Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I was at work during the game but I followed on Gameday, and holy gently caress, they barely scraped by with a win. They needed every goddamn run, and this team should not be struggling against the Padres of all loving teams.... :doh:

Meanwhile, the Rockies didn't do us any favors, and I'm really feeling bad for Wade Davis. :( Everyone else dodged a bullet by avoiding that signing, and also Greg Holland.... :yikes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Bright side is Quintana looked great yesterday, we really need him to be strong for the post season.

Bullpen is looking a bit wobbly, really hoping we get Morrow back soon.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the cubs need to reboot kyle and hope his operating system got rid of the giving up a home run in the first inning bug

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Don't forget, Montgomery was solid too, but that was an "Error CUB: Offense Not Found" game.

-----------------------------------------

Hey, I need a new Cubs-themed avatar; my last one was a photo of Chapman and "beat wife. so what" text but I can't think of anything clever for this season. :(

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Atomizer posted:

Don't forget, Montgomery was solid too, but that was an "Error CUB: Offense Not Found" game.

-----------------------------------------

Hey, I need a new Cubs-themed avatar; my last one was a photo of Chapman and "beat wife. so what" text but I can't think of anything clever for this season. :(

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

*ok don't fart don't fart don't......dammit*

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I'm getting inspiration from you guys! :neckbeard:

What should the text be? I'm thinking either:
"can't pitch. so what"
or
"Justin Wilson. so what"
(leaning towards the latter)

Thoughts? I'm open to alternatives!

I could also do Strop's portrait and "hat crooked. so what" or Bote and something like "Bote McBoteface". Maybe Ben and "old man. so what" or Schwarbo and "hits dingers. so what"

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Atomizer posted:

I'm getting inspiration from you guys! :neckbeard:

What should the text be? I'm thinking either:
"can't pitch. so what"
or
"Justin Wilson. so what"
(leaning towards the latter)

Thoughts? I'm open to alternatives!

I could also do Strop's portrait and "hat crooked. so what" or Bote and something like "Bote McBoteface". Maybe Ben and "old man. so what" or Schwarbo and "hits dingers. so what"

I like “Bote McBoteface”

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So I know he had a meltdown and it made his final line look ugly but I feel the need to point out that since his start on July 3rd Kyle has 5 BB's to 40 K's in 40.2 IP.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what does kyle hendricks have against christian villanueva

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

<---- I did a thing! :neckbeard:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Sarah_Cubs/status/1025870069736374272%5C

:3:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

how did strop manage to coexist with john lackey

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

R.D. Mangles posted:

how did strop manage to coexist with john lackey

I'm guessing the only time Lackey ever talked to any of the Latino players was just to blame Willson Contreras for his bad starts.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'm guessing the only time Lackey ever talked to any of the Latino players was just to blame Willson Contreras for his bad starts.

I know there was obviously the Ross / Lester pairing, but didn't Arrieta eventually bitch about throwing to Contreras, too?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Not that I can remember. The only Arrieta catcher beef I can remember was Montero blaming him for all the stolen bases.

I remember both Hendricks and Hammel gushing about the games Contreras was calling back in 16.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Rosario's luck finally ran out.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

Rosario's luck finally ran out.

I mean, yeah, but Joe also left him out to face multiple RHH's in a one run game, when he clearly didn't have his best stuff despite Kintzler supposedly being available.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Also, having Bad Lester show up to start things off didn't help.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
strike 3

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Hernandez had a dinner reservation he didn't want to miss.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm weirded out that that pitch doesn't seem to have shown up on cubsump and I'm concerned I have terminal cubsbrain now

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Poque posted:

I'm weirded out that that pitch doesn't seem to have shown up on cubsump and I'm concerned I have terminal cubsbrain now

If they posted every bad Angel Hernandez call, it'd probably bog down the entirety of Twitter.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Sydin posted:

I mean, yeah, but Joe also left him out to face multiple RHH's in a one run game, when he clearly didn't have his best stuff despite Kintzler supposedly being available.

I didn't understand that at all. Renfroe is dangerous.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Contract Angel Hernandez. :colbert:

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Fun fact, I know Jake Junis’s dad, so I hope the Cubs win, but score like just 1 run off Jake. Knowing my luck, the Cubs will score 8 over the first 3 innings, but the bullpen will blow it in the 9th.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
so why does anyone even bother throwing strikes to Javy

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Ein cooler Typ posted:

He is simultaneously the most exciting and most frustrating player on the roster.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Basically a combination of stubbornness on the part of pitchers and them making mistakes. It's just as easy to accidentally throw a strike when you mean to have something break out of the zone as vice versa.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Hamels owns

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

All it took was getting out of the hell zone that is Globe Life Park.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

2-0 11 IP 10 H 2 R 1 ER 3 BB 11 K so far with the Cubs

By all means Chatwood, feel free to take your time figuring it out.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I don't think they mean to. He's just capitalizing on pitcher mistakes way more than he used to.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

to my eye it looks to me like javy's laying off some of the more egregious balls this season. but also his bat control and speed are insane, he's almost always behind in the count and when a pitcher should just be throwing absolute dog poo poo at him he's somehow making contact and poking things to the opposite field while also just blasting monster dingshots, there were a million ways javy could have gone and i feel like we're seeing the best possible javy

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Hamels figured out the secret to success on this team. Throw loving strikes and let you're amazing defense get outs. That play by Javy at third was insane.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Also, he has a little more motivation on this team.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Bird in a Blender posted:

Fun fact, I know Jake Junis’s dad, so I hope the Cubs win, but score like just 1 run off Jake. Knowing my luck, the Cubs will score 8 over the first 3 innings, but the bullpen will blow it in the 9th.

Well I got my wish, so thanks for sucking at the beginning Cubs.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/ckamka/status/1026673254998663168

:fap:

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Niwrad posted:

That play by Javy at third was insane.

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/1026815338036580352

:allears:

Also his homer last night and every other one from here on out will be a career high for a season and there are still 50 games left to play.

Kevlar v2.0 fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Aug 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
the Pedro Strop Road Trip might be my favorite one yet

https://twitter.com/Cubs/status/1026255781556051968

Javy has like 10,000 chains, Darvish looks incredible, and Happ has the most ridiculous jacket in history

• Locked thread