Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manxome Foe
Apr 6, 2005

Beware the Jabberwock, my son! The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
I want so very much to play this game again. I downloaded it, decided I wanted to play a Captain, killed two wolves, and instantly lost all will to play. I feel like it'll take forever to level and get to a point where I can actually play with other people :-(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

extra stout posted:

Seems I missed you but I've got you on my friends list for next time

I caught an officer online a few hours ago and got in. Thanks, though.

e: Weird, my hunter is still in the kin from ages ago, too. Pre-server transfer.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 27, 2018

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I had a hankering for some Middle Earth adventure so I jumped back in. Had enough mtx coins left around for the High Elf race so I made one of those. It feels... canonically tenuous to play a character that was buddy-buddy with Gil-Galad. Only like half a dozen elves remain in Middle Earth that have beheld the light of Valinor right? I guess 'the Nazgul stabbed all the power out of you' justifies why you're adventuring at level 1 and such.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

SettingSun posted:

I had a hankering for some Middle Earth adventure so I jumped back in. Had enough mtx coins left around for the High Elf race so I made one of those. It feels... canonically tenuous to play a character that was buddy-buddy with Gil-Galad. Only like half a dozen elves remain in Middle Earth that have beheld the light of Valinor right? I guess 'the Nazgul stabbed all the power out of you' justifies why you're adventuring at level 1 and such.

IIRC none of the background options in character creation actually require or suggest that you have been in Valinor. But yes, canonically tenuous is a good way to put it. :p

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 27, 2018

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

bear is driving! posted:

I want so very much to play this game again. I downloaded it, decided I wanted to play a Captain, killed two wolves, and instantly lost all will to play. I feel like it'll take forever to level and get to a point where I can actually play with other people :-(

If you don't have the will to kill innumerable enemies over and over again, this is not the game for you.

That said, at level 10 you can do the Big Battles, which equalizes everyone's level to 100 so you can group with others.

Alternatively, spring for an Aria of the Valar and get to 115 immediately

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
My first class when the game came out was Captain. How are Captains nowadays ? Is the bowman companion good enough to take down mobs by himself ? I really would like to play a class which only requires a few button presses.

desudrive
Jan 10, 2010

Destroy All Memes

bear is driving! posted:

Try another class? I tried for yeaaaaaaarrs to get into this game with my Captain but it was just so boring to me. After some "soul"-searching with the different classes I ended up on Hunter and actually started having fun. I'm at endgame now but it took me maybe 6 months of casual play to get to Mordor.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
If you're intent on leveling up ASAP for end game, then it's not likely that you're really interested in LotRO in the first place.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Captain is not simple. For simple, do Hunter or Champion.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Minstrel is simple, at least in the early game. Stack Will/Tactical Mastery for gear, press a button to kill a thing. If that button is on cooldown, you also have a second button you can press to kill a thing. For boss enemies, you may wish to press both buttons.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Everything is simple except Warden, everything is easy except Burglar.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Hello Sailor posted:

Minstrel is simple, at least in the early game. Stack Will/Tactical Mastery for gear, press a button to kill a thing. If that button is on cooldown, you also have a second button you can press to kill a thing. For boss enemies, you may wish to press both buttons.

Which buttons? Genuinely curious because I tried a minstrel out and by level 12-15 I had three full bars of abilities and no clue how to actually use them because there seems to be a spiderweb of what abilities affect which other abilities.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Potsticker posted:

Which buttons? Genuinely curious because I tried a minstrel out and by level 12-15 I had three full bars of abilities and no clue how to actually use them because there seems to be a spiderweb of what abilities affect which other abilities.

