Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Things that are size 2 (jotuns, centaurs, clockworks) are gonna be overpowered in combat. In theory they have restrictions on being able to go places but in practice that often means shutting them out of the adventure or important scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

kingcom posted:

I think playing a robot is inherently a bit shittier than everyone else but otherwise its fine go nuts.

If you play RAW, then you have to roll for purpose / form as a Clockwork, which kind of sucks. If you get to pick, they're fantastic, although you might want to avoid agility builds and builds with multiple stat dependencies.

e: There's probably also some dumb party-based bullshit you could pull with Grind the Gears if you wanted to, which I didn't factor into the above analysis but hey, it's one more lever for breaking the action economy.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jun 29, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Consider for instance that Grind the Gears says "on your turn", Accelerate lets you take two turns, you only need a "creature" to wind you back up, and that there's nothing in the rules to say that says the summoner being incapacitated causes summons to de-spawn.

:getin:

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Honestly, Insanity / Corruption can be replaced with any kind of combo of one thing that makes your character feel bad, and one thing that they got from being a douche. Get all Tolkein and make it Despair / Shadow. Run Shadow of the Demon CEO and make it hosed Up / A loving Cop. You get the idea.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Does Godless play with the Insanity/Corruption at all?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
A thing I wrote for SotDL was released today: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/246028/In-the-Emperors-Secret-Service?src=newest

It's cool, and Rob made it even better in editing.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
So, going to run this and I'm very excited. We'll be using the zones rules, for my sanity, but I'm wondering if there could be any benefit to adding a "reach" or "engaged" condition or something. Something like a single move could be either changing zones or moving within your zone, but you have to be engaged with something to attack it in melee. I realize this is a bit of a nerf to melee combatants, but my goal is to make short-ranged ranged weapons have a purpose, as this campaign will be javelin, sling, and blowgun heavy. It could make melee more sticky, too, as you'd have to retreat to engage something you aren't engaged with currently. Thoughts? Is this a good idea? A needless complication?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
The way magic works in SotDL doesn't really fit the way it does in Iron Kingdoms and I'm torn between ignoring that or dropping the sweet background lore and doing something more D&D-like, which would leave me some room to play around with races. I honestly don't care much for the default setting of Urth, even though it has some cool stuff here and there.

Azran fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 4, 2018

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

This game's great but our GM was getting sick of fantasy settings so she had us try out Lancer which is a homebrew game that blends the SotDL system with Armored Core and I gotta say having the nice skill check/initiative system with insane amounts of robot customization pushes so many buttons I didn't know I had. Wait until they proofread and format the pdf better and maybe add some more art and definitely check it out.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Nanomashoes posted:

This game's great but our GM was getting sick of fantasy settings so she had us try out Lancer which is a homebrew game that blends the SotDL system with Armored Core and I gotta say having the nice skill check/initiative system with insane amounts of robot customization pushes so many buttons I didn't know I had. Wait until they proofread and format the pdf better and maybe add some more art and definitely check it out.

Lancer does indeed own. You can give the creators feedback on the discord if you have any, he's always looking for actual play reports.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

Hey I would have ran Runequest had the developers of that actually released the GM guide and monster guide with it instead of just releasing the player's guide like a bunch of chumps.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

Yo, does anyone know if there are any expert paths that focus on using chaos magic? There's thaumaturge as a master path but I don't care for it very much. For a character I'm building I want to double up on expert paths.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Regular rear end regular wizard? Not sure how much focus you require.

So Enemy Hp seems a bit on the low side. Obviously that's partly my fault but I thought the base 50 would be heaps, then two rounds of decent rolls and well poo poo. Melee guys, if they all hit can do like 8D6+2 and then there's the Scout doing 2D6+1 and then getting extra turns on a 20, there's also the caster who's not really gone nova yet but that will be exciting for sure.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Glukeose posted:

Yo, does anyone know if there are any expert paths that focus on using chaos magic? There's thaumaturge as a master path but I don't care for it very much. For a character I'm building I want to double up on expert paths.

The number of expert paths specializing in a specific schools is really tiny and i think may be limited almost exclusively to the DLC2 (auspex, sillhouette etc)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Out of curiosity, how do the Endurance rules from Forbidden Rules (replace Healing Rate with Endurance) interact with stuff like the Warrior's Catch your Breath, considering (if I'm reading this correctly) you can just choose to spend endurance at will? As far as I can see, the only benefit is that you get to use a triggered action instead of an action.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Azran posted:

Out of curiosity, how do the Endurance rules from Forbidden Rules (replace Healing Rate with Endurance) interact with stuff like the Warrior's Catch your Breath, considering (if I'm reading this correctly) you can just choose to spend endurance at will? As far as I can see, the only benefit is that you get to use a triggered action instead of an action.

