Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Currently listening to the Panzram supercut episode from Last Podcast on the Left, never heard that podcast before. Their cheeriness when someone talks about getting gang-raped is a bit weird. Actually kind of off-putting. Is that par for the course, or is that episode special? It's like the dollop, but they laugh about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

mike12345 posted:

Currently listening to the Panzram supercut episode from Last Podcast on the Left, never heard that podcast before. Their cheeriness when someone talks about getting gang-raped is a bit weird. Actually kind of off-putting. Is that par for the course, or is that episode special? It's like the dollop, but they laugh about everything.

I've only listened to the first ten minutes of a couple episodes, but yeah that's why I've never listened to the end. They always get a good chuckle out of rape and murder

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I feel like they got a bit better / smarter / more sensitive in some of the series not long after that (like Jonestown) but I have to give a strong caveat when recommending the show because of things like that.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

mike12345 posted:

It's usually just Henry making those jokes. Marcus is usually pretty serious and the host's only meaningful contribution to any discussion is saying "I'm 6 foot 7 :downs: " every five minutes.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Since I was talking about true crime, for those who might enjoy true crime with a bit more of a "shooting the poo poo" vibe, I'm really enjoying True Crime Garage for the most part.

Their episodes on the West Memphis Three have inspired me to rewatch the Paradise Lost films and I'm not gonna say that I'm positive the WM3 are innocent but I sure as poo poo wouldn't convict them and I think they're far more likely innocent than not.

IMO TCG is like if LPOTL (which I don't hate but there are definitely things that put me off of it as a regular listen) didn't have the gleeful laughs about rape and murder.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Jul 30, 2018

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
True crime guys is also pretty good, though the only true crime I listen to weekly after bouncing off a bunch of them is generation why.

Probably because it's just easy to listen to while working.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That new Moonpie 2:27 into What a Time to Be Alive episode 41 was loving transcendent.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

RareAcumen posted:

That new Moonpie 2:27 into What a Time to Be Alive episode 41 was loving transcendent.

Agreed. My favourite show for sure at the moment!

I also found LPOTL a bit much most of the time and the jokes weren’t really funny. Will check out those others though.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

RareAcumen posted:

I''m gonna make a WATTBA thread but I can't decide on the subtitle being "they crawl up my little leg" or "THOUSANDS OF FLIES - DO NOT OPEN"

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

padijun posted:

I''m gonna make a WATTBA thread but I can't decide on the subtitle being "they crawl up my little leg" or "THOUSANDS OF FLIES - DO NOT OPEN"

furries are the troops of the internet

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

calandryll posted:

You should listen to Done Disappeared by John David Booter, produced by John David Booter, music by John David Booter. It's a pretty good parody of all these true crime podcasts. Specially the ads.

I listened to Up and Vanished when it came out and I can understand a lot of the criticism. If I remember correctly, he doesn't really have the background for the kind of investigation that went on, granted I don't think he expected to go the way it went. But I also agree, his speech patterns are definitely off-putting.

That sword and scale spoof is top notch

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
Binging some Done Disappeared while packing for a trip. Thanks for the reminder! Didn’t realize they were parodying all the major podcasts on the trip.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

Kind of random request, but I spent the summer listening to all of the 2 Dope Queen podcast and love when it is just the two hosts being friends/being raunchy /trying to talk each other into anal.

So is there a podcast with comics having raunchy sex or relationship talk where the hosts are preferably women? Or one with male hosts where they do not suck?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does Gilmore Ball Z live up to the premise?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Guy Goodbody posted:

Does Gilmore Ball Z live up to the premise?

what the gently caress is this and why am I not listening to it now

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

sexpig by night posted:

what the gently caress is this and why am I not listening to it now

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

hey why are there other podcasts, this one nailed it

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Snowmankilla posted:

Kind of random request, but I spent the summer listening to all of the 2 Dope Queen podcast and love when it is just the two hosts being friends/being raunchy /trying to talk each other into anal.

So is there a podcast with comics having raunchy sex or relationship talk where the hosts are preferably women? Or one with male hosts where they do not suck?
I haven't listened to it for years now but Guys We hosed might fit the bill.

Snowmankilla
Dec 6, 2000

True, true

pangstrom posted:

I haven't listened to it for years now but Guys We hosed might fit the bill.

Thanks! I’ll go try it out.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Just finished listening to the NY Times Daily mini series "Caliphate".

I really hope that someone who edits that podcast saw the irony on using ads for Zip Recruiter when they were discussing how ISIS recruits people

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I want to listen to some crazy conspiracy theories

any recommendations?

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Astonishing legends if you want well-researched deep dives

Stuff they don’t want you to know is less vigorous and more willing to look at crazier stuff

Mysterious universe is hosted by a couple of dudes that realized there’s a lot more money in the game if you go along with pretty much everything but they still dig up fun stuff

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Cryptonaut is fun for crazy cryptid stuff.

Not Alone is good for general paranormal stuff and has a skeptic and a believer going back and forth.

What If? is good for making fun of paranormal stuff, but without going full debunking.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

friend of mine recommended "the higherside chats" any thoughts?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

tithin posted:

friend of mine recommended "the higherside chats" any thoughts?

it's good as hell if you want actual true believers talking about this poo poo. It's a very Coast to Coast kinda vibe.

Speaking of, the fact that there aren't a ton of Coast to Coast style podcasts is a failing of the internet, where are the conspiracy/paranormal podcasts for the actual people who believe this poo poo not just historical looks? Are those people still on message boards because they assume the jews run the podcast empire too? I've only found like three that were actually decent quality uploads, which I guess is very on brand for these people to be fair.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 10, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

sexpig by night posted:

Are those people still on message boards because they assume the jews run the podcast empire too?

