Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Also just remembered, Tom Waits has won some suits when ad campaigns used sound-alikes (I believe cause he had in writing that they had approached him and gotten a "no")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Krankenstyle posted:

Also just remembered, Tom Waits has won some suits when ad campaigns used sound-alikes (I believe cause he had in writing that they had approached him and gotten a "no")

What I find amazing about this is that it happened like, 3 times, you'd think after the first couple times, word would have traveled not to do it

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018
Are there any Hollywood movies where a black guy is romantically involved with a white woman and it isn't treated as a big deal? I was talking with a friend about that earlier today and the closest we could think of was Pulp Fiction, but Uma Thurman and Ving Rhames never appear on screen together.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I just saw An Evening with Beverly Luff Linn where Craig Robinson and Aubrey Plaza were an ex-couple, but race wasn't the issue.
If we're allowed to go the other way, Cruise and Thandie Newton in Mission Impossible 2 wasn't no thing.

These are things I've seen within the last week. I'll reserve this space to think harder on it.

edit: The last Spider-Man the other way around.

If you can count it without them sealing the deal yet, The Force Awakens is a big one.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 6, 2018

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Almost Blue posted:

Are there any Hollywood movies where a black guy is romantically involved with a white woman and it isn't treated as a big deal? I was talking with a friend about that earlier today and the closest we could think of was Pulp Fiction, but Uma Thurman and Ving Rhames never appear on screen together.

Ingrid Goes West?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
In Love Actually, Keira Knightley was married to Chiwetel Ejiofor.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Maybe this isn't exactly the right place, but here goes.

I watched Annihilation a few days ago, and there's no thread for it (that I could find, but I used the search function). That ending scene in the lighthouse was loving bonkers. Was the thing sentient? Did it know what it was doing? Or did it just mimic Natalie Portman, trying to learn?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Almost Blue posted:

Annihiliation, and some others. But yes, it's super duper rare. If this gets your goat, this podcast is an excellent one about this topic and others.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Leavemywife posted:

I watched Annihilation a few days ago, and there's no thread for it (that I could find, but I used the search function). That ending scene in the lighthouse was loving bonkers. Was the thing sentient? Did it know what it was doing? Or did it just mimic Natalie Portman, trying to learn?

it's on the second page of the forum: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3844398

I don't think your question is definitively answered anywhere though

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Thank you. I knew I shouldn't have trusted the search function.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Almost Blue posted:

Focus, the Will Smith and Margot Robbie thing

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Leavemywife posted:

From what I can remember of the book (The movie compresses a lot of the books into a single story - rightly so since books 2 and 3 are reallllly hard to get through. Definite slogs at times):

Area X is essentially some sort of sentient being taking over the Earth. It doesn't have a real definite "form" that we can see, but there is something called The Crawler which is as close as you get. Whenever the alien came to this area, it took over the body of a lighthouse keeper who was a former priest and he eventually becomes this indescribable sort-of-being-shaped light thing. Area X is it's experimenting in trying to mimic all forms of life thus making it easier for it to take over... I think. If you go into Area X you're actually whisked off to a different dimension/location in the universe or something...so you can't ever go back unless it's through the specific "door" I think. So whatever comes out of Area X is always a copy or "changed" version of you.

So to answer your question, yes it's sentient and knows what it's doing. It's trying to take over by making indistinguishable copies of lifeforms to extend it's "Reach."

I... think. Now that I typed that up I can't remember and may be mashing/making stuff up.

edit: Also yes I loving loved Annihilation and thought the last 30 minutes was just loving awesome.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Allyn posted:

Focus, the Will Smith and Margot Robbie thing

I was going to mention Hancock, I think a lot of Will Smith movies might fall under this. Even Men In Black has him and the white Morgue Lady.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Almost Blue posted:

Texas Chainsaw 3D

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Almost Blue posted:

In Alien Covenant, all the couples on board were married, and if I remember right, there was a black guy/white woman. They were killed in the shower.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Krankenstyle posted:

In one case they used a Screamin' Jay Hawkins cover of Heartattack and Vine.
Which is just fuckin' wild that it exists.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Screamin' Jay ftw imo

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Klungar posted:

I was going to mention Hancock, I think a lot of Will Smith movies might fall under this. Even Men In Black has him and the white Morgue Lady.

The interracial romance in Hancock is a major plot point though

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I seem to recall some drama with Hitch, where Eva Mendez had to be cast because international markets wouldn’t go for Smith and a white lady.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

There was originally a romance subplot in The Pelican Brief with Denzel Washington and Julia Roberts but it was removed, I think(?) because Denzel had gotten backlash after kissing a white woman in Malcolm X.

Anyway he's with Kelly Reilly in Flight & I don't recall race being brought up in/about their relationship (in the movie; there were a lot of think pieces on it irl).