Call to Fate (initial skill for red line spec) and Piercing Cry (level 4). They each have a 10s cooldown, so you can alternate between them to reduce downtime.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Thanks, I'll check those out.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Oh god, why did I start a second hunter? I haven't even gotten to Rohan on my first one.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
I do that poo poo but with craft skills. I don't need another jeweler, but I have three. Only one is level part expert, though

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

jalapeno_dude posted:

IIRC none of the background options in character creation actually require or suggest that you have been in Valinor. But yes, canonically tenuous is a good way to put it. :p

Yeah, I kind of figured high elf PCs might have been born in the First Age but probably didn’t see Valinor (which on the bright side means no awkward dealing with the whole Kinslaying thing). I liked the origin bit but it was kind of hard for me to take it seriously since I kept devolving into doing the prancy dance in the background of all the serious cutscenes mixed in with doing /mock to the Nazgul (when the Witch King stabbed me I had to allow it was kind of deserved by that point).

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Some more thoughts and questions as I visit this game while waiting for the Warcraft expansion to hit. Starting a hobbit burglar or hunter to try, and getting my guardian through Moria should keep me busy until then.

Minstrel skills jam on whatever instrument they have equipped right? I was thinking all the shouting and guitar trills would get old but I saw a video of a healer using a flute and figured if you can shake it up its not bad.

If a max level group is looking for DPS for dungeons, does that include red line minstrels, guards, wardens etc? Or are they looking for decked out hunters and champs? I know some will be picky and some will be chill, I'm just curious as to the general "meta".

I shelled out the points for the fastest account mount speed in the store, I'm pretty sure it was a bad idea. I spend so much time riding around on all my chars that it was worth it to me though. It sped up my 32% ram in Moria, and the only downside so far is my minstrel couldn't mount until I got out of the tutorial. Speaking of, the Galadriel dream quest was kind of neat, I wish it would get updated to show more of the expansions. A version I found on youtube showed Carn Dum in Angmar and the fellowship at the bridge in Moria. The version I saw added the Rohan throne room but nothing else.

I wish I would have gone to Weatherstock. I think I was running around a grayed out Goblintown on my guardian that day, trying to remember how to play, and didn't realize it was an actual big player capital-e Event.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
You can stick a different instrument to the one you've got equipped into the ranged slot of a cosmetic outfit to change the look and sound of your powers. Also you can use the ingame filter to prevent certain sounds (shouts) from playing

I bought the fastest riding package and have similar feelings to you. It's nice equipping whatever horse without the speed being lower, though. If only it maxed out the HP too

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Hit 107 last night, and I'm getting some gear now that has essence slots.

Is there a way to get any of the newer essences that doesn't involve crafting them myself?

I used to keep the skills up to date, but it became super tedious and boring, and I quit paying attention to them in Gondor at some point.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

xZAOx posted:

Hit 107 last night, and I'm getting some gear now that has essence slots.

Is there a way to get any of the newer essences that doesn't involve crafting them myself?

I used to keep the skills up to date, but it became super tedious and boring, and I quit paying attention to them in Gondor at some point.

At 107 you can't do Mordor dailies or the much better Northern Kingdoms daily quests yet, but the black crates drop all sorts of essence. Until then you can barter ash for cheap essence or even the best essence in game, but it'll be hard to farm a lot of them because you can only run Court of Seregost at level 105 on tier one and again on tier two once a day each.

If you hit 115 before the summer festival comes back Thrang gives 100 ash a day per character and drops the best jewelry in game.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

extra stout posted:

At 107 you can't do Mordor dailies or the much better Northern Kingdoms daily quests yet, but the black crates drop all sorts of essence. Until then you can barter ash for cheap essence or even the best essence in game, but it'll be hard to farm a lot of them because you can only run Court of Seregost at level 105 on tier one and again on tier two once a day each.

If you hit 115 before the summer festival comes back Thrang gives 100 ash a day per character and drops the best jewelry in game.

Thanks - the wiki made it look like they only came from crafting, but found the ash page that them listed.

What are "black crates"? Is that just part of the reward for Mordor / NK dailies?

I read over the CoS page on the wiki, so I have an idea of the fights. People usually fine taking in not-115s into the 105 runs? I see people asking for more for those often.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
Gorgoroth crates are the p2w mechanism that they introduced with Mordor that can only be unlocked with black keys. Yes, you can eventually earn keys doing dailies but you'll get dozens of the crates in Mordor. Maybe I'm just cynical about it.

