Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Avatar, is Turf Wars (the current graphic novel based on the Legend of Korra) any good?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jul 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Anyone remember that Soup2Nuts show O'Grady? I remember it being pretty good. Probably would have had more episodes if it wasn't on The N.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Larryb posted:

Speaking of Avatar, is the Korra comic Turf Wars still going/any good?

:woomy:?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_Korra:_Turf_Wars

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

kidcoelacanth posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a111i-gk_ic

Gumball is completely loving insane in the best ways.

Extremely loving insane.
https://youtu.be/QdwCdexYm4A

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
So listening to the commentary on Gravity Falls, it's really easy to see how Alex and other members of the crew got burned out. Like, there's one conversation he has with Creative Director Mike Rianda in the commentary for Land Before Swine where he mentions that they were both effectively living out of the office during the production of the first season, and in half the episodes they talk about staying up until 4 am or later to work on scripts or polish jokes. The effort they put in clearly shows since Gravity Falls is such a great series, but god drat they practically killed themselves in the process of making it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

"Two other types of bears? Nah, nobody would watch a show like that."

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Gravity Falls Season 1.5 when?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

:stare:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That guy definitely wants to gently caress a muppet.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

¡Terrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
But... she's just a replacement for a different female character, which was just a girl version of Scooter...

Also, when was there a Comicgate too?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So I've started deciphering the codes in the GF book. I've only done the first page of codes so far but I already desperately want a third season now:

On Shmebulock's wall of connections:

WENDY'S MOM: IN ANOTHER DIMENSION?
DIP CLONES PLOT REVENGE?
AGE PARADOX? TIME TRAVEL CONNECTION?
(There's also "SHERMIE!?" written on the wall for some reason but I don't know if that's a cypher or just a name I don't recognize)

The second two messages (or possibly even all three) may be related to each other as the board also features a picture of the Dipper clones with #3 looking noticeably taller than #4. Blendin's picture is also there with a line connecting his photo to the clones (they are also connected to Waddles for some reason).

Oh! And there's also a 4th journal on his bookshelf. I love this comic graphic novel so much.

Reminder: This was written by Alex Hirsch himself so this is all probably canon now :allears:

I'll post more as I have time to uncover it.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jul 31, 2018

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
That's a name you don't recognize

Well my spoiler tags aren't working, go rewatch A Tale of Two Pines.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jul 31, 2018

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

readingatwork posted:

So I've started deciphering the codes in the GF book. I've only done the first page of codes so far but I already desperately want a third season now:

On Shmebulock's wall of connections:

WENDY'S MOM: IN ANOTHER DIMENSION?
DIP CLONES PLOT REVENGE?
AGE PARADOX? TIME TRAVEL CONNECTION?
(There's also "SHERMIE!?" written on the wall for some reason but I don't know if that's a cypher or just a name I don't recognize)

The second two messages (or possibly even all three) may be related to each other as the board also features a picture of the Dipper clones with #3 looking noticeably taller than #4. Blendin's picture is also there with a line connecting his photo to the clones (they are also connected to Waddles for some reason).

Oh! And there's also a 4th journal on his bookshelf. I love this comic graphic novel so much.

Reminder: This was written by Alex Hirsch himself so this is all probably canon now :allears:

I'll post more as I have time to uncover it.

Shermie is Stan and Ford's younger brother, and Dipper & Mabel's grandfather, the paradox thing is because the one time we possibly see Shermie in the show is him as a baby, but since we have relatively good ideas for when most of the events in the show's timeline occur(including what year the show's present is set in), it leads to some awkwardness to the ages of both him and whichever of Dipper & Mabel's parents is his kid

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

El Tortuga posted:

Also, when was there a Comicgate too?

I believe it happened sometime earlier this year but it never took off (thankfully).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, it was met with a pretty solid gently caress OFF.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
As far as I can tell, it was a wholecloth manufactured thing about diversity in Comics.

Trouble (for these assholes) came due to a number of factors:

1. People are a lot more cognizant of alt-right gatherings post-gamergate, so people told them to gently caress off.
2. It came at a horrible time, as it's perceived that DC and Marvel are actually regressing when it's coming to diverse heroes (case in point, Marvel had a notable amount of PoC and Female characters taking up the mantle of their male counterparts. Earlier this year, they pretty much reverted to their original white, male characters).
3. The bulk of the controversy was built against business' rights to carry and drop products. Which as far as I know, that freedom is generally part of the basic platform of most right wing philosophers, especially fringe ones like libertarians.

Namely, it centered around a kickstarter for an Alt-Right friendly comic (read: awful 90's ripoff that is pro Good Guy With Guns) being picked up by a small but notable publisher. The man behind the kickstarter was campaigning to get the book sold in more stores. Rather than doing it the reasonable way, such as getting in contact with the stores and rallying supporters to let their local store know they would like to buy copies, he instead published a list of stores that were not carrying it (a list obtained through underhanded means), and let his twitter followers go wild. Namely, harassment and death threats. This lead to stores cancelling their orders, and the publisher to sever their business relationship. They tried to make it a thing that SJWs working in DC and Marvel was forcing retailers hands, but generally their word didn't hold much weight compared to the overwhelming evidence against them.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
The codes in chapter 1 of the GF book is pretty much all jokes so there's not much to dig into today. Disapointingly, chapter 2 didn't have any at all, likely because it was all guest art and they didn't want to complicate the writing process.

