Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I was worried about my b team having less jp than my a team for the final stretch.

It is no longer an issue.

Just hit that 100 cait?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Jesus Christ what, how? Is that what happens when you BG spam a fight with caits or something?

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

JPx100 on Ophilias chapter 4 boss. I also had the skill that increases jp gain.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

JPx100 on Ophilias chapter 4 boss. I also had the skill that increases jp gain.

So you got JP x100.5.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Beat the post-game bosses. Spent way too much time prepping, but it paid off since I had a challenging time yet was never in any real danger of wiping.

Weird to be done after 80+ hours. What a fantastic game overall, I just freaking love the world-building and how every character gets fleshed out. Of course, now I can finally move on to other stuff, but I don't want to.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Zoran posted:

So you got JP x100.5.

I'm not sure how the math works but I assume the x100 is applied last.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

I'm not sure how the math works but I assume the x100 is applied last.

I'd guess. It's a base 1000 jp. Base * 100 + base *.5
*.5 for the normal jp skill boost

Never tried bewildering on a boss, assuming I would screw myself. But hell if they are red and dancers sitting with nothing to do I'll take a shot next time.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Aug 5, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Mega64 posted:

Beat the post-game bosses. Spent way too much time prepping, but it paid off since I had a challenging time yet was never in any real danger of wiping.

Weird to be done after 80+ hours. What a fantastic game overall, I just freaking love the world-building and how every character gets fleshed out. Of course, now I can finally move on to other stuff, but I don't want to.

What level and how much gear grinding?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Bombadilillo posted:

What level and how much gear grinding?

High 60's, a couple characters hitting 70 since that's what the thread recommended.

I didn't really grind for gear, though I did all side-quests and did buy/steal everything I could, including every piece of Battle-Tested gear. I didn't grind for more of them, though.

Honestly the big thing for me was having Saving Grace on every single character, especially if you use Alfyn and can heal everyone to 9999HP with his Divine + Concoct. Otherwise, Patience on as many people as I could justify, Break Damage Limit on my main damage dealers, and Physical/Elemental Augments on those who'd use them.

For a bit more specifics, you definitely want at least one healer on each team, whether splitting up Alfyn/Ophelia or having a sub-Cleric. You'll likely want one dedicated healer, one support character, and two damage dealers, though Alfyn's presence gives a good bit of leeway.

First fight has adds, but they're kinda weak so this is the better fight for your single-target fighters. I went Thief Alfyn, Runelord Tressa, Cleric Cyrus, and Warmaster H'aanit. Warmaster Divine can destroy the adds, and with two wind-boosting items Tressa does great damage with her attacks. Cyrus either heals or breaks shields, and Alfyn heals or buffs.

The second fight is probably the tougher one, since you have much beefier extras and they have nastier gimmicks like blocking all magic. I went Sorcerer Primrose, Apothecary Therion, Hunter Ophelia, and Starseer Olberic. You definitely want a combination of Dancer and Starseer to prevent the various parts from buffing each other. Otherwise, Cleric Divine on Primrose to do sick-nasty damage, while Therion almost exclusively threw items, mainly Pomegranates to keep those sick boosts going.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Alfyn chapter 3: It's a really interesting disconnect to have these people preaching about letting a thief and killer die, when Alfyn is literally traveling with a career criminal and helped Primrose murder her boss.

But maybe that's the whole point?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Some Numbers posted:

Alfyn chapter 3: It's a really interesting disconnect to have these people preaching about letting a thief and killer die, when Alfyn is literally traveling with a career criminal and helped Primrose murder her boss.

Was waiting for the banter in that chapter and it never came.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Are the nuts permanent or temporary stat boosts? I've been hoarding them since the beginning of the game and am about to start everyone's final chapters. Wondering if they're worth anything

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Are the nuts permanent or temporary stat boosts? I've been hoarding them since the beginning of the game and am about to start everyone's final chapters. Wondering if they're worth anything

Permanent

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I was worried about my b team having less jp than my a team for the final stretch.

It is no longer an issue.

Remember though Bewildering Grace is never worth it

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Huh, guess I should fill those out then

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I'm doing some JP grinding with my A team and every time I've tried using BG it's either debuffed me or done some weird thing that's one-shot the monsters.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
oh whoa I wasn't even sure how to use nuts, i thought they were an in-battle thing initially and just temp but never saw them in the menu

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You probably don't need them, I didn't bother using them until the post-game bosses.

But at the same time, if you have 'em, might as well use 'em on your favorites.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Hahahahaha, I just found the bad guy from Tressa's Chapter 2 in Bolderfall! I bought a super strong weapon off him with Tressa, he said "do you have any idea how much you cost me?!" and she responded with her trademark "always looking for a bargain!"

Tressa rules.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Some Numbers posted:

Hahahahaha, I just found the bad guy from Tressa's Chapter 2 in Bolderfall! I bought a super strong weapon off him with Tressa, he said "do you have any idea how much you cost me?!" and she responded with her trademark "always looking for a bargain!"

Tressa rules.

There's a postgame quest for Ophilia where you have to steal/buy a flower from a child to give to another kid. If you buy the flower with Tressa, the kid says "But that's mine!" and Tressa just ignores him, always looking for a bargain!

