Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

That dates him as being in elementary school prior to 1995, most likely. poo poo was so racist back then we didn't even realize it was racist.

See also: A Christmas Story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Cojawfee posted:

The game is just called "telephone" my dude.

Is this a regional thing, or a modern sensibilities thing? We always called this chinese telephone back in middle school, but to be fair we also played "smear the queer," so it isn't like things were all totally cool back then.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

Is this a regional thing, or a modern sensibilities thing? We always called this chinese telephone back in middle school, but to be fair we also played "smear the queer," so it isn't like things were all totally cool back then.

its a Your Parents thing

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you know of any activity or action that has a name with some sort of nationality or ethnicity in front of it, it's definitely racist. You should stop calling it that and find out a non racist name, or just don't say it anymore.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

scary ghost dog posted:

its a Your Parents thing

Yeah, I don't know what you're trying to imply here but if anything it would have been a My Teachers thing.

Nobody in my family is racist against the Chinese. That's just what the game was called.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

If you know of any activity or action that has a name with some sort of nationality or ethnicity in front of it, it's definitely racist. You should stop calling it that and find out a non racist name, or just don't say it anymore.

Shut up before I give you an Indian rug burn, nerd!

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

Then what should the rest of the world start calling American Football, then? :colbert:

Everything depends on context. Terms that were non-racist can become racist over time if used in a racist context.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Born in 88, grew up in a very racist mountain town, literally never heard it referred to as Chinese telephone before.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I know we don’t say gypped anymore, but hatred towards gypsies is back in town baby.

I was seeing anti gypsy racism in gbs years ago.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Varance posted:

Then what should the rest of the world start calling American Football, then? :colbert:

Everything depends on context. Terms that were non-racist can become racist over time if used in a racist context.

Handegg

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

In Australia it's called Chinese Whispers because of course it is.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

"Sit indian-style" is a pretty benign way to tell a group of kids to sit cross-legged, but I get your point.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

"Sit indian-style" is a pretty benign way to tell a group of kids to sit cross-legged, but I get your point.

It's criss cross apple sauce now.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

It's criss cross apple sauce now.
But they invented it!

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Yeah, these are Russian-fronted propagandists trying to take down "liberals" because they are upset Rosanne got fired.

It occurs to me that we're in a very weird era where this isn't some crazy conspiracy post, there are actually Russian-fronted propagandists planting and signal-boosting articles to gently caress with us right now.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Sit crossed legged is a pretty benign way to tell a group of kids to sit cross-legged. Sounds like folks around there would also greet indigenous people with a 'How, Chief'. Even if there's no ill intent, just sounds like awkward.

For the record, I've never heard the game refereed to as Chinese Telephone too. Just telephone.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Yeah, I don't know what you're trying to imply here but if anything it would have been a My Teachers thing.

Nobody in my family is racist against the Chinese. That's just what the game was called.

wubba wubba dubya!!!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Varance posted:

uh the name of the sport is gridiron

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
quick reminder the russians dont give a flying gently caress about the adventures of professor richard and mortimer, its just some incels mad that the people who made their high iq logical cartoon funnies were mean towards their high iq dream daddy president

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

quick reminder the russians dont give a flying gently caress about the adventures of professor richard and mortimer, its just some incels mad that the people who made their high iq logical cartoon funnies were mean towards their high iq dream daddy president

You're right, the Russians don't care about Rick and Morty. That doesn't mean they aren't joining in the outrage though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still hope they have a Citadel episode with a Rick and Morty in straw boaters and canes, and they go

"I'm Razzle Rick!"

"I'm Dazzle Morty!"

"And we're Razzle Dazzle Rick and Morty!"

And then they tapdance.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
not everything stupid and wrong with the world is the fault of the russians

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

You know, I tend to completely disregard things that have a .3% chance of being true.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Phobophilia posted:

You're right. But almost every right wing outrage flame is being fanned by Russian trolls these days.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ashpanash posted:

You know, I tend to completely disregard things that have a .3% chance of being true.

im more of a hooooooooooo boy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bring back old gbs posted:

im more of a hooooooooooo boy

And from a site that has zero sources and even less credibility and a disclaimer saying 'articles may be fiction'.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
very surprised that dr. gitmo moneyson, one of the most retarded people ever to post on this website, still posts on this website

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And from a site that has zero sources and even less credibility and a disclaimer saying 'articles may be fiction'.

Seems legit

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm always so glad I was raised in the small part of the US that calls that game "Whisper Down the Lane" for whatever dumbass reason we do.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

we called it "never trust a chinaman" and i don't see how that could be offensive

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I heard Dan Harmon is Hitler.

I'd say it's extremely unlikely this rumor is true, but if it is ........ hoooooo boy

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I mean I don’t care if he literally IS Hitler if season 4 is good

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Phobophilia posted:

This is different from the Americans pushing this bullshit, who actually care about the moral fiber of cartoon making weirdos, and aren't just interesting in baiting the libs to eat other.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Phenotype posted:

It occurs to me that we're in a very weird era where this isn't some crazy conspiracy post, there are actually Russian-fronted propagandists planting and signal-boosting articles to gently caress with us right now.

Let's just say that "Former Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger admonished President Donald Trump for his inhumane treatment of immigrants and foolish trade policy" is the most comedically dystopian, 80's scifi-future headline you could come up with...
:smith:

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Phobophilia posted:

"I STILL say it was Putin!"
"It was Rick and Morty, you loving dunce!"

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

You can't be racist against white people, because something something systems of oppression makes it okay something something technical definition of the word and they don't have feelings anyway.

Anyway, we called it Telephone where I come from, one of the largest cities in the US, in the early 80's.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

That's the funny thing about stuff like that; Nobody realizes anyone calls it something else until an argument erupts over it. As a child, I once got into a heated argument when another kid insisted that the game I knew as "rock, paper, scissors" was actually called "scissors, paper, rock." It didn't end until another kid sugggested that it was called "ro sham bo," and both of us agreed that he was an idiot.

Some googling suggests that Chinese Telephone is not an unheard of name for the game, but not a very common one, either. It doesn't even make wikipedia's list of variant names. Apparently my middle school teachers combined the American name of "Telephone" with the European name of "Chinese Whispers." It was the name multiple independent teachers used, though, and what we all called it, so I didn't realize it was called other things elsewhere. We also universally played it wrong, it turns out, since the goal of the game seems to be to reach the end with the message unchanged; we were always instructed to intentionally change the message with each passing on.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

That's the funny thing about stuff like that; Nobody realizes anyone calls it something else until an argument erupts over it. As a child, I once got into a heated argument when another kid insisted that the game I knew as "rock, paper, scissors" was actually called "scissors, paper, rock." It didn't end until another kid sugggested that it was called "ro sham bo," and both of us agreed that he was an idiot.

Some googling suggests that Chinese Telephone is not an unheard of name for the game, but not a very common one, either. It doesn't even make wikipedia's list of variant names. Apparently my middle school teachers combined the American name of "Telephone" with the European name of "Chinese Whispers." It was the name multiple independent teachers used, though, and what we all called it, so I didn't realize it was called other things elsewhere. We also universally played it wrong, it turns out, since the goal of the game seems to be to reach the end with the message unchanged; we were always instructed to intentionally change the message with each passing on.

Yeah...public education is broken. :eng99:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Wtf. What would be the point of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.