Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

depending on the month i have 0 doubt more people play hots than dota because of the synergy events across blizzard games. the average dota2 player probably plays way more games, but a game of hots is like 2 seconds and is probably the lowest impact moba you can play.

also, i probably wouldn't use twitch viewership as a metric for playerbase. a game like hearthstone is incredibly popular but the streaming scene is pretty dead honestly. ditto for a game like dota vs. league, dota generally had much more impressive twitch numbers during peak competition between the games even though at the time we all knew league had like 10x the playerbase. hots is an ultra casual game and doesn't really have much appeal for the twitch community.

RealFoxy posted:

Their first big hit was World of Warcraft levels of success but I don't think that have the means or talent to expand past that. They'll never be able to duplicate Blizzard's success

they most certainly do have the means (bags of money) and the talent (they've hoovered up an incredible amount of designers, engineers and startup game studios over the years) but they're incredibly mismanaged. pretty much everything they take a shot at gets shut down since they're not interested in trying anything that doesn't feel like a guaranteed LoL-level success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The low impact part can definitely play a part in it, like HotS being able to pick a champ for quick play before you queue makes it way more appealing for casual play. Games lasting about 15-20 minutes also helps. The downside is HotS now has voice chat and is one of the most rage filled MOBAs I've ever played, and I played enough Overwatch to never again want to get yelled at in chat for not being in the voice channel.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Is there a comprehensive guide for the new jungle anywhere? I know jungle usually has the most changes between seasons and I have 3 seasons worth of changes to catch up on.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Radical posted:

depending on the month i have 0 doubt more people play hots than dota because of the synergy events across blizzard games. the average dota2 player probably plays way more games, but a game of hots is like 2 seconds and is probably the lowest impact moba you can play.

also, i probably wouldn't use twitch viewership as a metric for playerbase. a game like hearthstone is incredibly popular but the streaming scene is pretty dead honestly. ditto for a game like dota vs. league, dota generally had much more impressive twitch numbers during peak competition between the games even though at the time we all knew league had like 10x the playerbase. hots is an ultra casual game and doesn't really have much appeal for the twitch community.

they most certainly do have the means (bags of money) and the talent (they've hoovered up an incredible amount of designers, engineers and startup game studios over the years) but they're incredibly mismanaged. pretty much everything they take a shot at gets shut down since they're not interested in trying anything that doesn't feel like a guaranteed LoL-level success.

another thing of dota 2 is that it loving sucks

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Dota owns cause all the characters have 3 abilities that are like "Makes the creeps slightly more visible on the minimap" and "Consume a tree to get a 4% movement speed" and 1 ability (not always the ult) that's like "Choose ur favorite person on your team. For the next minute that person can't be killed and all enemies that try to think about them lose 200 health permanently."

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

League needs more adventurous hero design like DotA and HotS

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Rygar201 posted:

League needs more adventurous hero design like DotA and HotS

You mean you don't like the 16 passives that every hero in league has?!?!?!?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the only thing i miss about dota 2 was stacking up huge minefields with techies and getting the carries to bait gankers into them, apparently you can't really do that anymore

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?

pog boyfriend posted:

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
I gave up on dota2 like two years ago but it's a pretty good game tbh, it's definitely the only moba besides league that I've enjoyed for any lengthy period of time

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

pog boyfriend posted:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

League needs a Cho'Gall, a Murky, and a hero like Lone Druid or Necrolich tbh

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Teemo is League's Murky.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Necrolyte is just a good version of swain

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Necrolyte is just a good version of swain

Nercolich is Visage my dude

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Rygar201 posted:

League needs a Cho'Gall, a Murky, and a hero like Lone Druid or Necrolich tbh

Chogall works in HotS because HotS is the Mario Party of the genre. That game us fun for like a hour or two then you realize Blizzard has no consideration for balance but wants wacky new poo poo. Also every brand new hero is busted as poo poo.

They have neat ideas but it only works in HotS and would be awful anywhere else

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

I'd rather play hots/dota2 than have some of the lovely gimmicks from those games copy/pasted into league

I like that the three major mobas feel unique enough that I can enjoy them all in different ways

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

I'm mostly joking about the heroes that I want ported over but what I do really think league would benefit from is Smoke of Deceit. they can't ever seem to figure out how much Vision they want to be in the game but they already do limited Wards and adding smoke on top of that would be really cool

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Some of the cool dota stuff is just probably going to be harder to do with a game map that is only 66% the size

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Make the map bigger.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Reality Loser posted:

Make the map bigger.

That's the kind of outside the box thinking this game needs

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Dota 2 could have been a great game if it had been an actual Valve game, instead of being a graphical update for the first 2-3 years. I don’t know why they were so obsessed with parity between both versions, because LoL was proof that people were willing to move on to something different.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Mierenneuker posted:

Dota 2 could have been a great game if it had been an actual Valve game, instead of being a graphical update for the first 2-3 years. I don’t know why they were so obsessed with parity between both versions, because LoL was proof that people were willing to move on to something different.