They’re on 8chan ranting about Qanon

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Snowy posted:

They’re on 8chan ranting about Qanon

god I never thought I'd say this but we need more David Ickies in the world

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

Where are the conspiracy/paranormal podcasts for the actual people who believe this poo poo not just historical looks?

The dudes who do mysterious universe might actually believe it and their fans certainly do, though it’s much more towards reptilians/aliens than qanon/international jewish cabal

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It depends how true believer you want to get.

George Noory of Coast to Coast AM fame does a podcast called Beyond Belief. He's been CHUD-adjacent for a long time, so I don't listen but he's still doing his thing and is definitely the spiritual successor to Coast to Coast AM.

Whitley Strieber has a podcast called Dreamland and it's what you'd expect from the author of Communion.

The hosts of Mysterious Universe and Open Minds definitely fall on the side of true believers, though there is at least occasional skepticism sprinkled on top of a heaping helping of credulity. Most of the woo woo from those comes from a variety of guests who present a whole lot of crazy stuff with little challenge.

I've tried all those and while they're not my thing, they're the stuff I know about that probably falls closest to the request.

The ones I listen to that aren't skeptical tend to fall towards the hosts believing that something is happening, but without taking a position on exactly what is happening. Of those, here is what I would recommend:

Astonishing Legends - Scott and Forrest are definitely true believers, but when they tackle a topic, it is exhaustively researched and they're self-aware about the craziness they present.

Not Alone - Sam is a true believer and Jason is not. Sam mostly tells the stories and Jason interjects skepticism, with both presenting their conclusions at the end.

Our Strange Skies - Rob made a name for himself being a UFO expert for podcasters and has now launched his own podcast. He mostly relays the stories of various UFO cases and puts context around them, and is definitely a true believer.

Cryptonaut - Marc, Chris, and Rob present accounts of various strange creatures and clearly believe something crazy is happening to make people see this stuff.

What If? - Spencer and Ryan are, in their own words, skeptical except when it's more fun not to be skeptical and provide a humorous take on the weird.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea I guess my problem is mainly that I listen to most of those already and just want more. Stupid jerks not constantly making new podcasts tailored to me :argh:

But yea as far as true believer stuff MU, Our Strange Skies, and Beyond Belief are probably the closest to that nolstalgic lovely radio show feel without going full crazy. Into the Fray is also good for that.

If you want full crazy, The Conspiracy Show is literally just an AM radio conspiracy program uploaded in full and it's just beautiful. Like so many actual conspiracy people though the host is basically just full on CHUD at this point so the newer episodes aren't worth it most times.

Cryptonaut, Astonishing Legends, and Not Alone are pretty great for the more traditional podcasty kinda dynamics, and Monsters Among Us kinda straddles the line with a host taking in cryptid/ufo encounters from listeners and sharing them.

I have What If on my list but need to finally get around to listening there, any especially good episodes to hop on?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

What If? took a while to find it's footing. I would start with #24, which is David Paulides and Missing 411, that's a really good intro.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

What's a CHUD?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tithin posted:

What's a CHUD?

Trump supporter

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

tithin posted:

What's a CHUD?

Also known as a Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller. It's from a movie.

Edit: I thought I was in a D&D thread. CHUD in this context means Trump supporter.

Human Tornada fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Aug 11, 2018

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
whatup megathread

I set up a Patreon for my podcast because some of my listeners asked if I had one. Happy to take their $ to make producing my art better.

I'm not sure, though, what sort of things I ought to be offering as paywall content. I do a heavily-produced show which takes a lot of time to make, so I can't offer additional paywalled eps unless I'm making enough money off the Patreon that it's worth taking an extra couple days a month. Currently, I have the unreleased pilot episode and some 10-minute episode commentary tracks available to my patrons. However, this doesn't really feel like a lot of content, so are my patrons thanking me for my work or buying access to more of it? It's unclear I think.

I'd like to have more stuff up on the paywalled feed; maybe interviews or non-podcast original content I make, although that runs into the same problem of not really knowing what I want to be providing. I guess I'm looking for advice from people who've been in a similar boat - what you did, how you managed a Patreon for something that takes a while to make. I'd prefer to do a free and a paid ep each month, but need to grow the Patreon to the point where that makes financial sense.

Thanks!

(the show is sort of a Radiolab meets The F+ thing; storytelling about internet drama with lots of primary sources. The episodes are short - about twenty minutes - and take 6-10 hours to research/write/record. Thanks again.)

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Sounds like you might’ve jumped the gun on starting a patreon page, maybe set up a donation link for the people who really want to support you until there’s more demand instead? Have you asked your listeners for paid content suggestions?

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

WEH posted:

Sounds like you might’ve jumped the gun on starting a patreon page, maybe set up a donation link for the people who really want to support you until there’s more demand instead? Have you asked your listeners for paid content suggestions?

Makes sense. Probably should've done that instead, oops!

I asked and they want mini eps. I'll figure something out.

E:

Snowy posted:

Ok im going to need a link to this show, thanks

currently just up on soundcloud. First 3 eps are worse than 4 and 5.

a dozen swans fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Aug 15, 2018

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Ok im going to need a link to this show, thanks

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Have you considered shilling matresses, or one of those cook your own delivery food services? Seems to be all the rage these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD

a dozen swans posted:

(the show is sort of a Radiolab meets The F+ thing; storytelling about internet drama with lots of primary sources. The episodes are short - about twenty minutes - and take 6-10 hours to research/write/record. Thanks again.)

This sounds very much my thing! I like the F+ a lot but it's obviously just a bit of a laugh rather than storytelling and Reply All tends to tell big real life stories more than internet drama outside Yes Yes No so yours sounds like it'll fill a niche I'm interested in.