Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 373 days!
Yeah, it must be the fueling - I went over the bike just now and everything was exactly the way it should be. Gonna have to just go ride the thing a whole lot to get used to it I guess

side note: pretty sure i could take it apart down to the pistons with one hand and half an allen key. i love it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Pretty sure the FZ/MTs had a EFI update. The PO may not have had it updated yet.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Went for a ride around pretty much every good road near me today. Took six and a half hours with a lunch break and gas ups.

Bonus found on picnic table

advion
Jul 25, 2005

kloa posted:

Pretty sure the FZ/MTs had a EFI update. The PO may not have had it updated yet.

That still wasn't a big improvement and the only way to fix it is have the ECU flashed. I did it on the FZ09 and I highly recommend it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

If you have a yamaha, go yank the ECU and send it to Nels at 2WheelDyno works for a flash. You'll be so happy you did.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Some days are better than others.

Three pygmies and three brutes.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I went up Mount Hamilton last Friday. The smog was especially pretty that evening.

I saw something worth a stop along the way.

I talked to the driver of the crashed car. He claimed to have swung off to avoid an oncoming car. His passenger was waken to a hospital. Given some of the cliffs on this road, I would elect to just hit the oncoming car then risk veering off tbh, at least when driving a car myself.

Sagebrush, I and a passenger went up to Stewart's point the other day. Carl the fog was out in force.

There were a lot of terrible tourists too, veering fully into oncoming lane even on mild turns.

I managed to get my bike to take a nap at a stop on Skaggs' road by dismounting before my passenger. Don't do this, folks.

View from Skaggs.

Finally, here's someone else's bike I saw on the street. I have not seen this engine before.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

That's a BMW K-series -- 3 or 4 cylinder inline, longitudinal, laid on its side. You're looking at the valve cover.

That one has 8 bolts so I think it's the K100.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Yeah it's a 100. Good candidate for custom modding because they're no fun at all to ride.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

That bobber looks pretty drat good!

Edit: except that pipe. Yikes!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Yeah it's a 100. Good candidate for custom modding because they're no fun at all to ride.

I once rode a k1200 trike and I found the car engine excellent!

Which k bike is the ultra angular top-heavy tourer with baffling narrow sporty bars that make it horrible to ride?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

As in "nobody will care if you gently caress it up, and you can't possibly make it worse"?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Some days are better than others.

https://i.imgur.com/NlMC4Ib.jpg

Three pygmies and three brutes.

Hey CBR buddy. I got a rear seat cowl thing because I'm married.

Think I've posted like a million bike, bicycle and car photos from that spot. It's my favorite.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

dema posted:

Think I've posted like a million bike, bicycle and car photos from that spot. It's my favorite.

You have no idea how insanely jealous I, living in southern England, am of anyone who actually has access to proper scenery. I mean there are some pretty areas not far from London, but nothing on that kind of scale short of the Alps. Like *maaaybe* the Scottish Highlands or wilder bits of the Lake District could at least be compared to that sort of thing but it wouldn't be a favourable comparison.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You have no idea how insanely jealous I, living in southern England, am of anyone who actually has access to proper scenery. I mean there are some pretty areas not far from London, but nothing on that kind of scale short of the Alps. Like *maaaybe* the Scottish Highlands or wilder bits of the Lake District could at least be compared to that sort of thing but it wouldn't be a favourable comparison.

Box Hill, Dover, Camber sands, Dungeness... No wait they're all poo poo. You just have to go for the different sort of pretty. Lots of nice places for snaps between city and coast.

I have lots of scenic shot opportunities within a few hours tops, all I had to do was move to the other side of the world to get them.

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol, I'm from the Netherlands. I can't even think of a place here I would take a nice picture.

Here's a picture of my ratty 800 euro bike in front of my old job. It's my first bike so obviously I bought a 24 year old 800cc thumper with 5 previous owners of a fellow student. Because I make good decisions.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You had a DR Big? :allears: tell me all about it

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Have,
Got my License June 2017, bought the bike 2 months later with ~58000km on the counter but the previous owner isn't 100% sure the engine wasn't swapped around at some point.

I wanted a ADV bike and had something like a transalp in mind. But was indecisive with all the online offerings because I had limited technical experience. One of the reasons I decided to buy a motorcycle was that I'm a very inexperienced mechanical engineer and felt like I needed to get some hands on wrenching experience.