League is easier to play/learn so it caters to a bigger audience. I can see why DotA will slowly die out because it's just so loving hard to learn and the meta changes really fast so it's hard to make in-game learning tutorials.

Super Librarian posted:

I'd rather play hots/dota2 than have some of the lovely gimmicks from those games copy/pasted into league

I like that the three major mobas feel unique enough that I can enjoy them all in different ways

This

Enigma89 fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 5, 2018

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I saw that hot take fresh from the microwave mister.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Enigma89 posted:

League is easier to play/learn so it caters to a bigger audience. I can see why DotA will slowly die out because it's just so loving hard to learn and the meta changes really fast so it's hard to make in-game learning tutorials.

And that is all things they could have changed whilst creating Dota 2! In fact, when I heard that Valve was doing it I knew they could refine it, take the edges off and make it newbie friendlier. And... none of that really happened because they were too busy making a carbon copy. In hindsight it should been a sign back in beta that was Valve was past its prime.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

One of the reasons I'm starting to play League is because Valve has mishandled Dota2 so loving bad. I've really grown to hate Valve over the years seeing how badly things have slipped in terms of quality control and all the ideas they implement and then let become obsolete and unused as soon as a month later. They don't deserve Dota2

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Radical posted:

I get the sense the guys in charge got extremely lucky with league and now are completely out of their depth in terms of actual experience and decision making. I think some of the original interns are leads now within their studio which is pretty funny. Reading Riots glassdoor reviews are hilarious.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

League hit at the right time with the right amount of money. They were one of the first free to play games and its easier than DOTA. It looked and played like garbage for a few years and if it were made today would have tanked hard.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
Also first free to play model I think. And they had free play tests via dota 1 at the time. Just grab hero abilities and randomize so you don't get sued.

Edit whoops just realized I repeated what you said.

Buckwheat Sings fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 6, 2018

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG

Mierenneuker posted:

And that is all things they could have changed whilst creating Dota 2! In fact, when I heard that Valve was doing it I knew they could refine it, take the edges off and make it newbie friendlier. And... none of that really happened because they were too busy making a carbon copy. In hindsight it should been a sign back in beta that was Valve was past its prime.

The beauty of the game is how complex and how flexible it is. Hard to make a tutorial you will have to update as the meta changes.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
You never have to change the tutorial if you never let the meta change.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

pog boyfriend posted:

Holy gently caress

I am genuinely looking forward to the experimental Nexus Blitz mode. Short game times, double jungle, weird gimmicks, gimme all of it.

(as long as it stays separate to SR ofc)

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the last time i played hots for the rewards for overwatch there was a permanently invisible hero that just styled on all of us dipshits who dont play hots, that wasnt a lot of fun tbh

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

It will, and I'm sure you'll have people that break away like Dominion and become weirdo hipsters about it, or a mega weirdo that only plays ARAM

DaStampede
Feb 8, 2018

Servaetes posted:

or a mega weirdo that only plays ARAM

A little aram can be relaxing. Gotta agree with you about strictly aram though.

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Hey idiots stop queueing support and making me get filled adc and feed.

Camel Camus fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Aug 6, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Servaetes posted:

It will, and I'm sure you'll have people that break away like Dominion and become weirdo hipsters about it, or a mega weirdo that only plays ARAM

There was a player in the BR server named Sona Buvelle who only played ARAM and Dominion as Sona. Which means yes, he'd quit ARAM if he didn't get Sona. Also, it goes without saying, but he never ever said a word.

Edit: Apparently he's still at it: http://br.op.gg/summoner/userName=sonabuvelle

Also a girl from my group of friends only played ARAM in LoL and only once in a blue moon played other modes which was a huge waste because we could have finally had filled a 5s teams again with her and she was God's gift to skillshots. I've never seen anyone hit skillshots like her so consistently. Her Morgana had a ludicrous rate of hitting enemy laners with a Q passing through several minions and her Lux max ranged killed people with ults we'd swear were outside of the range. But alas, she graduated to HOTS.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Aug 6, 2018

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

speaking of hitting skillshots :v:

https://plays.tv/s/LqVesLln7cG1

i got six kills with my ult that game, what fun! presence of mind is a perfectly reasonable rune in aram.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

the last time i played hots for the rewards for overwatch there was a permanently invisible hero that just styled on all of us dipshits who dont play hots, that wasnt a lot of fun tbh

They were never completely invisible but you had to rely on a very hard to see shimmer before they engaged on you. It was a pretty dumb mechanic and I’m glad they finally ended up reworking stealth and stealth heroes this year. Now stealth is a translucent ghost when moving around and the old shimmer when standing still for a bit (think Teemo passive). You have to rely on brushes and (lack of) visibility even more. A hero like Nova has somewhat lost her “noob stomper” status.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Aug 6, 2018