Mr. What's-his-face journal entry:
HE ALWAYS HAS AN ACE UP HIS SLEEVE AND A FACE UP HIS SLEEVE
IF HE GETS MY FACE, STANLEY HAS A SPARE!

Paranormal Black market wall:
TREMBLY WUZ HERE

The Cawlspace journal entry:
PUTS THE BIZARRE IN BAZAAR
FREAKYS DELIVERY SERVICE

Market wall (again):
WHILE U READ THIS I PICKED UR POCKET

Also it's not a code, but the memory seller in the paranormal black market is selling a memory tube of someone named "Rick S.". Whoever that could be.
:thunk:

drrockso20 posted:

Shermie is Stan and Ford's younger brother, and Dipper & Mabel's grandfather, the paradox thing is because the one time we possibly see Shermie in the show is him as a baby, but since we have relatively good ideas for when most of the events in the show's timeline occur(including what year the show's present is set in), it leads to some awkwardness to the ages of both him and whichever of Dipper & Mabel's parents is his kid

God dammit, yeah I totally forgot about that.

YggiDee posted:

That's a name you don't recognize

Well my spoiler tags aren't working, go rewatch A Tale of Two Pines.

Done! It's still good!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Finished Chapters 3 and 4. Here's what I found:

Chapter 3:
Front of inter-dimensional truck (again):
THE AXOLOTL IS MY COPILOT
I DIDNT VOTE FOR BILL

Chapter 4:
Jersey Devil book entry:
IT CAME FROM A STRANGE RIP AND LANDED IN THE PINE BARRENS

Copyright page:
A FANDOM'S WORK IS NEVER DONE/SO HERE'S SOME TALES JUST FOR FUN/YOU WANTED MORE?/YOU GOT YOUR WISH/DON'T STRESS-IT'S ONLY CANON-ISH

Observations:
There is a Steven Universe Mabel hidden in among the others in one panel.
The last pages have a key to Bill's font hidden on it so you don't have to go digging through the internet for those if you're a casual reader.

I didn't find the "big secret" though so I searched the internet and discovered that there were like a bajillion codes I missed. These include:

Chapter 1
On Blind Eye guy's cart:
JOIN OUR REMEMBERERS CLUB

On Barrel near Dipper:
WHERE'S YOUR AXOLOTL NOW!?

On wall behind Dipper, Pacifica and the cyclops in :
DO NOT SELL TO BLENDIN

Behind Dipper:
FOR A GOOD TIME CALL SHMEBULOCK

Chapter 2
On some gravestones:
BILL LIVES
(Shame on me for missing this one!)

Chapter 3
Inside Bus:
THESE QUARKS DON'T RUN

In case you're wondering Axolotl is a kind of salamander creature. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axolotl

Also the Bill thing won't surprise anyone who was obsessing over the secrets/codes while the series was airing. Before Stan's memory got wiped Bill said a backwards phrase along the lines of "I invoke the ancient right so that I may return!". Which also explains why Stan got his memory back almost immediately.

I am bad at children's comic books I guess.

As for the actual Big Secret I actually missed it entirely. To find it:

You need to find the code text LVRMO-BOM-JVOSTCID hidden on the "table of contents" page in Ch1 along with 4 other hidden codes that translate and combine to form the phrase "TO CATCH A SPIDER SEARCH THE WEB".

That first code is actually a bitch to decipher but some industrious individuals figured out that it translates to "SHMEB-YOU-UNLOCKED". When you search for it in Google (you have to dig for a bit since everyone's posting about it now) you eventually will find this page: https://partners.disney.com/shmeb-you-unlocked

I haven't even begun to touch the site yet because there's only so many hours in the day. This loving franchise man...

E: The entry on Anti-Mabel is pretty great. I want an entire season set in that dimension now.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Aug 2, 2018

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

https://twitter.com/cartoonnetwork/status/1024046239627784193

Griffin is adorable

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Schmor(k)by

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The new mega man show debuted this morning on CN. It was very much a Saturday morning cartoon...except it was shown on Sunday.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I tried watching that new Ninja Turtles show twice but I couldn’t get through either episode. That art is ugly.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Maybe Andy Suriano's style is an acquired taste. Then again it doesn't feel too different from artstyles of the more well regarded shows that Suriano has worked on on (Samurai Jack, both the original run and season 5, Symbionic Titan, and the recent Mickey Mouse shorts)

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

After going in with very low expectations I really liked the first episode, sadly I can't watch any more then that because Nick's website takes every internet provider imaginable except Comcast, which has to be intentional.

