Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
That looks like 2400 baud to me (all of our VT100s ran at 2400 and when we bumped it to 9600 the animations were way too fast to watch).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Terminal animations are also really inefficient, because for every character that's actually displayed on the screen it's also having to send 10-15 characters worth of escape codes to move the cursor around so that each part is drawn in the correct place.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Also known as the “BUTTS” per second rate, or how many times 10 PRINT “BUTTS” 20 GOTO 10 can fill the screen at a Sears display kiosk.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Hmm, with 9600 baud/8-N-1 you get 160 BUTTS per second, or about 137 if you need both CR and LF characters to do a new line. In the former case, that's 6.4 screens of BUTTS per second or only about 5.5 in the latter case assuming an 80x25 terminal.

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 12:52 on Aug 3, 2018

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SLOSifl posted:

Also known as the “BUTTS” per second rate, or how many times 10 PRINT “BUTTS” 20 GOTO 10 can fill the screen at a Sears display kiosk.

I remember doing that when I was a little kid, but I don't remember what hilarious thing I used to make it say. In the best timeline it would have been "HELP ME" but I doubt I was that witty.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I was an RA in college and we had a phone with caller ID in the RA office. At my school all the on-campus phones could dial each other by 4-digit extension, but if you called the RA office phone that way, the ID would show the full 10-digit phone number to reach that line externally.

My dorm had a speakerphone box outside so guests could dial a room to get their friends who lived there to let them in. We dialed the RA office from it to get its 10-digit number, called that from a cell and turns out the box would auto-pickup the call and you could talk from your cell and it'd come out of the speaker in the box. Since the box was where everyone would congregate to smoke butts when they were drinking on weekends we used this to just goof off and mess with people out there, saying things like "dude I just pissed in a fuckin dryer bro check it out" and "help! I'm trapped in this box!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Many elevators have emergency phones with routable numbers and automatically pick‐up.

Some of them pick up silently. It’s the perfect corporate bug.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Ask me about working in a SCIF and the elevators keep getting survey calls.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Platystemon posted:

Many elevators have emergency phones with routable numbers and automatically pick‐up.

Yeah some of the elevators had dial pad/callbox things and we thought doing the same prank in an elevator went from "cheeky fun" to "light terrorism"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“You need life insurance!”

“Sir, this is a McDonald’s drive‐through.”

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Platystemon posted:

“You need life insurance!”

“Sir, this is a McDonald’s drive‐through.”
Great I’ll take a bag of burgers as well, bless trump

Bless trump sir, please push your car to the next window

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Ask me about working in a SCIF and the elevators keep getting survey calls.

Same but a Chinese scammer. And it was my desk.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One thing I don't think anyone will miss is the dizzying variety of plugs and sockets for mobile phone chargers.

Why did it take them so long to standardise?

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10
they only went with a standard because the eu forced them to

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If a company didn't have to meet a standard, why would they? It was much easier to create buyer lock-in with your brand of devices if all of your devices had proprietary connectors. Plus, back in those days, cell phones weren't the end-all be-all devices, so if Sony used one connector for their walkman mp3 players that their phones also used (or didn't), it wasn't the end of the world. Plus 2 also they could then charge you whatever they wanted for a replacement because it was less likely that a that a third party would make a replacement. Add into that fact that USB was still fairly new on the scene, nobody at the time knew it would become so ubiquitous. I mean, at the time, firewire was a legit competitor, and USB still has a fucky communication standard at the board/IC level that has been hacked and willed into modernity through sheer processing power. Do you remember how lovely USB (1) was? The iPod used firewire for a few generations as well, because it was legitimately better. Why would any manufacturer go all-in on a port that may not succeed or may eventually be replaced? It was only after legislation that manufacturers finally bowed.

tl;dr money and fear.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

One thing I don't think anyone will miss is the dizzying variety of plugs and sockets for mobile phone chargers.

At one point there was some work towards a standard that wasn't micro USB. Somewhere around 2005 I think. Don't know what ever happened with that. Probably got abandoned.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Platystemon posted:

One time in a hotel I accidentally hit the phone button when pushing the floor button with the hand holding my suitcazs (the bag booped the call button.) The front desk clerk who answered cut off my apologies with "it's ok, it happens all the time."

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Standards are good; everybody should have one.

See also: SCSI connectors in the '90s, serial cables before USB, video cables before HDMI....

...and some dark night we can gather around a campfire and I'll shine a flashlight up into my face and tell you all about pre-10-Base-T network cabling...hermaphrodite cables...AUIs...thicknet...vaaaaaampire taps.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

One of my old gripes with tech was the lack of a flat pack battery standard, sorta like AA, AAA, C, D, etc, but for laptops and cellphones and cordless phones. Then Apple innovated up a brilliant solution to that.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Because then Apple couldn't charge you $35 for 3 feet of wire.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
My only experience with 9V batteries every year is when I swap out the old ones in smoke detectors.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SubG posted:

Standards are good; everybody should have one.

See also: SCSI connectors in the '90s, serial cables before USB, video cables before HDMI....

...and some dark night we can gather around a campfire and I'll shine a flashlight up into my face and tell you all about pre-10-Base-T network cabling...hermaphrodite cables...AUIs...thicknet...vaaaaaampire taps.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Cursed image

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Chinese Finger traps... get that poo poo out of here!
Make yer way through this impossible maze.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
That ain't no terminator.

