interpretation is edgy or not fitting with the rest of the game.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's so much I like about the NPCs in this game, from the hardworking Stag, to the cheery Jiji, to the way that all the mantises just stop attacking and bow to you when you defeat their lords. Poor Myla though... :(

I cleared out the crystal caves and got the basic lordsoul schpiel and the dreamblade. That may open quite a few opportunities, but for now, there's only the few areas that I've been dreading going to left to explore: The keyhole in the city and the deep nest past the mantises. I explored the Fog Cavern, and was...unimpressed with the spell I got out of it, and found an area up, above Greenpath with no name or map, but I poked around and couldn't find anymore paths in it, so I don't know what's going on with that. For now I'm gonna bash my head against the Mawlek for a while and see if I can get anywhere with that. Can't quite figure out how to avoid his mass spit yet.

Also I met my first mimic, and it seriously freaked me out. Especially since I was just thinking how it wouldn't really be that out of place for grandpa caterpillar to turn into a boss at some point. That room is so drat ominous.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Try going back to the beginning of the game. And then keep going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's so much I like about the NPCs in this game, from the hardworking Stag, to the cheery Jiji, to the way that all the mantises just stop attacking and bow to you when you defeat their lords. Poor Myla though... :(

I cleared out the crystal caves and got the basic lordsoul schpiel and the dreamblade. That may open quite a few opportunities, but for now, there's only the few areas that I've been dreading going to left to explore: The keyhole in the city and the deep nest past the mantises. I explored the Fog Cavern, and was...unimpressed with the spell I got out of it, and found an area up, above Greenpath with no name or map, but I poked around and couldn't find anymore paths in it, so I don't know what's going on with that. For now I'm gonna bash my head against the Mawlek for a while and see if I can get anywhere with that. Can't quite figure out how to avoid his mass spit yet.

Also I met my first mimic, and it seriously freaked me out. Especially since I was just thinking how it wouldn't really be that out of place for grandpa caterpillar to turn into a boss at some point. That room is so drat ominous.

The spell you got out of fog canyon is actually really good, it deals a ton of damage so if you're ever in a fight where something's above you it absolutely shreds them.

In my no nail upgrades, no black spells, no life/soul upgrades run that I'm doing that spell did absolute work against the Soul Tyrant