I mean the really obvious thing would be that using those abilities doesn't actually spend any of your limited endurance points, so even beyond any ancillary benefits the ability might confer (which are substantial for the other 3 basic paths and some of the warrior variants) each of those abilities represents some amount of additional total healing per rest above and beyond the 1d6-3d6 you'd get per rest from endurance

that rules does obviously change the relative value of different healing options (and HP in general), and may not be particularly balanced, which is why it's in forbidden rules

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I've heard a lot of good stuff about this game and want to give it a shot with some friends I normally play 5E D&D with, is there anything I should absolutely pick up besides the Core book and an intro adventure?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Toebone posted:

I've heard a lot of good stuff about this game and want to give it a shot with some friends I normally play 5E D&D with, is there anything I should absolutely pick up besides the Core book and an intro adventure?

For just starting out in that situation, just the core book and a starting adventure will do. You could look at the Demon Lord's Companion, but most likely the core book will cover everything you need.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Toebone posted:

I really like the alternate novice paths for martial characters in Bred For Battle (and it's only like $7 for the pdf) but you'll be fine with just the core book.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I really like the alternate novice paths for martial characters in Bred For Battle (and it's only like $7 for the pdf) but you'll be fine with just the core book.

I seriously don't use any fighter other than the mage/fighter from that book

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I was potentially interested in running this and read early in the thread that some of the core rulebook classes (fighter especially) aren't very good but were updated with a splatbook. There was also word that the changes might be included in the core.

Did this end up happening?

Serf
May 5, 2011

KPC_Mammon posted:

I was potentially interested in running this and read early in the thread that some of the core rulebook classes (fighter especially) aren't very good but were updated with a splatbook. There was also word that the changes might be included in the core.

Did this end up happening?

The core paths aren't bad, especially not the Warrior, who gets to hit things hard and often, like a good martial type should. The changes to the Fighter path were very good though and are included in the PDF version now.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Serf posted:

The core paths aren't bad, especially not the Warrior, who gets to hit things hard and often, like a good martial type should. The changes to the Fighter path were very good though and are included in the PDF version now.

I thought he rolled those back because people complained?

Serf
May 5, 2011

LeSquide posted:

The G+ conversation is hard to follow, but it looks like that went over to a discussion of whether or not they would do another print run with the updated rules because people are ridiculous.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LeSquide posted:

I just checked by downloading the latest version of the core book PDF and the Fighter there is identical to the Bred for Battle one.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Yes, the PDF was and remains updated to the new Fighter.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Speaking of better Fighter mechanics, I wish Defender and Conqueror (at least) were revised to be Expert paths instead of Master paths. I know the game is all "ascending tiers of complexity" and so on but those functions really shouldn't take until the end of the campaign to kick in.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Speaking of better Fighter mechanics, I wish Defender and Conqueror (at least) were revised to be Expert paths instead of Master paths. I know the game is all "ascending tiers of complexity" and so on but those functions really shouldn't take until the end of the campaign to kick in.

you're not wrong, though I will say that the Knight from Paths of Battle does do some similar things to both those paths at the expert level

in general there are a number of master paths with cool level 10 capstones that make you feel like they probably should have come into play sooner- you don't want level 10 to be a bummer, but I think the master paths that concentrate the build-defining stuff at level 7 generally come across as better designed

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
SotDL is cool and good. How do I get my tabletop group who started TTRPG's with 5th ed. D&D to switch over? Inertia and familiarity conspire to make no one want to switch no matter how hard I try to sell it.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Run a game.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Mention SotDL is from one of D&D's designers and that he fixed what he thought were the main flaws. That's how my group switched and they call it "D&D but Better" now.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Go "I want to run something else for you guys one day" and then run SotDL that day and then see if some or all of the people there want to play SotDL regularly instead.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The goony option is to sabotage 5e games by consistently creating situations that showcase the rules potholes and busting out the imbalanced power builds.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

The goony option is to sabotage 5e games by consistently creating situations that showcase the rules potholes and busting out the imbalanced power builds.

Not if you're trying to convince people to play Shadow of the Demon Lord it isn't.

Like, SotDL is cool because it's streamlined and (relatively) well-templated, but it's not a hard game to break, and not just in terms of power level but in terms of "my turn is going to take 15 minutes to resolve" as well.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Propose the game with no strings attached. Our group went from 5e dnd to sotdl because it fit the oppressive tone of the GMs setting better. The GM proposed it as "no strings attached if you dont like it well switch back" and people people liked it. If they didnt then it wouldnt be a fun game anyway.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Not if you're trying to convince people to play Shadow of the Demon Lord it isn't.

Like, SotDL is cool because it's streamlined and (relatively) well-templated, but it's not a hard game to break, and not just in terms of power level but in terms of "my turn is going to take 15 minutes to resolve" as well.

Got an example of that? I don't doubt it, I'm just curious about what that lookslike in SoDL.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

LeSquide posted:

Got an example of that? I don't doubt it, I'm just curious about what that lookslike in SoDL.

