Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I just found out the guy who made the Gor roleplaying game (the sexist rpg setting where woman are property that are regularly raped) and a card game about tentacle rape, also made a book all about diversity in tabletop gaming.

According to a review, it's exactly the racists/sexist creed you'd expect. Not that I can say for certain because I'm not buying that poo poo.

Just ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I like d12s. Recommend me a game that uses lots of d12s.

Don't say Cthulhutech.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Splicer posted:

Don't say Cthulhutech.

Dungeon Crawl Classics?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
run it with D20 rules and tell your players they've unlocked expert mode

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Splicer posted:

Don't say Cthulhutech.

One Ring

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Splicer posted:

Don't say Cthulhutech.

Pokethulu

But really just don’t bring d4s or d6s and roll a d12 instead.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Hard mode: a game that uses d12s and isn't Tolkien or pseudo-Tolkien fantasy.
Immortality gun, no contest. Not for the gun, for the immortality.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DalaranJ posted:

Pokethulu

But really just don’t bring d4s or d6s and roll a d12 instead.
I've been wanting to play pokethulu for a while.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Countblanc posted:

Yeah people have gotten bits and pieces of D&D canon from like a hundred different sources and it just sort of builds up. I really think this is where the "magic can do anything because it's magic" sort of thing comes from because, while the rules definitely encourage this, I've spoken to people who have never cracked open a D&D manual at any point who just like nod along with the idea that magic is just inherently Better.

Funnily enough in my experience it's the opposite, where people who have never bothered to actually learn the rules for themselves insist that martial characters will totally always beat casters because that's how it's always gone in their games.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Locket of lust only works on opposite sex, pfft.

Man that wallet would be nice.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I said I was gonna make a thread for Lancer when the new revision dropped and it dropped today, so here it is! Come be one of the twelve people who post in it before it drops off the first page never to be seen again.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Splicer posted:

Hard mode: a game that uses d12s and isn't Tolkien or pseudo-Tolkien fantasy.

Immortality gun, no contest. Not for the gun, for the immortality.

I don't know if you will count this, but the Star Wars Fantasy Flight series uses D12 for Skill and Challenge Dice. However, they are changed to have symbols on them so I don't know if you want to count that.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

hyphz posted:

I really, really wish that D&D variants would include changelogs.

I do remember when 3e first came out, and almost all the local GMs who were used to 2e were arguing that an enemy could avoid being Sneak Attacked when flanked by turning to face the rogue.
I remember when 3.0 was the newest thing and me and another guy got into an argument because druids definitely have just one animal companion based on level (no, it's definitely any number of any animals, total HD based on druid level!) and when we pulled out our PHBs, we ended up proving that WotC is a big bag of sweaty dicks who snuck in a bunch of changes between the first printing of the 3.0 PHB and the second a couple months later. Man did that cause an uproar; everyone immediately checked what printing they had and we had to agree to use one or the other.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

NGDBSS posted:

Didn't the Exalted 2E errata eventually extend to over 200 pages?

Yes. Bear in mind they ended up rewriting huge chunks of the charm system - the Dragon Blooded, Sidereals, Fair Folk, and First Age material was all practically rewritten because the existing 2e material was either unsalvageable or :effort: copy-pastes from 1e. Of course, even with all that, there was stuff like Sidereal Martial Arts that never got fixed - there was supposed to be Scroll of the Monk II for that. But then they decided they didn't want to waste more time with 2e, canceled that, and decided to move on to 3e, which means most the stuff they "fixed" would basically end up being unsupported for over half a decade...

It's been a real mess.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yes. Bear in mind they ended up rewriting huge chunks of the charm system - the Dragon Blooded, Sidereals, Fair Folk, and First Age material was all practically rewritten because the existing 2e material was either unsalvageable or :effort: copy-pastes from 1e. Of course, even with all that, there was stuff like Sidereal Martial Arts that never got fixed - there was supposed to be Scroll of the Monk II for that. But then they decided they didn't want to waste more time with 2e, canceled that, and decided to move on to 3e, which means most the stuff they "fixed" would basically end up being unsupported for over half a decade...

