Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

when i get rich i'm going to have a room where the walls and ceiling and floor are all gigantic displays, all playing this video on a loop at thunderous volume, forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

when i get rich i'm going to have a room where the walls and ceiling and floor are all gigantic displays, all playing this video on a loop at thunderous volume, forever.

Resume viewing! Resume viewing! Resume viewing!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

everything about this is good

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Experience this, biiiitch

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

The_Doctor posted:

Resume viewing! Resume viewing! Resume viewing!

But anyone who knows what bij is will understand...

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

I think OG Trek succeeds a lot based on the sheer, towering charisma of its cast. Take away that and I think it would have been relegated to being yet another forgotten curiosity of television history.

TOS was the right confluence of poo poo at the perfect time, you can see contemporary space shows try basically the same thing and miss the mark totally because they couldn't nail the formula. Nobody really cares about UFO with Ed Bishop, for example despite being part of the Gerry Anderson canon

(all his shows were terrible just like Irwin Allen, the only reason to watch them was the kickass miniature FX)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Time to bust this out again.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Riker is stuck on a backwater station, Troi is dead, Worf is feuding with Riker, and Data has more than one cat.

Yes, I also thought Imzadi was a fun book.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Picard’s mind is rotting away from space-Alzheimer’s, he and Beverly have gone through a bitter divorce, Geordi is in a loveless marriage with a woman he stalked, Riker is stuck on a backwater station, Troi is dead, Worf is feuding with Riker, and Data has more than one cat.

Woah, Data becomes a Star Trek fan? meta a.f.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Data got heavy into Voltron and does nothing but paint Voltron.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Gonz posted:

the correct reference is "Gunpla"

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Gonz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogFxgtsypBc

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pick posted:

Woah, Data becomes a Star Trek fan? meta a.f.

He said cat, not victim.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I can only assume that kickflip spun up and shot to another point in the spore network.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I really hope that Picard's show is him traveling to different planets and there's some season long mystery with some ancient, galaxy spanning civilization. They already have a rooty tooty point n shooty Star Trek in Discovery, so let's get into some higher level stuff.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

One episode is where Picard spends a weekend on Riza and he just chills out and reads a book and has some drinks and gets some sun.

And nothing else happens. He deserves that.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I just watched “The Measure of a Man” and was reminded of how amazing it was. But also kind of saddened at the realization that we’ll probably never get an episode like that again. If it were made today, it probably would have involved Data going rogue and stealing the Enterprise to escape Maddox and, in doing so, uncovering that Maddox is actually a romulan spy, thus neatly negating any moral quandary. Then Maddox and Picard have a fist fight for some reason.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Gonz posted:

One episode is where Picard spends a weekend on Riza and he just chills out and reads a book and has some drinks and gets some sun.

And nothing else happens. He deserves that.

That sounds incredibly cathartic.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

adhuin posted:

Hopefully Picard series will have TNG-style designs, Hairy Klingons and bright lighting.

LOL tho if it doesn't so I can laugh when all the younger TNG era fans who said TOS was old and lame and it was dumb to whine about canon and uniforms and tech being different on DISCO meltdown. :allears:

Senor Tron posted:

I haven't played Star Trek online but this almost guarantees it is going to become non-canon hey.

Our long national nightmare is over.

For real though I am very very stoked for this!

Also,

Astroman posted:

I can tell you one thing--if they did an Ambassador Picard series, set in the Original Timeline in a 20 years later Bermaga/Sternbach/Okuda style of tech/ships/uniforms, that poo poo could actually Save Star Trek. For real. Like if they did it right, with no "reimagining" or "making it fit for a modern audience", but told stories in a serialized modern way, the nerds would eat it up and mainstream viewers would be all in.

All Trek since 2009 has been delving deeper and deeper into TOS riffs. But there is a whole, untapped market of casual fans who are in their 30s and younger, that never watched TOS but loved TNG. They've been underserved and would eat it up.

I personally would actually pay CBS to see that, and I can't say the same for DISCO.

Whelp,

Astroman fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Aug 6, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’m more pumped to see the new uniforms than anything else, if I’m honest.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’m more pumped to see the new uniforms than anything else, if I’m honest.

I'm a uniform whore too, count me in.

Someone earlier back (what? I'm lazy, so court martial me!) hypothesized a show with a Borg aboard an intergalactic Milky Way races expedition, and it got me thinking:. What if this show really did introduce a peace with the Borg? In the same vein as the hated Klingons and Romulans coming to the diplomatic table in TNG, maybe the Borg have come around to being friendlies because of efforts spearheaded by Picard.