Until you're at endgame, it makes more sense to craft or buy a lesser essence for a slot. They do make a difference, especially mitigation ones if you're having trouble dying a lot in Mordor. The better ones are only worth a bit more, and you won't need them til you're at 115 anyways

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Glass of Milk posted:

Gorgoroth crates are the p2w mechanism that they introduced with Mordor that can only be unlocked with black keys. Yes, you can eventually earn keys doing dailies but you'll get dozens of the crates in Mordor. Maybe I'm just cynical about it.

Until you're at endgame, it makes more sense to craft or buy a lesser essence for a slot. They do make a difference, especially mitigation ones if you're having trouble dying a lot in Mordor. The better ones are only worth a bit more, and you won't need them til you're at 115 anyways

Yeah, I made it through Mordor on Champ, Hunter and Minstrel without going out of my way for essences, just used whatever I got from drops and quest rewards from Gondor on. Not really worth spending time or materials on until cap imo.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

bagrada posted:

I shelled out the points for the fastest account mount speed in the store, I'm pretty sure it was a bad idea.

Get 25% off now through August 9th:
Select Warsteeds
Riding Skills
Select Mounts
Movement Speed Buffs

.... I knew it.

Ossipago
Nov 14, 2012

Muldoon
I think 25% is the most they ever discount this (someone correct me if I'm wrong) so if you're holding out on buying max mount speed now is a good time.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Is there still no way to swap out imbued legacies aside from pay-to-win? I know you get a few scrolls from years old quests that I've long spent.

It's probably my biggest gripe about the game. They change the dps meta, but no way to fix your legacies through in game without a gently caress ton of grinding to rebuild and unlock all the tiers on a new weapon (just for it to change again).

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

xZAOx posted:

Is there still no way to swap out imbued legacies aside from pay-to-win? I know you get a few scrolls from years old quests that I've long spent.

Looks like Throne drops them - both raid chests and a barter.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

moebius2778 posted:

Looks like Throne drops them - both raid chests and a barter.

Never done a throne raid, heh. Do people do pug raids for it?

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Guess noone knows, heh.

Is anyone in an actual guild on Landy that does stuff? Nazgun has been my home since I started during The Hobbit rush, but after that initial year, all we've ever done is chat to the, at most, 2-3 people that are on. I wouldn't be opposed to a new guild if someone could recommend one that does some casual raid/group poo poo (that didn't conflict with my EQ raiding schedule, heh).

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

xZAOx posted:

Guess noone knows, heh.

Is anyone in an actual guild on Landy that does stuff? Nazgun has been my home since I started during The Hobbit rush, but after that initial year, all we've ever done is chat to the, at most, 2-3 people that are on. I wouldn't be opposed to a new guild if someone could recommend one that does some casual raid/group poo poo (that didn't conflict with my EQ raiding schedule, heh).

That sounds like a reasonable request, hold your breath while I message the top raid leader on Landroval and ask if he can kick a guy and base 11 peoples schedules around a brand new casual raider

On a serious note Thrang is back in like two days and I will be killing his dumb rear end twice a day if you want in for some big loots

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

extra stout posted:

That sounds like a reasonable request, hold your breath while I message the top raid leader on Landroval and ask if he can kick a guy and base 11 peoples schedules around a brand new casual raider

Lol what?

I was just asking if anyone could recommend a guild and wondering what thier raid schedule was. I don't know how you got that I was making demands from my post.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

xZAOx posted:

Lol what?

I was just asking if anyone could recommend a guild and wondering what thier raid schedule was. I don't know how you got that I was making demands from my post.