Then this guy in my University motorcycle club placed one of his 3(!) dr800s up for sale to club members at "1 euro per CC." So I impulse bought it.

Fun fact, same guy attempted to convert one of his other BIGs to EFI:
https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/the-dr800-big-efi-project.901800/
IIRC it ended up exploding itself. The garage you see in those pics is the University student motorcycle club's where I also do my maintenance using communal tools.

Before he bought it the bike actually had black plastics:

It was also used by the PO on the zwarte cross in this livery:

Which is why it's got blue and gold handguards (and the fuel tank underneath the fairings).
Quit my job last februari to go back to Uni to finish my Master's and had to turn in the company lease car so now it's my only transportation. Most significant thing's it's been used for has been volunteer traffic controller at the Batavierenrace where we got to line up all 100+ bikes along the finish after being awake for 30 hours:

So far I've done about 5000km tops, because all of my daily stuff is within cycling distance, and replaced the following: Battery, front brake line, speedo cable, gears and chain, rear left indicator which now is broken for the second time and added usb charging.
I also "repaired" a tear in the carb vacuum diaphragm with a bicycle punture repair kit.

Whether it's a good/bad bike? I have no idea, I don't have enough experience to tell really. I get asspain after a while riding it but I got the same on my learner Kawasaki ER6N and I put it down to my weak core muscles/posture. Dislike riding it on the highway, but again, felt the same about that on the learner bike.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

AlexanderCA posted:

I also "repaired" a tear in the carb vacuum diaphragm with a bicycle punture repair kit.

:psyduck:

How well does it actually run?

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Well it had a lot of problems stalling, after half-assedly cleaning the carbs, adjusting some screws and deploying that "fix" it mostly doesn't unless I gently caress up pulling the clutch on time when coming to a stop.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

dema posted:

Simply amazing.

mad.radhu
Jan 8, 2006

Fun Shoe

dema posted:

that little turnout is probably my favorite spot on skyline. It's absolutely gorgeous every time.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I finally rode w somebody instead of solo!

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

M42 posted:

What's the helmet?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Went riding in tahuya with a newer rider today. It kicked his rear end, but he had fun!

I was on a 125sx, he was on a xt225.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

I am envious of both you having that bike and getting to ride it through that particular environment.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

M42 posted:

You make the SV look huge!

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

A shortish group ride, lead the guys on a 450ish km loop. Still learning how to ride it though, taking a baby steps approach. I'm much slower than I was on the CB500 mid corner because I still have no idea where the limits are, getting there though. Felt good on the return run via Launch, was even brave enough to hang off a bit again like I used to.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

pokie posted:

What's the helmet?

X14

Barnsy posted:

You make the SV look huge!

You should see what I do to real big bikes then

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
You guys

You guuuuuuys

:swoon:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's beautiful!!! Congrats on the upgrade :)

Looks flame resistant, too!

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Kawasaki W800? I didn't even know that model existed. Looks sharp!

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

You guys

You guuuuuuys

Congrats! Cool bikes, very rare over here in the states and thus people want $6k for them. Love the bevel drive.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
Good posts on this page.

Slim Pickens posted:

Went riding in tahuya with a newer rider today. It kicked his rear end, but he had fun!

I was on a 125sx, he was on a xt225.

Where'd you go? I was riding in Tahuya on Thursday and Friday. We usually park here https://goo.gl/maps/wsDCyWqDhsB2 and ride from there.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
We went Sunday and parked at elfendahl And just rode the tahuya River trail and similar stuff. Then we went on overland and hoo boy. I did fine but my buddy struggled on the roots and rocks, dropped his bike a ton and drained the battery from all the restarts. He just needs more seat time, but he had fun.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Renaissance Robot posted:

You guys

You guuuuuuys

Oh this is beautiful. I'd love one of these. Alas I live in the UK, so everyone would give me dirty looks for choosing this and not one of the many thousands of Bonnevilles littered about the place.

Slide Hammer
May 15, 2009

Azza Bamboo posted:

Oh this is beautiful. I'd love one of these. Alas I live in the UK, so everyone would give me dirty looks for choosing this and not one of the many thousands of Bonnevilles littered about the place.

Renaissance Robot is also in the UK! If I've been keeping the right tallies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 373 days!
Well I've had the bike for nearly two weeks, and it's a different color now

This matte aurora pearl is a real good look. Have to do the front fender bits, and then I've got to do something about that tail UFO.