Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yes that was the joke i made in my original post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Shear Modulus posted:

yes that was the joke i made in my original post

Appreciate you playing tee-ball and letting me take a step up to bat.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

Elysium posted:

Just cancel the Sapphire outright and then sign up for a preferred the next day.

astral posted:

Product change the regular Sapphire to a freedom or freedom unlimited, then you can sign up for CSP/CSR.

oh poo poo i can do that? I have a freedom already but i can change the CS to an unlimited and then sign up for that. nice.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Iron Lung posted:

oh poo poo i can do that? I have a freedom already but i can change the CS to an unlimited and then sign up for that. nice.

You can have multiple freedoms, better to sign up for the unlimited and reap that sweet, sweet miniature sign-up bonus.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Speaking of sign-up bonuses, the BoA Cash Rewards card (and variants) are up to a $200 signup bonus on $500 in purchases in the first 90 days:

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/cash-back-credit-card/

3% gas, 2% at grocery stores/wholesale clubs up to $2.5k in those categories. 1% on everything else. You get an extra 10% bonus when you redeem your cash back into BoA savings, or a higher bonus if you have a lot of money with them.

They're also offering 25k mile signup bonus on their travel card (worth $250 towards travel purchases) after $1k spent:
https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/travel-rewards-credit-card/

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

TraderStav posted:

Good news, knowing WF, they probably already signed me up for all of those accounts.

Perfect in every way.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I have 4k outstanding from a europe vacation on a chase saphire card that I don't want to use until its paid off. I'm currently paying 250 a month.

I travel alot for work and have a bunch of travel coming up that I need rentals and hotels for. My job cuts me a check to pay off my CC immediately after travel.

should i consolidate my 4k outstanding debt onto a low rate card? if so, which?

secondly, what secondary card should i get for just these work related purchases? I don't want to keep stacking work expenses onto my personal CC. i have a 640ish score i believe.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Waroduce posted:

I have 4k outstanding from a europe vacation on a chase saphire card that I don't want to use until its paid off. I'm currently paying 250 a month.

I travel alot for work and have a bunch of travel coming up that I need rentals and hotels for. My job cuts me a check to pay off my CC immediately after travel.

secondly, what secondary card should i get for just these work related purchases? I don't want to keep stacking work expenses onto my personal CC. i have a 640ish score i believe.

Best balance transfer card is probably Chase Slate. As a bonus, it will be a little easier to get approved since you have an existing Chase relationship and haven't applied for any other cards for a while.

Going forward: Don't ever carry a balance on a credit card unless it is 0% APR and you think you can pay it off in half the time you have left on the 0% APR period (i.e. never go above ~3 months of payments if you have 6 months of 0% APR left).

Best general purpose travel card is probably the Chase Sapphire Reserve. But if you have specific airlines/hotels that you want, then other cards might be more useful.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Best balance transfer card is probably Chase Slate. As a bonus, it will be a little easier to get approved since you have an existing Chase relationship and haven't applied for any other cards for a while.

Going forward: Don't ever carry a balance on a credit card unless it is 0% APR and you think you can pay it off in half the time you have left on the 0% APR period (i.e. never go above ~3 months of payments if you have 6 months of 0% APR left).

Best general purpose travel card is probably the Chase Sapphire Reserve. But if you have specific airlines/hotels that you want, then other cards might be more useful.

The Slate is great, but not in this case. You can't transfer balances from other Chase cards.
Nerdwallet has a list they update pretty frequently (Nerdwallet gets paid for these recommendations, but they still are usually decent). https://www.creditkarma.com/credit-cards/i/best-balance-transfer-cards/
Discover and American Express Everyday look like good options with 0% APR introductory periods.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Reading that citi simplicity seems like it would be good cause i can transfer my europe balance and go back to using chase for my travel and buisness. decent plan?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Waroduce posted:

Reading that citi simplicity seems like it would be good cause i can transfer my europe balance and go back to using chase for my travel and buisness. decent plan?

That’s alright if you are sure the next travel expenses on the Chase are gonna be paid off right away by your company and the balance will be zeroed out.

Next time don’t use your CSR for travel (or anything, really) unless you know you can pay it off immediately... all that interest completely negates any points you earned on it.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Waroduce posted:

The City Simplicity has a 5% balance transfer fee, so transferring 4k to it will cost you $200.
American Express Everyday doesn't charge a balance transfer fee, Discover's is 3%. (I thought there was a limited window where it was also 0%, but I was mistaken).

