Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who should be the Mod?
This poll is closed.
Anidav 14 0.14%
Dr Spaceman 2 0.02%
JBP 12 0.12%
bell jar 1 0.01%
GoldStandardConure 7 0.07%
Joseph Stalin 10016 99.64%
Total: 10052 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

in sky's apology they state they dont share Cottrell's views, implying they do share the views of everybody else on their channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I think that's what they call a self-own

bigis
Jun 21, 2006
A few niggles around the sky news offices today aye

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

At least they did the bare minimum

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Who will they invite on then have to apologise for this week?

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

in sky's apology they state they dont share Cottrell's views, implying they do share the views of everybody else on their channel.
They don't share his view of saying the quiet part loud.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
We regret giving Blair Cottrell a regular whistle which can easily be heard by most humans, instead of this patented dog whistle which can only be heard by our regular viewership of slobbering, smooth-brained freaks

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
loving lol
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/06/andrew-bolt-got-his-facts-wrong-but-thats-not-the-only-thing-wrong-with-his-column

quote:

Bolt’s most dramatic claim concerned not the Jews but the Chinese. In Box Hill, a moderately well-to-do suburb in Melbourne’s east, he informed us, “an astonishing two-thirds of residents were born in China or have Chinese ancestry.”

This figure is indeed astonishing but not for the reason Bolt believed. Bolt appears to have arrived at this figure by adding those who claimed to have Chinese ancestry in the 2016 census (35.4%) to those born in China (27.6%). Ancestry and country of birth, however, were not alternatives but entirely separate questions. Someone born in China would have ticked both relevant boxes. By Bolt’s method of calculation, an even more astonishing 111.8% of residents in the suburb where I live, Hurstbridge, are “Australian”. Judging by place of birth, ancestry and language, the census reveals that a little over one-third of the residents of Box Hill, not two-thirds, are ethnically Chinese.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

racing identity posted:

We regret giving Blair Cottrell a regular whistle which can easily be heard by most humans, instead of this patented dog whistle which can only be heard by our regular viewership of slobbering, smooth-brained freaks

Close

Sky News Australia has announced The Adam Giles Show will be reviewed and placed “in recess” after it broadcast an interview with far-right extremist Blair Cottrell.
The channel’s chief executive, Angelos Frangopoulos, also announced that Cottrell, who has previously said he wanted a portrait of Hitler in every school classroom, would “not be back on the channel” after his invitation sparked outrage.

The channel’s political editor, David Speers, also delivered an on-air condemnation of the decision, describing Cottrell as a “neo-Nazi”.

“I’d rather not have to talk about internal issues but this is one of those times when something has to be said,” he said. “We’re not the first channel to put Blair Cottrell to air … but that’s no excuse. He should never have been invited on the Adam Giles program last night and someone should have stopped that happening.

“This isn’t about censorship, it’s about avoiding the deep offence and hurt it has caused to give a platform to a self-confessed Neo-Nazi ... legitimising, normalising or mainstreaming these sorts of repugnant views is not OK.”

Lid fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Aug 6, 2018

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Just ask someone to actually read it and they'll quickly agree. (On top of the racist screeds it's a really bad book)

There is a new academic edition of the book with an up front essay, and commentary interspersed throughout the book explaining the historical context behind the ideas in the book - the great depression, the way the great war ended, the failure of the nobility, etc - and historical results, ie war and genocide on scales not seen before or since. It was timed because the Bavarianian State Government's 70 year ownership of the copyright was due to end, leaving it public domain, and academics wanted a definitive, educational, anti-nazi edition of the book out there first, before neo-nazi groups started reprinting their own editions. Not sure if they still have plans to translate it into English.

https://www.ifz-muenchen.de/aktuelles/themen/edition-mein-kampf/mein-kampf-english/

It's the only edition of Mein Kampf anyone should ever read.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Aug 6, 2018

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
David Speers is like the only good thing about Sky News and they probably don't pay him enough

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Anidav posted:

David Speers is like the only good thing about Sky News and they probably don't pay him enough

They must pay him plenty for him to not walk away from that garbage fire.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Queensland strong...

Mattjpwns
Dec 14, 2006

In joyful strains then let us sing
ADVANCE AUSTRALIA FUCKED

Anidav posted:

Queensland strong...

either I'm missing something obvious but that's Victoria, which to my knowledge isn't part of Queensland... yet

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Sorry I was saying earlier that the African gang poo poo might maybe work but I can see Victoria is better than the average Australian. Also, Greens on 18.

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
ReachTEL

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

I like the look of those poll numbers. Labor/Greens coalition 1000 year reich here we go!

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Reef slush fund came out of the childcare budget apparently

https://twitter.com/KKeneally/status/1026432786322735107

@KKeneally: Today the @afr reports that @TurnbullMalcolm quietly cut $440m from childcare in the May budget.
Yet 🎩 found $444m to give to his banking & mining mates at @GBRFoundation — in the very same budget.
How out of touch is Mr Turnbull? Does he think we won’t notice such things? https://t.co/8VSe8i3HKn

They know it's a loss, they're just looting what they can now.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I do not support any party that entertains the tenants of fascism and I will not vote for them.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

Queensland strong...

https://twitter.com/GhostWhoVotes/status/1026370008727744512

"It's not working, publish more African gang stories"

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 6, 2018

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

QUACKTASTIC posted:

I do not support any party that entertains the tenants of fascism and I will not vote for them.

Hey, maybe those tenants don't have anywhere else to live but in the fascism building, you ever think of that? :xd:

Sorry.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I read this and seriously can't figure out where ReachTEL's biases lay. Overestimating Greens?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Starshark posted:

Hey, maybe those tenants don't have anywhere else to live but in the fascism building, you ever think of that? :xd:

Sorry.

Mein eyes have been opened

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Starshark posted:

I read this and seriously can't figure out where ReachTEL's biases lay. Overestimating Greens?

There are a lot of issues with ReachTEL, but the main ones are sample bias inherent in only polling people dumb enough to spend 5 minutes talking to a computer at dinner time, and very loose quotas leading to under/overpolling of certain demographics, meaning the few responses they do get for them need to be weighted heavily, which increases the margin of error.

In the case of overestimating the Greens primary, it is likely that their overall sample only includes a very small number of young people, who would tend to be politically engaged young people who want to have their say about politics, who are more likely to vote Green. Then those responses get weighted more heavily because they are an underrepresented demographic, and it makes the Greens vote look bigger than it actually is

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hmm Top Story on Fairfax is about Barnaby Joyce contemplating suicide.

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Anidav posted:

Hmm Top Story on Fairfax is about Barnaby Joyce contemplating suicide.

gently caress yeah. He suck starts a shotgun, we go to an early election, we end up with the complete destruction of the LNP as a government. His wife and side piece divvy up his generous pension and his inland rail based land parcels.

It’s a win for everyone.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I did not expect to wake up to the phrase suck start a shotgun. I guess I'll put that one in the vault for later use.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I'd probably kill myself if I was Barnaby Joyce tbh

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

tbh if he wants to identify as a farmer then killing himself is a pretty good way to do so

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Dude McAwesome posted:

tbh if he wants to identify as a farmer then killing himself is a pretty good way to do so

:hmmyes:

Kafka Syrup
Apr 29, 2009

racing identity posted:

There are a lot of issues with ReachTEL, but the main ones are sample bias inherent in only polling people dumb enough to spend 5 minutes talking to a computer at dinner time, and very loose quotas leading to under/overpolling of certain demographics, meaning the few responses they do get for them need to be weighted heavily, which increases the margin of error.

In the case of overestimating the Greens primary, it is likely that their overall sample only includes a very small number of young people, who would tend to be politically engaged young people who want to have their say about politics, who are more likely to vote Green. Then those responses get weighted more heavily because they are an underrepresented demographic, and it makes the Greens vote look bigger than it actually is

In the case of this particular ReachTEL poll, it's a commissioned poll by Greenpeace to coincide with the launch of a few ENGO election campaigns for this year. The questions probably had leaders.

ReachTEL coincidentally is VERY cheap to commission (like $2000 for a robopoll) and even cheaper now they're rolling out text polling.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/bluesfest-director-peter-noble-criticises-sjws-apology-lineup-critics/

The same excuses every time, how have they not learned anything? How do they not apply even the slightest bit of critical thinking to the things they say?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

screaden posted:

http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/bluesfest-director-peter-noble-criticises-sjws-apology-lineup-critics/

The same excuses every time, how have they not learned anything? How do they not apply even the slightest bit of critical thinking to the things they say?

dude, a white man said it was an inclusive event, j e e z

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Dude McAwesome posted:

gently caress yeah. He suck starts a shotgun, we go to an early election, we end up with the complete destruction of the LNP as a government. His wife and side piece divvy up his generous pension and his inland rail based land parcels.

It’s a win for everyone.

i got an erection reading this

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

bell jar posted:

i got an erection reading this

Venmo me some cash and I’ll finish you off.

Preview: it ends with Morrison and Dutton going to Nuremberg and being hanged for crimes against humanity.

Abbott takes the coward’s way out and imbibes cyanide in his cell

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

no

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

screaden posted:

Peter Noble found a new arena to be a complete piece of poo poo in? (Underpaying people being his forte) Have to almost admire the guy's agility.

Lol, just lol:

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/government-encourage-migrants-to-settle-in-regional-australia/10081604

Also apparently the State governments haven't even seen the NEG papers they are supposed to sign up to on Friday. :cb:

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2018/aug/06/josh-frydenberg-spurns-emissions-compromise-in-national-energy-guarantee

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The Victorian greens are bad at drafting bills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Dude McAwesome posted:

drat

• Locked thread