The main thing is that SotDL has very few sanity checks for players exploiting the action economy.

Behold, The Disney Princess

This is a Magician / Sorcerer / Beastmaster build, specializing in Primal, Theurgy, and Transformation magic.

As a Sorcerer they can boost the duration of any spells they cast by one category, so all those 1-hour "Call X Animal" spells now last for 8 hours, basically enough time to explore a whole dungeon unless your GM gets wise (and if they do, you just have to ration it a bit.) So right off the bat you can pretty much spend a full adventuring day rolling around as yourself, three badgers, two wolves, a bear, and a dinosaur (adding more critters as you increase in level.)

But wait, it gets better. You can cast Befriend Animal three times a day at max level, and maintain Befriended animals up to your Power. As a Disney Princess you presumably have no problem finding mice, birds, etc. to befriend, or you could go a grosser route and just say you're completely covered in fleas at all times. Beastmaster's Primal Bond allows you to extend the effect of any spell that targets you to one animal you have charmed that is within medium range. Transformation magic lets you transform yourself into a Huge or Large animal, which you extend to your fleas / mice / whatever to turn them into Large / Huge animals.

Finally, you take Theurgy for Divine Aid, which gives +15 HP to any number of creatures within short range of you for 1 hour. You can extend this to 8 hours if you want, but be careful of Sorcerous Outburst when you position everyone. This gives your critters some staying power, even if they're small (and is also just generally an incredibly good party buff.) When you need a burst of extra power, Call of the Wild gives you a nice five-target general buff for 1 minute, and Avatar gives you and your largest critter a huge boost to survivability and damage output.

Give me a minute to stat it up and I'll post a Time magic build, which is even worse.

e: accidentally left in some extra spells from an earlier version of the build, fixed now

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 11, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Okay, here we are: Tempus Fugitive

This is a Spellguard / Spellbinder / Arcanist build, specializing in Arcana, Battle, and Time magic.

So, the basic gimmick here is one I've explored before: on your fast turn you make an attack with your longbow (okay damage, ludicrous range) and use Spellguard Expertise to cast Twain Self. Your Twained Self uses their fast turn to attack and uses Spellguard Expertise to cast Accelerate, which procs over to you. You then both take your slow turns, attacking and casting more self-buffs or just going straight for the Battle spells like Mighty Attack to boost your damage further.

You'll need to pre-buff your Spellbinder abilities because otherwise you can't cast while holding a longbow, but there are solutions to this in a pinch. (Offhand implement, mainhand pistol or hand crossbow, then use your three total minor activities at the end of the fast turn and beginning of the slow turn to holster your weapon and implement and then draw your bow.)

For the next minute, each round, you get:
4 attacks (two of you, taking a fast and slow turn each)
4 spells (Spellguard Expertise has no per-round limits, so one for each attack)
2 arcana spells (each of you can use your triggered action to cast one via Swift Arcana)

You deal 5d6+1 damage with 2 boons with each longbow attack, or 7d6+1 with 3 boons with Mighty Attack. (The other Battle spells give a boon but no damage bonus.)

The downside, of course, is that Accelerate is 2/day and Twain Self is 1/day, and you don't have enough castings of your low-level spells to support the amount of spellslinging you're doing each time you use the combo. Spell Recovery bumps Twain Self up to effectively 2/day, but encounter math in SotDL typically points to about 4 encounters per day. So what do you do?

Well, Harness Magic gives you 1d6+3 "free levels" of spells to cast on whatever you want. Casting Harness Magic will always give you enough juice to cast Twain Self, and half the time it'll give you enough to cast Accelerate + Twain Self, sometimes even with points to spare. On top of that, Arcana Mastery lets you "trade down" Arcana spells to cast any equal or lower-level spell you know. So you load up on high-level Arcana spells that you never intend to cast -- Arcane Retribution is an obvious pick, and you can also grab Stun Pulse from Godless if your GM allows it, or Suppress Magic if they don't. Either way, these trade down into Harness Magic, which gives you more of everything.

It's possible to build a variation of this setup that novas harder but can only do it once or twice a day, if you prefer. I posted about this before -- Gunslinger is a good exit for maximum per-attack damage, and Mage Knight has a truly degenerate combo with Spellguard if triggered actions count as actions, but opinions differ on that subject and the rulebook doesn't really help.

Playing a Clockwork gives you even more ways of snagging extra actions, but their agility isn't great and Grind the Gears comes with a steep drawback (not so bad if someone on your team can commit a summon or two to winding you back up when you run down, though.)

e: Bonus -- you can make Tracer from Overwatch.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Aug 6, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Why can't you cast while holding a longbow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

Why can't you cast while holding a longbow?

You need to wield an implement to cast spells, but a longbow requires both hands. The Spellbinder expert path gives you Spellbound Weapon, which is cast on a weapon and lets you use it as an implement.