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Waroduce posted:

"Consolidate" implies you have outstanding debt across multiple revolving balances. Is it just that one or are their others?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Thoguh posted:

"Consolidate" implies you have outstanding debt across multiple revolving balances. Is it just that one or are their others?

oh its just one sorry 4k.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Girlfriend and I just booked roundtrip business class flights on ANA from Seattle to Tokyo, as well as Tokyo lodging using a combination of amex and ultimate rewards points. Feels good! Gonna be booking 5/6 nights in Kyoto with ultimate rewards points too.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.
Alright, I did the product change a few days ago and just applied and was approved for the CSR with a larger credit line than I'll ever need. Does it show the new member rewards balance you need to hit somewhere in the ultimate rewards page or elsewhere? I'll get the packet and card in about a week but it already showed it in my account so I was just poking around and want to make sure I actually receive that benefit, otherwise I'll just cancel the card most likely.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Iron Lung posted:

Alright, I did the product change a few days ago and just applied and was approved for the CSR with a larger credit line than I'll ever need. Does it show the new member rewards balance you need to hit somewhere in the ultimate rewards page or elsewhere? I'll get the packet and card in about a week but it already showed it in my account so I was just poking around and want to make sure I actually receive that benefit, otherwise I'll just cancel the card most likely.

You can always send a secure message in to ask if it's attached to your account and/or what your progress is. I don't remember Chase having a bonus tracker, though a few days after you've hit the target spending you'll see in the ultimate reward points section of the site that you have all those points pending.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nur_Neerg posted:

Girlfriend and I just booked roundtrip business class flights on ANA from Seattle to Tokyo, as well as Tokyo lodging using a combination of amex and ultimate rewards points. Feels good! Gonna be booking 5/6 nights in Kyoto with ultimate rewards points too.

Holy poo poo, how many points did you have?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Holy poo poo, how many points did you have?

170,000 Amex points for the flights
44,000 Hyatt points from a sign-up bonus I'd been sitting on+
36,000 more UR points for 4 nights at the Hyatt in Ginza
She found a place she likes in Kyoto for 7k UR points per night, will likely spend another 42k there

Also going to put my bonus night from the Hyatt card in Tokyo for the day before our flight home.

Only thing out of pocket will be a ryokan stay along the way.

Nur_Neerg fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Aug 11, 2018

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
I see all these crazy redemptions for travel points, but most are for fancy options like business class tickets or hotel suites. If I'm fine with coach and airbnb/cheap hotels, does that make the cash redemption for UR points worth it?

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

drainpipe posted:

I see all these crazy redemptions for travel points, but most are for fancy options like business class tickets or hotel suites. If I'm fine with coach and airbnb/cheap hotels, does that make the cash redemption for UR points worth it?

No, you are still better off using for travel. I redeem for cheap coach flights as I fly first class all the time for work so the novelty wore off long ago. You can transfer to United or just get tickets on your airline of choice from the Chase portal. As for hotels, you can transfer to Hyatt for nice rooms at sub-AirBNB price. There are also a lot of small boutique hotels on the Chase portal if you look, it’s basically Expedia.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Animal posted:

No, you are still better off using for travel. I redeem for cheap coach flights as I fly first class all the time for work so the novelty wore off long ago. You can transfer to United or just get tickets on your airline of choice from the Chase portal. As for hotels, you can transfer to Hyatt for nice rooms at sub-AirBNB price. There are also a lot of small boutique hotels on the Chase portal if you look, it’s basically Expedia.
I'm pretty sure it actually is just an expedia groups listing. Spring 2017 I booked nights for a 8 day trip thru Helsinki, Tallinn, Riga and Stockholm with CSR points(that card bonus was so good) - got confirmation emails for all 4 hotels. Upon arriving in Riga at 10pm after a 12 hour Tallinn->Riga countryside sights bus tour with my 6 month pregnant wife, we discovered our hotel never got our reservation and was completely booked. Also it was a holiday weekend so everywhere was pretty booked. Thankfully the desk clerk at the hotel we were supposed to stay did eventually manage to get us into a hotel room nearby for roughly the same cost. Chase determined somehow the reservation never made it from their platform to Expedia, despite the other 3 hotel locations booking fine. Got the room refunded, but that was a big hassle and an hour on the phone with Chase Customer Service.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I should've gotten this Uber Visa card ages ago since it has some great Cashback value for me since I eat out all the time. My Current WF Rewards card otoh is pretty much 1% except in with specific outlets or in specific uses that I have to activate to take advantage of. 0% interest and fees is pretty good though as long as I keep putting $25 in it.

