Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Fury Toad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Fury Toad is my favorite post-apocalyptic Wind in the Willows spinoff

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Hey editors, Robert Etoll retired and sold his library for millions of dollars and I’m in the wrong section of this business.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Oh poo poo! It's got Valeria from Conan :swoon:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hey, kids. Like Cars? How about those knockoff Cars the internet love to make videos about? But this time with slightly better budget?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySUK5pYQ0Bk

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgrWtn8kXHE

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

What's George Miller doing now, anyway? Hope we don't have to wait another decade for a Mad Max or hell, anything by him

The Clap
Sep 21, 2006

currently training to kill God

This is some next level poo poo. God drat, what a trailer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DLC Inc posted:

What's George Miller doing now, anyway? Hope we don't have to wait another decade for a Mad Max or hell, anything by him

I think he's had to put his follow-up to Fury Road (Mad Max: War Zone) on indefinite hiatus because of a dispute with Warner Bros.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Hey editors, Robert Etoll retired and sold his library for millions of dollars and I’m in the wrong section of this business.

If it's any consolation, we pass around copies of the Q-Factory library like the town bike. I don't know anyone that's paid for it in years.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gorgeous.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Wow, definitely gonna watch this.

Moonlight was simply fantastic & that trailer gave me goosebumps

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dillbag posted:

If it's any consolation, we pass around copies of the Q-Factory library like the town bike. I don't know anyone that's paid for it in years.

Studios.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I'm there.

If anyone is interested in more Baldwin that doc from last year, I Am Not Your Negro, was phenomenal.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

Studios.

Man I can't even get them to pay for a Basehead license

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

The Clap posted:

This is some next level poo poo. God drat, what a trailer.

Love the Tree of Life reference with the bubble bath.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Oh I didn't even know about this, awesome

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Paper boi paper boi

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Chloe Sevigny's playing Lizzie Borden in Lizzie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A79ziwolkr4

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 4, 2018

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

the_american_dream posted:

Paper boi paper boi

I went and saw Lobby Hero on Broadway and there was this insufferable person sitting in front of me just saying Paper Boi, I love Paper Boi! The entire show. I wanted to freak out

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

I think he's had to put his follow-up to Fury Road (Mad Max: War Zone) on indefinite hiatus because of a dispute with Warner Bros.

Yeah, he has both a Furiosa script and a straight Fury Road sequel script written, but both projects are tied up in legal hell: Miller and his production company sued Warner, saying that they were due a substantial cash bonus for turning in the movie on-time and under budget; WB counter-sued and said that not only did Miller go vastly over-budget, but his contract said he was to make a PG-13 movie that ran for no longer than 100 minutes.

Last I read, both lawsuits are still in the discovery phase and there's no immediate resolution on the horizon.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I showed this to my wife asking her if she wanted to see the trailer for the movie that's going to win best picture. Holy poo poo.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Timby posted:

Yeah, he has both a Furiosa script and a straight Fury Road sequel script written, but both projects are tied up in legal hell: Miller and his production company sued Warner, saying that they were due a substantial cash bonus for turning in the movie on-time and under budget; WB counter-sued and said that not only did Miller go vastly over-budget, but his contract said he was to make a PG-13 movie that ran for no longer than 100 minutes.

Last I read, both lawsuits are still in the discovery phase and there's no immediate resolution on the horizon.

loving Warner Brothers ruining poo poo for everyone. Avaricious cunts.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Timby posted:

Warner are such loving twats. Even the casual film news media reported multiple times that upon visits during principle photography the producers enthusiastically gave Miller more and more money...which can only be interpreted as a renegotiation of a contract. Miller is looking out for his crew of stuntmen and tradesmen who delivered labor in spades, and Warner is grasping at straws to screw them out of their paycheck. Not gonna work.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Obviously wanting to see more Furiosa, and maybe Max also I guess, I'm totally biased. But Fury Road was a big success. Is screwing a director out of a prospected bonus going to net you more money than having him make you two more probable cash cows?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I hope George Miller just makes Rad Max at another studio.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I loved Furiosa, but I'd much rather see another Max movie that explored another corner of that world than something connected to Fury Road. I'm worried that a continuation of her story would be too tired to the Citadel and Joe and continuing a story that I feel was already concluded. But if they went full-on Max with her and just gave us an unrelated story that she happened to be in then I'm more than interested.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 5, 2018

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

If I recall correctly, Furiosa was meant to be a loosely related prequel.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

davidspackage posted:

Obviously wanting to see more Furiosa, and maybe Max also I guess, I'm totally biased. But Fury Road was a big success. Is screwing a director out of a prospected bonus going to net you more money than having him make you two more probable cash cows?