It'll be hard to find a group still running the level 105 raid, I misread it and figured you guys meant the newer 115 raid abyss of mordath, not throne. People pug throne, I did it twice over again at 115, but you won't see it every week.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Are the modern raids designed better than the old ones? I took a break from Moria to go with a group to Carn Dum and that place was a mess. Some neat stuff but everyone kept getting lost and falling off bridges and leaving the group. It came down to me and a couple high level hunters who then realized they could get what they needed from skirmish camps. The leader volunteered to keep going just for me but said we had 9 bosses to go so I thanked him for the fun and said we're good, and blipped out back to Moria. I spent most of my time fighting with my full loot window trying to decide what was important to keep and didnt see much but bridges and sewage. I did finish a "free the slavers" quest I've had for ~10 years though so that was cool.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
Carn Dum is more of a giant dungeon with bosses than a proper "raid". There are a few bosses in Carn Dum that you would really, really enjoy with a relatively on-level group. Helchgam in particular was a super fun fight back in the day. There's also a place called The Rift you may have heard mentioned, and that technically is a raid instance. I hear that they're splitting it up into a few smaller raids now, and that might be fun to check out too.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
http://www.mmo-central.com/2018/08/07/gencon-2018-interview-lotros-executive-producer-rob-severlin-ciccolini/

quote:

So what we’d like to do is, we’d like to revamp it so that it’s not two separate systems and that it’s easier on the players

(snip)

I think the legendary work revamp will begin probably mid-year? Next… so it’ll be Grey Mountains, then probably like fourth or fifth month next year we’ll probably be looking at doing that? And that will be the beginning of it.

quote:

Yes! Finally, we’re past the back-end work that we had to do which took longer than we thought, and our main engineer, our deep-down engineer is finally back to working on 64-bit.

So we’re going on that, we’re slowly working through that. Right now, I think we’re compiling the physics engine in 64-bit, it’s the big hot topic they’re all working on now.

So we’re finally back on that, thank goodness, because we’re all eager to have a 64-bit client.

Glad to see there's a revamp of the revamp of LIs, heh. A single system would be nice (not that it'd overly affect me since I only have 1 character).

I'd definitely like to see a system that's not the exact same grind for years with literally hundreds of scrolls, gobs of crystals, and the real pain it currently has of switching legacies.

I'm curious what they'll come up with, but I'm not super optimistic. But I'd probably be happy with just a new poo poo sandwich to eat for a few years.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

quote:

MMOC: So, speaking about the dwarves and the fact that Northern Mirkwood included the only named female dwarf in the lore, is there any work or thought given to the notion of allowing players to actually create their version of a female dwarf from character select because we currently can’t do that.

Ciccolini: There is tons of talk about it. We’ve gone back-and-forth wildly about what should it be and what can it be and…

Snook: What already exists and that sort of thing.

Ciccolini: We’re very particular about making sure that if we did allow it, could we do it in a manner that is respectful to the story so we’re definitely going back-and-forth in terms of whether we can do it in a manner that will feel like LotRO. There has been good arguments for both sides, so I don’t want to make the decision for the team by revealing you know whether we’re going to do it or not because I think that I want to let the process go through the entirety before I say anything.

Snook: I want to say that this is one of the most controversial topics of all time on the Lord of the Rings Online forums and I think that really goes to the heart of just how much lore and passion there is on the subject and so we want to make sure we get it right there.
The game is a wobbly interpretation of TLOTR already, and unlike some of the stuff ingame, Tolkien actually talked about lady dwarfs. My friend plays a lady dwarf. Like what's even the issue

I noticed the farmer recipe "shire apple tree" places this huge tree that blocks movement and collides with the camera, I reckon four to eight people could jump someone farming and put them in Huorn jail until they use a milestone

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
P.S. gently caress Talath Urui

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Finally got 115 today. Then.... Finally.... Went and solo'd Gondor warbands and wrapped up old anorien deeds for those two loving trait points.

Noticed I was still missing a trait point, and after a ton of digging, realized I missed like half of a random quest chain from West Rohan that awards one, heh.

Do people have thoughts on northern mirkwood? About to start it. Figure after that I'll still work on allegiances here and there for quest content, but probably won't stress about doing it every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
It's refreshing compared to Mordor. They did a nice job with lake town, and Dale and the dwarves are okay.