Also, the USAA Limitless Card in the OP is now no more. Only the rewards page is googleable but it can't be applied for any more.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

The Chase travel portal is provided by Connexions loyalty, but they are slowly transitioning to using an Expedia-branded portal instead. So far it's only on the regular Freedom but it will eventually appear for the other cards.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

astral posted:

The Chase travel portal is provided by Connexions loyalty, but they are slowly transitioning to using an Expedia-branded portal instead. So far it's only on the regular Freedom but it will eventually appear for the other cards.

Exactly this. Anything that happened in the past was with the other provider, will be Expedia going forward for all UR soon.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Xelkelvos posted:

I should've gotten this Uber Visa card ages ago since it has some great Cashback value for me since I eat out all the time. My Current WF Rewards card otoh is pretty much 1% except in with specific outlets or in specific uses that I have to activate to take advantage of. 0% interest and fees is pretty good though as long as I keep putting $25 in it.

Also, the USAA Limitless Card in the OP is now no more. Only the rewards page is googleable but it can't be applied for any more.

I love the Uber Visa card, the phone insurance has come in handy.

The Vikings
Jul 3, 2004

ODIN!!!!!

Nap Ghost

extravadanza posted:

I'm pretty sure it actually is just an expedia groups listing. Spring 2017 I booked nights for a 8 day trip thru Helsinki, Tallinn, Riga and Stockholm with CSR points(that card bonus was so good) - got confirmation emails for all 4 hotels. Upon arriving in Riga at 10pm after a 12 hour Tallinn->Riga countryside sights bus tour with my 6 month pregnant wife, we discovered our hotel never got our reservation and was completely booked. Also it was a holiday weekend so everywhere was pretty booked. Thankfully the desk clerk at the hotel we were supposed to stay did eventually manage to get us into a hotel room nearby for roughly the same cost. Chase determined somehow the reservation never made it from their platform to Expedia, despite the other 3 hotel locations booking fine. Got the room refunded, but that was a big hassle and an hour on the phone with Chase Customer Service.

Same. I posted about a similar incident a while back where the hotel never got my reservation booked through the chase portal and everything else in town was booked up. I had another incident recently where the hotel got the reservation but not the payment from chase so they charged my card directly too.

Never going to book through the portal again, too much risk of it getting screwed up. Transfer those points and book directly instead.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I love the Uber Visa card, the phone insurance has come in handy.

Last night my iPhone screen and phone back shattered and I got a crack in the LCD itself, so I'm going to make my first claim this week. It's probably super suspicious that it happened so close to new phones being announced, but it really did happen!

Initio
Oct 29, 2007
!
I’d just check with the hotel/airline after you make the reservation.

It’s probably still worth checking into transferring points to the relevant loyalty program, but it’s not guaranteed that one is a better deal than the other. For example a night in a hotel may be a $150 cash rate or 30,000 Marriott points, so you’d save about $200 booking through the chase portal. Of course the opposite can be true as well. I just booked a flight for 40,000 United points that would have cost me $1500 to buy.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
The CSR is nice but the Uber Visa card almost makes me regret having it. I doubt I get $150 (the effective cost of the CSR) more in rewards value by having the CSR instead of the Uber Visa. Has anyone done this calculation for themselves?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Something Offal posted:

The CSR is nice but the Uber Visa card almost makes me regret having it. I doubt I get $150 (the effective cost of the CSR) more in rewards value by having the CSR instead of the Uber Visa. Has anyone done this calculation for themselves?

CSR is going to become significantly more lovely in a couple weeks: https://thepointsguy.com/news/devaluation-coming-to-csr-benefits/

ThePointsGuy also values UR points at $.021, so after your first year with the CSR, you'd have to spend $7142 to make back $150 worth of points (though, I guess these would be worth $225 if redeeming for travel through the UR portal?). I'd say cancel the CSR after the first year and use the Uber Visa.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Sirotan posted:

CSR is going to become significantly more lovely in a couple weeks: https://thepointsguy.com/news/devaluation-coming-to-csr-benefits/

ThePointsGuy also values UR points at $.021, so after your first year with the CSR, you'd have to spend $7142 to make back $150 worth of points (though, I guess these would be worth $225 if redeeming for travel through the UR portal?). I'd say cancel the CSR after the first year and use the Uber Visa.