Edit: Of Rise of TMNT, to be clear.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

I loved Sym-Bionic Titan and Samurai Jack, so I’m thinking that’s not so much the case.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

After going in with very low expectations I really liked the first episode, sadly I can't watch any more then that because Nick's website takes every internet provider imaginable except Comcast, which has to be intentional.

Edit: Of Rise of TMNT, to be clear.

Nickelodeon’s website/app won’t accept any IPTV provider logins besides DirectTVNow. Same with Cartoon Network, though all the content that would be unlocked with a cable login is available on demand through SlingTV’s app so it’s not as big of an issue.

It’s annoying that the only way I can rewatch Korra would be to buy the DVDs/BluRays.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Nickolodeon's stupid provider service was why I stopped watching the CG TMNT entirely.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Huh, I remember back when I had cable, my provider was in a spat with Viacom and was threatening to drop them. I guess they finally did it.

Kind of a little window into how the cable companies are trying to kill themselves rather than provide a better service. Joke's on us though, since they're also the internet providers and still have the cartel dedicated to being terrible.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah, sure, the joke's on us. There sure aren't any alternatives to watch cartoon online.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

Nickelodeon’s website/app won’t accept any IPTV provider logins besides DirectTVNow. Same with Cartoon Network, though all the content that would be unlocked with a cable login is available on demand through SlingTV’s app so it’s not as big of an issue.

It’s annoying that the only way I can rewatch Korra would be to buy the DVDs/BluRays.

Wait, CN won't accept anything but Direct? I watched something off Adult Swim's site just a couple of weeks ago and I've got AT&T (I assume AS and CN have the same policies regarding streaming).

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TwoPair posted:

Wait, CN won't accept anything but Direct? I watched something off Adult Swim's site just a couple of weeks ago and I've got AT&T (I assume AS and CN have the same policies regarding streaming).

Adult Swim & Cartoon Network do have some content accessible without a cable login.

Also, I was wrong, you can’t authenticate with any internet cable companies. I thought I saw DirectTVNow previously but I no longer do.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Aug 6, 2018

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!
Edit: Nevermind. I should have read better.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Miraculous update! The Family Channel in Canada, until today: "We've got new episodes starting next week, including the two-parter with Chloe's mom!" :toot: The Family Channel in Canada, today: "Ah, no, actually we've been told they're not ready to show yet, and we don't know when they will be. Sorry." :smith:

C'est un grappe de tringler, non?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
So I checked out Miraculous today on a whim (.gif avatars really work). I watching through Netflix, and like, I've only seen the first episode there (Bubbler) and there's no context, no introduction to any of the unique qualities of the setting; it's painfully not the first episode of the show.

Online though, it says it is? So, uh, which is it? In what order should I be watching the episodes?

Also should I be watching in English or French?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Open Source Idiom posted:

So I checked out Miraculous today on a whim (.gif avatars really work). I watching through Netflix, and like, I've only seen the first episode there (Bubbler) and there's no context, no introduction to any of the unique qualities of the setting; it's painfully not the first episode of the show.

Online though, it says it is? So, uh, which is it? In what order should I be watching the episodes?

It specifically wasn't written as the opener (in most countries it aired at the end of season 1), but the two-part 'Origins' shows how Ladybug and Cat got their powers.

The English dub is fine, but definitely watch the French version of the Christmas special when you get to it. Cat's American VA cannot sing... and it's a musical.

There isn't really a set order for the episodes. As long as you watch 'Stormy Weather' and 'Lady Wifi' before 'Evillustrator', 'Pixelator' before 'Guitar Villain', 'Darkblade' and 'Antibug', and 'Simon Says' and 'Volpina' are at the end of the run (the latter leads directly into the opening of season 2) you'll be fine.

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Aug 11, 2018

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Open Source Idiom posted:

P much what Payndz says, though an added caveat if it matters to you: the scripts are actually written in English (its a multinational collaboration and that's the language they all have in common) so its not like you're missing much in translation (they'll change up jokes so they fit whatever language they air in). Also the lip synching is to English. Also you'll want to make sure you watch Puppeteer after Lady WiFi and Evillustrator.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Gaunab posted:

The new mega man show debuted this morning on CN. It was very much a Saturday morning cartoon...except it was shown on Sunday.

I really want this show to be good. I’ve been a huge Mega Man fan since I was a wee lad, and I want this show to both succeed and not be terrible, but the fact that the Ben 10 guys are involved makes me worry.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

I really want this show to be good. I’ve been a huge Mega Man fan since I was a wee lad, and I want this show to both succeed and not be terrible, but the fact that the Ben 10 guys are involved makes me worry.

I've heard it's... alright
not good, not bad, just alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wow, Miraculous won the Teen Choice award for best animated show, beating the usual undead Fox shows (Simpsons, Family Guy, etc), Steven Universe and Rick & Morty. Not bad for a goofy Euro-cartoon that's barely known in the States.