It's been a real mess.

Real glad I didn't trade my 3.5 PHB in for that. It takes WORK to be worse than 3e.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Yeah Exalted 2e and Returners Final Fantasy were the only two systems I've played that I absolutely hated by the end of my time with them.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I played a lot of exalted 2e back in the day

We used a lot of houserules

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The watch is the obvious best item, come on.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Don't say Cthulhutech.

Cartoon Action Hour

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Arivia posted:

Dungeon Crawl Classics?

Speaking of DCC, does anyone have a spare set of their dice they'd be willing to sell for a decent price, can't seem to find any(the only set Goodman has left in stock are kinda ugly looking)

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Splicer posted:

Don't say Cthulhutech.

Any PbtA game but switch out 2d6 for a d12? And reroll 1s, both to preserve the probabilities and so you get to roll a d12 again.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

It's either Ring (can trick devil into giving the other items AND your soul with super intelligence) or Gun (can kill devil or other owners of magic items)

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Any PbtA game but switch out 2d6 for a d12? And reroll 1s, both to preserve the probabilities and so you get to roll a d12 again.
1) the probabilities are still going to be way different; you'll get the "medium" outcome (typically the most interesting one) far less often than you would with 2d6
2) redoing 1/12 of all rolls is actually annoying as gently caress

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

dwarf74 posted:

The watch and the gun are way unbalanced compared to the rest. I mean, come on, that wallet is tier 1 at best but it costs just as many souls as the time-stop watch and the immortality gun, both tier 3 or 4 in the right hands? Pfft. This system is totally broken.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Anyone read the Witcher rpg that just came out?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Alien Rope Burn posted:

It's been a real mess.

Part of the 200+ pages was me getting my hands on a few GBs of art files from WW and trying to make it look like a real book since it was already so long anyway. Even when you're deep into Exalted, it's tough to parse or even really just look at 40 solid text-only pages of totally rewritten Sidereal or Fair Folk Charms. I think without the art it would still be like 180+ pages.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Splicer posted:

Don't say Cthulhutech.

I got a bunch of Cthulhutech books basically for free and after a basic perusal I still don't understand how you could gently caress up basic math that badly, let alone all the terrible setting poo poo

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Splicer posted:

Don't say Cthulhutech.

What about Pokethulhu? http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/pokethulhu.htm

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Huh, really? One of my usual players, while admitting it's a pretty simple class, seems to have fun with it. But they're really into the tactical element of the game, and I can certainly see the appeal in coming out of nowhere, doing a fuckton of damage to the most dangerous enemy on the board and slipping away. Plus, you can play a ninja and throw poisoned shurikens everywhere.

(doesn't help that the original Assassin is considered fiddly and overcomplicated for lackluster results with the whole shroud mechanic)

The oldsassin was a class that had some fun powers, flavor, and concepts but was married to using shrouds, one of the worst class mechanics in the game.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Plutonis posted:

It's either Ring (can trick devil into giving the other items AND your soul with super intelligence) or Gun (can kill devil or other owners of magic items)

The gun only says it will never miss, it doesn't say it can kill anything, so that only works if the devil isn't bulletproof to begin with. And then you could just use a regular gun.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Splicer posted:

Good news! One of my players has been tinkering with his system that's based all around the d12 for years!

Bad news! It's this one:

My Lovely Horse posted:

"Okay, to calculate your AC, you just add up the basic value plus the average of your Agility and Intuiton plus your dodge skill plus your parry rank, which is a third of your weapon group skill. Oh but when you fight unarmed you only get the parry bonus against other unarmed attacks. That's all for melee defense too, scratch the parry rank against ranged attacks. And if you're caught unaware, skip the dodge skill as well. Now that's your basic AC; add your armor bonus to get your armored AC. If the attack roll is below basic AC, it's a miss, if it's above armored AC, you take full damage, and if it's between basic and armored AC you take damage but get to subtract your armor's damage reduction score. Any questions?"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Plutonis posted:

It's the gun. The gun makes you live longer, and "in view of the shooter" is a ludicrously easy condition to game. Kill someone once every 20 years and, barring accidents, the devil never gets to collect.

