Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
The best name I've run across is Novelino Fidel Castro <Lastname>.

Apparently, local custom on Sumatra is that the mother will name the baby after whatever comes into her head when she first looks at it. He had a slight fuzz on his cheeks and that doomed him. That's "New little Fidel Castro" in English. He goes by "Novel".

Also, I never cease to snicker over ridiculously long Bengali names. Things like Bhalasubramani Ranganathan.

Sir Lemming posted:

I can explain this one, it's a Swedish version of Gertrude. I guess they thought it had too many letters. And syllables.

Gerd is also a common man's name in Germany. Short for Gerhard. Which would explain why a man carries it.

Bees on Wheat posted:

I knew a Kenneth Kenichi ((Lastname)) in high school. He was half Japanese, so I guess his parents wanted to give him a Japanese name and a western name? Not sure why they'd pick something so similar, though. I knew several other half Japanese kids and they all had western first names and Japanese middle names that made sense, but this poor guy got to be Ken-ken. And you bet that was his loving nickname as soon as any of us found out.

It kinda almost makes sense if they were thinking: This way he could go by "Ken" in both countries and wouldn't have to adjust.
But that's still stupid because they could just name him Ken instead.

Hippie Hedgehog has a new favorite as of 18:15 on Jul 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I'm pretty sure Gerd is also used in Flanders/the Netherlands, though it is by no means common.

e: Gert is much more widespread, but apparently it has the same etymological origin

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Phlegmish posted:

I'm pretty sure Gerd is also used in Flanders/the Netherlands, though it is by no means common.

e: Gert is much more widespread, but apparently it has the same etymological origin

Fun fact: Gert, when pronounced by a Dutch speaker, sounds exactly like a Swedish word for butt.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Oh man, David Letterman had a bit going with a real Canadian guy named Dick Assman for like, a year

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

nobody wants to hire B.J. Loser.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

There's also Dick Hafer who wrote a homophobic propaganda comic.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

thank god someone circled the joke or I would have missed it

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Crocoswine posted:

thank god someone circled the joke or I would have missed it

What jo...

Ooooooh!

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

"Precious Gamble" - not sure if this is terrible or awesome

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Teketeketeketeke posted:

"Precious Gamble" - not sure if this is terrible or awesome

That's a Bond Girl name.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Zyan

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I saw the hyphenated last name Love-Howe.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

rodbeard posted:

I saw the hyphenated last name Love-Howe.

Baby won't hurt me

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Sous chef at work's last name is Mess; his new wife's last name is Gay. They had a big Gay-Mess wedding.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Special guest: Rick Santorum

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

These make me laugh every time I drive past them.

Not thread related, but when a guy named Bateman was running for sheriff his signs kept getting vandalized to Bat Man.

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Auntionette

:psyduck:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Luv.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Daedra.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Saw a realtor sign for a Kipp today.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

OK but if their first words are "reach heaven by violence" this is going to wrap right around to excellent

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Phy posted:

OK but if their first words are "reach heaven by violence" this is going to wrap right around to excellent

She runs a metal straw company so probably sadly not.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Sounds like someone just forgot to conjugate a verb

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Alycen Faigh

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Reading an NPR article and saw the name Jason Doctor. And yes, he has a PhD. so you can and should address him as Dr. Doctor.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

ElwoodCuse posted:

Oh man, David Letterman had a bit going with a real Canadian guy named Dick Assman for like, a year

To make it even better the guy was from Regina. Needless to say Dave said "Dick Assman from Regina" as often as possible.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Woman named Ashleyna requests help finding the perfect yoonïque baby name.

Enchantica
Magickal
Avacyn Fae
Zadist
Lajesha
Azalina

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Pretty sure I killed all of those people in WoW.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Bees on Wheat posted:

Reading an NPR article and saw the name Jason Doctor. And yes, he has a PhD. so you can and should address him as Dr. Doctor.

how about instead we throw him down a goddamn well so we can finally have some goddamn peace around this shithole without having to call some gently caress face doctor doctor

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Bees on Wheat posted:

I would say "give me the news," but you just did :confuoot:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Labes for days posted:

Woman named Ashleyna requests help finding the perfect yoonïque baby name.

Enchantica
Magickal
Avacyn Fae
Zadist
Lajesha
Azalina

Avacyn is literally a magic the gathering set.

And Zadist sure made me wince.

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A professor at my school wanted to name his son that, but from whatever eastern european country he was from it sounded like Bruka Vanya so it didnt seem like he was minutes away from plotting he and his wifes double homocide

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

GLEEN GREEN

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Surely it's Glen, surely that's a typo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER