Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Tim Raines IRL posted:

I obliterated Humans last night with this nonsense:

I'm thinking of sleeving this up for FNM next week, does anyone have any thoughts?

Faithless looting is suboptimal but it pitches nicely to lily and IDK what else I'm supposed to do to fix my hands in these colors.

the manabase seems pretty messy. so many basics, tapped lands, and colorless lands are gonna screw you up, seems like a deck that badly wants to curve out for the first three turns without any issues.

bolts don't make a ton of sense, you're a prison deck with tons of other answers to creatures and it's not like you have any sort of clock to speed up

other cards to consider off the top of my head: that land that gets luck counters, smallpox, fulminator mage. goblin rabblemaster would be really good for the sideboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

little munchkin posted:

the manabase seems pretty messy. so many basics, tapped lands, and colorless lands are gonna screw you up, seems like a deck that badly wants to curve out for the first three turns without any issues.

bolts don't make a ton of sense, you're a prison deck with tons of other answers to creatures and it's not like you have any sort of clock to speed up

other cards to consider off the top of my head: that land that gets luck counters, smallpox, fulminator mage. goblin rabblemaster would be really good for the sideboard

I was going to ask why this deck isn’t playing any blackcleave cliffs. Budget is a good reason, I suppose.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
yeah, I only have one Cliffs and I am not looking to buy cards right now.

this deck certainly needs more win conditions, though, and Lavaclaw Reaches is awful.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm $20 in singles away from finishing a Legacy deck!

It's Burn

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

May I instead interest you in my playset of $500 Underground Seas?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

May I instead interest you in my playset of $500 Underground Seas?

Only after I write the next inexplicable teenage phenomenon and get a sick movie or TV deal.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Went 4-0 with Jeskai control at my game store. Last week I went 2-2; Lili of the Veils obliterated me.

I have removed spell snare and added a Jace. I still don't have enough games to tell if this is correct.

Game 1
Infect 2-0
Game one he had the kill in hand, but was worried about being blown. I had no way to stop it if he went for it.
Both games were won with stabilizing the board into a Teferi

Game 2
Bant Spirits
2-1
I won game one mostly because he flooded.
Lost game 2
Game three he mulled to 6, and kept a 1 land hand with Hierarch. I helixed his mana dork, and he never really could catch up.

Game 3
Grixis control splashing green for Goyf. 2-0
My deck is far more tuned, and having enough burn in the deck to drop him to 0 makes game 1 much easier.

Game 4
Blue white Spirits 2-0
His hands weren't the best, but I think he mostly lost to play mistakes.
I was able to bait most of his Spell Quellers into Supreme Verdicts. He did come close to ending me with a turn 3 Geist though.

I really want to build Bant Spirits, but I am missing the Mistys

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
I told y'all I did. Human Company is a real deck that is pretty good.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Good god hierarch needs a high volume reprint.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Cactrot posted:

Good god hierarch, colonnade, blackcleave cliffs, Karn Liberated, mox opal, bloodghast, the enemy fetches and goblin lore need a high volume reprint.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I was just referring to the fact that the hierarchs are almost a third of the cost of the deck above, but yes to that as well

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

The funny/sad thing is that the majority of those have been reprinted in the last few years- Hierarch/Karn/Opal in MM15, the enemy fetches in MM17, and Bloodghast in IMA.

Print Masters sets at regular pack MSRP IMO. Or start at $5/pack instead of $10 and see how that goes.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

C-Euro posted:

The funny/sad thing is that the majority of those have been reprinted in the last few years- Hierarch/Karn/Opal in MM15, the enemy fetches in MM17, and Bloodghast in IMA.

Print Masters sets at regular pack MSRP IMO. Or start at $5/pack instead of $10 and see how that goes.

Original MM was 7 a pack I think and sold out in what seemed like minutes. They should just do 7 a pack. 10 is stupid.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
be more aggressive about printing modern cards period

they put TNN in battlebond and IoK in Conspiracy 2 when its price was out of control, so the first place I would look to print more cards is the summer draft set

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

AnEdgelord posted:

be more aggressive about printing modern cards period

they put TNN in battlebond and IoK in Conspiracy 2 when its price was out of control, so the first place I would look to print more cards is the summer draft set

I was glad when Wizards said they were going back to doing Core Sets because it seems like an easy and reliable route to do Modern reprints. People (not so much on SA) have raised a stink about how mythics like Scapeshift and Crucible of Worlds water down the Limited experience but as a filthy rare-drafter I would love to crack one of those during draft.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

They've been using limited as an excuse to ruin constructed for years. Why stop now?

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Original MM was 7 a pack I think and sold out in what seemed like minutes. They should just do 7 a pack. 10 is stupid.

I think $8 a pack. Plus use the new battlebond boxes. And you can have 16 pack boxes and an msrp equal to standard boxes.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Trying to decide what to jam on in legacy for the next few weeks+

Doing the Baltimore Legacy Open in September and I was playing 4c Punishing Dack which is pretty... Iffy now that DRS is gone.

I've got access to pretty much everything -

Do I jam Lands? OmniTell? Meme Nic Fit? I really can't decide

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Elmon posted:

I think $8 a pack. Plus use the new battlebond boxes. And you can have 16 pack boxes and an msrp equal to standard boxes.
That’s a neat math trick, but you need 24 packs to draft.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Walked posted:

Doing the Baltimore Legacy Open in September and I was playing 4c Punishing Dack which is pretty... Iffy now that DRS is gone.

I'm buying back into legacy wqith D&T it seems fun and good and gently caress at least the lands all cost less then $100 each. I have a bunch of poo poo from modern, so I'm down to some lands and the weird $20 white weenies that they've been printing in supplemental sets.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Walked posted:

lands if you have the cards. punishing dack is still A Thing you just have a lot less green in the deck

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Elmon posted:

Nah they were 6.99. Which is really the price they should all be at. 9.99 a pack is idiotic.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

They should be $3 per pack. You don't even have design costs.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

They should be $3 per pack. You don't even have design costs.

but but my cardboard futures

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

Always Lands.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

EvilBeard posted:

Always Lands.

Yeah; at this point I'm down to either a) Lands or b) OmniSneak.

B is kinda alluring for a long event; but Lands has been my baby for a long time. But man can it be a slog for 10+ round events

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Walked posted:

Yeah; at this point I'm down to either a) Lands or b) OmniSneak.

B is kinda alluring for a long event; but Lands has been my baby for a long time. But man can it be a slog for 10+ round events

I played Lands and Omnitell. Lands wasn't that much worse for long tournaments. Sure, some matchups were a slog, but sometimes they just can't interact with a 20/20 indestructible flyer.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

EvilBeard posted:

I played Lands and Omnitell. Lands wasn't that much worse for long tournaments. Sure, some matchups were a slog, but sometimes they just can't interact with a 20/20 indestructible flyer.

Oh yeah I agree - I've played lands for years now and run it back at several Opens and GPs.

Really just agonizing over nothing probably. I'm just not certain which is in a better position right now - I feel pretty confident with both.

For reference I've been seeing a LOT more Storm, Sneak, and Death & Taxes which kinda sucks if you're bringing Lands to a big event.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I'm happy to report that I've completely flipped on my UW vs Jeskai assesment.

With the introduction of another graveyard deck into the format (bridgevine), humans gaining Militia Bugler so they can play long games and the increased presence of Spell Quellers in the meta thanks to Bant spirits I'm completely willing to call in in UW's favor right now.

TBH the thing that really pushed me over the edge was watching Paul Rizzi pilot UW at the PT and just eat everyone he faced alive. The overwhelming power of his sideboard and the combined power of JtMS and Teferi make the deck look absolutely unbeatable in a way that Jeskai never looked even before it fell from grace. I dismissed it initially due to a low sample size and experiences with past UW versions but now I'm a believer.

I'm picking up my set of JtMS next paycheck

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

AnEdgelord posted:

I'm happy to report that I've completely flipped on my UW vs Jeskai assesment.

With the introduction of another graveyard deck into the format (bridgevine), humans gaining Militia Bugler so they can play long games and the increased presence of Spell Quellers in the meta thanks to Bant spirits I'm completely willing to call in in UW's favor right now.

TBH the thing that really pushed me over the edge was watching Paul Rizzi pilot UW at the PT and just eat everyone he faced alive. The overwhelming power of his sideboard and the combined power of JtMS and Teferi make the deck look absolutely unbeatable in a way that Jeskai never looked even before it fell from grace. I dismissed it initially due to a low sample size and experiences with past UW versions but now I'm a believer.

I'm picking up my set of JtMS next paycheck

Glad you're seeing the light. I've been playing it to every PPTQ I've been at the last while and have never once felt like it was a bad choice. Losses I got were due to me screwing up, or me having a horrible matchup and bad draws, not the deck itself. I've also beaten Jeskai control with it the last few times we've played so I feel pretty confident it's the best control deck. Also when you get good with it and can play it kinda fast it just gets even better.

I'd also like to give a shoutout to everyone I've ever played that knew they had lost and just scooped up the cards without making me go through the motions and wasting minutes.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Glad you're seeing the light. I've been playing it to every PPTQ I've been at the last while and have never once felt like it was a bad choice. Losses I got were due to me screwing up, or me having a horrible matchup and bad draws, not the deck itself. I've also beaten Jeskai control with it the last few times we've played so I feel pretty confident it's the best control deck. Also when you get good with it and can play it kinda fast it just gets even better.

I'd also like to give a shoutout to everyone I've ever played that knew they had lost and just scooped up the cards without making me go through the motions and wasting minutes.

I am okay with the rise in U/W since I think Bant Spirits has a slightly favorable matchup against it.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mezzanon posted:

I am okay with the rise in U/W since I think Bant Spirits has a slightly favorable matchup against it.

Not sure if it's favored, it could be. Last time I played spirits at a pptq I just kinda blew the guy out but I could see why it would be favored, what with the deck playing at instant speed and creatures occasionally having hexproof. I like playing that matchup though because it's a fun interactive game regardless.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Not sure if it's favored, it could be. Last time I played spirits at a pptq I just kinda blew the guy out but I could see why it would be favored, what with the deck playing at instant speed and creatures occasionally having hexproof. I like playing that matchup though because it's a fun interactive game regardless.

Agree strongly, there's a lot of play to be had, I side in eidolon of rhetoric against u/w miracles and I am a big fan of how that has been working out for me. Plus sometimes the u/w deck just folds to T2 geist

Edit: my friend is bringing this pile to two PPTQ's this weekend (after watching it handily demolish a pptq last week) https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1267317#paper

spicy

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mezzanon posted:

Agree strongly, there's a lot of play to be had, I side in eidolon of rhetoric against u/w miracles and I am a big fan of how that has been working out for me. Plus sometimes the u/w deck just folds to T2 geist

Edit: my friend is bringing this pile to two PPTQ's this weekend (after watching it handily demolish a pptq last week) https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1267317#paper

spicy

Is this winning purely off of recurring spellbomb on the back of bridge/bottled cloister and orbs of warding making sure the user doesn't die? Having crucible main to make sure academy ruins is always available? With Ipnet Rivulet/crucible as another wincon? And jesters cap?

I love it.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Is this winning purely off of recurring spellbomb on the back of bridge/bottled cloister and orbs of warding making sure the user doesn't die? Having crucible main to make sure academy ruins is always available? With Ipnet Rivulet/crucible as another wincon? And jesters cap?

I love it.

yes that is correct. spellbomb and rivulet and jesters cap are the wincons with bridge/cloister/orbs to slow everything down enough to make the lock complete. It's insane

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

spicy

Mezzanon posted:

yes that is correct. spellbomb and rivulet and jesters cap are the wincons with bridge/cloister/orbs to slow everything down enough to make the lock complete. It's insane

What in the gently caress.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

What in the gently caress.

I have challenged my teammate to win a game with Jester's Cap this weekend

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

My Oath opponent had to Force my Jester's Cap in vintage once because the game was over if he didn't.

KenBearlLOLOL
Feb 1, 2006
ASK ME ABOUT MY BORDERLINE ALCOHOLISM

suicidesteve posted:

My Oath opponent had to Force my Jester's Cap in vintage once because the game was over if he didn't.

I sideboarded 3 Jester's Cap in Uba Stax almost the whole time I played it a little over a decade ago. Oath, TPS and some Gifts variants were just dead to the first activation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
All right, so we were spitballing in the Discord channel about dumb permission decks and I had a terrible idea and should be stabbed to death in an alley for it: Sultai Faeries.

Something like Noble Hierarch or Birds of Paradise, Spellstutter Sprite, Bitterblossom, Vendilion Clique, Mistbind Clique, and perhaps Tasigur or Gurmag Angler or Tarmogoyf. Run the usual suspects for spells in those colors with Liliana of the Veil or Liliana, the Last Hope, Thoughtaeizr, Logic Knot, Cryptic Command, Abrupt Decay, and Maelstrom Pulse.