The ring is a cursed item. Perfect recall is not a gift.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
why is the gun of wrath optimised for cold-blooded murder though

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

That Old Tree posted:

Part of the 200+ pages was me getting my hands on a few GBs of art files from WW and trying to make it look like a real book since it was already so long anyway. Even when you're deep into Exalted, it's tough to parse or even really just look at 40 solid text-only pages of totally rewritten Sidereal or Fair Folk Charms. I think without the art it would still be like 180+ pages.

Any idea if any of that art had originally been commissioned for the abortive Exalted CCG? I know some of it ended up in the Unconquered Sun board game later on, in any case.

For me the bigger issue was that the charms got spread between multiple books for many splats and then when you added the Scroll of Errata, making a character was often a minimum of a three-book affair (including Errata) of interlocking charm trees. Online aids helped some but I think even they fell out of date at the time. It never got as sprawling as something like 3.5 but it was all much more interconnected than just piecemeal.

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014

drrockso20 posted:

Speaking of DCC, does anyone have a spare set of their dice they'd be willing to sell for a decent price, can't seem to find any(the only set Goodman has left in stock are kinda ugly looking)

If nothing else, you can buy them directly from (what I believe to be) the manufacturer, Impact Miniatures.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Wrestlepig posted:

Anyone read the Witcher rpg that just came out?

I picked up a copy at GenCon but it's gonna be a bit before I can really go over it.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Any idea if any of that art had originally been commissioned for the abortive Exalted CCG? I know some of it ended up in the Unconquered Sun board game later on, in any case.

I recall that I used a fair chunk of art out of the board games, in part because more of it was in color, but also because it was stuff I figured a lot fewer people had seen already. I don't know if any of it was originally for one thing or another. The files I got were for a handful of products and they weren't particularly well-organized or -labeled.

quote:

For me the bigger issue was that the charms got spread between multiple books for many splats and then when you added the Scroll of Errata, making a character was often a minimum of a three-book affair (including Errata) of interlocking charm trees. Online aids helped some but I think even they fell out of date at the time. It never got as sprawling as something like 3.5 but it was all much more interconnected than just piecemeal.

Oh absolutely it was a tremendous mess, particularly after the Dawn Fix or whatever it was called when the number of new widgets and resource pools ballooned, and extremely long Charms started to become more common. For my home games I had print-outs of everything with fully integrated errata and house rules, but I just did that sort of poo poo all the time anyway. After the huge rewrites started rolling out, I can't imagine the proportion of people who actually used the errata was all that significant even if you discount the probable majority who weren't aware it existed in the first place.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I picked up a copy at GenCon but it's gonna be a bit before I can really go over it.

My only question is whether it’s ever worth not picking Witcher or Mage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Splicer posted:

It's the gun. The gun makes you live longer, and "in view of the shooter" is a ludicrously easy condition to game. Kill someone once every 20 years and, barring accidents, the devil never gets to collect.

The ring is a cursed item. Perfect recall is not a gift.

I´d say the gun is just as cursed. Anyone who you can kill with it was at the end of their lifespan, so no time is ever added to your clock. All it does is lead to a mass spree of killing without you ever getting any time added to your own. It´s a trick to get the owner to kill. If people have as would be required, a pre-determined amount of lifetime, then anyone you´d kill with it always would have been at the end of theirs, because you´d be unable to choose freely in such a universe. So, congrats on choosing the trick trap option, I guess?

The watch is worse though, because it doesn´t say that it stops your own time. So you just age twice as fast as everyone else does...