Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
who the gently caress uses ethernet on a laptop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i don't understand why logitech requires a lovely dongle and doesn't use regular rear end bluetooth

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Endless Mike posted:

i don't understand why logitech requires a lovely dongle and doesn't use regular rear end bluetooth

bluetooth is poo poo on windows and they want to sell mice to gamers and other morons that think it's a problem with bluetooth and not windows

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Endless Mike posted:

bluetooth sucks also you can’t use it in bios/recovery mode

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

just lmao if yiour computer has a bios

this isnt 1984 grandpa!!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

my kensington trackball has both a wifi dongle and regular bluetooth

i use the wifi thing because bluetooth sucks and the dongle doesn't need configuration

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cocoa Crispies posted:

bluetooth is poo poo on windows and they want to sell mice to gamers and other morons that think it's a problem with bluetooth and not windows

lol no its not. Bluetooth is poo poo for input devices so Logitech doesn't use it. You just cant tell its poo poo on osx because input lag is native to the os.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

anyone who works in an office with more than 10 people

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I use ethernet on my laptop but its on the usb-c dock I plug into that supplies power + mouse, keyboard, 2 monitors, ethernet, and a bunch of other usb crap off a hub

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

bluetooth sucks also you can’t use it in bios/recovery mode

that’s true on windows but not mac. you can use bluetooth in recovery on Mac.

there are bluetooth mice available from Apple, Razer and Logitech.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

some of their newer mice like the mx master and m720 do both, and have a button to switch between different computers.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Wheany posted:

what? no

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Wheany posted:

lol we have a 60floors building full of employees and zero wifi issues

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

lol we have a 60floors building full of employees and zero wifi issues

you need to spend real money on a wifi network to get that to work

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

embedded developers

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
bluetooths usability for input varies. btle is going to incur a minimum of 15ish ms of input lag and a maximum that is basically unbounded and depends not only on the competency of whoever makes the device but on how generous the OS is feeling about connection params. on osx you can get your 15ms probably if you use a HID class and on windows I’m not sure. before windows had its own what I assume is an hci stack it would have been up to the hardware implementer but with the native stack it might be better

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

morons that think it's a problem with bluetooth and not windows

Shaggar posted:

lol no its not. Bluetooth is poo poo for input devices so Logitech doesn't use it. You just cant tell its poo poo on osx because input lag is native to the os.

called it

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
apple has never made a functional input device in its existence to the point they had to get Logitech to make a working pen for their tablets. theres a reason Logitech doesn't use bt for its devices and its not the os.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
does osx still drain the battery on bt devices when not in use?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Phobeste posted:

bluetooths usability for input varies. btle is going to incur a minimum of 15ish ms of input lag and a maximum that is basically unbounded and depends not only on the competency of whoever makes the device but on how generous the OS is feeling about connection params. on osx you can get your 15ms probably if you use a HID class and on windows I’m not sure. before windows had its own what I assume is an hci stack it would have been up to the hardware implementer but with the native stack it might be better

I think you're overthinking this.

desktops rarely have Bluetooth built in but laptops nearly always have a USB-A port so a Bluetooth mouse has a smaller potential install base than a usb dongle mouse. also Bluetooth requires pairing while an in-box dongle doesn't so you have to provide less support. the dongles also allow for longer battery life which makes marketing happy.

so you make the dongle-mouse the main mouse you build because for 95% of people it is the same or better, then sell a basic Bluetooth version for people who bought laptops without usb-a ports or care about having something sticking 1mm outside of their precious aesthetically perfect laptop.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

Their modern mice and keyboards tend to support both.

See: M590 mouse, MX Anywhere 2S or K375s keyboard.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my mx anywhere receiver crapped out after like four year of banging into things on the side of my laptop, so i was going to get an mx anywhere 2 because it has bluetooth and i could get away from the dongles

but then i tried out the anywhere 2 and bc it uses a lithium internal battery instead of AAs it's too light so instead i just ordered a new receiver and it's fine

ok, bye

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sagebrush posted:

my mx anywhere receiver crapped out after like four year of banging into things on the side of my laptop, so i was going to get an mx anywhere 2 because it has bluetooth and i could get away from the dongles

but then i tried out the anywhere 2 and bc it uses a lithium internal battery instead of AAs it's too light so instead i just ordered a new receiver and it's fine

ok, bye

haha yep. i specifically run nicad batteries in my wireless mouse at home because theyre heavy as gently caress and they last forever anyways. better mousefeel

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the anywhere 2 is pretty good but the triathlon mouse is probably the best current model

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

anyone know why the PS3/4 controllers seem to have much less latency than other BT devices?

the same may also be true for Apple Pencil and maybe the Apple TV remote.

but other bluetooth stuff seems to have a minimum latency

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

PleasureKevin posted:

anyone know why the PS3/4 controllers seem to have much less latency than other BT devices?

None of these things are true.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

fishmech posted:

why do you believe that doesn't bluetooth have a minimum latency

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

most of the "lag" people experience from bluetooth mice is from them basically waking up from sleep and reconnecting, the ps4 controller maintains a constant connection which is a big reason why the battery lasts 6 hours instead of 3-20 months like wireless mice

actually most of it is probably psychosomatic, the remaining actual lag is from reestablishing the connection

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

so it’s neither true that some things have low latency nor that some things have high latency? what is the truth then

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

qirex posted:

most of the "lag" people experience from bluetooth mice is from them basically waking up from sleep and reconnecting, the ps4 controller maintains a constant connection which is a big reason why the battery lasts 6 hours instead of 3-20 months like wireless mice

actually most of it is probably psychosomatic, the remaining actual lag is from reestablishing the connection

i have another bluetooth controller that has perceptible lag when pushing the buttons or the analog stick. it’s definitely night and day between the two. and the same goes for the PS3 controller that has a much longer battery life.

i always thought they were like violating the bluetooth standard to increase the polling while still maintaining bluetooth compatibility with non-Playstation hardware.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

PleasureKevin posted:

i have another bluetooth controller that has perceptible lag when pushing the buttons or the analog stick. it’s definitely night and day between the two. and the same goes for the PS3 controller that has a much longer battery life.

i always thought they were like violating the bluetooth standard to increase the polling while still maintaining bluetooth compatibility with non-Playstation hardware.
sounds like you bought a lovely gamepad

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

fishmech posted:

The PS4 controller absolutely does have less latency than other controllers, like the Xbox controller.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/controllers-input-lag-comparison.58569/

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lambert posted:

The PS4 controller absolutely does have less latency than other controllers, like the Xbox controller.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/controllers-input-lag-comparison.58569/
not sure you want to put your stock in some redditor's research, especially when it comes to the conclusion that the ds4 communicates over bluetooth almost twice as fast as over usb

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

PleasureKevin posted:

at least with the PS4 they've managed to pare the data packet down to the bare minimum

here's the PS4 data format when acceleration and trackpad data isn't needed and it looks like they have it set up to jam all of the essential data into just 11 bytes.

if you want to see some crazy poo poo though look into the wireless systems for camera flashes. some of the third party adaptors from companies like pocketwizard have managed to get negative latency. they send the flash triggering signal to the remote flash before the camera sends the flash trigger signal by essentially performing a basic power analysis or timing attack to spot when the camera CPU is finishing up pre-exposure operations and preparing to send the actual signal.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

a 7ms difference in latency is not perceptible to a human that has a reaction time of 200-400 milliseconds

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qirex posted:

a 7ms difference in latency is not perceptible to a human that has a reaction time of 200-400 milliseconds

i am always really entertained by the "i am really good at my thing so i defy physics/biology" attitudes that are so pervasive among hobbyists

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

qirex posted:

the real question is the number of lost packets

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

qirex posted:

hmmm but have you considered this decisive evidence https://twitter.com/noodalls/status/818183739897327616

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

my personal favorite one is when someone with a track bicycle gets the extra strong 1/8" chain instead of regular old 3/32" like a scrub because their legs are SO POWERFUL that they would just SNAP those puny chains for babies

when the basic physics of gear ratios means that a little girl using the granny gear to climb a hill is actually putting more tension on her chain than Lance Headstrong ever will in a maximum-power sprint

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

anthonypants posted:

hmmm but have you considered this decisive evidence https://twitter.com/noodalls/status/818183739897327616

What am I supposed to be looking at here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

the bluetooth polling rate of the ds4 can be controlled by software from 1 to 62ms

• Locked thread