Gonz posted:

My only experience with 9V batteries every year is when I swap out the old ones in smoke detectors.

I've got a whole bunch of digital meters that need them, like the humble fluke 87 DMM, cheap no name back up DMMs, high capacitance meter for large AC motor caps, tacho for fan speeds, digital tape/distance meter, vacuum gauge, thermometers, portable weigh scales, dB meter - there's some more I forget.
I got so sick of buying them 10 years ago I resorted to rechargeables, but early versions sucked with only ~8.4V and the battery low icon or faults would show up far too quickly.
I'm glad they finally came out with low self discharge 9.2V batteries but they ran at ~$20 ea, and then more for a dedicated 9v charger to keep care of such an expensive battery.
But more than that I'm glad some meters finally now only needed AA batteries rather than loving 9v! So my new fluke is OK, but I have a fleet of meters that need 9v if I ever wish to use them again.

Fo3 has a new favorite as of 10:07 on Aug 5, 2018

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Regular Nintendo posted:

Yeah some of the elevators had dial pad/callbox things and we thought doing the same prank in an elevator went from "cheeky fun" to "light terrorism"

There's a great Defcon talk about how Elevators are basically open doors that go wherever you want them to and you can do hilariously evil things with them trivially.

For example, the bitting of the firefighter's key for Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and New Hampsire is public knowledge and cannot be changed.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

If a company didn't have to meet a standard, why would they? It was much easier to create buyer lock-in with your brand of devices if all of your devices had proprietary connectors. Plus, back in those days, cell phones weren't the end-all be-all devices, so if Sony used one connector for their walkman mp3 players that their phones also used (or didn't), it wasn't the end of the world. Plus 2 also they could then charge you whatever they wanted for a replacement because it was less likely that a that a third party would make a replacement. Add into that fact that USB was still fairly new on the scene, nobody at the time knew it would become so ubiquitous. I mean, at the time, firewire was a legit competitor, and USB still has a fucky communication standard at the board/IC level that has been hacked and willed into modernity through sheer processing power. Do you remember how lovely USB (1) was? The iPod used firewire for a few generations as well, because it was legitimately better. Why would any manufacturer go all-in on a port that may not succeed or may eventually be replaced? It was only after legislation that manufacturers finally bowed.

tl;dr money and fear.

I still have my first MP3 player in a box somewhere. I specifically bought one that used the printer port because I didn't think my computer at the time had a USB port. I found out a few months later that it had 2 on the back and they were not labeled in any fashion.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I still have my first MP3 player in a box somewhere. I specifically bought one that used the printer port because I didn't think my computer at the time had a USB port. I found out a few months later that it had 2 on the back and they were not labeled in any fashion.

Did you have to open up Word Perfect and print your songs to it?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cojawfee posted:

Did you have to open up Word Perfect and print your songs to it?

Nah, it had it's on software, but I did manage to find a review of the thing:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/508

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
And half are 50 ohm, the other half is 75 ohm, and even if you paint them red and blue you’ll STILL get them mixed up.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Heh!

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

loss edits getting 3-dimensional

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Neito posted:

There's a great Defcon talk about how Elevators are basically open doors that go wherever you want them to and you can do hilariously evil things with them trivially.

For example, the bitting of the firefighter's key for Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and New Hampsire is public knowledge and cannot be changed.

That'd be this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHf1vD5_b5I

Yes, it's an hour long, but it's a fascinating watch. (Really, all of Deviant Ollam's talks are worth a look.)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

A portrait of multiple generations of obsolete network tech:

A knot of BNC Ts (no terminators), an AUI to 10-Base-T transceiver (off my R4K Indigo), and a PCMCIA 10/100 adapter.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Neito posted:

To clarify, the bitting code is specified in the text of their laws.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

SubG posted:

A portrait of multiple generations of obsolete network tech:

A knot of BNC Ts (no terminators), an AUI to 10-Base-T transceiver (off my R4K Indigo), and a PCMCIA 10/100 adapter.

I once used an AUI to thinnet connector, and then I think a dual thinnet/10baseT hub to connect a modern computer to a DEC Alpha box running VMS. This was circa 2008.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Pham Nuwen posted:

I once used an AUI to thinnet connector, and then I think a dual thinnet/10baseT hub to connect a modern computer to a DEC Alpha box running VMS. This was circa 2008.
Er, excuse me. Based on the date and architecture I believe you meant to say OpenVMS.
:goonsay:

My first shitposting on the internet was done from VAX running VMS.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The first wintel box that I built myself from off-the-shelf parts from Fry’s (about 1996) had an Ethernet card with all three then-popular interfaces all plumbed into it: RJ45/10baseT, BNC, and ThickNet, all on the same PCI card. If this wasn’t in fact pre-PCI.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

The first wintel box that I built myself from off-the-shelf parts from Fry’s (about 1996) had an Ethernet card with all three then-popular interfaces all plumbed into it: RJ45/10baseT, BNC, and ThickNet, all on the same PCI card. If this wasn’t in fact pre-PCI.

These were super common in donated computers that we build/used in my comp sci classes in highschool. This would be around 99-02. Most of them were old Pentiums and out of a pile of computers we maybe built 2-3 that could reliably run windows 98/2000 and a few file servers with hillariously small hard drives running some kind of linux.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Plinkey posted:

a few file servers with hillariously small hard drives running some kind of linux.

They were file servers, not files servers.