If someone had made a movie that made lots of money and managed to be a mainstream action movie that was so good it got nominated for the Best Picture Oscar (and when's the last time that happened since The Fugitive?), then common sense suggests you'd give them what they want to make another one. Instead, this sounds like short-term greed prevailing over repeated success in the long-term.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Timby posted:

Haha, I was always under the impression that Miller kept Mad Max sparse because he was some prideful genius who would only make a story when lightning struck (because that's his story)

Guess it's suing instead

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Warner are such loving twats. Even the casual film news media reported multiple times that upon visits during principle photography the producers enthusiastically gave Miller more and more money...which can only be interpreted as a renegotiation of a contract. Miller is looking out for his crew of stuntmen and tradesmen who delivered labor in spades, and Warner is grasping at straws to screw them out of their paycheck. Not gonna work.

Studios are just greedy fucks in general, see also Peter Jackson having to sue to get his fair share of Lord of the Rings profits even though they were making money hand over fist from that poo poo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

muscles like this! posted:

Studios are just greedy fucks in general, see also Peter Jackson having to sue to get his fair share of Lord of the Rings profits even though they were making money hand over fist from that poo poo.

Isn't Jackson pretty much responsible for dismantling NZ film unions at this point tho?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Isn't Jackson pretty much responsible for dismantling NZ film unions at this point tho?

Yep. He and Richard Taylor lied about any actual threats of strikes towards The Hobbit (it never really was under any threat), and continue to do so, despite evidence stating otherwise being publicly revealed, which led to the then right-wing government changing the law to destabilise unions in the entertainment industry, and reclassifying "employees" as "independent contractors," which vastly stripped away their employment rights and union access to that field. The newly elected centre-left government is currently in the process of dismantling what is colloquially known as the Hobbit Law.

He did a WWI installation at the national museum in Wellington recently, where it was pretty much "Peter Jackson presents Peter Jackson's World Peter Jackson War Peter Jackson I Experience Peter Jackson" and it loving tanked.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vagabundo posted:

Yep. He and Richard Taylor lied about any actual threats of strikes towards The Hobbit (it never really was under any threat), and continue to do so, despite evidence stating otherwise being publicly revealed, which led to the then right-wing government changing the law to destabilise unions in the entertainment industry, and reclassifying "employees" as "independent contractors," which vastly stripped away their employment rights and union access to that field. The newly elected centre-left government is currently in the process of dismantling what is colloquially known as the Hobbit Law.

He did a WWI installation at the national museum in Wellington recently, where it was pretty much "Peter Jackson presents Peter Jackson's World Peter Jackson War Peter Jackson I Experience Peter Jackson" and it loving tanked.

I knew there was a reason I involuntarily fart every time I read or hear his name.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

If Peter Jackson were more like Sam O'Neill, the world would be a better place.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

If someone had made a movie that made lots of money and managed to be a mainstream action movie that was so good it got nominated for the Best Picture Oscar (and when's the last time that happened since The Fugitive?)

Master and Commander?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I guess that one may count. I wonder about the Lord of the Rings movies now that you've mentioned that, but I lean towards "no" on those.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Vagabundo posted:

Here's Lindsay Ellis talking about how The Hobbit hosed over New Zealand actors, including those who worked on The Hobbit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7t_g5QObs

The other parts are just about how the movies were bad.

Anyway, here's a heist movie with Michael Caine, Jim Broadbent, Michael Gambon, and Ray Winstone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeQAY_9vG8M

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Timby posted:

Master and Commander?

Great movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!

ruddiger posted:

Saw this in front of the First Purge and it looked promising.

Plus I'm a sucker for Zoe Kravitz and Dennis Quaid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac5wrM2uYbk

We have this one for Germany and I've seen it quite a few times now. The genres (road trip, sci-fi, gangster movie and family drama?!) and moods mixed in there make it a really hard sell, but if you're in that narrow group who likes all that stuff it's amazing. One of my favorite's from our line up in 2018. The soundtrack by Mogwai is really good!

It's based on this short btw:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rbdnUZ6UcY