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

I love the idea of just stealing it instead. It's been cracking me up this whole game through to have Therion steal everything from everyone, including folks the good characters are trying to help, constantly spouting off these dickhead lines about how they're not going to miss their candy or armor or whatever.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

There's a postgame quest for Ophilia where you have to steal/buy a flower from a child to give to another kid. If you buy the flower with Tressa, the kid says "But that's mine!" and Tressa just ignores him, always looking for a bargain!

Yep, I did that too because my steal rate was 3%

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Some Numbers posted:

Are you really equating Primrose killing off a murderous and abusive criminal syndicate-connected pimp, or even Therion's general thieving, with a bandit who murders freely and attacks innocent people because gently caress you give me your stuff? :chloe:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Are you really equating Primrose killing off a murderous and abusive criminal syndicate-connected pimp, or even Therion's general thieving, with a bandit who murders freely and attacks innocent people because gently caress you give me your stuff? :chloe:

I was early in the chapter, so I didn't know that he was an irredeemable scumbag, but even then, it seems like to the people of Saintsbridge, Therion would be irredeemable too.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Some Numbers posted:

I was early in the chapter, so I didn't know that he was an irredeemable scumbag, but even then, it seems like to the people of Saintsbridge, Therion would be irredeemable too.

That dude was absolutely ridiculous. He literally could not go two minutes without holding a knife to a child's neck. Like immediately upon waking up, didn't even bother getting breakfast, didn't wait to see what his new friend was going to do, just hey let me take a little stroll and AHA GRAB THIS KID ILL KILL HIM I SWEAR I WILL

I also just tried Primrose's Ch4 boss and gently caress that was not fair at all. I'm not a fan of having to know the boss's strategy in advance to stand a chance. I had 12 silence herbs, blew through every single one and eventually died with him in the red because I'd spent so many turns healing silence. I don't know if I got unlucky with his weaknesses or what, but I just could not find anything to crack his defenses the last time, either. Really frustrating. :( I'm about to try it again with both my anti-silence accessories equipped and that apothecary passive and I imagine it'll go a lot better. The amount of mass silence he gets was just unreasonable.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

That dude and his giant snake in the Quicksand Caves are such dicks. That battle took me several tries, but the bow you get at the end is pretty shiny.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Jet Jaguar posted:

That dude and his giant snake in the Quicksand Caves are such dicks. That battle took me several tries, but the bow you get at the end is pretty shiny.

Yeah, I did that one twice. First time I killed the guy first and the snake went berserk and attacked three times a turn. I reset and tried again with some sleep prevention and killed the snake first. That was much easier. And yeah, that bow is great.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bombadilillo posted:

I'd guess. It's a base 1000 jp. Base * 100 + base *.5
*.5 for the normal jp skill boost

Never tried bewildering on a boss, assuming I would screw myself. But hell if they are red and dancers sitting with nothing to do I'll take a shot next time.

Man I'd probably do it when the boss is white since you really don't want to trigger 'heal boss to full'.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

About halfway through Chapter 2 stories and pretty sure this is where I'd put them.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

ullerrm posted:

About halfway through Chapter 2 stories and pretty sure this is where I'd put them.

Oh wow, this is fantastic.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Tressa's slightly towards the ordering of a single black coffee, as she is always looking for a bargain!!

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Remember though Bewildering Grace is never worth it

Actually BG is great and I get an exciting rush waiting to see if I'll heal a boss back to full health, barely survive an attack with a fully poisoned team, or get a small exp/jp boost. It makes the game so much better. I'm not joking, I love that random aspect.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

My favorite use involved it taking every party member to 1 hp and then setting off an explosion. Complete wipe. The end! No moral.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ullerrm posted:

Olberic rams the car into the restauraunt and starts stabbing the nearest cashier.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I just finished the first circuit of L1 cities and got everyone. Should I do another circuit and do all of the side places that I didn't do, or just go straight to the second ring of cities and chapter 2's? I just got to one of the cities in the second ring. Also I heard about bosses taking 20-50 minutes and it seems to me from what I've played so far, that if a boss takes that long you might be underlevelled. Am I hilariously wrong?

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Its kinda fun after you do every sidequest and beat the game to rampage around towns as olberic.

The stuff the injured NPC's say is fantastic.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

redreader posted:

I just finished the first circuit of L1 cities and got everyone. Should I do another circuit and do all of the side places that I didn't do, or just go straight to the second ring of cities and chapter 2's? I just got to one of the cities in the second ring. Also I heard about bosses taking 20-50 minutes and it seems to me from what I've played so far, that if a boss takes that long you might be underlevelled. Am I hilariously wrong?

You can easily start the second ring if you like, the first ring is probably pretty unnecessary.

I don't think bosses should take over half an hour, tops.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Meanwhile, behind them...

https://twitter.com/BDFF_OFFICIAL/status/1026383400469295104

Bravely _____ posted:

We've already announced it, but...

Octopath Traveler, 1 million units shipped!

Thank you!

Now, now...

Please look forward to the next Square-Enix 11BD games m_ _m!
(11BD is Business Division 11, the Octopath and Bravely studio)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Kins posted:

Meanwhile, behind them...

https://twitter.com/BDFF_OFFICIAL/status/1026383400469295104
(11BD is Business Division 11, the Octopath and Bravely studio)

I knew it had to be intentional :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What does m__m mean?