Instead of letting himself be traumatized by his time as Locutus, he decides to use it to change things for the better. He uses his experience and knowledge of the Borg to build a resistance to the status quo, slowly shifting the way of the whole collective. Idk how, that's for the series to explore. We could even have a Delta quadrant episode or two, ooooo Voyager fans you're not forgotten! And holographic pocket Janeway advises him, held in his hand like a tiny ballerina in a music box. In each setting visited, he is given an opportunity to perform an outdoor extreme sport.

Riker is still his first officer, but he's just at home, his t-shirt rolled up over his gut and getting chip grease on his saxaphone keys. Plus he's stopped trimming his beard, so he looks like the universe where the Borg took over except that Riker wasn't on six tabs of Denosian acid. Or maybe he was, and there were no Borg. Wow. Huh.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Friendly Borg only if he sometimes attempts to assimilate crew members and the doctor has to remove the nanites and talk to the Borg about personal boundaries.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Voyager pretty much poisoned the Borg well, so I’d rather they not go back to it. Follow up on the only good thread from Nemesis and have Picard mediating talks with the Romulans for peace. Have a right-wing sect object to the treaty and finally give us the Enterprise vs Warbird fight we actually deserved in Generations.

Not that Scimitar bullshit either, I mean someone takes a bunch of TNG-era warbirds out of mothballs and refits them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The only way they could really make peace with the Borg is if the the Borg converted from an aggressive hegemonizing swarm to an evangelical hegemonizing swarm.

But the shows really need to stop with the Borg.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
A Borg you could reason and compromise with would be a Borg that was, essentially, no longer Borg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSRdIRv4eIo

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
They're making it because of my liveposts

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Maybe they’ll finally follow up on those body-snatching, tube grub eating baddies from “Conspiracy”.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Voyager pretty much poisoned the Borg well, so I’d rather they not go back to it. Follow up on the only good thread from Nemesis and have Picard mediating talks with the Romulans for peace. Have a right-wing sect object to the treaty and finally give us the Enterprise vs Warbird fight we actually deserved in Generations.

Not that Scimitar bullshit either, I mean someone takes a bunch of TNG-era warbirds out of mothballs and refits them.

There's a part of me that's morbidly curious to see what the 1701-D equivalent of the Disco nacelle strut speed holes would be, but otherwise I strongly doubt we will see any old designs reused at all.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not that Scimitar bullshit either, I mean someone takes a bunch of TOS-era warbirds out of mothballs and refits them.

We have the technology. We can rebuild them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

There's a part of me that's morbidly curious to see what the 1701-D equivalent of the Disco nacelle strut speed holes would be, but otherwise I strongly doubt we will see any old designs reused at all.

Wait'll you see what the "wooden arch" part of the bridge turns into!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

mllaneza posted:

We have the technology. We can rebuild them.

I love this.

"So, we're painting the bottom of the ship."
"Are we gonna see that?"
"In spacedock, maybe, but after that, no."
"Are the enemies gonna see that?"
"We'll mostly be cloaked and, well, it's space so probably nobody would get that close."
"Okay. What's it for then?"
"FOR THE GLORY OF THE EMPIRE!"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I assume school children would be given the chance to look through a telescope to see the might of the Romulan Star Empire in orbit.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like how in TOS-R they added bird painting to the Klingon ships used by the Romulans.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I see Jeri Ryan on Twitter talking about how they offered her a role in Nemesis just as a negotiation tactic to lowball a TNG female member who was NOT Troi. So Crusher, then. Scum bag move.

Also, I really hope they don't get all prestige TV and modern with the Picard show. In fact, I think the perfect way to start it is with an Enterprise E fly by and "Captain's log, star date..."

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I do actually want to see the Titan

That'd be neat

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Gonz posted:

Time to bust this out again.

ONE WHO IS MOVING NOW,

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
A couple people have said they didn’t recognize Red in Orange was Janeway. Did you watch Voyager or Orange first? I imagine those who saw Orange first wouldn’t necessarily make the connection.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The Bloop posted:

I do actually want to see the Titan

That'd be neat

It’s one of the few “non-canon” ships that actually looks decent. It’s very much in the DS9-First Contact style without too many of the Eaves trademarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
there are a lot of non-canon ships :q: