Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

site posted:

Watching the same repulsor beam I've seen in 5 movies already sounds pretty boring to me :shrug:

I can't believe I'm hearing it's too comic booky for a story about a bunch of comic book superheroes fighting an 8 foot tall purple monster man from a comic book with a magic gauntlet on an alien planet in a movie adapted from a comic book tho

I thought the nano tech was awesome as hell. But I just miss Tony in Hardware mode I guess, when you could see every screw and bolt in his armour. There was a simplicity to it, like watching a guy tinkering with his car. It would never work in a film like Infinity War though, and they definitely made the right call with the nanosuit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

catlord posted:

I would imagine not, unless he had someone to make sure he didn't do anything stupid with it.

Well it's not like they have a king to tell him no.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Is infinity wars still in theaters?

Does that mean my prediction that black panther would outgtoes it domestically was correct?

Only because Disney was really keen on that happening. The Force Awakens hit $700M in 16 days. Avatar did it in 72 days. It took Black Panther 171 days. That last million took over nine weeks.

After 5 weeks BP was in 3834 theaters and IW was in 3768.
After 10 weeks BP 1930 and IW 890.
After 15 weeks BP 440 and IW 205.

Despite being in half as many theaters for the last two months Infinity War is only $20M behind, but it'll never hit $700M domestic.

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

So what's the financial verdict on Ant-Man and the Wasp? I barely heard anything about it the 2nd week after opening and it already seems to be gone from theaters. Did it live up to Disney's expectations of a non-Avengers movie?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It did ever so slightly better than the first one, which was probably about what was expected.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ha, didn't realize it the first time around but in Homecoming the TV station's file photo of Spider-Man is of him coming out of a Porta Potty.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Lobok posted:

Ha, didn't realize it the first time around but in Homecoming the TV station's file photo of Spider-Man is of him coming out of a Porta Potty.

That’s when I knew the movie was gonna be special

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Just got back from Ant-Man and Wasp and I gotta say I really liked it. Nice little self-contained adventure and I like that everybody got a (relatively) happy ending. For a bit near the end I kept getting worried because my cynical rear end was just sure that there was a dark third act twist coming. Like I thought they were make Ghost more eeevil by having her kill Foster or Hank, or that Janet would wind up sacrificing herself when she used her weird quantum Jesus powers on Ghost, or that Scott would end up getting sent back to jail (but it would be framed as okay because Cassie loved him). Most of all I was worried when Bill Foster yells at Pym about how he ruined Jan's life (don't remember the exact phrasing) because all I could think was "Goddammit do we really have to work Hank Pym, Domestic Abuser™ into the MCU?" But instead everyone wound up happy, including me :).

Even though the minute the mid-credit scene started I knew exactly what was going to happen and that everyone but Scott would end up dusted (sorry Wasp, no Avenger-ing for you). Since they did strand him in the quantum realm with "healing energy" though, I wonder if that'll play into Avengers 4 at all.

Oh one more thing I noticed, for supposedly killing only half of everything randomly, the post-credits looked pretty drat post-apocalyptic with no one but a drumming ant around. Thanos hates California.

Aphrodite posted:

It did ever so slightly better than the first one, which was probably about what was expected.

It probably would've done even better if it didn't come out after IW and a bunch of people wrote it off as therefore unimportant.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 6, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

CityMidnightJunky posted:

It would never work in a film like Infinity War though, and they definitely made the right call with the nanosuit

Yeah I think all the tricks were a side effect of a needed change and not the point. For the story they're telling Tony has to a) be off planet, which means no access to other suits/parts, b) have a suit last more than 3 seconds in a fight with someone exponentially more powerful than anything the previous suits have been shown to handle, c) have some semi plausible explanation for having tools, or being able to create tools to get himself off planet in the next movie, and you can finagle the nanosuit to fulfill all those requirements

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Cocks Cable posted:

So what's the financial verdict on Ant-Man and the Wasp? I barely heard anything about it the 2nd week after opening and it already seems to be gone from theaters. Did it live up to Disney's expectations of a non-Avengers movie?

Ant-Man is the low stakes, straightforward series, so there was nothing epic or revolutionary, just a good, fun movie.

I'm slightly annoyed that Hank Pym is an unbearable rear end in a top hat to everyone he has ever met or ever meets but still gets everything he wants in the end. Not saying Janet or Hope should die, but at least be humbled in some way? It's pretty disconcerting how he's the cause of Ghost's condition, and who knows how many other fuckups, and Bill is the only one that calls him on his bullshit for real.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Samuringa posted:

Ant-Man is the low stakes, straightforward series, so there was nothing epic or revolutionary, just a good, fun movie.

I'm slightly annoyed that Hank Pym is an unbearable rear end in a top hat to everyone he has ever met or ever meets but still gets everything he wants in the end. Not saying Janet or Hope should die, but at least be humbled in some way? It's pretty disconcerting how he's the cause of Ghost's condition, and who knows how many other fuckups, and Bill is the only one that calls him on his bullshit for real.

I think blaming Pym for Ghost's condition is reaching. I mean he's definitely a dick for firing her dad and Bill for disagreeing with him, but no one forced her dad to continue experimenting with quantum poo poo.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.

Samuringa posted:

It's pretty disconcerting how he's the cause of Ghost's condition

I got beat to this but come on.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You guys missed the part where Ghost’s dad’s story is kind of bullshit.

It’s a quick line during a scene transition.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It sucks what happens to Ghost but that is not Pym's fault

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Jamesman posted:

I wonder if Wakanda would let Tony into their Vibranium stock to make a full armor out of the stuff. Look what he's been able to do by just synthesizing a small amount to power his cores.

No. He’d end up making some rear end in a top hat Pantherbuster armor*, and T’Challa is too smart for that.

*Editors Note: See “Avengers: Standoff” where Tony makes Thorbuster armor out of some asgardian metal Thor gave him.

Open Marriage Night fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 6, 2018

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Open Marriage Night posted:

No. He’d end up making some rear end in a top hat Pantherbuster armor*, and T’Challa is too smart for that.

*Editors Note: See “Avengers: Standoff” where Tony makes Thorbuster armor out of some asgardian metal Thor gave him.

Tony did make Pantherbuster armour, during Christopher Priest's run. It was a super stealth armour, but Panther neutralized all it's high tech cloaking systems with $5 worth of cleaning supplies. And a modified version of that thing that destroys Stark Tech from Armour Wars.
Of course the end result of the fight had T'Challa dying from being hit in the head multiple times by giant super strong, metal fists.

T'Challa and Tony both agreed that watching them die at each other's hand was effed up and to never fight each other again. And they never did.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

The Question IRL posted:

Tony did make Pantherbuster armour, during Christopher Priest's run. It was a super stealth armour, but Panther neutralized all it's high tech cloaking systems with $5 worth of cleaning supplies. And a modified version of that thing that destroys Stark Tech from Armour Wars.
Of course the end result of the fight had T'Challa dying from being hit in the head multiple times by giant super strong, metal fists.

T'Challa and Tony both agreed that watching them die at each other's hand was effed up and to never fight each other again. And they never did.

Why did they fight?

Also, I've been thinking of rewatching Punisher: War Zone again, because it rules. And maybe the other two Punisher films, which I've never seen. Are they okay?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Dolph Lundgren one is terrible.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Thomas Jane Punisher is ok if you can deal with it being extremely set in Miami for some reason and having a kind of lame PG vibe. It feels like it was almost a faithful adaptation and then the grit got scaled back at the last minute.

Thomas Jane is probably the best actor to play Punisher to date.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Thomas Jane Punisher is worth it for the scene where he fights The Russian.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

You guys missed the part where Ghost’s dad’s story is kind of bullshit.

It’s a quick line during a scene transition.

It does make sense that ghost's father was Egghead so the line about him stealing Pym's work is believable, rather than Pym just saying that to cover his back.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Dolph Lundgren one is terrible.

It's perfect in it's own way, and it has Frank threatening to murder a child. So that's nice.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm guessing Bautista might be on the way out. :v:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Nano anything is lazy and bad.

Explain the success of the Metal Gear Solid franchise.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I like the Thomas Jane Punisher movie. There are times where it is impossibly corny, but in the same way the Raimi Spider-Man movies are. The best Punisher is Netflix.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lurdiak posted:

The Thomas Jane Punisher is ok if you can deal with it being extremely set in Miami for some reason and having a kind of lame PG vibe. It feels like it was almost a faithful adaptation and then the grit got scaled back at the last minute.

Thomas Jane is probably the best actor to play Punisher to date.

I can't take Jane seriously as an action hero. I always picture him as that doofus guy from Boogie Nights. Also, Bernthal was way better so there's that too.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
A friend of mine swears that Dolf Lundgren has the best portrayal of the Punisher because he's the only one who seems cold and dead inside. This is of course because he's not a very good actor.

I love the Tom Jane one, it's the only one that cares about the source material. I hate War Zone because it's like they got a bunch of unrelated character names and were told "make sure it's comically violent", it felt like it missed the point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

This is just making me love him more.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I liked Punisher: War Zone because according to it the Punisher lives in a metro station I pass through often, so every time I do I say, “Hey, Frank, how you doin’?”

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BiggerBoat posted:

I can't take Jane seriously as an action hero. I always picture him as that doofus guy from Boogie Nights.

He's pretty good as a washed up cop in The Expanse.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Thomas Jane punisher movie is the only good punisher movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtP_QMWAuWE

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's cool that Batista has gently caress You money

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Zzulu posted:

Thomas Jane punisher movie is the only good punisher movie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtP_QMWAuWE

This was on the related videos for me and man people are getting good mileage from the KOTM trailer music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gL9WTlff0XQ

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Wheat Loaf posted:

Here's a piece of trivia: Black Panther reached the $700 million North American box office milestone this weekend, only the third movie ever to do so after Avatar and The Force Awakens; Disney was evidently keen to hit this mark because they have kept the movie in cinemas continuously since February.

They probably would have hit that sooner if they had postponed the DVD release.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I guess if you want to see dolph lundgrens naked rear end a few times it has that

Because for some reason that version of frank meditates naked in the subway tunnels

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Don't knock it until you try it

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:tutbutt:

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

BiggerBoat posted:

I can't take Jane seriously as an action hero. I always picture him as that doofus guy from Boogie Nights. Also, Bernthal was way better so there's that too.

I"m going to add that too my "holy poo poo they were that guy???" list along with Elizabeth Michell as Mrs Claus in the Santa Clause 2 and James Urbiniak as a foot fetishest in Sex In the City.

I can totally see Todd growing up to be Miller though.

The best thing about Netflix Punisher is her never really goes after Gang members or Gangsters, just corrupt CIA and PMCs.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

twistedmentat posted:

I"m going to add that too my "holy poo poo they were that guy???" list along with Elizabeth Michell as Mrs Claus in the Santa Clause 2 and James Urbiniak as a foot fetishest in Sex In the City.

I can totally see Todd growing up to be Miller though.

The best thing about Netflix Punisher is her never really goes after Gang members or Gangsters, just corrupt CIA and PMCs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Which movie is Natasha best in

• Locked thread