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Krankenstyle posted:

There was originally a romance subplot in The Pelican Brief with Denzel Washington and Julia Roberts but it was removed, I think(?) because Denzel had gotten backlash after kissing a white woman in Malcolm X.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the person who is cool with Malcolm X except for the part where a black man kisses a white woman.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
The terrible film The Mountain Between Us (which I hope nobody saw) has Kate swindler (great autocorrect for Winslet) and Idris Elba. Race doesn’t seem to factor.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

therattle posted:

The terrible film The Mountain Between Us (which I hope nobody saw) has Kate swindler (great autocorrect for Winslet) and Idris Elba. Race doesn’t seem to factor.

Oh my god that movie. My wife and I caught it one lazy weekend and just MST3Ked through the whole thing. That's usually the kind of movie she likes and she just was laughing throughout. That's how bad it is.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is Idris Elba romantically involved with Jessica Chastain in Molly's Game? (I haven't seen it.)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is Idris Elba romantically involved with Jessica Chastain in Molly's Game? (I haven't seen it.)

He is not.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He was romantically involved with Charlize Theron in Prometheus however.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm trying to wrap my head around the person who is cool with Malcolm X except for the part where a black man kisses a white woman.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say this is a rare example of Black backlash rather than butt hurt White people.

But the speed by which interracial relationships became normal in the media is remarkable.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

therattle posted:

Do they actually kiss though? Thats the real taboo hollywood has

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

got any sevens posted:

I can’t remember. I’ve tried to blot it from my memory.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

got any sevens posted:

They have sex in a cabin, I think.

Imagine having Idris Elba in your movie and writing him that limp-dick monologue near the end. Molly's Game sucked, but Sorkin especially phoned in that script.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

got any sevens posted:

oh yeah there's a full on sex scene. When they're cold, injured and starving because... you know that's the way to conserve calories.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

They end up having sex, so a firm "yeah" on the kissing department. Even though *gasp* she is engaged!

edit, beaten on the gently caress

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

BonoMan posted:

oh yeah there's a full on sex scene. When they're cold, injured and starving because... you know that's the way to conserve calories.

And likely to feel really horny.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Almost Blue posted:

Rachel at the Wedding maybe? I'm not sure if that's Hollywood or indie, same with that one with Chris Rock and Julie Delpy, but I didn't see that one, so maybe race is a big issue in it.

Edit: It's a TV show, but happy endings lasted 3 seasons and 2 of the 6 main cast members (it was a bit of a Friends knockoff) was Damon Wayne's Jr and Eliza Coupe as a married couple. Maybe 2 episodes had his race be a major plot point, and even then it wasn't about them as a mixed race couple.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 8, 2018

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Did Sidney Poitier and Katharine Houghton kiss in Guess Who's Coming To Dinner or was that pushing the envelope too far for 1967? :v:

(I think it's great how the Best Picture nominees that year were Guess Who's Coming To Dinner, Bonnie & Clyde, The Graduate, In the Heat of the Night and... Doctor Doolittle.)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

Imagine having Idris Elba in your movie and writing him that limp-dick monologue near the end. Molly's Game sucked, but Sorkin especially phoned in that script.

I wanted to run up to the screen and shake it. Sorkin is such a little gently caress.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
I unironically enjoy Sorkin and this movie was not good. Goddamn

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Uma and Vingh appear on screen together in two scenes; First after Butchie throws the fight and Travolta comes to the locker room to get his orders from Vingh, and later they are eating breakfast together while Vingh tells Samuel Jackson that he is sending The Wolf.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Apologies in advance for what is a really general question, but I figure CineD is the best place for it.

I was reading this article and there was some interesting trivia: apparently Youtube's algorithm really likes to push channels and videos with weekly updates and video lengths between 10 and 12 minutes. This is changing the kind of content that is produced, as producers compete for views and ad money.

Which makes me wonder, why are films and tv the length they are now? An average film will be maybe a little under 2 hours, while tv and even Netflix series stick to the half hour or one-hour format. When did this become convention? Did the audience's taste dictate the current formats or was it because of technical limitations?

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Aug 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fruits of the sea posted:

Apologies in advance for what is a really general question, but I figure CineD is the best place for it.

I was reading this article and there was some interesting trivia: apparently Youtube's algorithm really likes to push channels and videos with weekly updates and video lengths between 10 and 12 minutes. This is changing the kind of content that is produced, as producers compete for views and ad money.

Which makes me wonder, why are films and tv the length they are now? An average film will be maybe a little under 2 hours, while tv and even Netflix series stick to the half hour or one-hour format. When did this become convention? Did the audience's taste dictate the current formats or was it because of technical limitations?

TV is scheduled so it makes sense for most of it to conform to hours or half-hours. But Netflix often doesn't stick to it because it's not scheduled and there aren't supposed to be commercial breaks. Except for shows they co-produce like Riverdale.