TPG's valuation of Chase points is also ludicrously high IMHO. Most redemptions will be for $.015 per point through the travel portal, $.01 per point for cash back. You have to do some confusing point-transfer moves for very specific international flights to achieve a higher value.

I agree that I should probably cancel the CSR. Just wish the Uber Visa was metal? :)

Now that I think about it, I can't actually see any advantages the CSR has besides rarely-used travel insurance stuff that I wouldn't get because work flights don't go on my card. As you said I'd have to spend $7142 to simply break even vs. the Uber.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 14, 2018

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Metal cards are poo poo. How am I supposed to even get rid of my CSR? Can't put it through the shredder right?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Something Offal posted:

TPG's valuation of Chase points is also ludicrously high IMHO. Most redemptions will be for $.015 per point through the travel portal, $.01 per point for cash back. You have to do some confusing point-transfer moves for very specific international flights to achieve a higher value.

I agree that I should probably cancel the CSR. Just wish the Uber Visa was metal? :)

Now that I think about it, I can't actually see any advantages the CSR has besides rarely-used travel insurance stuff that I wouldn't get because work flights don't go on my card. As you said I'd have to spend $7142 to simply break even vs. the Uber.

He values them at $0.21 specifically because you can transfer and it's easy to get that value or higher. If you aren't going to transfer then you'd need $10k spend and you're still losing value against a straight 2% cash back card.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

potatoducks posted:

Metal cards are poo poo. How am I supposed to even get rid of my CSR? Can't put it through the shredder right?

You can bring it to a branch or request an envelope from Chase where you can mail it in for disposal.

You can cut it up yourself if you have the appropriate tool(s).

asur
Dec 28, 2012

potatoducks posted:

I've never understood this. Just throw the card in the trash. The chance of someone finding it is minimal, they shouldn't be able to charge anything on it, and even if they do it's a two second phone call to declare it as fraud.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

potatoducks posted:

The metal card is a pain, it interferes my building pass and my train ticket NFC, and it keeps tearing my super thin wallet. I've had several come apart, where the plastic sides come apart. I'd take a plastic CSP in a second.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

potatoducks posted:

Chase sent me an envelope to send it back to them when I product changed my CSP to a Freedom.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

asur posted:

I've never understood this. Just throw the card in the trash. The chance of someone finding it is minimal, they shouldn't be able to charge anything on it, and even if they do it's a two second phone call to declare it as fraud.

If you've PCed the card instead of cancelling it, the old card will continue to work. Then, if and when someone finds it, it's a varying degree of hassle depending on how much you use that card and the timing of the fraud to have to sort it all out. It's completely reasonable for people to not want to have to deal with that.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

The metal card is a pain, it interferes my building pass and my train ticket NFC, and it keeps tearing my super thin wallet. I've had several come apart, where the plastic sides come apart. I'd take a plastic CSP in a second.

You can usually request a plastic version by mentioning that the metal version doesn't work in a parking meter or you are planning to travel somewhere that requires taking a carbon imprint of the card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

The CSR really becomes a great card if:

*You combine it with a Freedom Unlimited for general spend, and maybe the Freedom if the categories are not dumb.
*You travel a lot and use the Priority Pass lounges and Global Entry.
*You are smart about transferring points to United, Hyatt, etc.
*The portal covers your needs for car rentals, boutique hotels, and airlines you can’t transfer to (I may use it to book a Delta flight so I can’t get the Delta MQM and get to Gold.)

If you meet all these criteria then it’s a beast. I easily get over $1,000 back a year not counting the $300 travel credit. But I am a frequent traveler and Priority Pass alone easily covers the $150(effective) AF.

I think the Uber card is better for most people, assuming Barclays doesn’t gently caress you over at some point.

edit: oh and you can easily meet TPG for the .021 valuation if you plan your vacations ahead or if you do the contrary and need to book hotels and flights at the last minute for which loyalty points are almost always a far better value than paying cash.

Animal fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 14, 2018